July 22, 2014 | 2194 users online

Cleansers - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Purifying Gel Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 5:48:00 PM More reviews by sebas2314

This cleanser is amazing!! I've only used it for about a week but I can say that it has really helped my acne. I have moderate to severe acne and decided to try this out. It is pretty expensive costing 30 bucks were I live but the bottle is pretty big. So far, it has cleared out ALL my cystic acne on my cheeks except for one and has really evened out my skin tone!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by BGutwein

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this at a local CVS. I was walking around looking for Garnier's new Charcoal face wash/mask and stumbled across the La Roche Posay line. I have literally never heard of it before. Before buying, I came to Makeup Alley to check out fellow posters reviews of the product. The majority loved it, with a few whom did not. Majority won me over and I figured, I not only had a coupon, but our local CVS has a 100% return policy, so I figured, return it if is sucks. Used it the afternoon I purchased it and loved it. Have used it for over 3 weeks now and it is really the only cleanser I am using. Acne has cleared up, no new flare ups, lessing of red spots (cheeks and post acne marks) and the overall clarity of my skin improved. I tried using the Effaclar K and Effaclar Duo with this and hated those two products. I simply use this cleanser and am out the door. Mascara and lip balm only...perhaps a little blush or bronzer. No more full face makeup - foundation or concealer.

I have been trying to go minimalist for YEARS, but my skin was just not where I wanted it to be without makeup. I now feel I can leave the house with bare minimum and feel awesome.

Give it a try and see what happens. I simply love this product. Simplicity in a bottle. Price is a little high, but with the larget bottle and the great lather, this easily lasts 3-5 months. Worth the money.

I know some people said this cleanser was "breaking them out", but if you are using this in conjunction with another product, it could be a reaction from the other product. This product can be a little drying if over used, but adding another product on top of it, could be overkill. I no longer find I need to use additional serums or spot treatments with this. I gave it a week without using any additional products and noticed clarity improve drastically. Sometimes using more products than needed can highly affect skin. Certain ingredients do not "play" nicely with each other.

I am impressed with this product and would recommend it to my friends. would repurchase in a heartbeat.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Blssflsea

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My husband has been using this for over a year and has had fabulous luck keeping his skin clear of blemishes. When I ran out of my Korres foaming milk cleanser I used at night, I switched to this. I am absolutely thrilled with it. My skin looks wonderful. It doesn't dry my skin out, even though I would say my skin is normal/dry. And, best of all, it has cleared the blackheads off of my nose. No other cleanser has successfully done that. I use it only in the evening. In the morning, I use Sunday Riley Ceramic Cleanser which is milder. I think the price point is quite fair for the amount of product I receive. Plus, we use so little with each wash, it lasts a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Dej

This is the KEY to clear skin for blemish prone people! It is great for sensitive skin as well and gently cleanses while purifying the skin preventing future breakouts as well as shrinking existing ones. THROW out your clean and clear and proactive solution people, it is WAY too harsh and I wouldn't even use it on the thickest acneic skins! I am a BA and sell this constantly and it changes peoples skin; pore size, break outs, brightness ect. Dermatologist recommended and highly effective. Also great value for $25 in the HUGE blue pump! Only buy that format if you're sensitive!! Do not use on eyes and make sure you hydrate adequately after use! Your skin will produce more oil to compensate for dehydration if you don't hydrate it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2014 11:06:00 AM More reviews by intanina

Been using this for almost a year. Pretty satisfied. It's a little expensive but it lasts me for months.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2014 6:04:00 AM More reviews by jdublew

I saw all the rave reviews on this product on you tube and decided to give it a go since most reviewers claimed to have sensitive skin and the product worked for them. I used this to remove my makeup so I rinsed twice. OMG this broke me out on day 1! As soon as i wiped my face my skin was itchy. I have reactive / sensitive acne prone skin. So now I have to deal with a rash on my face...:-(

rated 2 of 5 on 4/6/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by daisydaisys

Too drying. Won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Horrible product! It has SLS which is a harsh detergent which causes extreme dryness and inflammation of the skin. For those with acne this will only worsen it, since it's very irritating to the skin. After a week of use I have broken out with several red pus filled lesions on my face. My face has become very dry, peely and irritated. The fragrance is so strong and it further irritated my sensitive skin. The fragrance is a very strong floral scent. Do not use this on your face!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Yashuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received two sample tubes of this from my naturopath. I have been using this daily eversince.

Holy vegetables batman! This cleanser can CLEAN! Like a BOSS!
It literally washed away the blackheads on my nose! I was really shocked and had to do a double take at the mirror to make sure I was not hallucinating.
The blackheads are gone, gone, GONE!
Also the large pores on my cheeks and chin have literally shrunk to almost nothing.

This Effaclar cleanser literally blows away my Cetaphil cleanser and Biore pore strips on blackhead treatment!
I don't even know why I used those dumb Biore strips in the first place. They don't even get rid of my blackheads.
While Cetaphil is a decent cleanser, it did not give me the deep pore cleanse that Effaclar did.

It lathers so well. You only need a pea-sized amount of it for a nice foamy wash.
Less is more with this cleanser. My sample tubes are not even empty yet!
I can imagine the full size tube will last forever!

Effaclar comes in squeeze tubes. I like squeeze tubes better than pumps, since I have more control over how much product I pour out.
Otherwise, packaging is practical and sanitary.

It is definitely on the pricier side in terms of cost. It is around $ 30 at Shopper's Drug Mart.
However, the deep clean, good lather and the fact a full tube is going to last months makes it worth the price!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by CombatWombat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've repurchased this product a few times, so it's time to write a review. This is a mild, sulfate-based cleanser that is much gentler than most gel cleansers I've tried. The scent is fresh and floral but would not be suitable for someone with sensitive skin or who reacts to fragrances. The gel does lather, but it does not produce loads of suds, not that it needs to. Clean-rinsing, leaves my skin feeling clean and looking bright, non-drying most of the year. As it is still very much winter where I live and quite dry, I am following this with a LRP moisturizer with very comfortable results. I do not usually need a moisturizer after this cleanser in the summer. My skin is combination/dehydrated and very acne-prone. I purchased a large pump bottle that I keep in my shower and also use as a body wash when my body skin acts up - I can use this in very sensitive areas with no irritation.

This product has not miraculously solved my acne, but my skin acts more balanced and less reactive when I use this regularly. It is relatively easy to find in Canada and is not significantly more expensive than other drugstore cleansers. The tube packaging works fine and looks clean and efficient in my shower, but for practicality's sake, I prefer the pump bottle. The next closest product I've found to this one is Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser, but I do prefer this product as it is milder and more pleasurable to use. Please note, I do not rely on this cleanser to remove makeup or high-PPD sunblock.

I have repurchased this cleanser 3 or 4 times and will continue to purchase it as long as it is made or until my skin changes dramatically.