April 17, 2014 | 1845 users online

Fragrance - Chanel - Antaeus For Men

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Kellergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Someone gifted this to my husband few weeks ago. Ugh. WAYYYYY too strong. I literally had a headache a few minutes after he put it on. Not a big Chanel fan, but this really stinks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by melivore

This is one of my favourite scents for men. I think its because i have memories of my dad wearing it when he went out on a weekend all dressed up. Every time I see it in a department store, I have to spray it, just to be able to smell it. And by god can you smell it, but saying that, its not overly strong, it just lingers on the skin all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2009 6:01:00 PM More reviews by elaborate

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

People says that lavender makes women smells like men, I guess it does. Antaeus has lavender and it sure does show. I think wish it had a bit less lavender in it because then I will be able to wear it!! OK, I still wear it, but only in the comfort of my home. So, on to the fragrance, according to Chanel's website says it has citrusy notes, lavender, clary sage, patchouli, sandalwood, rockrose (labdanum), leather, and spices.

It starts with a citrusy smell - citrusy but impossible to pinpoint which fruit it is, if it's anything it's a bit like tonic water (the one for making G&T). This last just a moment and then it moves to a sandalwood/rosy phrase, it's really a sandalwood with a rose tint there is actually no real rose there. The whole bundle of spices: clary sage, patchouli, lavender are all there if you sniff close enough. The leather appears as a tar birch note here (I am guessing here, leather is still new to me) but it is unmistakably leather.

If it weren't so masculine I think it would be up the street of many perfume fans as patchouli and leather are two of the hottest notes right now given what I've read. Iris and Vetiver are popular too but I'm digressing... Anyway, to round up, go on ladies give it a spritze when you next go pass Chanel (just one it's strong)!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Nixe

Oh, how gorgeous! I want Antaeus so very badly! I wear it every time I go by the men's section of the only department store I know that still carries it.

Antaeus begins as a very dry, slightly bitter, green mossy fragrance that smells remarkably like the intoxicating Spanish moss that hangs off the branches of huge old twisted oaks in Marin county. It then develops into a *glorious* deep, warm, and dry tobacco kissed with myrrh. This is the fragrance that lingers, warm and glowing mahogany red, for days. I sprayed a blotter strip with Antaeus, and it was two weeks before the fragrance faded. It's dangerous and hypnotizing, and lures you into a calm trance before you realize you've been enslaved. It can slip, incognito, into the most conservative of situations, but it will leave a curiously strong impression. This is subtle, but very, very potent.

As soon as I can afford to buy it, I'll be spraying my closets with Antaeus. And as soon as I meet the brooding, Southern European, darkly romantic man who wears this, I'll throw all my principals (and clothes) to the wind and marry the beast.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2008 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Miamore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ahhhh...Antaeus...the scent that makes me swoon and makes my heart ache. The first time I smelled it was when I met the man I fell in love with and should have married (and still love passionately to this day). I remember calling one of my girlfriends after being introduced to him and describing him, and emphasizing how incredibly delicious he smelled. It was heady, intoxicating, sexy but blended with his natural body chemistry perfectly-- when we were together I would close my eyes and just breathe his wonderful scent. How I loved having it rub off on my own clothes and skin so I could smell him on me when we were apart...I tried spraying it on me alone but it wasn't the same-- melding with his skin made it even more glorious.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2005 1:35:00 AM More reviews by cstg

I've been thinking of a clean, crisp fragrance for my BF. Thought of this because my dad used to wear it a long time ago. It is a really sexy fragrance for men. However, not quite sure it's right for my BF since he's British educated and not exactly the same personality as my dad, who had a sex appeal - smart - and suave. Not that BF isn't some of those things, it's just it's not the same. Anyhow, this is a wonderful fragrance for men, recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2004 5:43:00 PM More reviews by Alicina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My boyfriend wears this and he is literally the first person who has ever stumped me with his fragrance. I think that you definitely have to have the body chemistry to pull this one off--he's of Italian descent, with dark hair and eyes, and tan skin--it could easily overwhelm someone with the wrong chemistry. However, on him it dries down to a soft, powdery but manly scent that's very confident and extremely appealing. This is now by far my favorite men's fragrance out there; from time to time I'll spray some on and it does something entirely different on me. A real Chanel masterpiece; it's complex, passionate and refined. Just like my man! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2004 6:00:00 AM More reviews by LaFif

OK-I'm a Chanel-aholic for fragrance. However, my DH wears this-the only fragrance he wears that I can't stand. I'm not quite sure why, but it turns my stomach. So surprising for me, since I love all things Chanel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2002 1:11:00 AM More reviews by harperhilton

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

anteaus was what i wore exclusively many a moon ago for years...before i discovered that there are MANY fragrances and that i can wear several different ones each day. i still have a bottle, mainly for nostalgic purposes. maybe i should break it out and wear it again: leather and pencil shavings, wood and patchouli, spices and amber...used to love that stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2002 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Mayra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Created by Chanel in 1981, Antaeus is the perfect and unique blend of herbal, floral and spice in a man's fragrance. Like its namesake, its viril, powerful yet vulnerable. Composed of top notewes of Coriander, Clary Sage Lime and Lemon with heart Jasmine, Rose, Basil and Thyme rounded up in an eveloping cloud of Oakmoss, Labdanum and my nemesis:patchouli! Only here it does not bother me. Its just there to create a little racket but not to take over his fellow notes. So 80's but in a good way! A scent in the same family as Tzar was back then. Strong, heady and absolutely masculine! I was a fan and advocate of this fragrance in the mid eighties and purchased it more than once for my then SO. He loved it and so did I. Especially enjoyed the fact that he was the only person I knew who wore it so it was very unique and for sure it became his signature scent. (At the time we met he was wearing Grey Flannel... him and every other man in the world seemed to wear Grey Flannel LOL!)ANTAEUS was a breath of fresh wood. VERY heady but absolutely different and magnetic. A man that wear this makes an impact and it should be worn with caution..its quite sexy. A little goes a long way. Fantastic lasting power. Not for weak or wimpy men. For sure you won't be bumping into a lot of men out there on the street wearing this one. Its Chanel's little secret. For a while it was quite hard to find. I think Nordstrom carries it but its easy to find on the web. continued >>

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No