April 17, 2014 | 1532 users online

Fragrances - Frederic Malle - L'Eau d'Hiver

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think the brilliant part of this fragrance (in more than one sense of the word) is the iris topnote. It's like a sparkling rime of ice that breaks to reveal the sweet warmth of heliotrope and honey. Most "winter" fragrances don't evoke winter--they are meant to serve as an antidote to it. But this one actually has a moment of cold before you get to the coziness. Very comforting.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 7:13:00 PM More reviews by acentola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I finally bought the 3 travel sizes of this, unsniffed, from Aedes because I couldn't find anyone who would part with any of theirs :).
I love it. Again, right up my alley. bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, honey, carnation, heliotrope, caramel and musk. Initially I get a blast of heliotrope and bergamot and it quickly settles down into PlayDoh territory. Frankly, at this point, it smells just like Lush's Snowcake. However, whereas Snowcake continues to smell like playdoh, Hiver starts developing a hint of honey and an aniseed scent (angelica). The heliotrope continues to linger and the scent becomes slightly floral, the hawthorne peeks its head out (hooray!) with the musk developing in the background, and on my skin it stays at this stage. This is a beautiful, snuggly skin scent that is sophisticated yet quiet. A winner!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 11:34:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

One of my eternal love affairs and with the ever so helpful cliché, a fragrance that is bigger than the sum of its parts. I fail each time I try to describe it to even myself. L’eau d’Hiver is full of contradictions and magic on me; how can something be both so dry and so honeyed? How can honey be such a transparent note, earthy iris so cold and warm at the same time? If I try to break it into notes, I even don’t like everything I come across. There is even a weird, grassy odd note. Still, L'eau d'Hiver transports me to another time and place where serenity reigns. I feel assured and content there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

This is absolutely a emotionally charged scent for me. Though subtle it evolves beautifully . Salty and slightly peppery to begin becoming slightlycrunchy with white powder- yes, like fresh snow ....onwards into a slightly sweet skin scent . Heliptrope and iris stand out on me with veyr light hints of honey. It's warm and cold ,clean and reminds me of expensive soap . Very beautiful . It has surprising tenacity for a light scent . A versatile scent and signature scent worthy. I hope this is never ever discontinued.
Whereas Apres L'ondee is melancholic, L'eau d'Hiver is just wistful and dreamy.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2011 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Tucansam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The top notes are sheer JCE style which appeals to me. Too bad the powder murdered all hope I had of enjoying this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Like a slightly peppery version of Blanc, in that it's a cool sheer floral perfect for summer. Smooth and somehow white, like softly musk scented soap. It's rather lovely if very sheer, and I don't get the dreaded powdery notes at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by babsvs

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

L'Eau d'Hiver is a skin scent that starts with bergamont and then decends into white powderiness. Initially, I feared that it would be too floral for me, but the honey and musk balance the forals beautifully.

I am crazy about the dry down, when L'Eau d'Hiver seems to become about skin.It is a beautifully executed abstract, a delicate white powdered sweetness that combines with the skin.

L'Eau d'Hiver is said to be inspired by Apres l'Ondee. Both fragrances are the delicate and shy type. This makes L 'Eau d'Hiver a great fragrance for any situation where you do not want major sillage, and any situation where you want your skin to seem very special.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 1:17:00 PM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This fragrance starts out smelling like an anthropomorphic cartoon flower (like the ones in Alice in Wonderland) chewing a piece of Chiclet gum. Then suddenly I smell nothing at all, as if the gum-chewing cartoon flower was just vaporized by the Invisible Man. This fragrance is really nothing special--especially for the price. I thought it was just my chemistry, but other reviewers are saying the same thing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by 9154mf

This is a very light fragrance but something in it annoys me, its smells like a very soft verbena although I see that's not actually a note. Anyway this is just blah for me.