L'Artisan Fragrances La Haie Fleurie

3.6

Notes: jasmine, orange blossom, narcissus, ylang-ylang, honeysuckle, vanilla and oakmoss.

This fragrance starts with a blast of jasmine and orange blossom narcissus joining them almost immediately. The resulting floral bouquet is interesting: the first two notes are bright and sweet, whereas the third note is dark and spicy. This characteristic of narcissus tames the over-abundant sweetness of the white flowers. Ylang-yang completes the accord and mitigates the intensity of the composition with its exotic aroma reminiscent of lush tropic vegetation. What I see now is a jasmine dominated floral bouquet, feminine and sweet in an adult way; narcissus and ylang-ylang are too rich and too complex for this scent to be girly or sugary. As the fragrance progresses, oak moss replaces the volatile the spring flower narcissus. On me this is the moment the scent loses its sparkly, bright floral quality and becomes duller and greener as it dries down. La Haie Fleurie is a strong, clean floral (no indolic jasmine) suitable for the day. Lasts four hours in my skin.

on 2/2/2011 6:44:00 PM

I have read that the fragrance has been reformulated (around 2009) and that it now has a reduced jasmine presence. My review is for the pre-reformulated version.
Reviewers have noted jasmine, honeysuckle, hyacinth, and wisteria with an oak moss base. I know I detect honeysuckle and jasmine with some sort of indolic moody base. I love it. It has good sillage and lasts a long time on my skin. It is a white floral and does not offer any apologies for being so. It is unique - having tested it one year I was able to recall and pine for it two years later. I 'had' to buy a larger bottle than I would have liked because it wasn't available in a smaller container - I am now glad I did so. The company webpage lists the following notes for the formula (2/2/2011): jasmine, narcissus, honeysuckle

on 2/1/2011 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I will buy this product again when I have money to spare. It is pricey but this fragrance is so beautiful. I first tried it when I was working in Paris. I walked by the L'Artisan store and sprayed a tester on my wrist. I had my coworkers smelling me shortly after. It is fresh and powdery at the same time. I can't wait to pick up one of my own.

on 1/20/2011 6:52:00 AM

I received a small decant of this from a friend who thought she would manage to convert me into florals with this one - hmm, nope thanks. This is a pleasant floral with equal parts of jasmine and honeysuckle on my skin. Both are clean and innocent but I can't see its charm as a perfume. And the scent itself is so big - in terms of presence- that despite its simplicity it smells too frilly to my nose. I get very conscious of myself each time I wear it, as if I were wearing a crown made of flowers on my head. Surprisingly good sillage and lasting power.

on 12/12/2009 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nice jasmine, but there's something murky in this. It makes me think of slimy stems under dark water.

on 5/7/2009 1:53:00 PM

If you have read the book "Perfumes: The Guide," you may have noticed that La Haie Fleurie du Hameau is dubbed a "jasmine soliflore" by the authors. Allow me to nip this in the bud. La Haie is not a soliflore. It is a jubilant, stunningly beautiful bouquet in which jasmine dominates but hyacinth and honeysuckle also play significant roles. I have read that it was inspired by the Petit Hameau, one of Marie Antoinette's bucolic retreats at Versailles, where she could get away from courtly etiquette and play the role of a (ridiculously idealized) shepherdess. Unlike many other L'Artisans, La Haie is neither transparent nor fleeting. It has a rich, dry, oakmossy base that lingers for hours. La Haie Fleurie is an often-overlooked gem.

on 3/20/2009 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is quite pretty, but too much for me. It is all jasmine and honeysuckle, and if I were a floral girl I would probably love this. There is very light on the indolic notes, and seems to have a fairly good lasting power.

on 1/22/2008 6:02:00 PM

I love L'Artisan in general, and the first few minutes of La Haie Fleurie instantly transported me to all the gardens my mother has ever planted. So much nostalgia and beauty!! It smelled great the whole time I was in the store, so I bought a bottle. Sadly, by the time I got home an hour later, all the pretty jasmine and honeysuckle blossoms had withered and fallen off the vines. The oakmoss played some nasty tricks on my skin and gave a faint impression of the fallen blossoms decomposing and the family cat having relieved herself under the bushes a few feet away. I sprized some more and then the whole composition that I had initially loved so much just gave me a headache. I tried it for many days after that but kept getting the same bad reaction. This isn't the category of scent that typically works for me, so I'm not surprised, just very disappointed because I thought this was one of the few white florals that could possibly work with my chemistry.
If you typically love bright floral scents, this one is definitely worth a try! But please learn from my impulsive mistake: Request a sample that you can wear around for a few days rather than making the decision based on one spritz.

on 10/26/2007 5:33:00 PM

I know it sounds stange but this is really strong,something that i wish with all my heart for several others from L'Artisans catalogue.Unfortunately this one is too high pitched for personal use,but that desn't make it a less intriguing and mystyerious floral perfume. It's honeyed and smooth,waxy and a bit tropical with a fantastic hyacinth note.Still i seem to get a stron allergic reaction from it so unfortunatelly i can't own it.

on 9/13/2007 2:29:00 PM

I got a sample of this to try, I am blown away by the trueness to hyacinth which I had understood to be unextractable from the flower. It even has that hink of skank that the flower has. a treasure in springtime, heady and heavy and perfect for a rainy grey day anticipating hot summer.

Popular Fragrances