August 28, 2014 | 1039 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Anti-Aging Lactic Acid Cleanser & Mask

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2013 3:46:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an interesting product--a cleanser that has a fairly high percentage of lactic acid (it's 5th on the ingredient list). You can use it as a regular cleanser, and leave it on as an exfoliating mask (Philosophy recommends 3-5 minutes, once a week, for the latter). It comes in a pump bottle, which is nice because this is some slimy, sticky stuff. (It won't even come out of the pump cleanly.) It feels kind of--well, icky--when applied to the skin. I only use it once a day with my Clarisonic because it doesn't rinse off if I wash just using my hands (I've tried using a linen washcloth in an attempt to get it all off, to no avail), and even after using the Clarisonic and rinsing *thoroughly* I still feel a bit of residue on my skin. (Needless to say, you don't want to get this in or near your eyes.) I do leave it on for about 5 minutes once weekly as a mask, and I can feel a bit of a tingle at the end of that time. I use the Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash the next morning (with my Clarisonic) and my skin feels quite smooth. I also think it's lightening my hyperpigmentation *just* a bit, but not enough to put up with the icky-sticky cons of this cleanser. It certainly doesn't live up to the exaggerated claims Philosophy makes about it. And it's pricey--$34 for 8 oz. I'll just stick with Purity Made Simple, which works well for me.

BTW, the full name of this product is "The Miracle Worker Miraculous Anti-Aging Lactic Acid Cleanser and Mask." How does Philosophy get away with calling products miraculous?

Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Sodium PCA, Lactic Acid, Petrolatum, Glyceryl Stearate, Bisabolol, Arginine, Stearyl Alcohol, Evodia Rutaecarpa Fruit Extract, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Steareth-21, Steareth-2, 1,2 Hexanediol, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Farnesol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, BHT, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol.