August 30, 2014 | 901 users online

Skincare - Face - Accutane (by prescription)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Accutane.... The single thing that has changed my life forever.
I have had acne since the eight grade. Nothing to chronic or severe, but just persistent acne. I am currently going to be a sophomore in college. I began accutane my second semester my freshman year of college. I've tried 3 oral antibiotics for acne: Bactrim, minocycline and clindamycin. None of them worked. As soon as I stopped their courses, my skin would return to its normal state of acne.
Well, in short, I took this for 6 months. 40mg my first month and the next 5 months I took 60mg. My skin was completely clear halfway through my third month. I have not gotten a zit in perhaps 5 months now.
Accutane changed my life. I still constantly forget that I now have this beautiful, soft, amazing skin that is no longer prone to breaking out if I accidentally touch my skin or forget to wash my face at night. I don't have to worry about acne anymore. That is a huge stress off my back.
The only symptoms I experienced while taking accutane were dry lips, dry skin, dry scalp, dry hair, and mild lower back pain that went away by the fourth month. Everything was manageable with Aquaphor, CeraVe and argan oil.
I have been off accutane for almost a month now, and my skin is still looking great. My lips are definitely not as dry as they were while I was on accutane, but my skin is just as dry, if not dryer. My skin is very much more fragile now as well. I can no longer use my Clarisonic or muslin classing cloths. I can use only the cleansing cloth about once every 2 weeks or so. If I rub to hard on my skin while putting on moisturizer my skin begins to sting. My skin is like a fragile porcelain doll's. That may perhaps go away more so as time passes. But, I also can't use exfoliators, masks, serums, etc.. on my skin. Only if they are intended for extreme moisture, and even then my skin sometimes reacts in a stinging way and becomes all red and irritated.
Overall, if you have the chance to take accutane, DEFINITELY take it. The side effects can sometimes be hard to manage, but the change that it makes to your skin and how that can affect your life in such a great way makes up for every side effect and pain it is to go into monthly doctor visits and get monthly blood work and pregnancy tests.
I also LOVE that my skin isn't super oily anymore. I don't need to use blotting papers just a few hours after I shower and throughout the day like I used to before I took my course of accutane.
BEST drug to cure acne for good that is on the market. Take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by KatharinaKrasteva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I decided that I could also write my accutane story to may help any of you..
I had mild acne,really few tiny pimples as any average teenager but then I start to taking birth control pills and my acne went so bad or at least for me it seemed to be the end of the world so I stopped taking bc pills but my acne was still there,pretty resistant and then began a rough time when I tried almost every topical lotion as skinoren,duac gel prescribed by my dermatologist and also antibiotics as minocyclin,doxicyclin,tetracyclin,some special drops to enhance my imune system and also many cleananser from Larose Possay,avene,Bioderma,Eucerin I have also tried a chemical peeling but nothing really helped me. Well, yes there were some bright moments when my skin was clean but those breakouts I'v got..I was able to destroy my skin by picking those big red pimples which I made even worse..
Than I finally got my accutane prescription even when my acne wasn't bad enough but I've tried almost everything.
I have to say this is an amazing drug,I was taking 30mg first three months and now I'm carry on with 20mg,now I am on accuane 9 months and I think there are just 3 months left and were done!
My side effects are just dry lips and dry skin. My acne was better just after one month without any breakouts and after 4 months a had completly clean skin,no scarring,nothing just flawles skin.I am so happy now and I'm enjoying to go out without any makeup on. I hated tu put those tons of concelar and makeup but without them I wouldn't leave my house.
If you are interestied I could send a picture of my face now or tell you some other experience with accutane and other acne treatment.
Don't let the side effects scary you! It is worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

It works.

All I really have to say here is that I am so, so grateful that isotretinoin (Accutane) exists. I grew up with severe cystic and persistent acne that not a single treatment, over the counter med, holistic remedy, birth control pill, or chemical from the dermatologist could touch. I am NOT exaggerating. You wouldn't believe some of the things I tried. And NOTHING helped...until this.

I've taken it three times. My acne came back each time, but much, MUCH milder than before. Like...it's not even comparable. I'm now starting vitamin A/retinol supplements and topical retin-A to maintain high skin cell turnover and keep my flawless (yes, flawless) results this time. I will write reviews accordingly if it works.

You have to be careful to stay hydrated. I got severe nosebleeds if I wasn't careful to do this. Also, I've found that it did bother my digestion some, and taking a good probiotic and eating fermented foods works wonders in that regard. I suffered no other major side effects, and I acknowledge that I am fortunate. I know some people have a horrible time on this drug. But for me, it gave me my life back. I grew up believing I was a hideous creature and didn't realize I was pretty until 21...too long. I wish I could have gone on Accutane sooner and not wasted so much time with the endless dermatologists, treatments, pills, creams, supplements, diet changes (don't get me wrong - I eat well and take excellent care of myself, but that makes the breakouts much more frustrating...like, what else is there left to do?!)

It works.

It really effing works.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Jordanelizabethsmith

I had severe acne for five years that hurt so bad I just couldn't take it any longer, so my derm recommended this to me. It isn't an expensive medicine, but the bloodwork definitely isn't cheap. Also, since I am a woman, I had to go to the doctor every other week, and that was a pain. But I would do it all over again. It took 6 months, so it's not a snap-of-the-fingers type of treatment, but NOT A BLEMISH left. And I'm talking that I couldn't touch my forehead without it hurting because there was acne there, same with my chin and temples. This cleared it all up so perfectly and it's truly a miracle to me. I would recommend this to anyone with oily skin, because it dries you out soo much! I had really oily skin and it even dried me out! Even now my skin isn't at the same oil levels and it's been months! The only downside is that you have to keep putting medicine on your skin to prevent future acne. THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by gurlypowa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh I really really wish I didn't go on Accutane. Yes, it got rid of my acne... but the side effects were horrible! my skin became very dry... my face looks rough, I started getting sores on the rest of my body. my hair became even MORE dry and brittle than before I started Accutane, my nails - every one of them are dry and broken. the corners of my lips were cracked and bleeding, making it very very hard to eat! But no acne, which I guess, is the point of it all.

Unfortunately, no acne only lasted 2 years, and my acne came BACK. my face became oily again, but my hair and nails remained dry and damaged.

thankfully, Im now using the Clarisonic, and that has solved my acne problems. now I rely on the most expensive shampoos and conditioners to keep my hair from looking like a nest. My nails, unfortunately, remain neglected :(.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Lol98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It really is a miracle drug! I know their is a lot of side effects, but after six months they are all gone and you are left with clear skin. Just awesome :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 7:14:00 AM More reviews by originalconfidence

Ive been on it 3 months and it cleared my acne. I tried holistic methods such as fully raw vegan and nearly killed myself with eating disorders. Girls do no go on strict elimination diets. It made me into a man by giving me hormone imbalances. Accutane is the answer to acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:29:00 AM More reviews by jillmg89

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know why I am just getting around to reviewing this product, but better late than never! During my late thirties, I broke out with horrible cystic acne along my neck and jawline. I had moderate acne as a teenager, but nothing like this. I had heard not so great things about Accutane (causes severe depression, causes severe birth defects, harsh on the body, etc.), so I put off trying it. After numerous painful visits to my dermatologist (I had to have the cysts injected every couple of weeks to help them go down in size and I began to get scarring), I got desperate and decided to give Accutane a try. My dermatologist assured me that as long as you take it as advised, it is safe, as her teenage son had even used it. This medication is no joke and there is a process to it- you will need to take monthly blood and urine tests (to make sure that you're not pregnant and to make sure no damage is being done to your liver, as the drug is processed through your liver). You must avoid alcohol when taking Accutane, as it increases your risk of liver damage. Once you clear the tests, you are renewed on your monthly script and must have it filled within a certain amount of days- if you don't, the script is no good and you will need to begin the process of tests all over again. For woman, part of this process is going through the "Ipledge" system. This is a monitoring system where you have to "pledge" that you are on at least two forms of birth control and that you will "pledge" to stay on birth control throughout taking the medication. After the first month of taking Accutane, I began to see an improvement. You will need to know however, that Accutane will zap the oils from your system. You will need a very good moisturizer and lip balm, as your skin and lips will become extremely dry (the worst chapped lips I have ever had in my life). It will also dry your hair, as I normally need to wash my hair every day, but only needed to wash it a few times a week while taking this medication. Fast forward three months- wow, almost all of my acne is gone! After four months of taking the medication, I was done with my treatment, and, my skin never looked better! I was told that some people who take Accutane experience a recurrence of acne. Fortunately, it has been about 6 years since I've taken it, and aside from the occasional pimple, I have not had any problems with acne. I would also like to add that when my daughter was 15, she broke out with horrible acne on her face and chest area. She too went on Accutane, and she too, has not had any problems since (for her, it has been 3 years). Thankfully, I have good insurance, so our co-pay was only $10 a month (we were given the generic brand). If you do not have good insurance, or any insurance at all, it can be costly (hundreds of dollars per script).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by alishe43093

Second time doing accutane and it is so well worth it. The first time I took it I was 15. It cleared me up for about three ish years but then it slowly came back. It was not as bad as it was before but it was unpredictable and persistent...

Tips!!
-ONLY use cetaphil moisturizer and facewash.
-Every time you use face wash or moisurizer, put a few drops of jojoba oil.
-constanly keep chapstick on you. aquaphor, eos, burts bees, nivea, or regular classic chapstick (actually ended up being my favorite on round two of accutane) are good brands
-Only wash your face at night (especially if you use makeup) I get dry patches while on accutane if I wash twice a day. If you apply makeup on top of dry skin....looks horrible.
-In the morning, I apply moisturizer/jojoba oil and use loreal lumi foundation. Spreading with my hands and using a makeup sponge looks the best when on accutane. Using a brush made it look weird with my dry skin (kind of weird??)..
-My hands didn't get as dry on my second course but always keep moisturizer (aveeno) with you. Once in a while, my hands got a little bit of eczema on them. Nothing bad if I just moisturize once in a while. (add jojoba oil here too!)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 8:09:00 AM More reviews by lessismore3

Absolutely do this if you struggle with acne. My only regret is that I waited until I was 20 to take accutane. The side effects are overstated and it is an incredible drug.