Essence Longlasting Lipstick (All)

4.3

on 6/27/2015 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I don't go for drugstore lipsticks, not even Maybelline or Revlon (unless you count their lip crayons), so I surprised myself when I actually picked this up. I'll come clean- I only picked Barely There up because I could not find a shade that matched my Essence Longlasting Lipliner in Plum Cake, not even at a Mac counter (this one didn't match either). This was the lipstick that taught me that swatches can be deceiving- in a good way.

Whether with intent to purchase or not, I find myself habitually swatching lipsticks in the drugstore. I've always been put off by the sheerness of Essence lipsticks, as well as the slight shimmer in them. When I opened mine, I was delighted to find that the colour was solid, no fancy and unnecessary gleam in them. I swatched it on the back of my hand, and for one dispiriting moment, I found myself regretting my purchase. Imagine my relief when I swept it across my lips and discovered a rather intense, pinkish mauve! On top of that, it smelled of raspberries.

I don't think this lipstick is meant to stay, as much as its name suggests. You'll have to reapply it after a meal, like most lipsticks. I wouldn't say it is luxuriously creamy, but hey, it's five dollars a pop and does the job! It is definitely not on par with Mac, and it is certainly not trying to be. The plastic packaging is a sleek matte black and is very light. I'd definitely drop a couple more in my basket the next time I'm at Watsons.

on 6/24/2015 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Well for the price this is an amazing lipstick, the lasting power isn't too long, but the colors are gorgeous and they dont dry out your lips witch a lot of cheap lipsticks may do so Yes for these lipsticks

I love these lipsticks - I have nude love and coral calling (which I got after listening to my favorite youtuber, considercologne, talk about it for a over a year). I really like the colors I have and the price can't be beat. They could last a little longer, but I really like the consistency. Coral calling has a different scent than nude love, but neither are overly perfumey.

Why is everyone loving these so much? Am I doing something wrong?

I only own one shade, because after a few drugstore disasterous buys I'm being more careful and trying not to buy a ton of everything just because it's cheap. Thank God I had my self-control with me on the day I bought this lipstick.

I own the Nude Love shade which is a very lovely colour. It makes my lips look huge. In fact, I like the colour so much that even though I know the formula sucks, I just keep giving it another chance.
But I shall not do that anymore. First of all, it comes off so easily. I put it on, everything looks good, I smack my lips and boom. It is strangely smudged and totally uneven. I blot it in with my fingers, all of the colour is on my hands, not my lips. So, I powder over my lips and it works! The lipstick stays in place! Or does it?
The next thing that happens is that it gets into the lines. Like, so much... I mean you can't really see it when I have my resting face on but when I smile or talk or move, basically, you can clearly see lines of colour running down my lower lip.
Then my lips start getting soooo dry. Like soooooooo dry. Which obviously exaggerates my lines. Which results in more lipstick getting into them. No matter how moisturised and exfoliated my lips are, they will get very dry.
Then, to finish it off, my lips start to get flaky. and all of the pigment concentrates on the inner part of my lips. But my lips are flaky at this stage, which means very very pink flakes in the inner part of my lips and slightly less pink flakes on the edge.
And all of this happens in the course of two or three hours, so no, not very longlasting, no.

on 6/9/2015 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

These just might be the best lipstick found at the drugstore price. Pigmented, creamy, and moisturizing! They have a nice range of flattering shades and although the packaging is light, the lid clicks on which leads no risk of coming open in my purse. A lot of cheap lippies have faulty packaging that makes them a dealbreaker but that is not the case with these. Pick one up at Ulta (under $3) and you won't be disappointed!

on 6/3/2015 3:28:00 PM

I have the shade Barely There, it's such a nice color, last a long time, it's my perfect nude. It has a satin finish and for 2 I feel like they are better than MAC or other more expensive brands. I'll be purchasing more for sure

on 6/3/2015 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I have it Dare to Wear,a very nice pigmented color.
It lasted considerably long even in the heat but it does dry the lips a little,nothing to major.
I will be buying more in this line

on 6/3/2015 4:59:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I own three shades of the Longlasting Lipsticks: Barely There and Natural Beauty (both nude-ish pinks) and Wear Berries (a mid-toned pinkish berry). I am amazed that Essence can manufacture, import, and sell decent-quality lipsticks for under $3 a pop. Plus they often have several shades on sale or clearance for 50% off.

While all the shades I own are very pretty and easy to apply/wear, they really aren't super long-lasting on me. I'd say they stick around for 2-3 hours, which is pretty average for a drugstore lipstick. I also expected them to be completely matte and very opaque (more like the Wet n' Wild Megalast lipsticks) but these have some amount of sheerness to them, and more of a satin finish. So you will probably have to apply more than one swipe, and reapply a couple of times throughout the day.

Overall, I think these are pretty impressive. They come a wide range of gorgeous shades, and I love being able to throw one or two of these in my purse without having to worry about being out $20+ if I lose one. My only major complaint is that I really don't like the way they smell. All the ones I've tried have a slightly "off" smell, like the scent a lipstick gets after it's been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years. It's not overpowering, though, and I think it could easily be masked if Essence added a bit of vanilla or peppermint fragrance to these lippies... but again, for $3, I really can't complain too much. :)

on 5/21/2015 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have the colors Coral Calling and Natural Beauty and I'm enjoy the colors and the finish. It is matte and can dry out the lips but I have come up with a way to make it work.
I find that applying a light layer of lip balm then blott off the excess with a tissue paper, apply the lip stick and then seal with lip balm again. The color is more vibrant, lasts longer and doesn't look flakey.
When I used the lipstick alone, it looked dry and flakey. But given the price, the nice packing it is quite nice and I would like to purchase more shades :)

on 5/16/2015 8:44:00 AM

I have this in three shades: natural beauty, love me, and coral calling. My favourite one is natural beauty. Coral calling simply did not look good on me and I don't prefer the way love me looks either (though I get many compliments when I wear it) However, natural beauty is one of my favourite lipsticks. It is such an easy shade to wear on an every-day basis. I think the packaging of these lipsticks are quite sleek (especially for the price). I will most likely be buying more shades in the future.

Popular Lipsticks