Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser Mask

Active Ingredients: Benzoyl Peroxide (3.5%) (Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Kaolin, Bentonite, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Titanium Dioxide, Trideceth 9, PEG 5 Ethylhexanoate, Menthol, Sodium Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Fragrance 5/29/09

on 7/29/2015 9:08:00 PM

I have been using this face wash as a daily cleanser since high school, so at least 10 years. The few times I have strayed from it, I have always come back. I have combination skin and hormonal acne that stays under control with benzoyl peroxide. I think the kaolin ingredient particularly agrees with my skin (an ingredient I haven't found in any other drug store cleansers). It feels very cool applied to the skin, which is nice especially when I am hot and sweaty during the summer.

I have recently noted that if I use this as a mask (left on 5 minutes), I will be left with a bright red face wherever the mask was applied to my skin. The redness is gone by the next morning. This did not happen when I was in high school/college, when I used it as a mask about once a week. I think my skin is becoming more sensitive as I reach my late twenties, and it still works wonderfully for me as a daily cleanser, so I won't deduct any lippies for that.

I tend to buy this at Target rather than a drug store because it is very affordable there! There have been at least a couple discontinuation scares over the years, and the outcry on the Neutrogena website seems to make them bring it back each time. Still, when I find this has become scarce, I stock up.

on 6/25/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I started using this about a little over a month ago because I thought I might need to add more acne-fighting ingredients all over my face. I had been using a 5% BP cream occasionally and a 10% one on some spots and they would help alittle after the fact but not really in prevention. I liked that this was a small amount but I could use it as a mask too if I wanted to focus on an area. Since it had pretty good reviews, and I was desparate after a particularly bad break out, I tried it.

I have pretty sensitive skin, as in things itch and irritate me easily and I break out to a lot of ingredients that are fine for most people. But this doesn't bother me at all, not the menthol, not the BP, not as a cleanser or as a mask. I have no redness with this. I also really like that the ingredient list is pretty simple.

But my skin always breaks out, either in little bumps or sore under-the-skin type cysts and I haven't found the magical cure to fix that yet. Most of the time they won't go away on their own either though messing with them isn't always the best idea.

Still. I have to say that after all this time of trying to see if it helps or not, I'd have to say it helps more than when I wasn't using it. I still get my random bumps and stuff, but overall my skin does look a little better. I try to be careful with my products and not add too many new things that could potentially cause problems so I think most of what I currently use is safe and the bumps are just me and will occur regardless. I do notice that overusing this with the addition of too many other drying products (extra BP, tea tree) results in more problems so I have to be careful, especially because of the dry hot climate. Moisturizer definitely helps (which I'm almost always afraid of it breaking me out) and helps get a more matte look, as some BP treatments cause a kind of tight shine. This does that sometimes, but not as badly or as permanenty as other ones I've seen. If I notice it, I just cut down on this and use it as a spot treatment instead.

I noticed some bleaching of my towels and I think it's from this. But overall this is fairly gentle and still helps. I do also use a foaming cleanser and a spin brush occasionally for extra cleaning, but this does take off makeup which surprized me. It's not "perfect" as I think nothing really is for my skin, but for now I think it works.

on 5/13/2015 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Used as directed for less than 5 minutes, got a chemical burn. I even mixed it with freeman's chocolate strawberry mask to make it gentler and smell better, and it felt cool and refreshing, however that night my face hurt and next morning it was red and flaky and painful. Note: never try new skincare a week before your graduation ceremony

on 3/28/2015 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm really glad that Neutrogena makes this unique product. It's kind of rare to find a benzoyl peroxide wash, which is what this is. It's really gentle, which is much appreciated because my skin is both acne-prone and sensitive. Plus, I'm in my 30s and my skin isn't as oily as it used to be, so a lot of acne products are too drying. This is clay based and has a plush, creamy texture. It feels soothing instead of irritating, the way salicylic or glycolic washes tend to feel. I rub it around on my damp face and then let it sit for at least a minute so that the active ingredient has time to work. You can also use it as a mask, which is nice -- sometimes I just spot-treat with it as a mask and wash off. Regular benzoyl peroxide spot treatments can be irritating, so I like that this gets washed off. I notice that it helps, although if your skin is really out of control it probably wouldn't be enough on its own. And, and, and -- it's such a deal. I think this sells for around $5. In a different package this product could pass for something you'd buy from a high-end line at Sephora. So great, love it.

on 3/20/2015 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Best acne treatment I have ever used I have tried proactive and many others, but by far this one has worked the best and was most affective. In the matter of just 4 days I already saw results. Most dermatologists would tell you to start using this for moderate to major acne. Like most acne medicines you have to give it time. At first it flares up because it's bringing all the pores to the surface but that's just in order to get them to go away you have to let it flare then heal. My dermatologist said it could take up to a few weeks to heal properly. Just trust the product and just because it flares up doesn't mean it's getting worse its just takin g it's time to heal keep using it and I guareente it will make your face clearer and you beauty better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this cleanser, it works at preventing breakouts, yet doesn't dry out my skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This product works well...i think it cleared up my face fairly quickly and got rid of stubborn pimples and blackheads. . ..it also is a half decent mask when used as a mask. I like the versatility very much, I think that there is also minimal smell, and i liked the texture as well. ...and it is at an excellent price.. good job Neutrogena!!! I can't say I like all Neutrogena prods but I mostly definitely like this one!!!

on 2/8/2015 7:08:00 PM

My nose, cheeks, and chin are covered in stubborn blackheads and some bumps/pimples. The masks and cleansers I had been using were not helping with any of these issues and I had a Neutrogena coupon at Target so I decided to give this product a try. It's pretty much a thick white cream and I do not use it as a daily cleanser because it has a lot of benzoyl peroxide and I do not want to risk bleaching my hair/eyebrows. Every approximately 3 days, I apply this as a mask at night and leave it on for about 10 minutes and then careful wet my face and rinse it off. DO NOT SCRUB. I don't coat my whole face but do a coat (on the thinner side) on my nose, parts of my cheeks, parts of my forehead, chin, and my temples. I find that my skin actually looks less red, cleaner, and brighter after using this product. It is very creamy to apply and dries hard without being painful. It does make my skin feel a little tight so I apply my Cetaphil moisturizer for acne-prone skin afterwards and love the results!
A solid example of how this product has worked for me is the cyst that I had last week just above my temple. I took extra care to coat the cyst the last time that I used the mask and the next morning it was half the size it had been. Two days later, there is just a tiny bump and a little darker spot that has been fading quickly.
*Note: I also use Neutrogena Rapid Clear pads twice daily as part of my skin care regimen. On nights when I use this product, I wash my face with my favorite cleanser, apply this product, use the pads, and moisturize. I find using additional treatments like my salicylic acid gel are too drying when I use this mask.

I am using this with a few other products to clear t-zone acne and it is actually working! I have been using this new skincare regimen for 2 or 3 weeks now and I only have one or two pimples on my forehead at once vs like 6 at least on my forehead, glabella (area in between your eyebrows lol), chin, and sometimes nose. These products are really working. My only complaint is that it is really drying if used as a mask. This might be great for people with oily skin but right now I have mostly dry combination skin. Great product though!! It clears up acne almost completely!

I purchased this cleanser on a whim, and gosh I use this every night.
I love how my skin feels when I'm done washing it off. Its so cool. It's very inexpensive, plus side.