July 31, 2014 | 1291 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Preference Mega Browns hair color

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I have tried these in Chocolate which is a cool dark brown with red and Truffle, which is a cooler dark brown with more blue. They're both level 4 browns. I love them both but find Truffle looks better on me as a NW20.

I am pretty cool toned and have hazel eyes with naturally dark brown hair. This color just really gives me dimension and vibrancy. I have gotten more compliments on this color than any other color I have ever tried.

Its definitely salon quality; it lasts for over 4 weeks on me and covers my grays completely. I have never had such great color from another bottle brand. This did not pull purple on me at all. I have no idea what happened to other reviewers but it's never pulled anything weird. It just looks like a deep and rich chocolate color with less red than the chocolate one does.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Bloodrush192

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in BR7 or chocolate; as noted on the bottle this definitely has violet/red bases to the color. I previously used Ion Brilliance Mochas in Medium/Light Golden Mahogany Brown, and my roots are naturally light brown/blonde so the color was going to be inconsistent no matter what developer I used. One issue I had with this formula is that it has the consistency of snot; it is extremely runny and strings like crazy! If I would've read the reviews I would've bought a bottle to deal with this issue but I managed to not create a huge mess (use lots of towels if you tend to drop dye easily). I have shoulder length hair and I used a total of 8 oz of product which left me with a lot unused dye, almost 4 oz. The color when first applied looks very orange, almost carrot-colored but once left for 25 minutes the color deepens and looks more like the swatch. The darker areas of my hair have a nice hint of red, and the roots look more like an intense auburn color. Overall I'm quite happy with the color, we'll see how it fades out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by surfcowboy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I use the mega browns in "Chocolate". I have a cool skin tone. This color is RICH and absolutely beautiful! I have had so many compliments. I did it a week ago and today I went to Sally to purchase a reserve lol plus they are on sale right now $4.99.

The color has hints of red which is probably my favorite part about it. I used a 20 developer but 10 is way sufficient if you already have brown hair. If you are going from blonde to this, use a 20 instead. For long thick hair like me, buy 2 bottles of the mega brown chocolate because 1 isnt enough!

With this color you get the best of both worlds because of the reddish hue. I will buy this color until I find a next best thing. As far as hair texture after the dye, mine felt dry but after conditioning it for a week it came back to normal. Make sure you do have a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioning spray!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2013 11:32:00 AM More reviews by ebbykins

Add me to the people who tried truffle and ended up with purple hair (despite being fairly dark brown red before hand) and it fried my hair so bad, I ended up cutting it all off into a pixie cut. Now I need to dye it after it's faded even after the cut because it looks like this weird faded empty looking purple red brown and no depth... even after lots of conditioning and choppy chop, it looks dry. -.- I used 20 developer. 25 mins.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Briab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the color truffle, and i had a medium brown hair with blonde streaks......the first time i applied this dye i used 20 vol developer,it washed out so quick qnd my hair felt so dri, i had to dye it again after only a week and a half,the second time i used 10 vol developer....it still is washing out so quick on the ends, so it looks like two different washed out tones...sucks....i dont want to keep having to dye it every other week as i amtrying to grow it out..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by gmmace80

I've been using Ion Brilliance pretty regularly to cover my grays, but my color was starting to look a bit flat to me, so I thought I'd try something new. I bought the 20% developer and color Chocolate. So far I've only used it to touch up in the front, but I love the color. On my naturally dark brown hair, it came out a rich mahogany color. I can't wait to do the rest of my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by mishkee

Wow this color is awesome. I used Cinnamon and Brandy and I have the most gorgeous medium golden brown hair now! I am so impressed with this. it was very messy but soooo worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2011 4:46:00 PM More reviews by maggiejeanjones

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this haircolor for over 2 years and I get compliments on pretty the color is and how natural it looks all the time. I use the color Coffee and I mix it with equal parts L'Oreal Preference Medium Brown (neutral base) and a 20 volume developer. I have naturally light reddish-brown hair, so I cut this color with a neutral color since my hair pulls red and turns too red otherwise. I do agree with other saying this is a runny formula; however, there is such a pretty color payoff that it's well worth it to take the extra time a care to apply the color.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2010 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Ser3nity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It makes me sad that some people gave this stuff a low rating because they didn't really know what they were doing to their hair. Of course your roots are going to come out lighter if you use this on previously dyed hair, and of course you run the risk of other nasty results if dying over an old dye job - it's like that with ANY hair color!

As previously stated, the consistency is really, really runny. However, despite the additional mess I had to clean up, I feel it was actually easier for me to apply than thicker formulas.

I used this in Chocolate and I am in love with the results. As with any dye, it came out a VERY dark reddish brown at first, but after a few washes it's fading into the exact color I was looking for - dark, but not too dark. I'll definitely be using this shade again, and in the future I may go for a lighter look in the same line.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by blondie68725

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i used this product in chocolate. the swatch is SO pretty, but my hair is almost black with neonpurple/red undertones. looks horrendous. also, my roots are lighter red and the body of my hair looks streaky and black. i used a protein filler so it should have dyed evenly. what a crappy dye. so disappointed, and my hair looks disgusting.