July 25, 2014 | 1154 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte Perle - Coral Sun #102

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by surrealreality

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

102 Coral Sun is a permanent shade in YSL's Rouge Volupte Perle line. The retail price is $34.

About Me: Fair with warm yellow undertones (about an NC18 right now, only quite a bit more yellow toned). Very pigmented rosy red lips. Hazel eyes that look blue in daylight. Natural brunette currently dyed aubergine purple with a lot of deep red and copper highlights.

Color: In the tube and swatched on my hand, this is a light, very warm coral... almost a toned down tangerine. It's somewhere between sheer and opaque... possibly leaning towards sheer but still adds a decent amount of color. I have tried, but this is not a lipstick you can layer to get more opaque color (it's too slick). On my lips, it appears slightly pinker than in the tube due to my natural lip color showing through. It also has a very pretty golden sheen that isn't really noticeable 'til it's applied on lips. This is such an amazing color for me.

Finish: Plenty of orange and gold shimmer. In the tube, the shimmer is subtle. Swatched on hand and applied on lips, it becomes a little more noticeable (surprising since it's usually the other way around for me). It doesn't look intensely frosted like a lot of MAC's frost finish lipsticks.... it just looks pearly as the product name implies. I'm normally not a fan of lipsticks with significant shimmer because I find they emphasize lines, but this lipstick doesn't do that.

Texture: A bit slicker that a lot of lipsticks so it glides on easily. Feels moisturizing at first, but after about two hours it begins to feel drying. As such, it feels comfortable on for about two hours, but after that I feel the desire to wash it off and re-apply. I don't believe it actually is drying though since my lips don't seam chapped or flaky after a day of wear.... it just FEELS like it is.

Wear Length: About 3 1/2 hours (which is my average for mid to high-end lipsticks in general), but as I mentioned... it feels drying and uncomfortable after 2.

Scent: This usually isn't something I mention 'cause it's not something that bothers me or impresses me, but.... I LOVE this scent. It's like candied tropical fruit. It's not strong though (I can't smell it at all once it's applied). I often use perfume as a mood booster.... would it look weird if I just whipped this tube out of my purse and started sniffing it in public whenever I needed an uplift? Probably.

Packaging: I love the case. I know some say it's a little much, but I would call it decadent.

Bottom Line: I am IN LOVE with the way this lipstick looks on my lips. However, it begins to feel drying and uncomfortable after a few hours of wear. If I could, I probably would have given it a 3.5. I expect more from a $34 lipstick, so I will not repurchase.