August 28, 2014 | 1509 users online

Eyeliner - NYX - Gel Liner & Smudger

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This eyeliner is very dark, and very creamy. It was very easy to work with. It definitely gave me that cleopatra look.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by PlanetAmour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Ugh. Awful. Probably one of the worst gel liners I have ever tried. I love Mac's blacktrack, but have tried others I found suitable as well. This was a runny mess. I hated the packaging too, difficult to deal with. Spend the extra few dollars and get the Mac one!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Sooee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had this gel liner for about a month now. I bought this at Ulta because it was cheap for a gel liner and I wanted to try a gel liner. I'm Asian and have a flat monolid. This product stays fairly well on my eyes, but in the Florida humidity it will melt off your face! When I'm mostly indoors it's not an issue but was a bit embarrassing when my husband noticed my raccoon eyes the other day. I experimented with using this on my brows and I honestly like the maybelline eye studio pencil liner better and I definitely notice more melting on my brows rather than eyes. I will finish the pot, but I'll be trying a different product like Tarte next time. I'm glad I bought this as a starter though. The packaging is great. I loved how the product was sealed with a plastic cover to prevent it from drying out in the shelf. I don't think I can return to liquid or pencil after seeing how gel liner looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by AthenaBell

I have never used a gel eyeliner before and heard good things about them so I decided to try one. I spent hours researching the best ones to get, I only use cruelty free products so obvious ones like MAC was out of the question and I didn't wanna pay over $20 for an eyeliner. Here in Australia make up is way too expensive, then I heard about how NYX is making a good rep for themselves and are cruelty free, even though they are considered a drugstore brand. They aren't available in stores over here, so I had to buy one online for around $16. The product glides on so smoothly even without using an eyelid primer, its very pigmented and lasts for hours. The only annoying thing about it, is that it is impossible to wash off! I had to use my make up wipes followed by coconut oil to get it off, but all in all a great gel eyeliner for beginners that is good quality and cheap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Tamira

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

So, as a liner and shadow, I actually like this for a smokey eye (less dense than my infinite collection of other gel liners both extremely high end and drugstore brands). I have Charlotte Brown (a lighter or medium brown) and I quite like the color on my golden/yellow toned tan skin (Bobbi Brown Golden Natural/Golden Honey mix).

However, I actually found a better use for it. I recently gave my mother the rest of of my Tarte Brow Mousse in Medium Brown because I actually always used Taupe more except on my tips where my hair is more sparse and because after a revisit, I am again obssessed with the perfecion of my Shu Uemura Hard Pencil in Walnut Brown and my Shu Brow Manicure in Honey Glaze (these two along with a tiny line or two of Shu Hard Pencil in Seal Brown on my sparse ends gives me a PERFECT brow)...

BUT, in a pinch, I tried this in Charlotte with thinner brown brush (MAC/Trish McEvoy), and because it is a drier liner and does not budge once on, it makes a beautiful, natural brow filler (when done with a light hand - made easier by the dryness of this product) and looks ALMOST as natural as the aforementioned combo (please note I already have eyebrows - I'm just deepening them while also lightening them with Brow Manicure and extending them slightly - I am not sure I would recommened this to someone with a bald brow...)

This also looks gorgeous all around the eye (see "Captivating Charlotte on the box or website). Because it is drier, it is more subtle and a more neutral brown than my many other gels. I was going to return it because it is rather dry for a gel but once I usd it to smudge an extreme, but subtle smokey eye and turn out a fabulous brow, I decided to keep it...

Try it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by littlebird246

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, after reading the reviews here on this product...i thought i would give it a try. Got Betty black and Charlotte brown.

It seems that nyx heard the pleas that it was drying out too quickly, because the black and brown were in completely different packaging, the brown in a smaller glass jar, the black in the more familiar glass "brick" of a container that wastes all the space in your make up bag.

The black actually had a cellophane seal ( over the top after opening the lid), the brown did not have this...and is already so dry I'm going to return it. It's so dry its separating from the sides of the jar! I'm hoping the new jar solves the drying up issue with the black one.

Performance is OK, nothing to write home about...unless i find it's the best thing ever i probably will splurge on a more pricy product next time. It's nice and black, but i can't get a very precise winged eye with it. It's good enough for now, i'll probably use it until it dries up. But definitely returning the brown one. :(

Ive used mac blacktrack, and i think the color is better with the NYX(every gel e/l ive tried has been blacker than the Mac IMHO). Ive used quite a few different gel eyeliners, and id say this one compares favorably with all of them..they all seem the same to me before they start drying out! This one looks like a very precise, very dark pencil line to me, which is OK. Not a precise line like a liquid. All in all..it's adequate. Just nothing special. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Niza9

This is great eyeliner. I love using it for my winged liner. I have the black one and the color is great, very intense. It works wonderfully as a smudger too!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Brenda7777777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One flaw, the packaging. The jar does not seal tight therefore it dries out the content inside. I purchased the "Scarlette", aka dark brown because the black was sold out. For the first week the gel liner went on smoothly and perfect! The formula lasted all day ( I did have to apply my UD Primer Portion which is part of my regular routine). On the second week I did notice the application of the liner was a bit drying and not as creamy. That's when I realize the jar was not sealing tight. I did have to transfer the gel liner to an old MAC jar container that I had from a paint pot. Since then it has not been drying

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by misstiffany

As a gel liner, it smudged on me within 2 hours. It could not withstand Florida's humidity. I'm really disappointed in this stuff. It just melted right off my eyes!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I bought this in Scarlette (dark brown). I was excited that there was a cheap blackened-brown gel liner. Unfortunately, this is where my love for it ends. The consistency is SO dry, and it was hard to get an even line with it because it would skip upon application. It also fades pretty badly after about 4 hours. NYX and I have a pretty decent relationship, so I'm rather let-down with this product.

To compare, I tried and bought the BB gel liner. Even though it's expensive, the quality blows this one out of the water. I will say that Scarlette is really similar to BB's Espresso Ink. So if the formula for this liner works for you, it's a good option for $15 less.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No