October 26, 2014 | 964 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Gipsy

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Jaimee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my go to everyday work lipstick. It is a soft red on me and is perfectly appropriate for a conservative environment. The texture is smooth and somewhat sheer. It lasts about 3 hours on me before it needs to be reapplied. A really great color I hope they never discontinue!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by darkharbour

Outstanding basic red that does not jump off your lips and into the faces of those looking at you. This red is earthy and muted, somewhat brick-like, and even though it pulls warm, a mid-tone NW can pull it off. ( I am NW 20/25) This is a red that can be worn to the office and on weekends. I would say that this color is more a propos for fall and winter, but don't let that stop you. As with many NARS lipsticks, there is an art to wearing them so as to avoid dryness. These are highly, highly pigmented, and much stain is left behind. So, it is important to have your lips moisturized (but NOT greasy!) when you apply it. Very long lasting. Soft luster, no shimmer, no gloss. Somewhat sheer. No scent/flavor.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by screenstarr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is almost the perfect lipstick. Certainly the color is ideal: It is neither red nor pink but right in-between, so it can be worn with almost everything. Because it's sheer, the consistency is great, because if you want a more opaque texture, just add a second coat. The only negative, for me, is that is doesn't contain SPF. However, I can always add a colorless SPF on top. For me, this is my go-to lipstick. Thank you, Nars! Please don't discontinue Gipsy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 2:46:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Outstanding dark-hued sheer but rich colour that has a great texture and excellent longevity.
On a dark, (even, old) girl like me it is a really flattering sensual subtle shade that I love so much I am saving in case I run out.
One of these days i will review something form Nars that is no good, but not today!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2012 5:24:00 AM More reviews by twocentsworth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Good colour, good consistency, feels great on the lips. Perfect for work in my opinion as it has colour but isn't too over the top.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 2:08:00 PM More reviews by windkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Until I found NARS, I had terrible trouble with red lipsticks. I wanted to wear them, I really did, but I'm both pale and yellowish (with unfortunate yellow teeth I inherited from my dad) and most "red" lipsticks make me look like a zombie clown, turning either hot pink or orange on my face.

I also have problems with skin sensitivity and reactions, which ended my relationship with the couple of MAC reds I could more or less wear (none of which were as good a colour on me as any of my NARS shades).

NARS, though, your brownish formulations are my dream come true. I now have a little collection, and Gipsy is my go-to daytime red. On me? Sheer, flattering, lasting, and subtle (for a red), and makes my teeth look -- well, not white, but slightly less yellow. And no peeling lips or mouth rashes. A win. I'm almost through my first tube, and will certainly buy another.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by missanthropic84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the look of reds on other people, but they always scare me--too strong or high maintenance. No longer. Gipsy provides the right amount of color payoff without requiring a liner and although it is buildable color, I don't think one can over do it. It's a great daytime red. If you're scared of reds and can wear warm tones, try it!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by waffle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am on a red lipstick quest. I'm a cool-toned PPP (~NW20), with dark brown hair and eyes. My lips are fairly pigmented dark pink and tend to turn lippies fuchsia. My perfect red lipstick is the exact color of Gipsy -- it's a light red with brown undertones. I know that the rule of thumb is that cool-toned people should stick with blue-toned red lippies, and warm-toned folks should stick with yellow-toned red lippies. BUT I've found that when I use blue-toned red lipsticks, it turns fuchsia on my lips. And yellow-toned red lippies turn orange on me... And then I came across the solution -- brown undertones! It cuts the fuchsia and the orange to create a perfect neutral light red. This is exactly Gipsy.

Of course, there's a catch (besides the price) -- it's so sheer (which I love) that it fades within an hour, very notably within two hours (which I hate). And it's really drying. I'm hesitant to use lip balm while using it because it would make the staying power even worse... so... I don't know what to do. I'm trying to find a dupe for this color because dang, it is nice. But so far, there is nothing that is even close to Gipsy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by SirenRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, once again, I have found an ideal red. I've already fallen in love with Fire Down Below and Shanghai Express, but those are semi-matte and a little bold. I wanted something a little more satiny, a little more sheer, a little more creamy. I'd heard of Gipsy for years but always assumed it was just another berry shade. How wrong I was. Gipsy is definitely a red. Yes, it's a berry red. But it's the kind of berry red that makes me think of ripe, juicy fruits in summer. It's a soft, warm red with a hint of pink and a tiny dash of brown. It's perfect for carrying in my purse when I want to quickly swipe my lips with color. And, like all NARS lipsticks, it contains acai berry oil, hyaluronic acid, and various botanical extracts and fruit oils. It's worth every penny, and one tube really does last a long, long time.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Julia941

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was surprised to see this described as warm berry on the Sephora website. I find it to be more of an orange/red that is somewhat glossy and sheer with one coat but can be built up for a deeper, more opaque colour that isn't matte. I was in the store to try Dolce Vita but it didn't do much for me. When I tried Gipsy next my face lit up despite the fact that I had no other makeup on - none. The SA said it really brought out and complimented and my pale green eyes and I received a couple more compliments as I wandered around the store with it on. My skin is quite fair with yellow undertones and my hair is currently a neutral medium/dark brown. It reminds me a lot of my beloved Chanel Rouge Coco in Talisman which is darker and rather matte. It also reminds me of Viva Glam Cyndi but a bit deeper and less pink. Really very nice.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No