NYX Gel Liner & Smudger

3.6

Really richly pigmented and long lasting. Transfers a bit.

on 6/15/2015 11:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The only problem with the eyeliner for me was how too easily it smudges even after hours on. For instance, when I do cat eye, it gets in the edges of my crease when I blink. In places it shouldn't be.
I think they should try to improve staying power.
Either that, or use a separate line dedicated to just liner, not smudger. This product is useful for a base for a smokey eye.

The texture is very, very creamy which I like.
It just never fully dries, though. Someone gave me a rough hug hours after I put on the liner, and it lost some of its color to their skin.

on 6/13/2015 10:58:00 PM

I use this for my eyebrows and it lasts all day, doesnt smudge even with sweat or water.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased NYX Gel Liner and Smudger in the Scarlette shade (deep brown) at Ulta because I had tried every other drugstore gel liner in brown and none were a deep enough shade for my liking. This little pot came in a box and had a plastic and Styrofoam seal under the lid. Once I opened it, I applied it with the brush from my L'Oreal gel eyeliner and it went on perfectly smooth, not dry or crumbly. This liner did not skip, and the shade is perfect for me to wear with black mascara. The best part of this eyeliner is that it does not fade all day and stays as vibrant and pigmented as it did when I applied it. Most gel liners fade from my lids by the end of the workday and this liner has not yet faded. I have to scrub it off my eyelids with makeup remover when I take off my makeup because it refuses to budge (which is a good thing, in my opinion!) I am sad that I waited so long to try this product because I love most everything else NYX has put out and I had this product in my hand several times at Ulta but just kept putting it back on the shelf. This has become my holy grail gel eyeliner!
Definitely planning to repurchase, and to purchase multiple colors!

on 3/7/2015 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have no complaints about this liner! At least the black one. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the same quality of MACs Fluidline gel liner for half the price! Maybe even better as the NYX gel liner is "smudgable" and thus slightly less mistake proof (mistakes are easy to fix). Great gel liner for the price!

on 10/13/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Purchased this mostly to see how it would compare to Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. Definitely did not go into it expecting it would perform as well, but it did not completely suck either. I purchased the cobalt blue NYX and the color is very nice and really shows up in a perfect cobalt hue, unlike some of my Bobbi Brown gels which sometimes appear nearly black in certain lighting. Even opening a brand new jar of the NYX Gel, the product itself seemed a little dry as I worked my brush in the jar. It does not apply quite as smoothly as the Bobbi Brown, and I can tell it will probably dry up long before the higher end gel liners. But NYX does recommend storing it upside down, which I will try to see if the initial dryness was caused by it being kept right side up on the display at the drug store. The NYX color lasted a long time and it did not smudge or transfer once it had time to set. Even though it's less than half the price of the Bobbi Brown, I don't think I would purchase again as I feel like this will dry out in the jar much faster than the HE stuff.

on 9/14/2014 11:42:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really, really regret buying this.

The good: it's easy to put on. The black one, at least, is true to the color.

The bad: within 2 hours, this smudges horribly on me. I won't touch my eyes, but still get ridiculous fallout. I shouldn't feel embarrassed that my makeup literally falls off my eyes within 2 hours of wear to the point that I look like a raccoon.

I guess the big issue is that because it's sold as both a "liner & smudger" that expecting it to function WELL as a liner is asking a bit much.

I adore NYX. Many of their products are a fantastic deal when you weigh their quality vs. their price. This is not one of those products :(

on 8/26/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This eyeliner is very dark, and very creamy. It was very easy to work with. It definitely gave me that cleopatra look.

on 8/10/2014 3:41:00 AM

Ugh. Awful. Probably one of the worst gel liners I have ever tried. I love Mac's blacktrack, but have tried others I found suitable as well. This was a runny mess. I hated the packaging too, difficult to deal with. Spend the extra few dollars and get the Mac one!

on 6/30/2014 1:39:00 PM

I have had this gel liner for about a month now. I bought this at Ulta because it was cheap for a gel liner and I wanted to try a gel liner. I'm Asian and have a flat monolid. This product stays fairly well on my eyes, but in the Florida humidity it will melt off your face! When I'm mostly indoors it's not an issue but was a bit embarrassing when my husband noticed my raccoon eyes the other day. I experimented with using this on my brows and I honestly like the maybelline eye studio pencil liner better and I definitely notice more melting on my brows rather than eyes. I will finish the pot, but I'll be trying a different product like Tarte next time. I'm glad I bought this as a starter though. The packaging is great. I loved how the product was sealed with a plastic cover to prevent it from drying out in the shelf. I don't think I can return to liquid or pencil after seeing how gel liner looks.