October 21, 2014 | 1269 users online

Fragrances - Diptyque - Volutes EDT

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by jhenley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is a great scent in either EDT or EDP. A smoky leather, tobacco sweetened with honey and fruit. Better than Tobacco Vanille which smells too much like cigars. This does too but not as cloying as TV. I love this!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Once again, a scent that I would like to smell in a winter candle and not on a person. Sort of smokey with a strong accord of something lke camphor. Not at all appealing for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

Gorgeous and poetic. If you love catching a whiff of cigar smoke on the air, you will probably enjoy Volutes.I do prefer the EDP to the EDT; I find it to be a bit sweeter. What sets this scent apart from SDV and TF Tobacco Vanille is the inclusion of honeycomb. It melts beautifully into the the tobacco and benzoin and makes for a sultry, exotic scent that is cozy, but still appropriate for day. The hay note is subtle and warmed considerably by the saffron and myrhh. The drydown is spiced honey perfection. It lasts 6+ hours so you only need to spritz the back of the neck and the inner arms. This is one of the few scents I own that is sweet without being gourmand. It is mellow and exotic, a staple in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 7:38:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Diptyque Volutes does smell very natural. Almost too natural in our world of sweet gourmands and synthetics. It's a surprise scent that I did not expect. And It's not for everyone's discerning nose, but it's an interesting perfume.
My first impression of the first phase was of peppered hay in a barn. (As if there is such a commodity.) And then pipe tobacco quickly came into the mix. Volutes met me head-on, looked me in the eye and didn't back down. It continued with a pleasing composition of vanilla and woods. But that doesn't completely describe its complexity. Immortelle and honey further complicate this fragrance all together with what I've mentioned immediately vying for attention.
I've been wearing it through two seasons now to try and pin it down, but Volutes just seems to be difficult. Just when I think it's clean and sweet, a barrage of notes swirl around me making me think it's mysterious. I truly can't compare this to another. Add in it's earthiness with hints of saffron spice and heavy on its resin influence with its four, yes, count 'em, four base notes of benzoin, styrax, myrhh, and opoponax and this is a powerful fragrance.
So where does Volutes take me when I'm wearing it? To a bazaar filled with wonderful, wondrous smells from heavy spices that are sold in open barrels under tents in the hot summer sun, where you can smell the aromas of Mediterranean food cooking nearby. Or I'm in a barn, laying in the hay. It transports me away from home, that's for certain. And that's its allure. It doesn't change me, it just takes me someplace else for a few hours. Simple bottle with a plain white label. Dry down is a softer, spicier version of the main attack. Better suited for spring and summer wear when the weather is warmer. What a fascinating unisex perfume!
Top Notes: Iris Flower, Honey, Tobacco, Dried Fruits.
Middle Notes: Pink Pepper, Black Pepper, Saffron, Hay, Immortelle.
Base Notes: Opoponax, Myrhh, Styrax, Benzoin.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 2:06:00 PM More reviews by ayala

Diptyque's has already won my heart if not at least gained my deepest respect time and again with their classics - Philosykos, Oyedo, l'Ombre Dans l'Eau, Ofresia and Tam Dao. But I kinda stopped following their latest releases as I found them all to be pleasant enough; yet non has stirred anything in me. I probably would have dismissed Volutes completely if it wasn't for another MUAer's enthusiastic recommendations (FBW!)

It's very different from the other Diptyques in that it's a lot more substantial and full bodied; and dances on the edge of ethereal, smoky, oriental, and maybe even a little gourmand. If anything, it reminds me more of some of the more forthcoming scents they've created for their candle line (i.e.: Feu de Bois, Essence of John Galliano come to mind, in terms of their bold, outspoken complexity).

Volutes plays on the contrast between two themes - the smoothness, warmth and strength of polished woods against the airy, untouchable movement and swirling of incense. It spills out on the skin like warm melted beeswax and honey, creating a feeling that is not quite gourmand, but more so a sensory memory of gliding honeyed wax on smoothly-plucked skin. And maybe licking a polished wooden staircase (I might have done that at some point between the ages of 2-4...). And then comes a waft of swirling incense mingled with pink pepper, roses, saffron and dates.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by swimmingpretty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Before I finally bought this scent I would go into stores and spray it on before going out.... I was obsessed and obviously couldn't go on like that
Honestly I can't believe it took me so long to buy it. I adore this perfume and took the first opportunity to buy it with £5 off in the Liberty sale
Generally scents tend to run sweet on me so I like scents with pepper and tobacco or fresh scents with citrus or greenery. Volutes really balances the sweeter notes of honey against the tobacco and pepper and although it is classed as a sweet scent is is not sickly sweet on me. My scent journey is as follows:

Wet (first spray): Full on grown and sexy, the iris and the tobacco scents take the lead
Dry down: This is where the peppery notes come out with some fresh florals
Hours later: the hay absolute remnants and benzoin make a clean smokey scent. I find Hay absolute to be very comforting (I also like Lush The smell of weather turning) so I love walking into my bedroom after spraying this earlier in the day.

I would definately class this as a nighttime scent but I do try and get away with one spray of it in the day. Definately try this one its very unique.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by dwhite_07017

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this scent. When I wear it I feel glamorous and beautiful (Not only does it smell, great it may have hallucinogenic effects.)

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Incredibly beautiful and refined. It's powdery, but in a modern way. It's well-blended; none of the notes really stood out to me as independent of the combination. Notes per Luckyscent: Mugwort, pink pepper, Sechuan pepper, saffron, mandarin, immortelle, hay, honey, iris, tobacco, styrax, opoponax, musk

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No