Tanwise Dark Tanning Lotion

4.8

love this stuff! cherry almond scent! works wonders. definitely apply with a tanning mitt. great value.

on 7/1/2015 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is by far my HG lotion - a bottle is $10-ish at Sally's and lasts me at least a few months (just doing chest and arms) The guide color is the perfect brown with the right amount of green and red undertones. Just a little bit of lotion gives a good amount of color. I will say the bottles I purchased in 2013 had the perfect color, with the ones I've purchased in 2014 leave my skin looking more red/pink/burned than what I remember. Maybe it's just a weird bottle but this will never stop me from repurchasing this!

on 5/13/2015 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ok I bought the tanwise one hour tanning lotion, after trying some high end brands that are not that good, now the best way to use this is to get a kitchen sponge (a new one) wet it and wring it out, put the tanner on it and rub into your skin works great, you have to work fast cause this dries pretty fast......I got a little streaking cause I was farting around looking in the
mirror at the color....the color is pretty dark but not to dark, its like the color I would get at the beach, the next day I took a shower and it got a tad lighter....
all in all this is good stuff for the price, and a little goes a long way.....also I had no orange with this and there was no smell....

on 4/23/2015 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, I was a devoted self tanner user of Banana Boat Summer Color in deep, but after trying this last night, I am so thrilled with the color results of this product! It's fabulous!

Application: It's super dark, which I happen to love because I like to see where I am applying and make sure I do not miss any spots. It does dry pretty quickly, so you really do want to wear gloves and rub it in fast. It looks streaky due to drying quickly, but don't be alarmed. As long as you have all areas covered, when you wash the color guide off, you will not have streaks. It smells great for hours, but I still smell the self tanner smell once washing off for first day. I don't really care though as you can use scented body lotion and no one will notice.

Evenness: It's even and surprisingly my feet look decent too. The real test however will be outside. I find most self tanners tend to look weird on feet outside, unless you have some super crazy self tanning skills that I don't know about. Then feel free to send them my way!

All in all, I love this product and it dries well and think anyone who wants a dark self tanner would like this product once they got used to applying it well. It's similar to Sun Labs apparently.

on 2/13/2015 12:23:00 PM

Hands down this is my HG self tanner!

As a freckly, skin-so-white-it's-kinda-greenish-blue redhead, I consider myself a self tanning expert (along with an expert on all other beauty products that help keep the ginger at bay). Over the years, I've got countless custom mixed airbrush spray tans, and tried every lotion, mousse and cream you can buy in a store or online. I finally settled for Sun Labs--I say settled because even though I adore the formula, it costs an arm, a leg and the blood of your firstborn--not a great financial move.

I was in Sally's the other say and picked this up on a whim, because it was cheap and I couldn't resist. It is AMAZING.

This stuff isn't as good as sun labs--it's BETTER. I should pause here to say that I am a pro at self tanning and I've got the prep down cold for best results, even using crummy lotions:
1) take a long bath (no soap of bombs in the water) and exfoliate with the Baiden Mitten (if you haven't discovered this incredible device yet run to amazon and buy one. It will change your exfoliating game forever. My name's Molly Elizabeth if you're looking for baby names)
2) use a water based lotion on your feet, heels, ankles, knees (and back of knees), elbows (and back of elbows, which is actually the front...elbow pits?), hands and wrists. Then put on latex gloves.
3) work in QUICK but firm circles rubbing the lotion in. It does dry fast, but I think sun labs dries out and "balls up" way faster than this stuff does. Use sparingly everywhere you pre-lotioned. I even used this on my face by mixing 50/50 with face lotion.
4) take off the gloves. Put another layer of normal lotion on your hands and wrists, using it to blend the color. Then put a pea sized drop of tanner on the back of you r hand and blend the backs of your hands and fingers.

Anyway that's my secret formula for success. Back to the lotion. It smells exactly like sun labs, but as mentioned the tanwise seems a little more water based, so it goes on easier and dries less sticky. The best part? Even though I am VERY sensitive to it, I smelled NO DHA--not even the next morning! I was shocked cause lemme just tell you y'all, this girl was BROWN. the color is gorgeous, smooth, and so natural!

In a nutshell: get this stuff. In fact, buy it in bulk.

on 12/26/2014 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

TanWise one hour self-tanning lotion. Plastic or rubber gloves are essential to apply this product, but worse-case scenario, you could use one of those white eraser sponges to remove concentrated tint from palms of hands after application. That aside, I love this gel-like lotion, it gives you an immediate tint so you can visualize your application for even coverage. It dries so fast that you will need to rub on and smooth out quickly for the perfectly even & bronze-looking
natural tan appearance. It's reasonably priced at approximately 8 or 9 dollars for an 8 oz. bottle and just a little bit goes a long way, for example, 4 quarter-sized amounts covered all of my 5' 3",125 # self..

on 11/21/2014 12:37:00 AM

This is by far the best self tan that I've tried. Using a self tan mitt with this lotion is a must. The results are amazing! I get streak-free colour with each use and the colour is very natural. The product goes a long way. I will continue to repurchase!

on 6/27/2014 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had a hard time getting this tanner to work. It came out very splotchy, completely unnatural and orange on my light skin. It made me look dirty. I would HIGHLY suggest using an application mitt. Bare hands stained horribly the first few minutes. Plus the results will be less than desirable and show obvious signs of fake tanners!

I used latex gloves and were OK at blending this in, but after a couple minutes the lotion started drying up and "flaking" on my skin...kind of like when glue starts drying and it becomes dry and flaky when you rub on it. The result with latex gloves was pretty heavy since none of the tanner soaked into the gloves and somewhat splotchy...still orange.

I didn't actually buy a mitt, but used an old thick sock over my latex glove. It will soak into the sock, so some type of waterproof barrier between the sock and your hand is crucial. The application was perfect and effortless! I squirted the lotion out on the glove and worked up my leg from the ankle in big circular motions avoiding my knees and feet. Whatever I had left on the glove I glazed over my knees, top of my foot and rough areas on my ankle. No more patches or streaks! The results the next morning were not as deep as using only latex gloves, but were still noticeably darker. I did the same with my arms and back. It doesn't have any type of glow to it so if you're looking to be bronzed you'll have to add some kind of bronzing lotion or product. It has lasted me about 4 days before reapplication.

I also noticed after spending 2-3 hours in a pool, the color had faded. If you're going to be in the pool a lot, I'd make sure to give extra attention to maintenance with this lotion.

I paid $11 with tax for this bottle (I think it is 8oz.). I have applied it over my whole body (I'm 5'9) 3 times and still have at least half of it left. That is a pretty good price for the amount and quality you get.

on 5/6/2014 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

My new obsession! I have the one hour tan lotion and it really works! No more waiting for 4 hours for your tan to show up! So cool. The price is good...around 10 dollars. You tanner lovers must try it. You buy it at Sally's.

Happy Makeuping! ❤️

on 8/16/2013 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Okay, so this is for the spray (as I cannot find a forum for it.)I have probably tried every self-tanner out there, and all have their downfalls; takes too long to dry, turns orange, splotchy, no color indicator, etc.... Never have I found a tanner quite like this one!

I was at Sally's the other day, and I I saw this stuff on the shelf, so I decided to give it a try. I used the tester on a small spot on my leg. I was really excited to see an indicator! I love sprays as opposed to lotions/mousses, but I can never find one with an indicator! Check number one in my book!

I let it sit for a while, and "oh-no"....It started to turn orange :( Too good to be true I thought to myself. However, a couple hours later, I checked the spot again only to find a nicely bronzed spot on my leg! Okay, not I really have to try it! I went back and bought a whole bottle for $12. That night, I tried it on one of my legs (comparison, you know?) It dried in a matter of minutes! Of course at first my whole leg was slightly orange, however the next day my one leg is a bronzed beauty! I used lotion on my feet and knees before application, and I don't have the tell-tale "over-tanned" ankles and toes! You DO HAVE TO RUB THIS IN! Some aerosols you don't, but you MUST rub this one in! It's not a fine enough spray not to. There was a slight smell, but NOTHING compared to the drugstore tanners out there! Give it over-night, shower and you'll be just fine!

So day two, and I think it's even gotten DARKER! If you are fair skinned, ONE application a week is probably pah-lenty! I'm not sure how it fades (it's only day 3 for me), but I'm sure if you follow the typical rules for self tanners (moisturize, exfoliate, etc.) you'll be just fine. I will buy this from here on out! Yay tanwise!