Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Please do not use this! Only use if you are seriously trying to cover a tattoo. Now I love a full face of makeup. Even though I don't necessarily need it, I love full coverage and always have. However, this foundation is a horrible horrible horrible full coverage. It will literally make your skin complete crap. It will take your aesthetician serious work and money to undo the gunk in your pores. If that's not your biggest qualm then consider the huge transference problem!!! Want to wear sunglasses? Well do not take them off or your nose will have frame markings on it. Not hot. PASS

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Unlike the concealer, there is some sort of scent to this product would not call it fragrance free as listed on box. The scent does fade away after a few minutes. It smells like lightly scented paint. I am very sensitive and it was mild enough to tolerate. The shade I bought Light 42 is awesome for very pale skin. The packaging is cute. This is 100% matte.

I would not recommend this product for anyone other than those who have oily skin and/or are very young with normal to oily skin. If you have dry mature skin this is going to be a nightmare to apply without serious prep and incredibly careful application.

Since I don't always have time for that kind of prep and colder weather is approaching and I don't want full matte I have taken to applying it over a light application of argan oil. I have also mixed it with a small amount of moisturizer to thin it out and makes application much easier. I tried it with a primer and a sponge for when I want more coverage but this is the kind of makeup you feel on your face all day unless you apply it lightly/thin it out.

The best thing about it is the color match to be honest. I just don't like this full of full coverage. I liked the concealer much better but lightest shade is too dark for me. If Kat would add a Lock- It light I would buy that but not see myself buying this again.

on 10/7/2015 1:25:00 AM

I bought this because I have light acne scars and wanted a good coverage foundation that lasted all day, and most of the reviews that I read were positive.
I wore it to work, and within an hour, my face looked very caked and I felt as if I wanted to wash it off my face. It was not flattering at all, and every time I passed a mirror I saw that it was gradually looking even worse. Looking at my face close u, you could see the cracks around my cheeks and forehead, and it stared to take on a slight orange glow, even though I had used an ivory shade. It is a very thick foundation, so I am going to give it another chance but use less to see if it has a better look. At the moment, I do feel that I have wasted £44 on this, and very much doubt that I will buy this foundation again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Wow! I have acne scarring (hyper pigmentation and indentations) and oily skin and this stuff worked so incredibly for me. No breakouts or oiliness. Full coverage for sure, I didn't even need concealer after I applied this. And yes, ladies a full coverage foundation won't feel light as a feather if it is this amazing at covering flaws. To me it feels fine, of course it is thick I need it to cover all of my problem areas (and there are a lot of them). I am a light-medium skinned blonde with neutral undertones and wear light 48 for the winter months. They have quite a few different undertones and colors available which is nice. I couldn't believe how light the lightest shade was so if you're very pale check it out! I've never had something look way too light for me like the other colors of this foundation. I felt tan for a second haha. Stays on all day, looks flawless. Not for everyday use really I would say, but for when you want to go out and look damn good in person and in photos. My new HG foundation.

on 10/3/2015 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Yesterday I got a sample from Sephora -- and I won't be wearing this again. It stung my eyes and smelled like industrial solvent. The color and finish weren't impressive.

I am slightly lighter than NC25 (I am not a MAC wearer, though, that stuff is also too harsh for my skin). and I got shade Kat Von D Tattoo in 53. I usually wear Clinique Even Better (Golden Beige) or Maybelline Fit Me (228) that I have tinted to match my skin with my Shadester kit.

I put on my Paula's Choice sunblock. Then I applied this. And within about 2 minutes, it stung my eyes and skin around my eyes slightly and worried me with its industrial solvent smell. Remember, your skin is your largest body organ and you can absorb chemicals through the skin. That, and the FDA does not have to have any proof that this won't hurt you. You are on your own, ladies.

The color was a bit too bright orange for my yellow-olive complexion, and this settled into my pores. So, even more reason not to risk my health for looking good. The sample is now literally with my art supplies. Next time i need to make a human face, I'll use this. ;)

on 9/25/2015 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

So I used this foundation on my wedding day, not because I necessarily enjoyed it because of the level of coverage this foundation provides. I bought this foundation about a year ago and ever since then I've always kept a bottle in my collection just for those days where I feel as though I need a little extra coverage.

The texture of this foundation is really thick it's like a stiff cream and once you apply it to your face it is somewhat hard to blend. I used this with a beauty blender but I found a that the product was so thick that it was hard for it to sheer out. I then used a flat top and while it blended the product it still felt really cakey. I then tried a round top kabuki and that ended up working perfectly. I tried spritzing some fix+ on my brushes and bb before using this foundation but for some odd reason this foundation does not work well with water, fix+, primer or setting sprays.

The coverage is definitely full but I found that the foundation never fully dries down and that bothers me because it has the tendency to then transfer onto everything I wear. The coverage remains consistent through out the day but I won't lie by the end of the day after wearing this you will feel as though you just want to peel your skin off that's how thick it feels. I recommend setting it with a powder but it already so thick that you don't feel as though you want anything else on top of it.

This foundation feels as though it would make you break out after a while because of the way it is. I found another way to get this foundation to work without the heaviness. On my wedding day I mixed literally a drop of this with my double wear and it added extra coverage but without the thickness. I find it to be an excellent foundation to mix with others to add coverage because of the high level of pigment.

Overall I find it to a great foundation to mix with others and that's about it. If you do enjoy this level of coverage I strongly recommend checking out becca ultimate coverage creme as it provides the coverage without the heavy texture and also Estée Lauder double wear maximum cover. The texture of these foundations seem to all fall in the same spectrum of a mix between liquid and cream.

I forgot to add I use two shades m53 and m57 I believe I mix them together. I am nc40 in Mac and 3w2 cashew in Estée Lauder and Barcelona in nars sheer glow.

on 9/25/2015 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Great coverage.

I am 52 years old with a lot of redness and some "freckles" (aka age spots). This foundation gives me excellent coverage and looks incredible! It lasts all day too. I apply it around 6:45 a.m. and I'm consistently surprised at how much comes off on my makeup remover towlette! It looks beautiful but it will look cakey if too much at a time is used. I love this despite the price. Have never used a foundation that does what this one does in terms of coverage and beautiful look. I will definitely be buying this again! I found it when I had my skin matched to a foundation at Sephora.

on 9/17/2015 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this foundation because it's very full coverage. It lives up to its name of being a very high coverage makeup.

It's very sticky when applied with a brush, but that does go away as it sets deeper into the skin.

I put it on, use my typical powder over the top and 20 minutes later I'm oily on my forehead and chin. Normally, I'd pin this on my skin--however my skin has NEVER been oily. I have always been that girl who looked like she had cake face because her skin was so dry, I put on moisturizer religiously!

So me getting oily has been a huge shock. I've never in my life dealt with oily skin, and I have no idea how to and I don't think I will learn just so I can wear this foundation.

As much as I loved its coverage, I won't be repurchasing this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING COVERAGE. stays matte for a while. I do touch up during the day, but that's ok.

Video Reviews & Tutorials