Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss (69) Merveille

3.7

on 11/25/2013 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing texture, moisturization and wear, but the shade and glitter just didn't work. I had gift certificates and decided to splurge on this- what a waste! The browny/pinky shade should have looked great on me (pale, dark hair), but instead looked far too fake and frosty. Clarins Gloss Prodige in Chocolate is 10x better: more natural looking, flattering and pigmented without the sparkle bomb. It's hard to imagine a nude shade for evening only, but it is. The glitter looks cheap! I will save this as a winter lip balm, though. Next time I will be more careful. UPDATE: Now I really dislike this. I saw it in natural light and it looks awful! The pigment somehow appears to not adhere to my lips and almost "float" on the gloss, looking really unnatural and unflattering. For the price especially, this is a giant NO!

on 9/3/2013 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately, Merveille was a miss for me. I love Troublant and couldn't wait till what I expected to be a more intense shade of Troublant hits the shelves. I was half-blind when I tested Merveille in the shop because I bought it. While Troublant is a perfect MLBB to me, very natural, grown-up and polished, Merveille is sheerer and flashes very cool lilac on me. It turned out extremely unflattering and I desperately tossed it away. Though it could definitely flatter some skintones and lip tones, it totally washed out my pale lips and face and was a straighforward lavender which I couldn't regret more. This made me very careful with buying Extrait de Gloss blindly, despite million online swatches telling you need it right away, it may turn out a total disaster on your own lips! 5 stars for the product itself, but a definite no-no for me

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Merveille looks almost exactly the same in the tube and in some swatches to the LE Fall 2012 Troublant, but Merveille is cooler, plummier, frostier and slightly more opaque. It is quite pigmented and dramatic compared to the other extraits de gloss I have had (this is my sixth).

The best way to describe how Merveille looks on me (NC15 with medium pigmentation to my lips) is what Clinique Black Honey would look if it was opaque and had obvious frost. My makeup does need to be a bit cooler when I wear this, and I can't wear it with a bare face like I can Troublant, but otherwise it is a flattering, easy shade to wear.

Troublant leans more red and is sheerer, but Merveille -in the permanent collection- is a close enough dupe, especially blotted down, if you missed Troublant when it came out. I'm glad I have both. While I mark rebuy on most products if they work well, I rarely rebuy lip products because I have so many. That said, I will likely actually rebuy Merveille because of how it works with my skin tone and the even texture.

Recommended for Medium Skin