NYX Gel Liner & Smudger

3.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased NYX Gel Liner and Smudger in the Scarlette shade (deep brown) at Ulta because I had tried every other drugstore gel liner in brown and none were a deep enough shade for my liking. This little pot came in a box and had a plastic and Styrofoam seal under the lid. Once I opened it, I applied it with the brush from my L'Oreal gel eyeliner and it went on perfectly smooth, not dry or crumbly. This liner did not skip, and the shade is perfect for me to wear with black mascara. The best part of this eyeliner is that it does not fade all day and stays as vibrant and pigmented as it did when I applied it. Most gel liners fade from my lids by the end of the workday and this liner has not yet faded. I have to scrub it off my eyelids with makeup remover when I take off my makeup because it refuses to budge (which is a good thing, in my opinion!) I am sad that I waited so long to try this product because I love most everything else NYX has put out and I had this product in my hand several times at Ulta but just kept putting it back on the shelf. This has become my holy grail gel eyeliner!
Definitely planning to repurchase, and to purchase multiple colors!

on 3/7/2015 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have no complaints about this liner! At least the black one. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the same quality of MACs Fluidline gel liner for half the price! Maybe even better as the NYX gel liner is "smudgable" and thus slightly less mistake proof (mistakes are easy to fix). Great gel liner for the price!

on 10/13/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Purchased this mostly to see how it would compare to Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. Definitely did not go into it expecting it would perform as well, but it did not completely suck either. I purchased the cobalt blue NYX and the color is very nice and really shows up in a perfect cobalt hue, unlike some of my Bobbi Brown gels which sometimes appear nearly black in certain lighting. Even opening a brand new jar of the NYX Gel, the product itself seemed a little dry as I worked my brush in the jar. It does not apply quite as smoothly as the Bobbi Brown, and I can tell it will probably dry up long before the higher end gel liners. But NYX does recommend storing it upside down, which I will try to see if the initial dryness was caused by it being kept right side up on the display at the drug store. The NYX color lasted a long time and it did not smudge or transfer once it had time to set. Even though it's less than half the price of the Bobbi Brown, I don't think I would purchase again as I feel like this will dry out in the jar much faster than the HE stuff.

on 9/14/2014 11:42:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really, really regret buying this.

The good: it's easy to put on. The black one, at least, is true to the color.

The bad: within 2 hours, this smudges horribly on me. I won't touch my eyes, but still get ridiculous fallout. I shouldn't feel embarrassed that my makeup literally falls off my eyes within 2 hours of wear to the point that I look like a raccoon.

I guess the big issue is that because it's sold as both a "liner & smudger" that expecting it to function WELL as a liner is asking a bit much.

I adore NYX. Many of their products are a fantastic deal when you weigh their quality vs. their price. This is not one of those products :(

on 8/26/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This eyeliner is very dark, and very creamy. It was very easy to work with. It definitely gave me that cleopatra look.

on 8/10/2014 3:41:00 AM

Ugh. Awful. Probably one of the worst gel liners I have ever tried. I love Mac's blacktrack, but have tried others I found suitable as well. This was a runny mess. I hated the packaging too, difficult to deal with. Spend the extra few dollars and get the Mac one!

on 6/30/2014 1:39:00 PM

I have had this gel liner for about a month now. I bought this at Ulta because it was cheap for a gel liner and I wanted to try a gel liner. I'm Asian and have a flat monolid. This product stays fairly well on my eyes, but in the Florida humidity it will melt off your face! When I'm mostly indoors it's not an issue but was a bit embarrassing when my husband noticed my raccoon eyes the other day. I experimented with using this on my brows and I honestly like the maybelline eye studio pencil liner better and I definitely notice more melting on my brows rather than eyes. I will finish the pot, but I'll be trying a different product like Tarte next time. I'm glad I bought this as a starter though. The packaging is great. I loved how the product was sealed with a plastic cover to prevent it from drying out in the shelf. I don't think I can return to liquid or pencil after seeing how gel liner looks.

on 6/16/2014 12:43:00 PM

I have never used a gel eyeliner before and heard good things about them so I decided to try one. I spent hours researching the best ones to get, I only use cruelty free products so obvious ones like MAC was out of the question and I didn't wanna pay over $20 for an eyeliner. Here in Australia make up is way too expensive, then I heard about how NYX is making a good rep for themselves and are cruelty free, even though they are considered a drugstore brand. They aren't available in stores over here, so I had to buy one online for around $16. The product glides on so smoothly even without using an eyelid primer, its very pigmented and lasts for hours. The only annoying thing about it, is that it is impossible to wash off! I had to use my make up wipes followed by coconut oil to get it off, but all in all a great gel eyeliner for beginners that is good quality and cheap.

on 5/25/2014 6:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

So, as a liner and shadow, I actually like this for a smokey eye (less dense than my infinite collection of other gel liners both extremely high end and drugstore brands). I have Charlotte Brown (a lighter or medium brown) and I quite like the color on my golden/yellow toned tan skin (Bobbi Brown Golden Natural/Golden Honey mix).

However, I actually found a better use for it. I recently gave my mother the rest of of my Tarte Brow Mousse in Medium Brown because I actually always used Taupe more except on my tips where my hair is more sparse and because after a revisit, I am again obssessed with the perfecion of my Shu Uemura Hard Pencil in Walnut Brown and my Shu Brow Manicure in Honey Glaze (these two along with a tiny line or two of Shu Hard Pencil in Seal Brown on my sparse ends gives me a PERFECT brow)...

BUT, in a pinch, I tried this in Charlotte with thinner brown brush (MAC/Trish McEvoy), and because it is a drier liner and does not budge once on, it makes a beautiful, natural brow filler (when done with a light hand - made easier by the dryness of this product) and looks ALMOST as natural as the aforementioned combo (please note I already have eyebrows - I'm just deepening them while also lightening them with Brow Manicure and extending them slightly - I am not sure I would recommened this to someone with a bald brow...)

This also looks gorgeous all around the eye (see "Captivating Charlotte on the box or website). Because it is drier, it is more subtle and a more neutral brown than my many other gels. I was going to return it because it is rather dry for a gel but once I usd it to smudge an extreme, but subtle smokey eye and turn out a fabulous brow, I decided to keep it...

Try it!

on 11/30/2013 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Well, after reading the reviews here on this product...i thought i would give it a try. Got Betty black and Charlotte brown.

It seems that nyx heard the pleas that it was drying out too quickly, because the black and brown were in completely different packaging, the brown in a smaller glass jar, the black in the more familiar glass "brick" of a container that wastes all the space in your make up bag.

The black actually had a cellophane seal ( over the top after opening the lid), the brown did not have this...and is already so dry I'm going to return it. It's so dry its separating from the sides of the jar! I'm hoping the new jar solves the drying up issue with the black one.

Performance is OK, nothing to write home about...unless i find it's the best thing ever i probably will splurge on a more pricy product next time. It's nice and black, but i can't get a very precise winged eye with it. It's good enough for now, i'll probably use it until it dries up. But definitely returning the brown one. :(

Ive used mac blacktrack, and i think the color is better with the NYX(every gel e/l ive tried has been blacker than the Mac IMHO). Ive used quite a few different gel eyeliners, and id say this one compares favorably with all of them..they all seem the same to me before they start drying out! This one looks like a very precise, very dark pencil line to me, which is OK. Not a precise line like a liquid. All in all..it's adequate. Just nothing special. :)