November 24, 2014 | 983 users online

Skincare - Face - Accutane (by prescription)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 1:53:00 PM More reviews by brainchem

I always suffered with acne. I was able to get my skin under contol about two years ago.I would breakout sometimes but I still suffered from blackheads and really oily skin. So I decided to visit my dermatologist five months ago. At the Kaiser dermatology clinic I went to, you are appointed to an RN and the dermatologist just offers advise for more complicated issues. As I described my skin issues to the RN, she was ready to prescribe me an antibiotic and retin-a. I told her that I wanted accutane and if the dermatologist refused to sign the paper work I would go visit one who was willing. She was very hesitant and insisted that the dermatologist would not prescibe it to me because I did not have severe nodular acne. My case was very mild but If I excersised my skin would break out like crazy. So she brought the dermatologist in and she told me that "there wasn't a case for accutane yet". The dermatologist told me to take the antibiotic and use the retin a and see how I respond. But I knew those products were going to do nothing for my oily skin. So I went home threw the anibiotics away (As a bio student I know way too much about antibiotic resistant bacteria), and used the retin a for breakouts. Retin a, made my skin more oily looking, however I didnt use long enough to write a review . A month later I went to the dermatologist office, I told the RN that my skin was ok, but I wanted my accutane now. I have seen dermatologists before and I was always afraid to ask them directly for accutane. I was always hoping they would prescribe it, I was just afraid of rejection and the shame this disease comes with it. But I went in there determined to get it prescribed. So when I asked the RN again for accutane she reiterated what she had previosly told me, that the derm would not prescribe it for my type of acne and oily skin. I insisted. So she called another dermatologist in to see me, she was expecting him to say no, But he saw me and he told me " All I can tell you is that accutane cannot guarantee a cure for oily skin, it does for some people but not for all people. I will sign all the paperwork, Im ok with it". and he walked out.When he walks out the RN tells me she would never let her daughter take it because it makes people miserable with dry skin, joint/back pain, nose bleeds, and ect. I just told her that I was miserable already. So I was prescibed Claravis and took 40mg everyday the first month and 60mg the following 3 months. I'll be done with accutane in two weeks. My skin is no longer oily,it's normal. In addition, I did not experience dry skin at all, just normal, with the exception of dry lips. No nosebleeds, no joint pain. The only thing accuatne did for me was make my oily skin normal and I don't breakout anymore. I took a cumulative dose, taking 40mg a day. I have no more blackheads, and my pores are so much smaller, it's a miracle drug. I still have acne marks but I cover them with foundation.I'mvery happy with the results. I will update to see how I do in the following months post- accutane.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 8:07:00 AM More reviews by alina08

I went on generic accutane for my acne after years of battling cystic acne and being told that I had acne because I did not wash my face properly, needed to change my pillowcase, should apply salicylic acid, birth control, etc., none of which worked. This is a miracle product for those who have struggled with acne for most of their adult lives like I have. I took a 40 mg dose over five months, which was sufficient to curb the horrific acne I had. It does not clear up acne, it just prevents new cysts from forming, so I still noticed pimples for the first two months, but they were old and fading and I did not get new ones. I am very satisfied with the results and did not suffer many side effects besides really dry skin, but keep in mind my dose was moderate.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by crystalradium

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had severe cystic acne as a teenager; I went on Accutane the year it was introduced as an acne treatment in the U.S. The side effects I experienced were occasional mild nausea, moderate joint pain (mostly in my lower back), and very dry skin and lips. I was on it for 6 months, then took a 2nd 6-month course after a 6-month break. It did dramatically clear up my skin - it didn't get rid of my breakouts *entirely*, but since I finished it, I've only had occasional hormonal/stress/bad product breakouts, generally only in isolated spots. To this day I get compliments on how pretty my skin is, and that's taking into consideration that I'm ultra-pale, so every blemish shows. If I had it to do over, I'd definitely take Accutane again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Accutane.... The single thing that has changed my life forever.
I have had acne since the eight grade. Nothing to chronic or severe, but just persistent acne. I am currently going to be a sophomore in college. I began accutane my second semester my freshman year of college. I've tried 3 oral antibiotics for acne: Bactrim, minocycline and clindamycin. None of them worked. As soon as I stopped their courses, my skin would return to its normal state of acne.
Well, in short, I took this for 6 months. 40mg my first month and the next 5 months I took 60mg. My skin was completely clear halfway through my third month. I have not gotten a zit in perhaps 5 months now.
Accutane changed my life. I still constantly forget that I now have this beautiful, soft, amazing skin that is no longer prone to breaking out if I accidentally touch my skin or forget to wash my face at night. I don't have to worry about acne anymore. That is a huge stress off my back.
The only symptoms I experienced while taking accutane were dry lips, dry skin, dry scalp, dry hair, and mild lower back pain that went away by the fourth month. Everything was manageable with Aquaphor, CeraVe and argan oil.
I have been off accutane for almost a month now, and my skin is still looking great. My lips are definitely not as dry as they were while I was on accutane, but my skin is just as dry, if not dryer. My skin is very much more fragile now as well. I can no longer use my Clarisonic or muslin classing cloths. I can use only the cleansing cloth about once every 2 weeks or so. If I rub to hard on my skin while putting on moisturizer my skin begins to sting. My skin is like a fragile porcelain doll's. That may perhaps go away more so as time passes. But, I also can't use exfoliators, masks, serums, etc.. on my skin. Only if they are intended for extreme moisture, and even then my skin sometimes reacts in a stinging way and becomes all red and irritated.
Overall, if you have the chance to take accutane, DEFINITELY take it. The side effects can sometimes be hard to manage, but the change that it makes to your skin and how that can affect your life in such a great way makes up for every side effect and pain it is to go into monthly doctor visits and get monthly blood work and pregnancy tests.
I also LOVE that my skin isn't super oily anymore. I don't need to use blotting papers just a few hours after I shower and throughout the day like I used to before I took my course of accutane.
BEST drug to cure acne for good that is on the market. Take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by KatharinaKrasteva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I decided that I could also write my accutane story to may help any of you..
I had mild acne,really few tiny pimples as any average teenager but then I start to taking birth control pills and my acne went so bad or at least for me it seemed to be the end of the world so I stopped taking bc pills but my acne was still there,pretty resistant and then began a rough time when I tried almost every topical lotion as skinoren,duac gel prescribed by my dermatologist and also antibiotics as minocyclin,doxicyclin,tetracyclin,some special drops to enhance my imune system and also many cleananser from Larose Possay,avene,Bioderma,Eucerin I have also tried a chemical peeling but nothing really helped me. Well, yes there were some bright moments when my skin was clean but those breakouts I'v got..I was able to destroy my skin by picking those big red pimples which I made even worse..
Than I finally got my accutane prescription even when my acne wasn't bad enough but I've tried almost everything.
I have to say this is an amazing drug,I was taking 30mg first three months and now I'm carry on with 20mg,now I am on accuane 9 months and I think there are just 3 months left and were done!
My side effects are just dry lips and dry skin. My acne was better just after one month without any breakouts and after 4 months a had completly clean skin,no scarring,nothing just flawles skin.I am so happy now and I'm enjoying to go out without any makeup on. I hated tu put those tons of concelar and makeup but without them I wouldn't leave my house.
If you are interestied I could send a picture of my face now or tell you some other experience with accutane and other acne treatment.
Don't let the side effects scary you! It is worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Jordanelizabethsmith

I had severe acne for five years that hurt so bad I just couldn't take it any longer, so my derm recommended this to me. It isn't an expensive medicine, but the bloodwork definitely isn't cheap. Also, since I am a woman, I had to go to the doctor every other week, and that was a pain. But I would do it all over again. It took 6 months, so it's not a snap-of-the-fingers type of treatment, but NOT A BLEMISH left. And I'm talking that I couldn't touch my forehead without it hurting because there was acne there, same with my chin and temples. This cleared it all up so perfectly and it's truly a miracle to me. I would recommend this to anyone with oily skin, because it dries you out soo much! I had really oily skin and it even dried me out! Even now my skin isn't at the same oil levels and it's been months! The only downside is that you have to keep putting medicine on your skin to prevent future acne. THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by gurlypowa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh I really really wish I didn't go on Accutane. Yes, it got rid of my acne... but the side effects were horrible! my skin became very dry... my face looks rough, I started getting sores on the rest of my body. my hair became even MORE dry and brittle than before I started Accutane, my nails - every one of them are dry and broken. the corners of my lips were cracked and bleeding, making it very very hard to eat! But no acne, which I guess, is the point of it all.

Unfortunately, no acne only lasted 2 years, and my acne came BACK. my face became oily again, but my hair and nails remained dry and damaged.

thankfully, Im now using the Clarisonic, and that has solved my acne problems. now I rely on the most expensive shampoos and conditioners to keep my hair from looking like a nest. My nails, unfortunately, remain neglected :(.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Lol98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It really is a miracle drug! I know their is a lot of side effects, but after six months they are all gone and you are left with clear skin. Just awesome :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 7:14:00 AM More reviews by originalconfidence

Ive been on it 3 months and it cleared my acne. I tried holistic methods such as fully raw vegan and nearly killed myself with eating disorders. Girls do no go on strict elimination diets. It made me into a man by giving me hormone imbalances. Accutane is the answer to acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:29:00 AM More reviews by jillmg89

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know why I am just getting around to reviewing this product, but better late than never! During my late thirties, I broke out with horrible cystic acne along my neck and jawline. I had moderate acne as a teenager, but nothing like this. I had heard not so great things about Accutane (causes severe depression, causes severe birth defects, harsh on the body, etc.), so I put off trying it. After numerous painful visits to my dermatologist (I had to have the cysts injected every couple of weeks to help them go down in size and I began to get scarring), I got desperate and decided to give Accutane a try. My dermatologist assured me that as long as you take it as advised, it is safe, as her teenage son had even used it. This medication is no joke and there is a process to it- you will need to take monthly blood and urine tests (to make sure that you're not pregnant and to make sure no damage is being done to your liver, as the drug is processed through your liver). You must avoid alcohol when taking Accutane, as it increases your risk of liver damage. Once you clear the tests, you are renewed on your monthly script and must have it filled within a certain amount of days- if you don't, the script is no good and you will need to begin the process of tests all over again. For woman, part of this process is going through the "Ipledge" system. This is a monitoring system where you have to "pledge" that you are on at least two forms of birth control and that you will "pledge" to stay on birth control throughout taking the medication. After the first month of taking Accutane, I began to see an improvement. You will need to know however, that Accutane will zap the oils from your system. You will need a very good moisturizer and lip balm, as your skin and lips will become extremely dry (the worst chapped lips I have ever had in my life). It will also dry your hair, as I normally need to wash my hair every day, but only needed to wash it a few times a week while taking this medication. Fast forward three months- wow, almost all of my acne is gone! After four months of taking the medication, I was done with my treatment, and, my skin never looked better! I was told that some people who take Accutane experience a recurrence of acne. Fortunately, it has been about 6 years since I've taken it, and aside from the occasional pimple, I have not had any problems with acne. I would also like to add that when my daughter was 15, she broke out with horrible acne on her face and chest area. She too went on Accutane, and she too, has not had any problems since (for her, it has been 3 years). Thankfully, I have good insurance, so our co-pay was only $10 a month (we were given the generic brand). If you do not have good insurance, or any insurance at all, it can be costly (hundreds of dollars per script).