October 21, 2014 | 1362 users online

Self Tanners - Tanwise Dark Tanning Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2014 2:09:00 PM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had a hard time trying to get this tanner to work. At first it came out very splotchy and completely unnatural and orange on my light skin. It made me look dirty. I would HIGHLY suggest using some sort of self-tanning application mitt with this lotion. Do not use your bare hands!!! They will stain horribly within a few minutes. Trust me I learned the hard way, but got it all off with some hard scrubbing and dish soap. Plus the results will be less than desirable and show obvious signs of fake tanners!

So, I tried using some latex gloves to apply this after I figured out that this stuff starts "staining" your skin after a few short minutes. The gloves were OK at blending this in, but after a couple minutes the lotion started drying up and "beading" on my skin...kind of like when glue starts drying and it becomes dry and flaky when you rub on it. The result with latex gloves was pretty heavy since none of the tanner soaked into the gloves and completely splotchy...still orange.

Then I decided to try a tanning mitt. I didn't actually buy a mitt, but used an old thick sock over my latex glove. It will soak into the sock, so some type of waterproof barrier between the sock and your hand is crucial. The application was perfect and effortless! I squirted the lotion out on the glove and worked up my leg from the ankle in big circular motions avoiding my knees and feet. Whatever I had left on the glove I glazed over my knees, top of my foot and rough areas on my ankle. No more patches or streaks! The results the next morning were not as deep as using only latex gloves, but were still noticeably darker. I did the same with my arms and back. I haven't been more happy with this lotion!! After using the DIY sock mitt, the color came out much more smooth and somehow not orange! It doesn't have any type of glow to it so if you're looking to be bronzed you'll have to add some kind of bronzing lotion or product. It has lasted me about 4 days before reapplication.

I also noticed after spending 2-3 hours in a pool, the color had significantly faded. This is probably due to all the chemicals, so if you're going to be in the pool a lot, I'd make sure to give extra attention to maintenance with this lotion.

I paid $11 with tax for this bottle (I think it is 8oz.). I have applied it over my whole body (Im 5'9) 3 times and still have at least half of it left. That is a pretty good price for the amount and quality you get. This will probably be my go-to tanner since I decided to quit fake baking in the beds a year ago.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My new obsession! I have the one hour tan lotion and it really works! No more waiting for 4 hours for your tan to show up! So cool. The price is good...around 10 dollars. You tanner lovers must try it. You buy it at Sally's.

Happy Makeuping! ❤️

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by HeySamJo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Okay, so this is for the spray (as I cannot find a forum for it.)I have probably tried every self-tanner out there, and all have their downfalls; takes too long to dry, turns orange, splotchy, no color indicator, etc.... Never have I found a tanner quite like this one!

I was at Sally's the other day, and I I saw this stuff on the shelf, so I decided to give it a try. I used the tester on a small spot on my leg. I was really excited to see an indicator! I love sprays as opposed to lotions/mousses, but I can never find one with an indicator! Check number one in my book!

I let it sit for a while, and "oh-no"....It started to turn orange :( Too good to be true I thought to myself. However, a couple hours later, I checked the spot again only to find a nicely bronzed spot on my leg! Okay, not I really have to try it! I went back and bought a whole bottle for $12. That night, I tried it on one of my legs (comparison, you know?) It dried in a matter of minutes! Of course at first my whole leg was slightly orange, however the next day my one leg is a bronzed beauty! I used lotion on my feet and knees before application, and I don't have the tell-tale "over-tanned" ankles and toes! You DO HAVE TO RUB THIS IN! Some aerosols you don't, but you MUST rub this one in! It's not a fine enough spray not to. There was a slight smell, but NOTHING compared to the drugstore tanners out there! Give it over-night, shower and you'll be just fine!

So day two, and I think it's even gotten DARKER! If you are fair skinned, ONE application a week is probably pah-lenty! I'm not sure how it fades (it's only day 3 for me), but I'm sure if you follow the typical rules for self tanners (moisturize, exfoliate, etc.) you'll be just fine. I will buy this from here on out! Yay tanwise!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 4:57:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After reading all the rave reviews for the now-discontinued Tanwise Sunless Mousse, I decided I would try the lotion. (I do see a new Bronzing Mousse on the Sally's website so I think it may have been reformulated? It wasn't at my store so I wasn't able to try it.) I've been on a sunless tannning kick and have used a different one each week for a little over a month now. So far I've tried Bare Escentuals Faux Tan, Million Dollar Tan lotions and spray, Fake Bake Flawless, and now this. For reference, I'm naturally very fair (NC10-15/NARS Gobi) with golden undertones. Out of those, the product this one reminds me most of is the BE Faux Tan, so I will be comparing it to that one. I've read that this lotion is a dupe for SUN Labs Ultra Dark; in fact, one youtube guru said that she compared ingredients and the only difference between the two was that the SUN contained aloe and the Tanwise doesn't. So keep that in mind. I've tried SUN Labs but it was years ago and can't remember enough about it to compare the two.

I paid around $11 after tax for an 8 oz bottle of this at Sally Beauty Supply. (BE Faux Tan cost about $24 after tax and was only 4 oz.) This sunless tanner has the somewhat typical cherry/almond scent. BE Faux Tan smells the same and I remember that SUN Labs does, too. It's a pleasant scent for sure. I used gloved hands and it applied fairly easily and quickly. After I had done my entire body, I went over my legs and stomach a second time. My lower legs and stomach always have such a hard time taking the color. Once I was finished, I put my pajamas on about 10 minutes after and it seemed to be okay. I will say that this never really seemed to completely dry, as it had more of a moisturizing, oily/lotion type of feel to it. But it did dry a bit more than the Faux Tan in that regard. That one stayed tacky for quite a while.

When I woke up the next morning I could definitely smell the DHA. It wasn't as strong as Faux Tan, but it wasn't much better. Really my only complaint about this product is that even after showering, I could still smell the DHA. It was fairly faint, but still there nonetheless. I don't mind smelling bad while I'm sleeping (of course) but I sure don't want to smell like it the whole next day after showering. I should note though that I used a fragrance free bodywash that morning in the shower. Maybe using a scented one would help get rid of the smell more, which I will try next time. As for actual color results, I was pretty surprised at how dark it made me! This was definitely the darkest sunless tanner I've used so far, though that may not be fair to say because I only applied one layer with Faux Tan. The color it gives me is a rich golden brown with a hint of olive, and somehow a little bit of peach in there too. Faux Tan gave me more of a bronzey, slightly olive golden color. Both are very nice but I do like to get a little bit of peach/pink/reddish in there because I naturally tan sooo golden that it sometimes looks orange! I only left the tanner on for about 7 hours when I used it because I had to get up so early the next morning. I noticed that I definitely got darker throughout the day compared to when I first washed it off. I really love the color on my legs. It looks SO natural and deep, and that's always been the hardest for me to achieve. Unfortunately my stomach still didn't take much color but I can always apply more generously there next time, and that's more of an issue with my skin; not the product. An added bonus with this product is that it didn't make me itch anywhere, AT ALL. I have somewhat sensitive skin and the only other sunless tanner I've used that didn't make me itch was the Million Dollar Tan Tan Icon Extreme Spray. So that made me very happy.

UPDATE: I have worn this tan for 8 days now, and while I do need to reapply, it's faded wonderfully and I still have a good amount of color. My left lower leg has a tiny bit of that scaly-looking fading going on, but I did apply to fairly generous layers with one application, so that's pretty much to be expected. And it's not even that bad; I'm wearing shorts today and don't feel self-conscious about it. I have one new sunless tanner to test out tonight (Fake Bake 60 Minute Tan), but I have a feeling this one is the one I'll be going back to!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by AnnaAshton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

the best product ever !!! totally recommend.