Chanel Coco

4.2

on 9/1/2015 2:00:00 AM

There is not a single Chanel fragrance that works with my chemistry, and this is no exception. I love spicy orientals and the notes on paper should be right up my alley, but they're not. I've been trying this on and off for years hoping that one day my body chemistry would change and it would work with me. It never has. Instead it simply smells like orange peel and sandalwood potpourri. Dry, dusty and dull, and worst of all, cheap. Yes, this smells really dull and cheap on me, like something that should have cost less than $20.

What's the point of Chanel if it makes me smell cheap? Such a disappointment.

on 5/31/2015 9:25:00 AM

I, also, came around late to Coco Chanel. I wanted badly to like it years ago, but it just didn't work on me. It was a bit "potion-ish". A beautiful smell, but all woods, spices and something like a wine-based, scent.

I had to give it away as I felt like I was wearing "someone else's" perfume. Wrong chemistry.

My mother asked for a bottle of Coco for her birthday last year. Immediately wary, I hedged because I bought her a bottle years ago, too, and she wasn't crazy about it, either - for the same reason.

Then. Just yesterday. She dropped by to visit and gave back the "dreaded" :) LOL bottle of Coco Chanel that I bought her last year. Didn't think much of it, and just put it aside.

After they left, I tried it on and at first, it was the same "anti-climatic" it was 10 years ago. Then, a few hours later, I found myself enveloped in this "smell." Oh my gosh - it was ADDICTIVE BEAUTIFUL. Took me a few minutes to realize it was coming from my shirt and it was COCO CHANEL.

Like the other reviewer said - and rightly so - it's a creamy, beautiful but "snuggly" scent. It is such a comfortable beauty, I could not stop smelling my shirt. As the night went on, I found myself sniffing my shirt and realized that I was doing to "calm myself" as that is the exactly the effect it has on me. Comfortable, beauty with just a hint of spice, then creamy again. My skin chemistry changed over the past 10 years, thank God, so now I can appreciate this "snuggly, masterpiece."

I sent my mother home with my Allure and Eu De Cologne, and she really enjoyed the scent of both, so we sort of "broke even." :)

on 5/17/2015 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I happened upon this fragrance by accident just yesterday. I was at the Chanel counter to buy a friend a graduation present - a few bottles of Chanel nail laquer. Waiting for the woman to ring me up, I sprayed this. I've always been a fan of Coco Mademoiselle, and I've known that this perfume was the original formulation which inspired the former. I sprayed my wrist. GASP! It was loud and I was embarrassed that the saleswoman would walk back over, smirk, and think to herself, "Foolish girl, you can't just go around spraying that stuff!" It smelled very much, at first like No 5. I was rang up, I pulled the sleeves down on my shirt to hide the loud smells, and I ran out of the department store to the next errand on my list for the day.

Fast forward 10 minutes. I was fingering through dresses on a clothing rack when something kept hitting my nose. It was soft, creamy. It smelled like the musky, soft fragrance i've always wanted but have NEVER been able to find or capture (closest thing to "soft" or "comfortable" i've ever found is The Body Shop's White Musk oil.). I looked around, no one. I smelled the dress, nothing. It wasn't until after that I realized the MONSTER I sprayed earlier had morphed into a comfortable, coy, cuddly thing. I closed my eyes and inhaled again. I'm no "nose," but, to me, it smelled like cashmere scarves, knitted sweaters and the smell of skin on unwashed sheets. It was so sexy, so tame and very "me."

I got back to my car, my boyfriend leaned in, "Mmm. What's this one? I've never smelled it." Boom. I knew I had to buy it. Purchased a big bottle of the EDP just earlier. I'm in love, and so sad that i've never found Coco sooner.

on 2/24/2015 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

It took me forever to come around to Coco. Cinnamon and cloves, incense, almost medicinal. I'm loving the vintage EDT, body cream, and body lotion. The current EDT seems very thinned out and fleeting. I love the opening of the current EDP with it's fruity topnote over the cinnamon spice, but very regretfully this very magical composition falls apart in the middle and later drydowns to something I'm really not fond of. If only Coco EDP would stay like its opening !!! Chanel, please keep working on this.

on 2/9/2015 9:43:00 PM

Doesn't do it for me. It just doesn't seem like a memorable smell. I tried it this morning and now, this evening, I realize I can't even describe the smell. It's that forgettable. Also, when I wear fragrance, I want it to make me feel attractive. This isn't it. There's nothing about it that makes me feel like I want to strut.

on 11/20/2014 11:56:00 AM

I love this perfume. No perfume that I know of is better than this one. Only one is as good as, No.5, but I prefer Coco. Its very warm and cozy, makes me think of spicy sweets by the fireside. It makes me feel at home, safe.
People say that Coco is strong and you have to spray it sparingly, but for me, and maybe only for me, I feel it very softly, almost barely there, I don't think it's strong.
I picture winter with this fragrance because it's my favorite season but I believe it to be wearable all year round. But I'm not a person that suits situations, and unIess it's a restaurant or theatre I always choose to suit myself.
I only have one complaint, I wish this perfume was stronger. I mean massively strong.
It's a pity Coco never got to know the perfume that takes her name.
(this review was for the edp)

on 11/19/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have allergies and normally all perfume will make me sneeze and sometimes I have a hard time breathing. This perfume does not bother me. I also have weird body chemistry and usually makes all perfumes smell like pickle juice on me. Yes, somebody once told me that. Chanel perfume does not do this to me. This is my second favorite Chanel perfume. It is my winter perfume. One spray in the morning will last all day. Don't over do it.

on 11/17/2014 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I really wanted to like this perfume; the smell is what I would imagine on a cold December night when you are wrapped in blankets near the fireplace. I imagine this could work on any gender because it is not overly feminine or masculine, just a mix of both. Unfortunately, the scent just wasn't doing it for me. I really wish the sandalwood notes were stronger because I like the smell of sandalwood, but they are overpowered by what I consider an nauseatingly sweet and musky artificial scent (probably because the scent reminds me of cocoa/shea butter, a scent that gets overwhelming and tiring fairly quickly). It's not a bad scent by any means but not as good as i hoped, because I wished the fruity/floral and sandalwood scents were more prominent.

on 9/16/2014 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I would label this my "signature scent". I have been wearing it since it it was launched (re-launched?) in 1984. It has an almost oriental floral fragrance when you first put it on which fades to a warm, powdery, spicy-sweet scent on your skin. I generally purchase the 50 ml EDP spray which costs about $104 CAN and lasts several months to up to a year. It's worth it!

on 7/7/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Review for the EDT.

I absolutely love this one! A warm, spicy, sensual oriental. I love how this smells. In fact I actually think this is unisex. Cloves, Spices, Amber, dark resins, creamy sandalwood, I can see this totally working on a man. I also see this much in the same way that I would something by Serge Lutens (whose perfumes are very rich and heady and are inspired by Morocco).

The fragrance itself opens up to me with a blast of cloves, I also get a type of orange blossom smell, and peach or plum (dried fruit accord). I also detect Jasmine, and Jasmine is actually my favorite smell. There is also some prominent rose, but the base is where it all happens; resins, amber, vanilla and tonka, dry sandalwood... it's all there, and it's very very evocative!

I've heard that Jacues Polge wanted to evoke Venice with this perfume (just as Shalimar was inspired by India and Opium by the Middle East and Southeast Asia etc.), and I can totally see Venice in this. Italian, Baroque and also Oriental, with spices and rich, warm sensuality. Jaques Polge himself would later refine the spices (along with more wood, leather and tobacco) to create his eventual masterpiece "Ego´ste" released 6 years after Coco.

I remember trying the female Opium EDP and I think this is a lot more wearable for those who couldn't wear that. It's Chanel, and a Chanel is never too loud, it knows just when to stop and hold you there, without being too loud or overpowering. In fact to my nose Coco is like a spicy, exotic, oriental version of No. 5; and just like No. 5, it makes a statement. It's grown up, it's mature, but also sensual and in-control. It's for someone who knows a little about life and is experienced both in mind and body. Someone who isn't afraid to be who they are, instead they celebrate it.

I don't know if that description helps, but that's what Coco brings across to me. Warm, sensual, passionate, loving and even a little amount of danger at the edges. It takes guts to wear this, but it's totally worth it. Pure Emotion in a bottle.

Popular Fragrances