MAC Gel Stain in Subtropical [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

4.7

on 11/16/2009 1:13:00 PM

LE, Summer 2003

Sunny pink gel with slight shimmer and slight coral undertones. With my AAB/NC25 coloring, this gives a nice pink flush to my cheeks and a lively pink color to my lips. Blend quickly before it sets. Really does stain. Comes in a clear squeeze tube with pointed tip.

on 4/26/2009 6:59:00 AM

I love this stain!!!! It took a little practise to make it work for me, I'm Asian, very pale, and I am literally a light shade of green. My skin's ok so I can get away with just some mascara and blush. I apply this directly over my moisturiser straight away so it doesn't dry in uneven blotches- you have to be quick with this product or it will dry before you've finished blending! Just a little goes a long way, you only need a tiny drop for each appplication and it gives my cheeks a nice, healthy glow. The packaging is also very hygenic as well as you're not actuall touching the product you're not using (unlike other powder/creme blushes).

I know, this has been discont'd for a long time. I regulary troll the swap list for this. Sometimes I purchase off of Ebay. This is my HG blush, I think I like it better even that my previous favorite, Tarte Blushing Bride. Great shade, and I love that it is not greasy and stays on. BBW & MAC tick me off - just when you start loving something, they take it away. You would think they would reintroduce these seeing as how they do it would other products that don't seem to sell as well. Can we demand they bring back products such as these? :)

on 8/15/2006 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Ooh, a new favorite! Of course, this has been discontinued and can really only be found on Ebay, but I was tickled pink, so to speak, to find it. I completely love *rosesandviolets* description below as a candy pink with a hint of coral. Very true. With my fair complexion, it's a perfect, sweet warm pink. A sheer, sunkissed look. It has great lasting power, staying with me all day long.

on 7/26/2006 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm not a MAC fan, but I like lip/cheek stains so I got this off ebay and tried it. The color on my lips is not noticable at all, but as a gel blush it gives me an off-color pinkish glow on my PPP/NC15 skin. I would need powder over my cheeks to keep me from looking like a dolly. I will keep using this, but will not purchase again because I want a lip and cheek stain in one that is pinkish. I'll try LORAC sheer washes or Vincent Longo next.

on 7/2/2006 3:48:00 AM

have this one used it a few times makes me look very sexuell very good and very cool and good. makes me look and feel very good, makes me look and feel very SEX!!!!! I love it but I have not used it for a long time I am not sure if I want to use it again because it is from MAC, don't know if this brand is good for me, don't like it normally, it turns me very off maybe this gel stain in subtropical and the other coral one i own is somehow outstanding and acceptable. don't know. i'll see.

After reading the reviews here (love this place!) I took the opportunity to grab a tube when it came up on Ebay (Australia). To me it is candy pink with rose and a fraction touch of coral. It is very faint on my fair-medium complexion and the hue is close to, but not exactly like, if I'd pinched my cheek for a moment (but a light pinch if you know what I mean and the colour is close but not quite the same).
What I like about it is if I apply another blush on top it manages to hold whatever I put on top with it - one of the features is it's holding power. I apply it with my finger and Yes it stains but I always need to wash my hands after applying make-up anyway, and it comes off when I wash with soap and a loofah fabric. I'll buy another shade next time because I really like the stain.

on 11/3/2005 12:13:00 AM

I love this blush when I want a totaly natural glowy or dewy type look. I usually wear it over my studio tech foundation (NC42 for refrence) its doesnt look heavy just a hint of color on me. I usually use this when I go out dancing. Sweating doesnt seem to affect its ability to last all night long. It comes in a squeeze tube plastic container. You can easily apply this with your fingers and it blends pretty well. Love it!

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

HG blush. It is a translucent pink gel that comes in a tube. MAC came out with 3 in this type: Coral Cast (coral), Pink Lure (dark pink/magenta), and Subtropical (halfway between neon and pastel pink). My fave is Subtropical, Coral cast 2nd, and Pink Lure 3rd. Subtropical gives almost perfectly natural color, very blendable. Sometimes I'll use Bronze de Chanel (a very natural matte cream bronzer) underneath, or mix 2 parts Subtropical with 1 part Coral Cast. Coral and Subtropical both seem to be a little more opaque with a little subtle shimmer... I'm not sure if it's shimmer or just opaque white. (Pink Lure is a little darker, looks more translucent in the tube, but the formula seems to be a little harder to blend. Very similar to Origins Pinch your Cheeks.) Lasts all day. Sometimes I'll use it under another blush b/c I know that once that one fades, the subtropical will still be there underneath. It's very blendable, from subtle to, less subtle. Either way, the color is very natural. Plus, one tube lasts me 6 months to a year. I can't figure out why they made it LE, but this is one of the best products they've ever made.

on 9/20/2005 4:07:00 PM

After reading all the rave reviews, and gnashing my teeth over its discontinued status, I finally managed to buy this from a wonderful MUAer. I'm not sure it quite lives up to all the hype, but it is a lovely gel blush, different from Bonne Bell, Rimmel, and other gel blushes in that it is opaque (creamy) rather than sheer. Although sheer sounds like it would be more natural, I think Subtropical sinks into the skin better, leaving a healthy stain of pink. The tube is small, but you only need a tiny amount, since it is a vibrant pink. Too much on my PPP complexion makes me look like Raggedy Ann.

Popular Blush Products