December 21, 2014 | 886 users online

Cleansers - Superdrug - Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by monam94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After hearing so much about hot cloth cleansers like the Liz Earle cleanser, I wanted to try a drugstore brand. I had high expectations as all I've read is mainly positive reviews.

However after every use I broke out. I thought maybe it was just my skin acting up but I left gaps and used other cleansers and my skin was fine except when I used this.

It does leave your skin soft and clean. the cloth it comes with is too thin I would buy a seperate Muslin cloth.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by allthingsnice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVED this cleanser, it feels like a mini spa treatment. I was sceptical about whether or not it would remove my mascara and eye make up but it dissolved everything easily. It smells lovely as well, and left my skin feeling really pampered. The only down side is that it can leave your skin feeling a bit oily if you have quite oily skin to begin with. Would be great for dry skin though! Great value compared to the Liz Earl hot cloth cleanser, so if you want to try a more luxurious cleansing regime I would definitely recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2013 3:23:00 AM More reviews by Nosage

I sit on the fence with hot cloth cleansers. Not sure if they encourage broken veins (the hot/cold water combo). However I was running out of my expensive Decleor cleanser/toner and saw that the Superdrug cleanser had won an award in a Sunday newspaper. I have tried the famous Liz E version but it made my skin react. Might be the eucalyptus oil. This version felt very calming and nourishing, great for normal to dry skin but will be too much for oilier skin. Very good value. The muslin cloth is cheapish but I buy white face flannels and use those instead and find they give a bit more of an exfoliation. (Bought 3 white flannels in Wilkinsons yesterday for 16pence each. Perfect for the job.) I tend to chop and change products but I think I will be using this in the winter months. This cost £4.99. It was not on offer so must have reduced in price from the £5.99 quoted in previous review. This range is often on offer so perhaps wait until then. The little face oil from this range is also great. Not to mention the body scrub which I have used forever. BTW great review by Zoomusicgrll below, do read, it is very informative.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Skyflyer67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been on a mission to find a cheaper alternative to Liz Earle cleanse and polish as I'm on a tighter budget. I have incredibly sensitive skin thanks to Clinique turn around cream damaging it so have to be careful what I use. I absolutely love this range - 2 weeks in and my skin is glowing and soft. The consistency is lovely, it smells nice and removes every last trace of make up - even Mally mascara. No break outs and my skin has actually improved! I've bought a few just in case it's discontinued! Packaging cheap and nasty looking but the product is amazing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

Superdrug's Vitamin E range has never caught my eye. At a glance, it appears so bland and cheap and uninspiring.
But lately I've been on a mission to find hot cloth cleansers to rival my Liz Earle and Elemis versions but at high-street prices. I still enjoy my Cleanse and Polish, and like my Pro-Radiance cleanser even more, but what I've noticed is a striking similarity in the main ingredients between these products and their lower priced counterparts.

For comparison purposes, I tend to focus on the first five ingredients listed, as these are present in the highest quantities (so pretty much determine the efficacy of the product.)
The first five ingredients in Superdrug's Vitamin E cleanser are: AQUA, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, THEOBROMA CACAO SEED BUTTER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN.
The first five ingredients in Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish are:
AQUA, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, THEOBROMA CACAO SEED BUTTER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, CETYL ESTERS.
Not a huge difference!!! The drawback, when you move to the bottom of the ingredients list of the Superdrug cleanser, is that it contains a bunch of parabens. Likewise, some people might object to the inclusion of (potentially irritating) eucalyptus oil in the Liz Earle version. So, swings and roundabouts maybe.
(NB The first five ingredients of the Elemis version are:
AQUA, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, SHEA BUTTER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN. Again, strikingly similar to the Superdrug version!!)

TEXTURE/CONSISTENCY AND SMELL
Superdrug's Vitamin E cleanser has a thick creamy texture, more akin to the Elemis version. I certainly find it spreads more readily than the LE version, which I find quite stiff. I'm enjoying the cocoa butter smell, which makes a nice change from the LE eucalyptus, and is certainly preferable in my opinion to the clove smell of Eve Lom's cult version! I think I like the smell of Boots No 7 hot cloth cleanser most of all, but of course smell is so subjective.
Superdrug's cleanser comes supplied with a muslin cloth. While it won't win the battle of the thread count, I find it a reasonable size, comfortably abrasive, and effective at swiping away the product. I have probably a lifetime's supply of LE muslins anyway (which are denser and softer), so it's of little note to me.

PACKAGING
My least favourite cleanser packaging is the jar type, which I find a bit of a faff. I like that the Elemis, Liz Earle and No 7 versions are in pumps. (No 7 probably has the best design, as you can see the product running out.) Tubes are fine, too. I've found Soap and Glory's Fab Pore cleanser easy to use and to transport, and likewise, Superdrug's Vitamin E version is in a tube. It's easy to administer the desired amount, with no mess or hygiene issues. It's also cost effective because a squeezy tube means you can get out every last bit.

EFFECTIVENESS
I have combination skin. My cheeks are normal, but my T zone is prone to oiliness. However, I trialled a hot cloth cleanser from Marks and Spencer's Pure range recently and it seemed to have made my skin drier than normal, with some flaking in the cheek area. The first couple of days of using the Superdrug version did nothing to improve my skin: it remained dry and taut. That was when I went makeup free, so the product was only being used as a cleanser applied directly to bare skin. I wondered whether the inclusion of denatured alcohol (fifteenth listed ingredient) was keeping my skin dry. However, I found that the cleanser seems to work better when I used it to actually remove makeup. My skin feels softer and smoother, with dry patches reduced. (This of course could just be a case of my skin recovering of its own accord after stopping using the Pure cleanser.) I like to double cleanse, the first time to remove makeup, the second as a treatment. I enjoy doing this with my pricier cleansers, too, but the Superdrug version retails at 5.99 for 200ml (when at full price), so it doesn't feel too extravagant! I've experienced no breakouts when I've double cleansed like this, despite not using toner afterwards. My skin has felt particularly supple when I've double cleansed in the evening and followed it with some Omorovicza night cream. (The creamy cocoa butter of the cleanser just seems to work in harmony with the buttery texture and marzipan smell of the moisturiser. I find, incidentally, that a tiny amount of the night cream gives better results on my combo skin than a thicker layer.)

VERDICT
This cleanser is aimed at normal and dry skin types, but using a double cleanse method works well to keep my combination skin happy. I'm not keen on the inclusion of parabens or denatured alcohol, but I love that the main ingredients are comparable with those of pricier versions. I also love that it is so readily available in the UK, and that it is an affordable option. So far, it's probably my second favourite high-street hot cloth cleanser (Soap and Glory's version remains my favourite.) I'll continue to use my LE and Elemis (partly because I've stockpiled!), but will certainly enjoy mixing it up with these cheaper versions.

FULL INGREDIENTS: AQUA, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, THEOBROMA CACAO SEED BUTTER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN STEARATE, CETYL ALCOHOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SWEET ALMOND OIL, PARFUM, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, VITAMIN E, PANTHENOL, ALCOHOL DENAT., PEG-35 CASTOR OIL, POLYSORBATE 20, HORSE CHESTNUT SEED EXTRACT, VITAMIN A, INOSITOL, VITAMIN B5, VITAMIN F, VITAMIN H, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, CITRIC ACID.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No