September 21, 2014 | 1777 users online

Cleansers - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Purifying Gel Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

I'm conflicted with this cleanser.

On the one side I got the bonus size on sale, and my skin seems to really like it, the blemishes have almost completely cleared up after only a couple weeks.

But on the other side, the second ingredient is Sodium Laureth Sulfate, a known irritant, so I'm not sure how it's exactly PH balanced and for sensitive skin. I also get the 'tight' feeling in my face after cleansing and have to rush to moisturizing.

It's good, but there's better out there. I'll probably use up what I have, and come winter look for something else.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Disclamat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

It is a good cleanser UNLESS your skin does not tolerate Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which is the 2nd ingredient there. I had blurry vision and swollen eyelids for a full week before finding out that no matter how hard I tried to not even put it on my forehead, all it took was to rub my eyes with my hands for my eyelids to become swollen.

Definitely not good for sensitive skin, what were they thinking?
The pros are that it is "supposed" to be pretty much Ph balanced, and the thermal water, so maybe that's why ignoring my allergic reaction it was good at getting rid of blackheads, and it does work better if you're using the Effaclar Duo Corrective and Unclogging Anti-Imperfection Lotion. BTW, if you use these 2 products together, they stop smelling nice and start smelling...antiseptic, it reminds me a lot of that hospital smell.

So now I only use it on the nose and wash everything else on my face with a goat's milk soap.
I would not buy again as it is too pricey for such a cheap ingredient as SLS being one of the main ingredients. Not worth it if you react to SLS.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2014 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Alacoque

I got this in May as it was in offer with Effaclar Duo Plus (which I love)!!
I'm not normally a fan of cleansing gels, I usually prefer foaming moose type cleansers. Since I was using other acne products I can't say if this works solely on its own. But I use it to wash my face in the morning and it removes all the overnight sebum and oil.

Iv also taken to use it in the shower to walk my back and chest. As a sufferer of back acne, it's great used combined with Effaclar duo plus.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by hippolyte93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

this thing is absolutely one of my fave products of all time...very suitable for my very oily AND sensitive skin....my face feels very clean and pure of all oils and makeup without hurting it or causing redness ...just apply in circular motion and enjoy the magic ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Katy2404

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was so awful for me! My face is oily so I wanted something to help with this. Even on my oily skin this completely stripped my skin! It stinks so bad and is really harsh! My face was so tight and sore after using it, how anyone with sensitive skin could use this is beyond me!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by debaser94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hated using this. It make my skin feel so stripped of all moisture, and after a while it started to make skin feel so hot after using it. Didn't help with breakouts. It's a harsh product, I would advise against it if you're sensitive but otherwise get a sample first. It's probably okay if you've got extremely oily skin and it's in no way dehydrated.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by staywithjohanna

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is probably the best cosmetic product I have ever used- it has literally saved my skin that used to be blemishy and pimply. I have been using this and the Effaclar Duo+ moisturiser for about four weeks now and my skin has never looked or felt better. I am so happy I decided to try this product. It is kind of on the pricy side but considering how much it has improved my skin, I will most definitely buy it over and over again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by bettyspaceage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I thought it would help my acne prone skin but I was so very wrong! after one use it broke me out even more! I'm returning this as soon as I find the receipt.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 5:48:00 PM More reviews by sebas2314

This cleanser is amazing!! I've only used it for about a week but I can say that it has really helped my acne. I have moderate to severe acne and decided to try this out. It is pretty expensive costing 30 bucks were I live but the bottle is pretty big. So far, it has cleared out ALL my cystic acne on my cheeks except for one and has really evened out my skin tone!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by BGutwein

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this at a local CVS. I was walking around looking for Garnier's new Charcoal face wash/mask and stumbled across the La Roche Posay line. I have literally never heard of it before. Before buying, I came to Makeup Alley to check out fellow posters reviews of the product. The majority loved it, with a few whom did not. Majority won me over and I figured, I not only had a coupon, but our local CVS has a 100% return policy, so I figured, return it if is sucks. Used it the afternoon I purchased it and loved it. Have used it for over 3 weeks now and it is really the only cleanser I am using. Acne has cleared up, no new flare ups, lessing of red spots (cheeks and post acne marks) and the overall clarity of my skin improved. I tried using the Effaclar K and Effaclar Duo with this and hated those two products. I simply use this cleanser and am out the door. Mascara and lip balm only...perhaps a little blush or bronzer. No more full face makeup - foundation or concealer.

I have been trying to go minimalist for YEARS, but my skin was just not where I wanted it to be without makeup. I now feel I can leave the house with bare minimum and feel awesome.

Give it a try and see what happens. I simply love this product. Simplicity in a bottle. Price is a little high, but with the larget bottle and the great lather, this easily lasts 3-5 months. Worth the money.

I know some people said this cleanser was "breaking them out", but if you are using this in conjunction with another product, it could be a reaction from the other product. This product can be a little drying if over used, but adding another product on top of it, could be overkill. I no longer find I need to use additional serums or spot treatments with this. I gave it a week without using any additional products and noticed clarity improve drastically. Sometimes using more products than needed can highly affect skin. Certain ingredients do not "play" nicely with each other.

I am impressed with this product and would recommend it to my friends. would repurchase in a heartbeat.