March 2, 2015 | 1045 users online

Hair - Redken - Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2015 4:06:00 PM More reviews by beckycarlson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is very versatile as it can be used as a leave-in, mixed with your deep conditioner, or as a pre-shampoo treatment. It's a lovely oil with no silicones, which can be difficult to find nowadays as almost all hair oils on the market have silicone in them. The silicone is what gives your hair the smooth shiny look, and the silicone gives hair the super silky slip factor. But the thing about silicone is it build up greatly, and dries out your hair a TON. It creates a coating around the hair shaft, preventing any moisturizing or hydrating ingredients from penetrating the hair. Then as your hair gradually gets drier, you find yourself using more and more of the product in attempt to combat the dryness. This is marketing, my friends. It works amazing at first, giving you snooth, shiny, silky hair. Then the silicone builds up, and you keep using more and more of their product. People say their hair gets "used to" products, this is false. It's that they are using products with silicone. This oil will not make your hair extremely shiny and silky overnight. This oil actually penetrates the hair to make it healthier, not just give the illusion that hair is heathy. It repairs and protects the hair, and with continued use over time, it can really improve the health of hair. People have left reviews saying it is not to be used as a leave-in. I use this as a leave-in every time I wash my hair. The trick is to use very little, and just in the ends. Those who are used to using tons of moroccanoil in their hair will get a serious shock when they use the same amount of this, hair will feel greasy and gross lol. This makes hair super soft, you only need a little through the ends and lengths of hair. A dime size for my long hair is what I use. Moroccanoil is nice and all, but do not use it every time you wash your hair or at least not long-term. I made this mistake, you must give your hair a break from the silicones. Moroccanoil is full of them. It makes your hair shiny, smooth, and smell great. But it does not make your hair heathy. This diamond oil is amazing and a total godsend to those trying to grow their hair or increase the overall health of their hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2015 7:43:00 AM More reviews by Shelly128p

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My fine hair did not like this product (or the original in the orange/amber colored bottle)
No matter how little I put in, dry or wet, it made my hair greasy, not shiny, and feel dirty.
it wasn't shiny at all. it made my hair look and feel wet. kinda like wet straw, if that makes sense.
Since I'd definitely never walk out in public with this on my head I'm using it as a treatment before I take a shower and when I sleep just to use it up, but even that way I hate it.
horrible product. smells awful.

I like Wella's oil and Martix's oil much better!
In fact, I love hair oils. I think they're amazing, just not this redken one. so many other great oils!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2015 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Lana1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Review for the regular version in the amber colored bottle.
Great product. The oil really moisturizes and adds shine to my dry-ish but unprocessed hair. I notice a reduction of frizz and dryness and a sparkle to my hair. Lovely!
I don't dislike the strong scent, but I do find it pretty intrusive and it clashes with my perfumes, so I usually apply 4 drops to my mid back-length hair before going to bed, avoiding the roots, and then I braid my hair. The next morning my hair is shiny and soft (and without scent!) and the waves induced by the braiding are lovely and defined. The evening before the day I wash my hair (every 3 days), I apply 6 drops as a pre shampoo "treatment" (not really, just a bit of extra care) and then after washing and conditioning, when the hair is still damp, I apply 3 drops.
Doing this, my hair never looks oily and on wash day, the oiled part of my hair will still look super conditioned and if it weren't for my oily roots, I'd be reluctant to wash.
The packaging, hmmmm. I really like the dropper concept, but seriously Redken, oil in a glass bottle, called Shatterproof? That's very brave...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by Cbarnes81

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have thick, curly hair and this works soooo well! I've tried both Morrocanoil (which I had been loyal to for years) and Macadamia Oil, but Redken's Diamond Oil is far better. You need to learn how to use the right amount for your needs though, but this you learn with practice. So don't be disappointed the first time you get it wrong, just add a bit more or less next time. For me it works so well as a finishing touch when styling, as it leaves a nice shine, plus I love the smell too. I love the smell of Moroccanoil, but I know that not everybody does, so I get quite self-conscious around people when I have Moroccanoil on my hair, but Redken's Diamond Oil has a more likeable smell to it, and not overpowering.
Apart from finishing, it can also be applied on damp hair after washing, or before shampooing. You can make it work for you in many different ways. It's a wonder product, which I honestly did not expect of Redken cause I never got lucky with the brand until now.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2014 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Blueblue517

I love this product! I recently bought as a change from my usual oil and don't think I will be going back. I have fine hair and a lot of it and find it doesn't weigh my hair down at all! I really like the look of the bottle and the dropper. It was a little expensive but I guess any good hair product is!

Seriously a great product!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Boroshok

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As for my taste, this oil is to greasy, you can't use it as leave-in oil, so I use it overnight and in the morning I wash my hair. My favourite oil is HASK which I review in my video together with other oils:

But coming back to Redken oil:

PROS:
- very nourishing
- great packaging (doesn't allow light inside)
CONS:
- expensive
- not leave-in
- smell is so so

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2014 3:05:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a pleasant scent and it comes in a nice glass bottle with a dropper. It leaves my hair feeling very soft and shiny, but does little for some of the pesky flyaways at the nape of my neck and top of my head. I apply a little bit more, like four or five drops, to my hair. I do rub a little between my hands to warm it up before applying. My hair does feel hydrated and I like that you can use this as a pre-shampoo treatment or add this to your regular conditioners or deep conditioning treatments. The only con is the price. I bought mine at a local beauty supply store for $44. I have the one for medium textured hair. I have been really liking it and glad it doesn't weigh down my hair or make it feel greasy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I used the Intense version of this product as it is suited to my hair type (medium to coarse mechanically/chemically distressed). And I really wanted to love it but I just couldn't get it to work for me. It seemed to leave my hair greasy and limp even when I used the teensiest amount. This product is very concentrated and a little goes a long way, but that's what makes it not-so-user-friendly. I wish that Redken made a Diamond Oil styling cream or a leave-in spray or something along those lines, because I bet it would be amazing.
Wouldn't buy this again- wasn't for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Nadyaali24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found this product to be pretty oily on my hair. I have fine hair and even though I used three drops of this oil it made my hair quite oily that I have washed it out numerous times. I tend to now use it an an intensive oil treatment where I rub plenty into my scalp and hair and then wash out the next day. I find this makes my hair silky and soft once washed out the next day.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by SummerDay89

I was recommended this at the salon, but mind you that I do not have the thickest hair. This made my hair soooooo staticky!!! I can't explain what happened, but I would put it in and dry it/straighten and it was like putting a turtleneck on in the winter. I'd put more on and it would still be staticky, but I'd look greasy. The smell was too overpowering as well.