January 31, 2015 | 2091 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2015 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Cassandrajjjj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS FOUNDATION!!

I purchased this foundation once in desperation during a bad breakout a few months ago because it is maximum coverage and the price didn't break the bank. After using it once, I was SHOCKED at how amazing it was. I am very picky with foundations. I have fair skin that is very dry in the winter, so it is hard for me to find a foundation that matches my skin color AND doesn't make me look flakey or cakey. This foundation, however, made me look flawless, even during a bad breakout!

I receive numerous compliments on my complexion every time I wear it. The only negative to this foundation is that it is very thick and sometimes hard to apply. I have found that using a dot on each section of my face (each cheek, chin, and forehead) and spreading it with my fingers works better than a brush or a sponge. It spreads wonderfully, so a little goes a long way. Once it's on, it literally does just as the name says.... It's ''locked'' for the day.

Overall, I give this product 5 stars. It is definetly not for someone who likes a light foundation or sheer coverage, but if you are looking for a full coverage foundation that lasts all day and doesn't feel heavy on your face, you must try this!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2015 8:47:00 AM More reviews by KeliQ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has to be the most disappointing product I've bought lately. I had such HIGH hopes being as every picture I ever see with someone wearing it...has them looking smooth and flawless like a China doll. :/
I have pretty normal skin....kinda large pores....and omgosh. ...it settled in and accentuated every poor SO BADLY!
Dx <
I even tried using a primer underneath. ...nope. And I don't know what the deal is with it, but it would move around and cake up in places ...like literally slide on my face and leave patchy spots. I've tried it for a month now...a million different ways.... and same thing...just does not like my skin aparently. O_o
And putting powder on top of the shiny places...a big no no. Caked up and settled in what lines I do have. :/
I'm so sad about this...really. I wanted it to be the miracle product I've heard it to be. I love the packaging! and I loved that it's FULL coverage and thick...really hides any flaws on your face and skin....but after about 45 mins, it oxidizes and turns dark...and starts to do the separation thing, as well as made my face very oily. I'm gonna say....if you're over 40 with any lines or pore issues. ..don't waste your money. I will not be purchasing again. sticking with my Urban Decay Naked foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2015 5:33:00 PM More reviews by getbehindthemule

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I honestly don't know how people get this to work and look good or how this can be someones favorite. I am no makeup amateur and can not make this look good on me to save my life. I have very oily skin, but not much acne and mainly want to cover dark spots. Somehow this makes every small wrinkle and pore magnified and then when my skin gets oily after maybe an hour the foundation slides around and just looks awful. I really don't think i am using too much, 1/2 pump. It makes dry skin stick out that i didn't even know i had despite exfoliating and moisturizing. Im giving it 2 lippies though because the color matched me perfectly and the packaging looks amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2015 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Chloeluckin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am literally in love with this foundation! This is one of two foundations that I always go for for everyday use.
This is perfect for when I have breakouts that are very red and my other foudation a would not cover. I don't even need to have a concealer with this foundation as it very thick and full coverage!
It did take me a few tries to be able to apply it without making it look cakey or blotchy, but I've now found my prefect way.
I have normal-dry skin with an oily forehead, so I use an oil free moisturiser for my head, and a thick moisturiser for the rest of my face and it works very well.

I have it 4 stars because it didn't control the oil on my head, and came off after a few hours only on my head, and the rest of my face was completely matte. Even using my rimmel stay matte powder didn't completely keep my oil at bay.

Saying this, it gives me a completely flawless finish (several people have told me my skin looks like a porcelain doll) and completely covers all of my acne and redness.
I love it :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2015 8:54:00 PM More reviews by ginandjuice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

About my skin: oily, fair (neutral leaning yellow), not sensitive, not very acne prone. My MAC shade is NC15. Lots of broken capillaries on my cheeks and overall blotchy redness. Medium/large pores on my nose towards my cheeks. I got the shade Light 45 in this. I'd say it's neutral with some yellow undertones, so if your more neutral light, don't let the "yellow undertones" description throw you off. I've not had any oxidation wearing this.

When they say this foundation is full coverage, they mean full coverage. I do not need a concealer with this at all. BUT it does not look cakey or fake, just as long as you don't wear too much. 1 pump is enough for your *entire* face. It is extremely pigmented. Having said that you need to get matched to your shade as close as possible.

Even though it's full coverage, I don't feel it on my skin at all. It doesn't look or feel like a mask. When I touch my skin I don't feel it on my skin. I've noticed no color transfer. The finish is more a satin than a full on matte.

The only issue I have with it, it doesn't control oil as well as I thought it would. Revlon Colorstay Whipped/regular did a much better job with oil control. Doing the "Goss method", I didn't have to blot with Colorstay, but I do have to blot/re-powder with KVD. But Colorstay didn't cover up my broken capillaries as much as I wanted, at all. They were still very visable and I'd have to use a green concealer, then regular concealer, THEN foundation to cover it all up. So that is the tradeoff. Lock-It, is a one coat covers all at once.

So if your oily skin, don't expect this to provide excellent oil control. It also has a tendency to sink into my pores, which Colorstay doesn't. This is the only reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5.

It's a thick foundation, but it's surprisingly easy to work with. I do one section at a time though because it's fairly fast drying (which I like). I've applied it with both a beauty blender and a stippling brush. I think both do a good job - the BB might sheer it out a bit more? You can actually blend this in pretty good with your fingers because it spreads easily and then go over it with a damp BB to smooth it out more if you need too.

Would I re-buy this? Yes. I love the coverage and the feel of this foundation! I've never had a foundation provide this much awesome coverage!

I think the price is on point. You use literally 1 pump and it does last all day (since blotting papers don't remove any of the makeup). So I can see this bottle lasting a long time and I wear this about 5-7 days a week.

Foundation is one of the makeup items I don't mind paying for because if your foundation looks bad, everything else looks bad.

Edit: I used this today with my Urban Decay De-slick mattifying powder and this foundation stayed 100% oil free all day! Got up at 5am and it's now almost 7pm and it's still going strong :)

When I still want good coverage but not FULL coverage, I'll mix 1/2 of each colorstay whipped and lock it and it looks great.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2015 10:18:00 AM More reviews by BlueSeaHorse

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation because it makes your skin looks flawless and it covers a lot without making your face look caked up.

With that being said, I think the Revlon Colorstay does a very similar job so if you can't afford the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation try the Revlon Colorstay.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2015 1:57:00 AM More reviews by ReviewNinjaRN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this foundation in the shade Light 48, which is a perfect match. This foundation is very high coverage and a little bit goes a LONG way.
APPLICATION:
I only apply this with a beautyblender. The formula is so incredibly thick that I can't even imagine trying to blend it out with my fingers or with a brush.
LONGEVITY/OIL CONTROL:
I've worn this foundation for at least 12-15 hrs (I work 12 hr shifts) and can say that as far as oil control, I have to blot at least once through my shift and/or powder. As for the lasting power, it does fade a tiny bit in my most oily areas (sides of the nose and between brows), but nothing terrible.
PACKAGING/PRICE/FINISH
This comes in a pump that pushes the product up from the bottom, making it very hygienic. Also the black tattoo motif = totally dig it.
This foundation is $34, which I actually find to be a reasonable price, as the foundation will last you forever.
This dries down to a matte finish, which I love because I'm so oily, but it only lasts about 5-6 hrs, at which point I have to take care of business.
OVERALL:
I like using this foundation when I have to go to an event, only because it is so high coverage and definitely looks like you have foundation on. Overapplying this foundation = serious cake-face (for serious - been there, done that).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2015 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Barbiedollnurse

I was a Max Factor pan stick med. beige 129 girl for 23 years & received daily compliments on how beautiful my skin/face was. When Max left the US market , I switched to Mac (less compliments & was not not quite right for me ) Now.....I think Kat Von D is going to bring me back to beautiful with her new foundation. It is amazing , stays on all day ( and I am the nurse that looks like "Barbie" wearing surgical mask at times and need extreme wear for my day) I also have a skin pigment condition that this covers perfectly on my neck. Please, everybody go buy this so she will keep making it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2015 4:38:00 PM More reviews by AlexisTarantino

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Kat's products. Her lipsticks are amazing, her eyeliners are long lasting and this foundation is perfect.

It takes me 2 small pumps of this to cover my whole face with a brush. It's not cakey or drying and for me it lasts all day. I have trouble with redness in my T-Zone so I try my best with concealers but with this foundation I didn't need one! The name gives away the quality of the formula which is a good quality.

It cost me $34 at Sephora for 1oz of this which is really disappointing because the only time I get to really but expensive makeup is when I get a gift card at Christmas. So for that I have to say even though I really really like this foundation, I wouldn't buy it again with my own money.

The packaging is 50%Cute %50Punk and I love the bottled so much I'll probably keep it.

All in all- great formula, expensive price and cute packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Minermanswife

I received this as a Christmas gift, I got a med. 52 and it's to light. .but I just mix it with a darker type lightweight foundation. .and it looks just fine. I love that it last all day and you only need a small amount! wish I could give it 5 stars!