October 25, 2014 | 917 users online

Hair - Japanese Hair Straightening/ Thermal Reconditoning

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 2:16:00 AM More reviews by sophiechi

I had the Japanese thermal straightening done in May 2013 and over 5 months have passed...my hair still looks great! Before, my hair was unruly, frizzy, damaged, broom-like, and poofy from over washing it, curling irons, and flat irons. I paid $240 to get it done which took about 3 hours total. It really has been a life changing experience since. When your hair looks nice and straight and when you dress up everything looks nice as well. My hair was so ugly before and embarrassing. Now, I can just shampoo my hair and blow dry in 5 minutes and it is straight and healthy looking. I stopped using heat styling tools all together. As someone, has mentioned before the JTS is a lot less damaging then straightening your hair everyday. Just make sure you get your hair trimmed as it can damage the ends. Highly recommended!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by nobelprizeforshopping

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for the Yuko Anti-frizz treatment. I got talked into this and out of the full Yuko straightening by my hairdresser because he said it would give me a better result and it was a lot cheaper (£90 against £300). However this was £90 wasted. While my coarse, frizzy, kinky hair looked great straight after the treatment, after the first wash it just went back to normal. It possibly feels very slightly softer but it looks exactly the same with frizz and curls everywhere. The effect is supposed to last 3 months. I got 3 days out of it. The worst thing though is that this treatment has changed how my hair smells to the point where I'm scared to get within smelling distance of anyone. When it's wet, or just slightly damp from humidity in the air it smells strongly of a combination of burnt hair and vomit - really really foul. I cannot recommend this treatment to anyone.

As a matter of interest the hairdresser says that full Yuko straightening also smells terrible.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by lfrancisco624

I love the Japanese thermal reconditioning treatment! My hair is coarse, frizzy and very damaged due to heat styling since that is the only way I can wear my hair down (using a curling iron or flat iron). I have tried the Keratin treatment and that only lasted about 1 month before it washed out. I think the reason why it didn't last long was because I washed my hair frequently (everyday or every other day). Now that I know not to wash my hair, I have bought dry shampoo and am only washing every three days.

So far my hair is silky smooth and I am able to just run out the door and air dry my strands. I will be doing this treatment for the rest of my life. Styling time has decreased, my hair is super shiny and bone straight! If you are on the fence about doing this treatment, stop thinking and run to the salon, you will not regret it.

I recommend going to an Asian salon since those are reasonably priced compared to American ones. I did my research and found that most Asian salons charge between $150-300.

Overall, I had a great experience and can wear my hair down everyday with no heat styling!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Yvette616

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Been doing Yuko for 6 years. Just did my 5th treatment this weekend. (I haven't washed my hair yet). If you treat your hair well there should be no problem at all. It has made my hair look and feel healthier than it ever was. My hair used to look like a got electrocuted. Thin, frizzy and crunchy all over. I coudln't step out into the South Florida heat for 3 minutes before the hair halo appeared.It has been life changing! I know it's just a hair thing, but really. Much less time blow drying. Before it used to frizz 100%, now it's about 5% if at that on a humid day.
If you go to a trained professional (they have a list of salons on the Yuko website) your hair will look better than it ever has. Shiny and straight. If you just wash and go you will have a bit of waves, but still smooth. A large flat brush and 10 minutes of blowdrying is all it takes to keep is straight. Just upkeep with either the Yuko products or better yet, organic or sulfate free shampoos and some quality styling products and you are goooood. Also, do not scrubb hard with a towel after washing. Even if you haven't done this straightening - it's very damaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 3:10:00 AM More reviews by ybfl

Great results again. Second time having the Japanese Hair Straightening/Thermal Reconditioning (JHS) done on my hair. Did it previously about two years ago at the same hair salon in Tokyo, Japan.

Why go to Japan to get this done? Well since we were going to Japan anyways, it's the best and cheapest place to have this procedure done! At least half the price! And my regular stylist told me!

My regular salon is Kozo Salon in Costa Mesa, CA and is a owned/run by a Japanese gentleman and all the stylists there are Japanese, trained in Japan and they are all very skilled and talented. My regular stylist told me that JHS done in Japan is so much cheaper because all the Japan salons do that procedure whereas its not as common here, so they charge more here.

My older teen daughter has had the JHS done a couple of times on her long hair by my US stylist with fabulous (shiny, silky, smooth) results, but it cost almost $300 which included shampoo, straightening process, styling & tip and took abour 4-5 hours. Actually, $300 isn't a bad price because I checked around and some salons wanted $500-800+. Other salons quoted less, but I couldn't confirm how skilled or trained they were in this procedure and you definitely want a stylist who has been thoroughly trained unless you want your hair to break and fall off!

Anyways after converting the poor exchange rate for the US dollar to the Japanese yen, the cost for the Tokyo, Japan salon charge was $150 which included wash, cut, straightening, styling. Took about 2.5 hours total and told not to get it wet for 1-2 days. Slight language barrier as they don't speak much English. However, they use a lot of English words like cut, straight perm, shampoo, so it's pretty easy to let them know what you want. They have a printed "menu" of their services and will point out and say what it is and you can see the cost, so there are no surprises at what you'll pay total in the end. Also, no tipping in Japan!

The salon is a large well known chain called Ash Hair Make and the location I went to was in a town named Musashi Sakai, just west of the main Tokyo/Shinjuku area and close to the train station. They do have a website if you want to google it.

They are also pretty careful and analyze your hair thoroughly and check to see that it can handle the JHS and will ask when you had the last chemical or color treatment.

If you've never experienced the Japanese hair salons, the service level is a great experience! My daughter also had the JHS done by Ash salon the previous time with great results for half the price of our US stylist.

In many larger salons in Japan, they charge different rates for various stylists ranging from Director, Top Stylist, Stylist. This time I had a Top Stylist assigned, so maybe if if was a Stylist, the price might be slightly less. Or if it was a small shop with less stylists or just an owner, the price could possibly be around $125.

I tried googling to check out other posts for more touristy Tokyo area (Harajuku) salons that spoke English, but their pricing was much higher, close to $200+ for the straightening alone, so YMMV. I think the smaller shops (and there are a ton of hair salons all over Japan, probably several on each block!) in the smaller towns are priced more competetively for the JHS or have specials like Ash salon did. Most will have their prices posted in their shop windows or on board in front of their shops, so you can see what they charge. I was seeing about $125 for a lot of small shops for cut and JHS, so not too bad.

We were also in Thailand and the local shops advertised JHS there for probably $75-100, but I am a bit leery as I didn't see a lot of postings and feedback and didn't know their skill levels. I've heard that Singapore and China are also possible places to get it done for less than US, but again YMMV on the skill and experience of the stylist!

So, if you happen to go to Japan it might be worth checking out and trying the Japan salon service but do your research first!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Abbixx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I've gotten this straightening treatment about five times now (once a year) and it's done wonders in keeping my hair frizz-free and manageable. For me, the first straightening session took about six hours, but the appointments have gotten shorter every year, mainly due to the chemical damage my hair's been through which makes it easier for the chemicals to penetrate my hair and do its job. While I do have to say it makes the hair a lot straighter and easier tame, it IS in fact very damaging and may require special care depending on who you are. I personally just shampoo my hair and leave in my regular condition for about five minutes before rising it off, and that seems to work fine for me. If you color or do anything else with your hair, you'll probably have to do a lot more to maintain your hair's health.

I normally get the Japanese hair straightening done in China or in Flushing, so it comes out to be roughly $150 which is really inexpensive for this treatment. Other salons probably charge a LOT more, but they might also have better products. Nothing really negative has happened to my hair and my health yet, though, so I'm going to say the straightening products my stylist uses isn't too bad, but I would still recommend others to try a legitimate salon if they would want to get their hair done for the first time.

Also, I let my hair take a break once in a while from the straightening (every three years). Even though I do love the result of my hair, it's still never the best to get it straightened too often as there are harsh chemicals being used.

Overall, great experience with this process!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 6:52:00 PM More reviews by dietcokecan

permanent, doesn't have irritating fumes, low-maintenance, and less expensive than people think.

Japanese Straightening can be a life-changing for those of us seeking to better manage our unruly hair. This is a very long, thorough review aimed at those seriously considering JHS/TR.

INTRO
I've had JHS 13 times over 7 years, at 3 salons, using 4 different formulas and experienced the range of outcomes from traumatic to spectacular. I want to share my experiences--good and bad--to better explain the benefits of JHS.

When applied correctly by a competent, knowledgeable, and patient stylist, JHS did an incredible job transforming my extremely thick, coarse hair from unruly and time-consuming to smooth and easy-to style. JHS is permanent and irreversible. It is effective on hair resistant to BKT or Rusk Anticurl.

THE GOOD
In 2005, I found an incredible salon that specializes in JHS. When I come in every 6 months for a root touch-up, the stylists review notes from my past visits re: formulas used, and then examine my hair to check for any damage and changes in the curl pattern. These two steps are essential because they allow the stylist to determine which strength products to use, and how long to keep in order to maximize effectiveness while minimizing damage. After this JHS, my hair is truly "wash and wear." After showering, hair air dries completely straight and shiny -- no product or heat necessary. My hair is much softer after JHS, and is much silker compared to flat ironed natural hair. JHS hair is stick straight, but it still able to hold a style--it can be curled with iron/rollers or even when dried in braids.

THE TRUTH ABOUT DAMAGE
Let's be completely honest: JHS will damage your hair. But the amount of damage is highly dependent on the stylist's skills and products used. As I mentioned earlier, I have a JHS horror story. I visited a stylist who was, at the time, highly-regarded as a TR expert and was active on a popular JHS message board. After he JHSd and dried my hair, I noticed chunk of my bangs felt strange to the touch--like it stood completely vertical for an eighth of an inch before lying down flat like my other hair. By the next day, that chunk broke off at the eighth of an inch away from my scalp. It was 100% the result of a stylist error. My ends were damaged due to JHS being left on too long.

At my incredible salon, JHS leaves my hair in much better condition--I think it's much more damaging to flat iron your hair every week for 6 months than it is to JHS. With JHS, I've been able to grow my hair to hip length. Of course, there is still some breakage from the chemicals. Despite being a PITA to manage, naturally coarse wavy/kinky hair like mine is actually extremely fragile and even when left natural, needs to be handled gently to avoid breakage. Even before JHS, my hair was dry and had many split ends. After JHS, my hair feels softer but still has many split ends.

THE RULES
After getting JHS, you aren't supposed to put your hair up or use barrettes for a couple days; since that's unrealistic for me, I gently put my hair in a ponytail or bun. I've never had any negative effects from doing it. Also, you can't wet your hair for a couple days. I take this rule seriously and if my hair gets dampened from rain, I touch it up with a flat iron.

Hair lifted with bleach/dye or colored with Henna will affect the outcome of JHS. A competent stylist can identify if hair treated with these products is still suitable for JHS, and which formulas it can interact with.

PREVENTING DAMAGE
There are a number of ways I minimize potential damage. Most importantly, when getting my roots touched up, my stylist only applies straightener to the regrowth and avoid getting any on the ends. At home, I have to resist the temptation to apply damaging heat (flat iron, curling iron, hot dryer) to the bottom of my hair. Instead, to get my ends smooth, I'll blow dry on low using a round brush or roll my ends on a large flexi-rod or magnetic roller before air drying/blow drying on low.

Stick to gentle hair accessories to reduce breakage. Hair elastics (even those allegedly no-snag ones) pull out hair. A less damaging alternative is using hair ties made from cut up stocking/tights, or scrunchies.

A tangle-teezer is better for JHS hair than brushes or combs. I use them to massage in shampoo at my scalp, also to spread deep-conditioner. Brushing wet hair will break it.

I'm not a complete stickler about this, but I really recommend avoiding washing your hair harsh shampoos and also also avoiding products with silicones (ex. anti-frizz serum, heat protector spray) because in order to remove build-up, you'll have to use sulfate shampoos that will strip the hair and leave it dry and more susceptible to damage. If/when you need to use a traditional shampoo (for an oily scalp, dandruff, whatever), first, apply deep conditioner to the middle an ends of your hair to protect them, then apply the shampoo to your scalp only.

I frequently apply moisturizers, oils, and protein treatments if necessary.

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS
The great thing about JHS is that you don't need specialized expensive products to manage your hair. My incredible salon does not pressure me to buy products. Even though JHS hair is straight, I still recommend products for curly hair.

Shampoo: suave coconut conditioner, v05 kiwi lime, curl junkie
Deep Conditioner: Biolage Conditioning Balm or the GVP generic mixed with argon oil, shea butter, or coconut oil
Protein Treatment: aphogee protein treatment or george michael 12 minute conditioner
Leave-In: argon oil, shea butter/coconut oil mix, Phytodefrisant

OUTRO
A year ago, I decided to experiment with growing out my hair without JHS to see how it would like naturally. Transitioning to natural hair is frustrating, but I don't regret the JHS. I still highly recommend JHS and may decide to start gettin

30 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by missmills

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had this done on my wavy blonde hair which is very fine and also very thick! The back has always been a nightmare for me to straighten and keep straight, even with GHDs. I had this done, the process took a few hours, it was pricey but I was lucky to have a discount.

That was around three months ago and the results were amazing - with deep conditioning treatments once a week and Argan hair oil on the ends every day that I wash my hair (alt days usually), the back is dead straight still and the top layers are straight but when I go out at night or whatever, I will use my GHDs to just smooth over the top layers before going out.

I plan to get it done again when my hair grows longer, LOVE it!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2010 12:01:00 PM More reviews by laura819

I got this done a few years ago, when i was living in Japan. It cost me, I think $120?? At a Salon in Yokohama. I was reallllly lucky because my host mom went to that salon and somehow got me a discount..I think it was half price. BUT I also did the most expensive version (there were different versions listed on a board, and I don't know the difference...I think the kind I did was called Kyosei (in Japanese). I tried looking it up online, but I don't see anything with that price now, sorry! Anyway. I got the strongest one (I think) because they were really scared it wasn't going to work on a Westerner's hair, especially since mine was THICK and curly, and highlighted. **WARNING**: You are NOT supposed to do two processes like this at once....I know that, and I just didn't care. Thankfully, it worked out fine for me, as it did for my roommate later.

I had actually planned on doing this later, but my hair and humidity do NOT get along, so after I think two days, I begged my host mom to help me find a place to get this done because I couldn't stand my hair.

So, I went into the salon, and they tried to explain what they were going to do but I was still super jetlagged and they couldn't speak English at all...and my mind doesn't work in Japanese when I am so jetlagged. So we didnt really talk haha. It took I think 4 hours, but that was with some kind of conditioning treatment first, that they talked me into doing because my hair was in bad condition, then the straightening process, and then just a trim as well.

So, I told you what my hair was like before - thick, curly, frizzy, and in the humidity, unmanageable. I walked out of there with like, Asian baby hair lol. I say this as a good thing. My host mom had a daughter who was 4, and before I did this, you couldn't say our hair was similar texture or anything like that. When I got done, if you touched her hair, and then mine, you wouldn't have known who's hair you touched. IT WAS AMAZING!!! I did still have to blow dry it if I wanted the same result, but they told me I probably would have to. But, my blow drying time was cut down drastically. And I also didn't use any products in my hair. And every single day, it was perfect. It was amazing for someone who has struggled with her hair all of her life!!!!!!

I SO badly want to do this again, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay US prices. Its ridiculous. So for now I am settling on atleast having a Japanese lady cut my hair, because it has gotten it kinda similar with how much hair she thinned out. So, next time I go back to Japan, I am getting off the plane and into a train to Yokohama to do it again. As other people have said...any Asian hair salon is going to know how to do this, and its going to be CHEAP (the cheapest one at the salon I went to is now like $90). I just really liked the one I went to, and the service I got there. Not everyone would put up with a jettlagged non-talking American!

I DID noticed however, like maybe 6 months, maybe almost 7, after having it done, the ends of my hair were AWFUL (I had cut it once since getting my hair straightened...the cut was in Japan as well). But I didn't have hair breaking off or anything, and it was nothing a trim couldn't fix!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2010 3:59:00 AM More reviews by hippihanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Damage damage damage. If you want to deal with damaged brittle, snapping off hair then go ahead.
Please make sure you do you homework about this before because if you've had highlights or lightened your hair previously or plan to do so after it will affect your hair. Im only warning you because hair can only stand so many chemical treatments before finnaly breaking off.
I had thick strong hair that was very ressilent, I thought it could stand anything because Ive had highlights and extreme colour changes before without damaging my hair. The day i had this done to my hair it looked absolutely fabulous, silky, shiney and straight.. I didnt even feel bad for the clumps of hair that were coming off the comb when this was being done becuase my hair looked so fabulous. did I mention my hairdresser recommended that I needed to cut about 3 cm off after? I didnt need it before as I had just had a trim the week before but of course she did her buisness because damage to the ends was obvious. Still I didnt mind after because my hair looked so good, But the next too weeks another 2.5 cm, and after 1 colouring session, snap snap, my hair was breaking left right and centre and I had to get 3 cm cut again. yes because my hair was so dried out and continued to dry out despite all the treatments I was giving to it.
It cost me so much on protein treatments and home care products just to stop the breakage.
Its been 7 months now since having it done and thanks to the brazilian keratin treatment and kerastase hair products my hair is beginning to look normal again. except for my hairline where its very evident that theres been breakage, the hair is so short in the front that even cutting a fringe would make it look like some stupid hairstyle so I hide it with a hair band everyday until they grow and I can cut a fringe that will look flattering.
Ill never do this agian, its just not neccessary. I actaully miss the waves that I had in my hair but im slowly trimming all the treated hair off.
At least with the brazilian keratin treatment, it washes off and you can regain the beautiful natural fullness to you hair.
I give it 2 lippies.. 1 because it is far better than regular relaxer which ive also tried, with that I had to cut my hair short to roots right there and then. And lippie 2 because it does what it is supposed to.. make hair pin straight.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No