December 20, 2014 | 921 users online

Lotions/ Creams - The Body Shop - Almond Oil Softening Hand Exfoliator

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2007 12:17:00 AM More reviews by AbsoluteScentualist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

While this product is an interesting concept (a dry exfoliating cream you simply rub off) it does an average job of removing dry skin and moisturizing my hands after I finish a treatment.

The scent is the same lovely almond fragrance TBS uses in their almond products. The lotion itself is the typical consistancy of any other lotion with the odd bit of exfoliating particle here and there. The directions indicate that you rub this product on to the backs of your hands and let it dry for a few minutes... the exact number escapes me at the moment.

Once the product dries, you simply rub your hands together which causes the dried product to pill up off your skin and fall off into the sink or waste bin or what ever you have close by, revealing soft and moisturized skin.

I use it all over my hands, paying special attention to cuticles as well as my nails. In this regard, the product does seem to help their overall strength and health, which is one benefit of putting up with the tedium of removing it. However, I find that the process tends to work fairly well sometimes and not so well on others. I don't know precisely why this occurs, but wonder if this is the advantage of traditional hand scrubs. You apply them, leave them on for a set time, then wash them off. You don't have to spend ten minutes making sure you rub all the product off your hands before you can moisturize with the proper cream. That method is pretty fail safe and seems to deliver consistent results.

I would much prefer a traditional almond oil hand scrub than this product, but I am always on the look out for a good hand treatment kit. Unfortunately, I think this product falls far behind Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardener's line or even the time consuming multi step Mary Kay Satin Hands kit in regard to exfoliation and lasting moisturization, even when promptly followed by the Almond Oil Intensive Hand Rescue, which I use religiously.

If it wasn't such an inconvenient product to work with or if it delivered amazing results, I would bump up the lippies. But since it is neither of these things, I will have to leave it at around a three. While it is a novel idea, it doesn't deliver great results, and if I plan on repurchasing a product, I will do so knowing that the product works. This, in my experience, does not.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2006 12:12:00 AM More reviews by lauralampkin

I wanted to like this stuff SO bad. I'm big on my hands (I'm a hand lotion junkie), and so I was looking for something that would exfoliate my hands, something I could put into my weekly (or bi-weekly depending on how much lazy time I have) manicure routine. Granted it did leave my hands really soft, but lord, what a mess! There were flakes of my DNA all over my bathroom sink! It reminds me of when I was in middle school and girls used to put Elmer's glue on the back of their hands to make them softer (don't ask, I don't know either), wait until it dried and then peel it off. The texture of this is a little like Elmer's but I wish it peeled off easier. Points off for the mess, but actually does get your hands softer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2005 1:30:00 PM More reviews by SunriseSunset

Ugh, sorry but I think this stuff is quite awful. You spread it on like a cream and then wait a while. Afterwards, if you rub your palms together all the dry skin flakes off into little balls and chunks and you're left with a gross, disgusting mess. I understand the concept that TBS was trying to go for with this, but it just didn't sit well with me. The scent was putrid and nausea-inducing. My hands were soft afterwards, but the things I had to do to get there just aren't worth it to me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 5:15:00 PM More reviews by LibertyRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The Body Shop's 'almond' hand exfoliator really does leave my hands silkier. It has a very pleasant smell, layers on nicely, and has a gentle texture. I use it twice every week and apply lotion immediately aftwards to lock in the moisture. Crabtree & Evelyn's 'gardener's hand therapy' has the same effect.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2005 6:56:00 PM More reviews by sweetyg3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was shocked by how much dead skin I actually had on my hands! This is a great product! It also works on feet and elbows too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2003 12:25:00 PM More reviews by sweetsmell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a brand-new product which has a divine scent, just as the name would suggest, really. The directions say you should "apply this to back of hands and let dry for 10 minutes. Once dry, rub your hands together. The dry cream will roll off, leaving hands feeling wonderfully soft and silky smooth." The first time I did this, I followed the instructions to a T, and...nothing happened. I later realized that my hands were moisturized well enough that there was nothing dead to slough off, plus the 10-minute wait had made the cream dry a little too much and absorb too well. Last night my hands felt a little battered, so I gamely tried it again. This time I waited only about 5 minutes or until the cream looked dry, but yet wasn't absorbed. I rubbed vigorously and after a few minutes, lo and behold, I felt like I had baby's hands! They really were incredibly soft and smooth, and the best part was that my palms were too, an area which never seems to get much benefit from creams other than some moisture. I have a feeling that, used once or twice a week, this is going to be an excellent product for keeping my hands soft! They still felt like butter when I awoke this morning. That's good enough for me!