November 28, 2014 | 2005 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Fogdew

I love this perfume. It's my favorite at the moment. Its very warm and cozy, makes me think of spicy sweets by the fireside. It makes me feel at home, safe.
My only problem with Chanel is that I can only feel the perfumes sometimes, I find them a bit elusive. Sometimes it will reach and take me away, other times I cannot feel it at all. I have no idea why.
People say that Coco is strong and you have to spray it sparingly, but for me, and maybe only for me, I feel it very softly, almost barely there, no matter how much I spray. I bought all my Chanels at Chanel, so I know they are the real thing. I think I may be anosmic to Chanel, I cant explain.
I can only say that when I feel it, its the best thing ever. Its my favorite perfume of all times, to me it even beats No5. And thats saying something, since I adore No5.
(this review was for the edp)
Ps, I wonder if Chanel sells different concentrations of their perfumes in Brazil, because the 3 I bought here are very weak, while the one my friend bought for me in USA is very strong... Sadly its my least favorite of them, Coco Mademoiselle.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by geekymakeup

I have allergies and normally all perfume will make me sneeze and sometimes I have a hard time breathing. This perfume does not bother me. I also have weird body chemistry and usually makes all perfumes smell like pickle juice on me. Yes, somebody once told me that. Chanel perfume does not do this to me. This is my second favorite Chanel perfume. It is my winter perfume. One spray in the morning will last all day. Don't over do it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by coffeecupcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I really wanted to like this perfume; the smell is what I would imagine on a cold December night when you are wrapped in blankets near the fireplace. I imagine this could work on any gender because it is not overly feminine or masculine, just a mix of both. Unfortunately, the scent just wasn't doing it for me. I really wish the sandalwood notes were stronger because I like the smell of sandalwood, but they are overpowered by what I consider an nauseatingly sweet and musky artificial scent (probably because the scent reminds me of cocoa/shea butter, a scent that gets overwhelming and tiring fairly quickly). It's not a bad scent by any means but not as good as i hoped, because I wished the fruity/floral and sandalwood scents were more prominent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kearro

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I would label this my "signature scent". I have been wearing it since it it was launched (re-launched?) in 1984. It has an almost oriental floral fragrance when you first put it on which fades to a warm, powdery, spicy-sweet scent on your skin. I generally purchase the 50 ml EDP spray which costs about $104 CAN and lasts several months to up to a year. It's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:09:00 AM More reviews by nero77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Review for the EDT.

I absolutely love this one! A warm, spicy, sensual oriental. I love how this smells. In fact I actually think this is unisex. Cloves, Spices, Amber, dark resins, creamy sandalwood, I can see this totally working on a man. I also see this much in the same way that I would something by Serge Lutens (whose perfumes are very rich and heady and are inspired by Morocco).

The fragrance itself opens up to me with a blast of cloves, I also get a type of orange blossom smell, and peach or plum (dried fruit accord). I also detect Jasmine, and Jasmine is actually my favorite smell. There is also some prominent rose, but the base is where it all happens; resins, amber, vanilla and tonka, dry sandalwood... it's all there, and it's very very evocative!

I've heard that Jacues Polge wanted to evoke Venice with this perfume (just as Shalimar was inspired by India and Opium by the Middle East and Southeast Asia etc.), and I can totally see Venice in this. Italian, Baroque and also Oriental, with spices and rich, warm sensuality. Jaques Polge himself would later refine the spices (along with more wood, leather and tobacco) to create his eventual masterpiece "Egoďste" released 6 years after Coco.

I remember trying the female Opium EDP and I think this is a lot more wearable for those who couldn't wear that. It's Chanel, and a Chanel is never too loud, it knows just when to stop and hold you there, without being too loud or overpowering. In fact to my nose Coco is like a spicy, exotic, oriental version of No. 5; and just like No. 5, it makes a statement. It's grown up, it's mature, but also sensual and in-control. It's for someone who knows a little about life and is experienced both in mind and body. Someone who isn't afraid to be who they are, instead they celebrate it.

I don't know if that description helps, but that's what Coco brings across to me. Warm, sensual, passionate, loving and even a little amount of danger at the edges. It takes guts to wear this, but it's totally worth it. Pure Emotion in a bottle.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by shadedmaryy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It took me a little while to appreciate this beautiful fragrance and to learn the correct quantity to spray on for different situations and times. For normal day wear I need to get the shortest spray burst of droplets, its a very economical day fragrance but for night use more with a good few sprays. Its warm, leathery and very long lasting and everyone says that I smell so exotic when I wear it.
To wear this lavishly on a daily basis :
This fragrance loves you if you are working with or riding horses because of the leather notes and warmth it definitely complements this situation well. You could also wear this as a daily fragrance in any other situations involving wood or leather. This is THE MOST perfect fragrance for the above instances. Think: HORSES, LEATHER, WOOD .

What most people don't realize is that its more about wearing a fragrance appropriate to a situation and not about body chemistry. Every woman, young or old needs many fragrances to complement her and enable her to dress correctly in any given situation.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2014 5:08:00 AM More reviews by clasp

Love this scent

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 3:33:00 PM More reviews by paneradfisk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My favourite of all! Also my boyfriend's favourite. I'm 18 and he's 26.
(First of all I don't appreciate when people use "grandma" to describe a perfume, like it's a bad thing, it's rude and you just seem narrow minded and ignorant. I also don't think perfume has an age limit at all, stop that.)

I own both the vintage and current version and honestly I can't feel that much of a difference. The current version isn't a shadow of what it used to be, like many refomulated perfumes. Perhaps the vintage version has more rose and an overall deeper feeling to it. I really love them both.

I assume most people would call this a winter fragrance and I see why. I use it all year round, though sparingly in the summer. You can't spray yourself three times like you would with some perfumes, this is strong and can be quite overwhelming. It's a nice perfume but in small amounts, remember to always show rescept for the people around you.

This perfume gives me a warm, cozy and safe feeling, like I'm home. Cloves, the strongest note, reminds me of Christmas and glögg (a spicy alcohol drink we drink at Christmas in Sweden).

Will never abandon and will never forget <3

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by FyrePhoenix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is another one I had to wear a couple of times in order to appreciate.
My goodness, it is strong. I had a little tester leakage get on me, and now I can smell it without bringing my hand to my nose. Beautiful! Very warm and inviting. If I put my nose to it, I smell the amber, cloves, and sandalwood. If I wait for a waft to come over me, I really smell the rose in it.
It's very complex, and very well blended! It is heavy enough that I feel it's best saved for winter.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Maw70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wore this to death in my twenties, could not get enough of this fragrance! Decided to revisit this in my early forties and feel sad that it doesn't smell the same, has the perfume changed or is it me? I still wear it but find it overpowering even after one spritz, I purchased the eau de parfum but wondering if I should have gone for the eau de toilette. It's still a beautiful fragrance just not for me now.