October 20, 2014 | 1660 users online

Lip Gloss - Smashbox - Lip Brilliance

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2009 7:06:00 PM More reviews by econhead

Smashbox lip gloss is probably the only lip gloss I will use, having tried a TON over the years. Tackiness is minimal, so there isn't so much fear of your hair getting unattractively stuck to your mouth. Has lasting power through lunch--as long as you aren't smushing your mouth all over your water glass, it will stay on. Also, very moisturizing and hides chapped lips well. Note that almost all colors are pretty sheer--they may be brightly colored in the tube, but go on with a light to medium coverage. Best to use some lipstick underneath if you want more color. I give it a 4 because it still is a little bit tacky, and for the color issue. Otherwise, great product. Look online for steals when they have the seasonal sets on sale post-season.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2009 1:18:00 AM More reviews by twillow

I'm disappointed that I purchased this online and didn't check it out in person. To begin with, the palette and glosses are made in China, which for the price, I'm shocked. I could go down to the drugstore if I wanted to get a glittery gloss that was made in China. The glosses themselves are rather hard in texture and trying to pick them up with the provided brush is almost laughable. I used one of my own lip brushes that was a bit firmer and had better results, but it was still quite a process of dabbing and stabbing to get enough onto my lips to see the color. Once they are on my lips, the darker more pigmented colors are pretty, but the gloss doesn't feel smooth and I can't imagine trying to work these over a matte lipstick, which means that the color that is too light to show up on its own will be wasted. Add into that the ridiculously messy packaging and tiny amount of gloss you get and I'm just wishing I had saved my receipt so I could send this back. Not all glosses in a palette have to be like this -- Laura Mercier's palettes have glosses that are soft, moisturizing, and pigmented, which is what I was hoping for here.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 4:27:00 PM More reviews by sharopooks

I'm giving these an overall 4 lippie rating even though out of THREE compacts of these I've bought, I only really love ONE. Generally speaking, the formula for these are great - gloss-like but not TOO-too shiny, w/ the pigment of lipstick. Cute compact; the brush is a nice idea but I'm not crazy about it (your finger or your own brush works better!). My issue w/ these are the colors offered. I FREAKIN LOVE the Skybox palette of cool berry/rose hues, I simply adore this palette (& that is saying a LOT coming from me, someone who gravitates towards brownish red lippies)! But the neutrals in Lightbox wash me out (though nicely pigmented) & Transparencies is really just 3 variations on a sheer, pretty clear pink gloss (though nicely shiny). I'm an Asian MMM/GGG so I was hoping for more pigment from Lightbox & Transparencies. Lightbox's & Transparencies' shades are nice when applied over OTHER pigmented & darker lippies, or if you don't already have many other "top coat" type glosses (which I do). HOWEVER, my divine love for Skybox propels this to a 4 lippie review. I would buy again IF I was replacing my Skybox or IF they came out w/ better, darker, more pigemented warm shades. $28 a pop ain't chump change so PLEASE use a tester before buying this, or keep the original packaging if you order by mail (I would've returned Lightbox & Transparencies had I not discarded the packaging!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 1:55:00 AM More reviews by KingTaco

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this trio of lip colors - the colors are shiny and long-lasting in very luxurious packaging. I really dislike the brush that accompanies it, but that's easily replaced.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2007 4:36:00 AM More reviews by robynlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this trio. I have it in Stage 2, and all the colors are gorgeous. You can mix and match them, or you can wear them individually. I usually put Lip Venom on, and then put a coat of one of these on top with a lip brush, and it looks perfect. I'll be purchasing this as long as they keep on making it. Plus, the compact it's in has a little mirror, which we all love.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2007 6:42:00 PM More reviews by clevereuphemism

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought Lightbox & Stage 2 a few months back and recently pulled them from my makeup bag because I never wear them. I was hoping they'd have the same formulation as the lip colors in the Mini Lip & Eye Palette (which I love!), but they're more like lip stick. A little too heavy & creamy for me as a gloss-girl. I'm also not crazy about any of the colors. I'm always looking for pretty new nude/rose/pink/watermelon, etc. and none of the colors in either palette do it for me. Don't hate 'em, but don't love 'em either.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2004 10:23:00 AM More reviews by emit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The lip brilliance are one of my favorite Smashbox products. I have them in Transparencies, Lightbox, and also the shades that come with the Makeup Room and Runway Trifold.

The shades in Transparencies, as the name suggests, are sheer and glossy for a sort of a lip gloss/lip balm look. The colors in this set are light baby pink, wine, and a soft red flecked with a subtle sparkle. None of the colors in the Transparencies set goes on darkly - they're best for a natural, no makeup type of look. (I'm a Eurasian FFF, and I tend only to use the two darker shades, which I occasionally enhance with a lip pencil.)

The colors in the Lightbox set, by contrast, are opaque (with the exception of the champagne hue) and creamy. The colors are a warm sparkly champagne, chocolate reddish brown, and a soft rose. They're best suited to warm complexions. (The chocolate brown is my personal fav in this set. The others are a bit light for me.)

I wish the lip brilliance duo that came with the Makeup Room were available separately from Smashbox, because they colors are so gorgeous/sexy - a semi-sheer, glossy brown and deep mauve.

The best part about Smashbox's lip brilliance is their texture and appearance. They're very moisturizing and don't have the waxy look and feel of many lipsticks. They retail for $26, but last a long time (surprisingly enough since their container is the size of a credit card).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2004 12:10:00 PM More reviews by LeahZ

Wow. I bought this in Stage 2 and I couldn't be more thrilled. I am a total lipgloss junkie and I love sets but rarely like all the colors- but not so here. All three are gorgeous, last longer than any other gloss I've tried, and I like that there is no scent to deal with. Plus it has a nice big mirror on the very sturdy case.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2004 10:44:00 AM More reviews by p5r79

I bought this in Transparencies from Nordstrom. I love the three hues. You can mix and match and the colors are gorgeous. Caviat: if you are looking for a long lasting lip gloss this is not for you. But if you want to put on top of a lip stain for a similar product as a gloss it would be fantastic. It's not as sticky as regular gloss either which is why it probably doesn't last too long on your lips. But I recommend it. I can't wait to try the other colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2004 1:09:00 PM More reviews by sunshine34

I love the smooth creamy yet weightless texture of these. I love that they do not taste or smell of anything annoying, and I love the way you can apply lightly over balm for a gloss effect or full on over liner for a lipstick look. I'm not sure whether to call them pigmented gloss or what but they're fab!