November 26, 2014 | 1896 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Preference Mega Reds Hair Colour

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by BluePlateSpecial

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been dying my hair red (the natural colour found on real red heads) for 10 years now. I started out with L'Oreal Excellence Creme 7R but I think a few years ago they changed the formula, it wasn't as red as before, and so I bounced around from brand to brand trying to find something like the old 7R formula.
I picked up the Mega Reds in MR1 - Intense Red Copper. I was scared because I've only bought boxes and this seemed much more complicated. The ladies at Sally were very helpful and reassuring, however.
Well, this is better than the old 7R. I use the 20 Volume creme developer (I was warned about hot roots by the ladies at Sally if I chose to go with 30) I am not trained in the art of hair colour but red washes out in 6 weeks so getting it done in the salon is totally prohibitive.
The colour is vibrant yet natural. It washes out fast - like every other red I've ever had (the fastest to wash out ever? Aveda salon colour that cost me $200!) but the last vestiges of it have a bit more staying power - I don't end up looking like a brassy blonde, I still end up with a bit more strawberry.
I'm quite happy with it - the only thing that would make me happier would be a red that doesn't fade!