Cover Girl Simply Powder Foundation

3.9

Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Dextrin, Calcium Silicate, Nylon 12, Zinc Stearate, Quaternium 15, Lecithin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Propylparaben, Methicone, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Methylparaben, Lauroyl Lysine, Glyceryl Rosinate, Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, May Contain:, Ultramarines

on 5/15/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product really impressed me, and I wasn't expecting to like it at all. I have never had any luck with any Cover Girl product I've tried, but I was really wanting to try a powder foundation. I saw that this one had pretty good reviews, and it fit into my very tight budget, so I picked it up.

I have a lot of redness in the center of my face, but a very yellow neck, so I typically need a foundation with a lot more yellow in it than anything Cover Girl offers. I looked doubtfully at the shades, as all of them seemed to lean pink except for the 510 Classic Ivory. I thought this would be too pale for me, but was willing to risk it being too pale rather than too pink.

The compact is almost square, shiny black plastic. It does include a mirror and a small sponge for application. It has a slightly strange way of opening, and you can slide the powder back over the top of the mirror, if you would want to do that for some reason. The packaging is kind of clunky and not elegant at all, but I am really a lot more concerned with the product inside!

I was pleased not to notice any scent from the product. I applied it to bare skin initially, using the included puff, and liked the texture. It offered light to medium coverage, and looked smooth without looking dry and powdery. To my surprise, the color match was great--as others have said, I do feel this runs a bit dark.

I have experimented with all sorts of ways of applying this. Sometimes I use a large, fluffy brush, sometimes I use a smaller foundation brush. I have applied it wet with very good results, and even mixed it into my moisturizer and brushed it over my face that way. I do prefer all of these methods to using the included puff, which seems to put too much powder in one place, and doesn't look as natural. No matter how else I apply it though, it gives me enough coverage to clear out the redness in the center of my face, stays nicely matte for several hours on my very oily skin, and still manages to look natural. I am very pleased with that. Also, even after the oil does begin to seep through, this doesn't oxidize or melt off or get all cakey looking. It stays pretty natural looking, just not as matte.

My skin is not particularly sensitive, but there have been quite a few makeup products that seem to have caused acne flareups. I have not had any issues with this product at all--no irritation, and no pimples, either.

I would like it if this powder offered just a bit more coverage, and if it stayed matte for just a teeny bit longer. That, plus the clunky packaging, stopped me from giving it 5 lippies. But other than that I like this a lot and will definitely repurchase. To have found a foundation that works so well at this price point makes me want to sing!

For reference, the only other powder foundation I have ever tried is MAC Studio Fix, and I much prefer the Cover Girl. The MAC powder seemed too dry and didn't blend well enough, and for some reason i had a lot of trouble getting a good color match with it. It never looked natural at all.

I have a lot of texture issues with my skin (very oily t-zone but persistent flakes elsewhere and GIANT pores), and just can't find a liquid foundation/primer combination that doesn't make things worse. This powder foundation seems to be just the thing for me. A rare winner from Cover Girl!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I also bought this blind, but was hopeful because of so many positive reviews.

Unfortunately my skin reacted very strongly - within about 15 seconds I felt a distinct stinging sensation and I had to remove it and remove it quickly. I also had to apply aloe to help the inflammation. I'm still feeling a bit raw, and I'm a bit perplexed.

Then the compact itself had a curiously odd habit of letting the lid commit hari kari with no warning whatsoever. One minute it's sitting there all nice and politely and the next it's "I DON'T WANNA LIVE ON THIS PLANET" and quite rudely jumping off without even a "Ohai seeya later".

Very odd.

on 2/25/2015 6:07:00 PM

Love, love this . Better than studio fix by MAC thats for sure. Good coverage and long lasting.

on 1/30/2015 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was a good powder foundation and did not cause any breakouts like my previous one had. Helped with my oily skin, but had to re-apply to keep the oil under control.

on 8/20/2014 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Chicago summers are notoriously hot and sticky. Three seasons out of the year, I am fine with my CG Clean Makeup oil control foundation. But in the summertime, liquid foundation can be a little too heavy and doesn't last long, especially when spending anytime outside. I decided I wanted to look into powder foundation as a lighter alternative. (I also have a bit more color now so I don't have the need for too much coverage). Enter this little gem of a product.

I do like this as a foundation. On top of concealer and under (powder) blush. I use a kabuki brush and buff this on. If there are areas that need a little extra, I use the sponge it came with and lightly pat this on. The coverage is light but very buildable. I do not find it settling into any fine lines or pores (but my combination skin skews a little oily in the summer on 50% of my face).

I found the creamy natural (my usual CG shade) to be too yellow in the powder for some reason, so I went with Classic Ivory. I agree with other reviewers that this does run dark. The Classic Ivory is not what I would personally consider a traditional ivory shade but it's a little pink; perfect for my cool complexion. The staying power is on par with any other foundation I've used, powder or liquid. I also throw it in my bag for touch ups (usually at midday).

The packaging is fine; I saved the plastic sheet it was packaged with, cut it to the size of the powder "round," and keep it in between the provided sponge and the powder itself. I find this to be a cheaper alternative to Clinique double powder (?) makeup. So far I've had no issues with breakouts or clogged pores so I am pretty pleased.

on 8/13/2014 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

The coverage was good, evened out my skin, covered some marks. But, the color match was awful, it looked cakey and it magnified every pore. I applied this with the sponge and with a fluffy brush. I ended up returning this.

on 6/13/2014 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

PROS: Great coverage, natural/non-powdery on the skin, sturdy packaging, reliable, long-lasting, affordable
CONS: Color selection for us fair ladies :(

During the beginning of high school, I found my love in powder foundations. As a very natural kind of girl, I prefer looks that simply deceive the eye into thinking there is no makeup on my face but still brighten and naturally perfect. With such high reviews online and such a low price, I bought it and fell in love. The lasting power was excellent on me- 7-9 hours. The texture was smooth and the finish was undetectable on the skin. The coverage was a solid medium but buildable. It was gentle enough to let my skin breathe and not aggravate my teenage acne.

So what happened?

As I fell in love with this powder, I simultaneously began improving my skincare regimen. I fell in love with my naturally pale, Polish skin, began treating my hyperpigmentation, and embraced SPF 110 daily. The powder still worked brilliantly, but the lightest shade- Ivory- became dark enough to be my new bronzer.

The agony.

This stuff is totally HG status for me, but because of the lightness of my skin, I can't use this product. I hope that Cover Girl expands the range to accommodate both lighter and darker skin because this product is absolutely beautiful.

*Shakes fist at the makeup gods*

on 3/8/2014 5:51:00 PM

LOVE this powder!! It covers well & looks flawless!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Cover Girl's Simply Powder Foundation is a great basic, daytime foundation if you only need a little touch of foundation to even out your skin tone, diminish the look of pores, etc. I have no experience with using this with a damp/wet sponge; I simply use the sponge that came with it to dab it on around my nose and chin.

I would not recommend this product if you have dry skin or use acne medications. I've noticed that if my skin is slightly dry, or if I have used an acne medication around my chin, the foundation either cakes up or, in the case of the acne medication, pills.

on 11/3/2013 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This powder rocks. I have very pale, very acne-prone skin that is also oily. I've tried SO MANY powders and foundations, and this is the only one that doesn't suck for my skin. Doesn't break me out, keeps me matte. Keeps my face looking pretty most of the day (although I do reapply), with minimal oil dabbing needed. HG status.

My only gripe is that all the shades tend to run a little pink, which is a little frustrating for me as someone who is more yellow-toned and still very pale. Regardless, shade 510 does the trick and isn't too dark. It'd be fabulous if CG would make this in more shades.