December 21, 2014 | 1601 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by PallaviD

This is my HG treatment cream. I am 28 and just beginning to explore the world of AHAs and Retinol. Prescription Retin A is too expensive for me and at this point I think, unnecessary. This low cost cream ($8) in its simple, unassuming package does the trick for me. I do not have heavy wrinkles but using this cream at night keeps the fine lines and early signs of aging from appearing on my face. It make my face smooth and glowing and helps me keep my pores clean. I have also noticed lesser acne breakouts if I am consistent with this cream. Being a chemical exfoliant, this cream also helps in reducing my fresh, vivid red acne marks. Of course I do not put it over an active cystic acne. But as soon the acne comedo is gone, I start using this cream over the red spot. It helps in fading the marks out.
Sure, it smells like glue...(actually it smells like nothing to me) and looks white and unimpressive, but you get a massive amount of a pretty significant percentage of AHA for beginners.
I generally sanitize my hands before dipping my fingers into the product. I don't use it every single night as I do not want my skin to grow comfortable with the product and hence render if useless....but I use it every third night. So far, it has been the best facial cream I have come across.
At night, I wash my face with Purpose Gentle Face Wash, tone my face with a cotton round doused in either witch hazel or chilled rose water, and then apply this cream. With my skin type, I do not need a moisturizer on top. A little goes a long way and I have had my tub of cream for almost a year now. In the morning, I wake up to smooth, glowing skin! I will buy this again, as soon as I run out of my existing stock. Hope it is still available then!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For years I've been religious about using AHAs on a daily basis. My Asian skin is sensitive and prone to clogged pores and at 38 I'm actually starting to develop fine lines along with the occasional blemish. My local Walgreens stopped carrying my HG 10% Alpha Hydrox face lotion so I picked up this little gem for less than $10- it's only 8% aha but still pretty good. Since I've been using AHAs for years, I don't have any purging to worry about but I do notice I feel drier at the end of the day than I did with Alpha Hydrox (which is hard to find here unless I order online). As a licensed Aesthetician, ingredients matter way more to me than a brand name does, and this does the job of keeping my pores clear and the fine lines at bay pretty decently. The packaging would be much improved if it was in a flip top or pump bottle to keep the active ingredients stable, but for this price you can't expect much more. I'll buy this again, but *only* if my HGs are again out of stock.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2014 9:02:00 PM More reviews by bellasofiasolis

If you have prone acne skinPLEASE dont even try this.... I heard some good reviews here and got it, and gave it a try for a month, why did i do that? Omg this cream is really bad, maybe if you have normal skin with NO problems it might work but if you get acne here and there please dont put this in your face! I take good care of my skin and had try so many things but never with this outcome this cream sucks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2014 5:51:00 AM More reviews by foxy14

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

believe the hype! this stuff is great and ive tried it all. its not just about having a aha product but a good one ive tried everything to keep the wrinkles at bay. i still use tretinoin and a good moisturizer and serum. i have dry sun damaged skin so i stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen along with the rest of my skin routine.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by buttering55

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My jaw and lower cheek get smallish itchy, dry acne. After using this for maybe a week or so, the skin smooths out and the acne reduces. In good daylight, my cheeks look smooth and feel smooth. I stopped using this while trying another product (cetaphil moisturizing cream) and the problem came back. I returned to this cream and within a few weeks it got better.

I like container pots; you can get all the product you paid for. If you don't like putting your fingers in, perhaps try a Q-tip to then transfer to your fingers? Or cut the fingers off rubber/latex gloves and throw them away after use.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:36:00 PM More reviews by tammiterry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product. I am 35 an have been having "teenager breakouts" with my period every month. I started using this after I clean my face with Apple cider Vinegar and I have had no acne and my pores actually look smaller. I can definitely see a difference in the appearance of my skin. Completely worth the money...unfortunately...it appears this item might have been discontinued. I am unable to locate at Walgreens anymore

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Jackierose1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Ive been usi g this for a while now, the price is fantastic for the generous amount you get. Its also a pretty high percentage of alpha hydroxy acid. The packaging kind of sucks because its a jar that you need to stick your fingers I but honestly that doesnt bother me whatsoever.

I use this at night because I have sensitive skin and this does cause me to turn kinda pink. But I wash my face and then apply a small amount all over my face and neck; then I apply my moisturizer on top.

It does cause a small amount of tingling/burning, but nothing unbearable, not to mention I dont put this too close to my eyes. My skin feels very soft and plumped the next morning and I love that. Idk about wrinkle reduction as im 26 and only have fine lines on mh forehead and between my brows. But I'm hoping this helps to delay any other wrinkles. Its important to note this is not a moisturizer on its own and should be followed by one.

Yes I'd purchase over and over again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by blankdreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is AMAZING!!! I've been experiencing moderate breakouts since I hit puberty and nothing I've tried has ever helped until I tried this stuff out. It's very inexpensive at $8.99 for 4.0 oz, and since you just have to use a tiny amount for it to work, it lasts ages! It also goes on sale pretty often, I believe I got mine for $6 or $7.

I start out by taking my makeup off with coconut oil and ground oatmeal on my face, and the garnier cleansing oil on my eyes (I don't use the coconut oil on my eyes because it makes my vision blurry for too long). Then, I wash my face with Purpose gentle cleansing wash. Next, I use the Pixi glow tonic (this stuff is AMAZING!), let it dry, and apply the alpha hydroxy acid. I use a pretty small amount of it, just enough to lightly cover my face. I've found that if you use too much it'll cause little bumps. I had this problem on my forehead, so I just make sure to use a very small amount there and I no longer get little bumps. This stuff doesn't smell great, I'd compare it to Elmer's glue...but a little sour. I let the alpha hydroxy acid sink in (takes about a minute) and then apply my moisturizer (right now my favorite is the Earth Science apricot intensive night cream).

Okay, now to what this has done for my skin. I no longer get awful, long lasting break outs, the surface of my skin is much smoother, and my acne scars are fading away. I don't have any wrinkles, so I can't attest to how it helps in that area. I used to have major issues with my skin looking awful and flakey, no matter how much I exfoliated, what moisturizer I used, etc. but ever since I started using this stuff...GONE. No more flakiness, and I don't have to use harsh scrubs as often anymore.

Be sure to wear sunscreen every day while using this! It makes your skin very sensitive to the sun, and you'll burn easily. I use the Banana Boat natural reflect sunscreen and I've had no problems with breakouts like I do with most sunscreens.

OVERALL, this stuff is amazing and I'm done rambling...but I highly recommend it!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by babybefree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This lotion caused a bunch of bumps under the surface of my skin that made a disaster of an extraction during a facial I had soon after starting this. The lower portion of my face was so bumpy, even if they hadn't formed breakouts yet, and I'd only used this for maybe a week or two. I haven't used it since and haven't had a problem with those bumps so I know it was this lotion.

I just checked out some lists of comedogenic ingredients and this lotion is full of them:

EDIT: I looked this product up on cosdna and wanted to provide their comedogenic/irritant ratings (0-5 scale) for this lotion's ingredients: isopropyl palminate, (acne 4, irritant 1); stearic acid (acne 2); cetyl alcohol (acne 5, irritant 2); dimethicone (acne 1); PEG 100 stearate (acne 1); sorbitan stearate (irritant 1).

I know it's probably difficult/impossible even to find makeup/skincare products without some ingredient that would appear as a 1 at least, but having multiple comedogenic ingredients with that high of ratings is unacceptable for me. There's gotta be better options out there for moisturizer.

People here seem to love it so I won't say stay away, but for the love of your skin, I'd recommend doing a patch test somewhere other than your face first. Good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by sherie90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product each night for three weeks and I'm loving it! It has decreased my pore appearance and acne breakout. I had quite a few blemishes from previous breakouts and those have lighted up also. I will make this a staple product.