March 1, 2015 | 2308 users online

Skincare - Face - Accutane (by prescription)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2015 11:39:00 PM More reviews by beckycarlson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been on accutane 3 different times. It does not work. I mean, I know it works for some people, but for me it always came back. I think it is too much of a risk to put your body through accutane, when there is a big possibility of it not even working. It took me 3 times to learn this. Accutane is supposed to be a cure-all, end-all acne solution. A lifetime one, at that !!! My acne always came back within one year each time, almost worse than before. It's a huge risk, and for it to not even work ? Ridiculous. I am now vegan and my acne has completely healed. I get the odd little whitehead every now and again, but no cysts, no more deep, painful, embarrassing spots. It's a miracle what my skin has become, it really is amazing. Going vegan was probably the best thing I've ever done, especially for my skin. I think its all the hormones in dairy and meat. I mean, almost all acne is hormonal. If you look into it, it really all comes down to hormones. Pumping artificial hormones through your body throws your hormones out of whack. Also, what you put into your body is what you see externally. They say it doesn't matter what you eat, it doesn't affect your skin. HUGE lie. It took me years of embarrassing acne and hating my skin, having to hide behind layers of concealer and foundation, thinking I was hideous to finally realize: what you put in, is what you get out. Accutane is not a solution to WHY you are having acne. It's almost like what chemotherapy is to cancer; throwing very harsh, intense drugs at the problem, trying to destroy it. You need to treat your body well, starting with the inside. Acne is always a bigger problem than just "bad skin" or "bad genetics". Please listen to me and give it a chance. I would have loved for someone to tell me this years ago when I was young and foolish, considering accutane. Learn from my mistakes, people !!! Oil cleansing is great, too. Drink lots of water. No cheese or milk especially, even if you can't give up meat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2015 11:11:00 PM More reviews by amary18

For those suffering with acne -- I know what it's like. I've suffered with mild acne that has cleared on its own, then has gotten progressively worse since I was in the sixth grade.

In high school I remember my parents taking me to see a dermatologist. The derm I saw recommended accutane, which I did take for a few days until I experienced a horrible reaction --I broke out in hives all over my arms and was told to stop taking it immediately.

I'm 25 now. It wasn't until last year I had it with the break outs. I got my family doctor to refer me to a dermatologist. I diligently booked the time off work as needed to see my derm to do follow-up appointments /blood tests as required, and get my prescription.

I started taking it in December 2013 and finished the course in early June 2014. The beginning was a nightmare --dry, tight skin. Esp with winters it was tough, but I stuck it out. Make sure you have a good moisturizer on hand and chapstick/vaseline if you do decide to take it.

The results = clear skin (with hyperpigmentation from all the post-acne; which is easy to conceal). I haven't had a pimple since!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2015 11:26:00 PM More reviews by EmilyHobson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

MIRACLE IN A PILL. People who say Accutane does not work may have no been consistent with their medication, didn't take it long enough, didn't get a high enough dosage, couldn't deal with the side effects, or any number of things. There are there those RARE cases where this drug does work, but that is how all medications work. Not all people are the same/respond the same. However, for the percentage of people this drug does work for it's pretty much a miracle to say the least. From age 10-20 I has terrible acne and was always told it would just go away with age in addition to being prescribed countless pills and topical creams. I recall the other pills doing nothing and the topical creams made my skin raw and burn. The only thing you have to deal with when taking accutane is dry.. Well everything. Mostly dry lips. But most of us that have bad acne also have over active sebaceous glands making our skin, hair, etc extra oily. So actually the drying out part didn't bother me at all, it was actually nice! And ever since I stopped taking it my skin and hair is not anywhere close to as oily as it was before. I haven't taken it in a long time and my skin is still great without any special attention required!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by lylaura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

By the way I finally have clear skin and not because of Accutane. You can read the horrors I went through on Accutaen below.

I really do not recommend Accutane. Those that say it cleared up their skin haven't hit the 2-4 year mark after when the acne comes back worse! it always does I know a few more people that were on this horrible drug and their acne definitely came back some had worse side effects than I did :(.

Try these recommendations for 1 month before you try Accutane:

In 2012 I started seeing my friend's Acne specialist (not Dermatologist) In ONE month my skin cleared up, and has remained clear for now 2 years! :D. Here are the tips from the Acne Specialist that cleared my Acne for good:

1. NO PEANUTS which contain hormone progesterone(all other nuts are fine), NO MILK, and only SEA SALT if use salt.

2.THROW AWAY ANY BEAUTY PRODUCT WITH FRAGRANCE, and only use unscented dye free detergent.

Following the tips above my skin cleared in one month, and has remained clear for past 2 Years :D I can't believe I spent so much money going to dermatologist for 10 years and on acne products that don't work. FYI also anything with a dye will break you out and acne product and toners always tend to have blue and green dye.... that's just wrong.Try this before you go on Accutane, give it one month.

Original Review My Experince on Accutane: I have been going to different top dermatologists since I was 14 in San Francisco. My acne wasn't that bad it could be covered up with makeup, but it was just persistent and left red marks and scarring on my pale skin, I did get tiny cysts maybe once a month, only on my jawline that bugged me as well. By time I was 20 decided to go on accutane DR made it seem like the cure,I read about side effects and thought I would be ok because I am healthy. Once a month you have to get your blood-work done, I started developing lower back pain and told my doctor she said it was unrelated. It was because accutane was adversely affecting my kidneys; till this day I sometimes still get the pain. The worst about being on the accutane was that my face did not clear up right away, it actually got worse! I started getting bigger cysts in the first 2 months my lips got super dry so did the rest of my skin. I had to be on Accutane for 6 months which I thought was worth it if it would work. by moth 3 or 4 my skin cleared up I was so happy that I didn't care about side effects. then 2 years later the acne came back but this time it was all cystic and worse than before. I went to another dermatologist for a second opinion I did not want to get back on accutane and go through side effects, and the the horrible purging process, My new Doctor assured me I would not purge this time, because before I was on "too high a dose", she would lower my dose to avoid purging, and inject any cysts with Cortisone (which is so unhealthy). After 2 doctors told me best treatment for me was accutane I decided to go through it again, 2nd Time: worse back pain than first time, headaches, nose bleeds etc, I started taking and even lower dose than my doc suggested. Side effects were so bad even painful dry eye and dry lips not cute. But my skin cleared up even faster, but side effects were so bad I stopped a few weeks into month 4. Second Round Clear skin lasted 4 years , but you still have to be meticulous about skin care routine but no cysts. Last year large cysts started appearing so I went to Dermatologist for cortisone injections and was getting about 10 in one sitting, she suggested accutane again and other medication, and $200 facials!!! FYI she said facials I would not see results until after the 8th one....Crazy doctors I really suggest you don't go on Accutane not worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by mhirch

I had acne, only appearing in my t-zone, two years ago. I went on accutane and all my acne had miraculously cleared. Yes, I would recieve the odd pimple, but all in all, my skin had been completely cleared. I then went off accutane and continued with tri-cyclen, the birth control I had been taking while on accutane. My acne was gone for about a solid year. The second year was coming around and I had gone off my birth control; I thought it would have been alright to considering my acne had been at bay for so long. A month after I went off tri-cyclen birth control, my acne came back worse than before. I recieved acne on my cheeks, which had never been a problem for me before accutane. For the most part, accutane is an alright temporary solution, but in the long run, it does not 'cure' acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 1:53:00 PM More reviews by brainchem

I always suffered with acne. I was able to get my skin under contol about two years ago.I would breakout sometimes but I still suffered from blackheads and really oily skin. So I decided to visit my dermatologist five months ago. At the Kaiser dermatology clinic I went to, you are appointed to an RN and the dermatologist just offers advise for more complicated issues. As I described my skin issues to the RN, she was ready to prescribe me an antibiotic and retin-a. I told her that I wanted accutane and if the dermatologist refused to sign the paper work I would go visit one who was willing. She was very hesitant and insisted that the dermatologist would not prescibe it to me because I did not have severe nodular acne. My case was very mild but If I excersised my skin would break out like crazy. So she brought the dermatologist in and she told me that "there wasn't a case for accutane yet". The dermatologist told me to take the antibiotic and use the retin a and see how I respond. But I knew those products were going to do nothing for my oily skin. So I went home threw the anibiotics away (As a bio student I know way too much about antibiotic resistant bacteria), and used the retin a for breakouts. Retin a, made my skin more oily looking, however I didnt use long enough to write a review . A month later I went to the dermatologist office, I told the RN that my skin was ok, but I wanted my accutane now. I have seen dermatologists before and I was always afraid to ask them directly for accutane. I was always hoping they would prescribe it, I was just afraid of rejection and the shame this disease comes with it. But I went in there determined to get it prescribed. So when I asked the RN again for accutane she reiterated what she had previosly told me, that the derm would not prescribe it for my type of acne and oily skin. I insisted. So she called another dermatologist in to see me, she was expecting him to say no, But he saw me and he told me " All I can tell you is that accutane cannot guarantee a cure for oily skin, it does for some people but not for all people. I will sign all the paperwork, Im ok with it". and he walked out.When he walks out the RN tells me she would never let her daughter take it because it makes people miserable with dry skin, joint/back pain, nose bleeds, and ect. I just told her that I was miserable already. So I was prescibed Claravis and took 40mg everyday the first month and 60mg the following 3 months. I'll be done with accutane in two weeks. My skin is no longer oily,it's normal. In addition, I did not experience dry skin at all, just normal, with the exception of dry lips. No nosebleeds, no joint pain. The only thing accuatne did for me was make my oily skin normal and I don't breakout anymore. I took a cumulative dose, taking 40mg a day. I have no more blackheads, and my pores are so much smaller, it's a miracle drug. I still have acne marks but I cover them with foundation.I'mvery happy with the results. I will update to see how I do in the following months post- accutane.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 8:07:00 AM More reviews by alina08

I went on generic accutane for my acne after years of battling cystic acne and being told that I had acne because I did not wash my face properly, needed to change my pillowcase, should apply salicylic acid, birth control, etc., none of which worked. This is a miracle product for those who have struggled with acne for most of their adult lives like I have. I took a 40 mg dose over five months, which was sufficient to curb the horrific acne I had. It does not clear up acne, it just prevents new cysts from forming, so I still noticed pimples for the first two months, but they were old and fading and I did not get new ones. I am very satisfied with the results and did not suffer many side effects besides really dry skin, but keep in mind my dose was moderate.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by crystalradium

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had severe cystic acne as a teenager; I went on Accutane the year it was introduced as an acne treatment in the U.S. The side effects I experienced were occasional mild nausea, moderate joint pain (mostly in my lower back), and very dry skin and lips. I was on it for 6 months, then took a 2nd 6-month course after a 6-month break. It did dramatically clear up my skin - it didn't get rid of my breakouts *entirely*, but since I finished it, I've only had occasional hormonal/stress/bad product breakouts, generally only in isolated spots. To this day I get compliments on how pretty my skin is, and that's taking into consideration that I'm ultra-pale, so every blemish shows. If I had it to do over, I'd definitely take Accutane again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Accutane.... The single thing that has changed my life forever.
I have had acne since the eight grade. Nothing to chronic or severe, but just persistent acne. I am currently going to be a sophomore in college. I began accutane my second semester my freshman year of college. I've tried 3 oral antibiotics for acne: Bactrim, minocycline and clindamycin. None of them worked. As soon as I stopped their courses, my skin would return to its normal state of acne.
Well, in short, I took this for 6 months. 40mg my first month and the next 5 months I took 60mg. My skin was completely clear halfway through my third month. I have not gotten a zit in perhaps 5 months now.
Accutane changed my life. I still constantly forget that I now have this beautiful, soft, amazing skin that is no longer prone to breaking out if I accidentally touch my skin or forget to wash my face at night. I don't have to worry about acne anymore. That is a huge stress off my back.
The only symptoms I experienced while taking accutane were dry lips, dry skin, dry scalp, dry hair, and mild lower back pain that went away by the fourth month. Everything was manageable with Aquaphor, CeraVe and argan oil.
I have been off accutane for almost a month now, and my skin is still looking great. My lips are definitely not as dry as they were while I was on accutane, but my skin is just as dry, if not dryer. My skin is very much more fragile now as well. I can no longer use my Clarisonic or muslin classing cloths. I can use only the cleansing cloth about once every 2 weeks or so. If I rub to hard on my skin while putting on moisturizer my skin begins to sting. My skin is like a fragile porcelain doll's. That may perhaps go away more so as time passes. But, I also can't use exfoliators, masks, serums, etc.. on my skin. Only if they are intended for extreme moisture, and even then my skin sometimes reacts in a stinging way and becomes all red and irritated.
Overall, if you have the chance to take accutane, DEFINITELY take it. The side effects can sometimes be hard to manage, but the change that it makes to your skin and how that can affect your life in such a great way makes up for every side effect and pain it is to go into monthly doctor visits and get monthly blood work and pregnancy tests.
I also LOVE that my skin isn't super oily anymore. I don't need to use blotting papers just a few hours after I shower and throughout the day like I used to before I took my course of accutane.
BEST drug to cure acne for good that is on the market. Take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by KatharinaKrasteva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I decided that I could also write my accutane story to may help any of you..
I had mild acne,really few tiny pimples as any average teenager but then I start to taking birth control pills and my acne went so bad or at least for me it seemed to be the end of the world so I stopped taking bc pills but my acne was still there,pretty resistant and then began a rough time when I tried almost every topical lotion as skinoren,duac gel prescribed by my dermatologist and also antibiotics as minocyclin,doxicyclin,tetracyclin,some special drops to enhance my imune system and also many cleananser from Larose Possay,avene,Bioderma,Eucerin I have also tried a chemical peeling but nothing really helped me. Well, yes there were some bright moments when my skin was clean but those breakouts I'v got..I was able to destroy my skin by picking those big red pimples which I made even worse..
Than I finally got my accutane prescription even when my acne wasn't bad enough but I've tried almost everything.
I have to say this is an amazing drug,I was taking 30mg first three months and now I'm carry on with 20mg,now I am on accuane 9 months and I think there are just 3 months left and were done!
My side effects are just dry lips and dry skin. My acne was better just after one month without any breakouts and after 4 months a had completly clean skin,no scarring,nothing just flawles skin.I am so happy now and I'm enjoying to go out without any makeup on. I hated tu put those tons of concelar and makeup but without them I wouldn't leave my house.
If you are interestied I could send a picture of my face now or tell you some other experience with accutane and other acne treatment.
Don't let the side effects scary you! It is worth it.