October 24, 2014 | 1672 users online

Powder - Cover Girl - Simply Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Chicago summers are notoriously hot and sticky. Three seasons out of the year, I am fine with my CG Clean Makeup oil control foundation. But in the summertime, liquid foundation can be a little too heavy and doesn't last long, especially when spending anytime outside. I decided I wanted to look into powder foundation as a lighter alternative. (I also have a bit more color now so I don't have the need for too much coverage). Enter this little gem of a product.

I do like this as a foundation. On top of concealer and under (powder) blush. I use a kabuki brush and buff this on. If there are areas that need a little extra, I use the sponge it came with and lightly pat this on. The coverage is light but very buildable. I do not find it settling into any fine lines or pores (but my combination skin skews a little oily in the summer on 50% of my face).

I found the creamy natural (my usual CG shade) to be too yellow in the powder for some reason, so I went with Classic Ivory. I agree with other reviewers that this does run dark. The Classic Ivory is not what I would personally consider a traditional ivory shade but it's a little pink; perfect for my cool complexion. The staying power is on par with any other foundation I've used, powder or liquid. I also throw it in my bag for touch ups (usually at midday).

The packaging is fine; I saved the plastic sheet it was packaged with, cut it to the size of the powder "round," and keep it in between the provided sponge and the powder itself. I find this to be a cheaper alternative to Clinique double powder (?) makeup. So far I've had no issues with breakouts or clogged pores so I am pretty pleased.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by LABeautyGal

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The coverage was good, evened out my skin, covered some marks. But, the color match was awful, it looked cakey and it magnified every pore. I applied this with the sponge and with a fluffy brush. I ended up returning this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Kalady

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS: Great coverage, natural/non-powdery on the skin, sturdy packaging, reliable, long-lasting, affordable
CONS: Color selection for us fair ladies :(

During the beginning of high school, I found my love in powder foundations. As a very natural kind of girl, I prefer looks that simply deceive the eye into thinking there is no makeup on my face but still brighten and naturally perfect. With such high reviews online and such a low price, I bought it and fell in love. The lasting power was excellent on me- 7-9 hours. The texture was smooth and the finish was undetectable on the skin. The coverage was a solid medium but buildable. It was gentle enough to let my skin breathe and not aggravate my teenage acne.

So what happened?

As I fell in love with this powder, I simultaneously began improving my skincare regimen. I fell in love with my naturally pale, Polish skin, began treating my hyperpigmentation, and embraced SPF 110 daily. The powder still worked brilliantly, but the lightest shade- Ivory- became dark enough to be my new bronzer.

The agony.

This stuff is totally HG status for me, but because of the lightness of my skin, I can't use this product. I hope that Cover Girl expands the range to accommodate both lighter and darker skin because this product is absolutely beautiful.

*Shakes fist at the makeup gods*

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Tashad88

LOVE this powder!! It covers well & looks flawless!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by MissRubyJones

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

Cover Girl's Simply Powder Foundation is a great basic, daytime foundation if you only need a little touch of foundation to even out your skin tone, diminish the look of pores, etc. I have no experience with using this with a damp/wet sponge; I simply use the sponge that came with it to dab it on around my nose and chin.

I would not recommend this product if you have dry skin or use acne medications. I've noticed that if my skin is slightly dry, or if I have used an acne medication around my chin, the foundation either cakes up or, in the case of the acne medication, pills.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 7:09:00 PM More reviews by chellio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This powder rocks. I have very pale, very acne-prone skin that is also oily. I've tried SO MANY powders and foundations, and this is the only one that doesn't suck for my skin. Doesn't break me out, keeps me matte. Keeps my face looking pretty most of the day (although I do reapply), with minimal oil dabbing needed. HG status.

My only gripe is that all the shades tend to run a little pink, which is a little frustrating for me as someone who is more yellow-toned and still very pale. Regardless, shade 510 does the trick and isn't too dark. It'd be fabulous if CG would make this in more shades.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I don't usually wear CG but the reviews on this were "glowing" so I went on out and bought it. Applying with a powder brush did nothing at all so I thought I would wet the little sponge and dig in. I patted it on my skin which caused little black "boogers" to show up all over my face. I'm assuming it was reacting with my lotion or primer...who knows. Anyway, I couldn't be having that, so I splashed water on my face and patted dry (no soap) and guess what?!? It looked great! It looked like I had applied foundation. Weird right? The powder did not wash off at all. It just kind of settled down and looked good. The reason I rated it so low is because I shouldn't have to go through this mess to get my "foundation" to look right. Also, they should not call this a foundation because right out of the package, it's too sheer to even be called a powder. Also, it clogged my pores to hell and back! By the end of the day it still looked great except for the fact that I had zits popping up along my jaws and forehead. It's a no go for me. I'm glad it works for so many people though :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by laukelar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only powder I use, and I love that it's so quick and easy. I use it either as a foundation on top of BB cream and concealer, or over top of moisturizer, concealer, and light liquid foundation to set it a bit and even out the blush. As a foundation, it provides surprisingly good coverage for a powder. I would say it's almost identical to using a moderate amount of liquid foundation. I use a large fluffy powder brush to apply.
I haven't experienced major problems with breakouts; obviously your face will get more oily with makeup than without, at least in my experience.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Jilly914

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

After reading good reviews of this powder on MUA, I decided to give this powder foundation a try. To be honest, I don't think this should be called a powder foundation - it's way too sheer. At the same time, it's too pigmented to set my foundation as a finishing powder :(

When I put this powder on in the morning, it doesn't cover my redness or dark marks from left over pimples very well. It was matte when I first put it on, but I was shiney by noon. When I looked in the mirror, I could really see the redness in my skin. I tried to layer on a little more, but it just got cakey.

Also, I tried using this powder with a wet sponge to get more coverage. Big mistake! It settled in my pores and made them look huge. Yuck!

I guess this foundation would be ok for people with almost perfect normal skin. Otherwise, skip it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by annikarey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This powder was so sheer, I don't know why this is called a powder foundation. It worked somewhat better as a finishing powder, but the effects are just too subtle to notice. I started wearing this on top of suncreen and liquid foundation for a fully made-up look. I had to press the sponge hard to get the foundation on it. I had to rub it in hard. The powder didn't show up on my face until 15 minutes later. I bought spare sponges, and decided to just wear the powder on top of sunscreen. I still didn't see it until 10 to 15 minutes later. The light finish was just OK. It didn't look mask-like or thick. My compact is caking on the edges from me digging the powder out during application. I'm still looking for HG powder.