July 30, 2014 | 1760 users online

Nails - Sephora - Sephora by OPI GelShine Kit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Fantastic kit. I only wish the color selection was better but I find other brand gel polishes work fine with this base coat & top coat. I am that person who polish never lasts on, I'm talking not even an hour but with this kit I can get 2 weeks out of my manicure & only then do I remove it because of the obvious nail growth.

You have to cure until the polish is no longer tacky. I cure many more times than the instructions say. When I only cured one time per coat, my polish would peel after a few days. Curing for longer allows me to get much more time out of my manicure. It is very important to clean the nails with the nail cleaner after. One time I didn't & the residue got all over my hand towel after I washed my hands.

Sallys sells pointed q-tips which are great for wiping off mistakes.

After doing one hand, you must roll the colored polish back & forth in your hand a few times because it settles in the bottle.

Once this is cured, it is set. I can do anything right after doing my nails... dishes, yard work, you name it & no chips or peeling. I recommend not using your nails to pick stuff, like barcode stickers that come on newly purchased items.

The removal sucks. Really bad. I can only do one hand at a time because once the wraps are on one hand, I don't have the dexterity to do the other hand. So, it takes me a good 45 mins or so to remove the polish from both hands. I really recommend not doing more than 2 coats of the colored polish because when I've done 3 coats, it took FOREVER to remove the polish, I'm talking like I had to leave the nail polish remover soaked wraps on my nails for 40 mins (twice as long as it should take) to get it off. And speaking of the remover wraps, I purchased them for much cheaper at Sallys than Sephora charges. You MUST remove the polish properly with nail polish remover- DO NOT peel or scrape it off or you will peel off layers of your actual nail (learned that the hard way XD ).

This is how I do it:
1. Remove / push back cuticles.
2. Buff nails (this roughs the nails up to help the polish stick better).
3. Use the cleaner (I believe that is rubbing alcohol packaged as a nail cleaner) with the lint proof pads to remove any residue from the nails (any residue must be removed from the nails so the polish adheres properly).
4. Apply base coat to thumb. Cure once. Then apply first coat. Cure twice. Apply second coat. Cure twice. Apply top coat. Cure three times. Then do the same with the rest of the nails on that hand. Thumb must be done seperately because you can't fit your whole hand under the light.
5. Use the cleaner with the lint proof pads to remove any residue from the nails. If polish is coming off on the pad then after I wipe all the nails down, I will cure again & rewipe with another cleaner soaked pad to ensure all polish residue is off the nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Caxap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm addicted!!!! I NEVER painted my nails before because it was too frustrating to dry them for what felt like a lifetime and then watch them chip and wear away immediately. This kit has solved everything!
It takes me about 1-1.5 hours to do, including all the prep (like cutting my nails), and Im very detail oriented so that's why it doesnt go quickly.
Result: shiny, beautiful nails that NEVER chip (unless you take something sharp to them). They do wear off at the tips, but it's not noticeable.
My manicures last 8-10 days. I don't use the polish remover b/c they are easy to peel off once they're ready to go. I think this thins out the nail though... But I dont care, my nails are always short =P
I have most of the shades, and some go on easier and smoother than others.
Advice:
1) Paint before bedtime, so your nails have the whole night to settle.
2) DO NOT shower right after painting! Ive done this once and the polish literally melted/migrated into the edges of the nail.
3) Cure each nail immediately after painting with color. The polish tends to migrate into the edges of the nail. Some polishes are worse than others when it comes to this (worst offender: Already Famous).
4) Dont use on toenails. Difficult to control and cure and doesn't last as long as regular polish.
5) Dont be sloppy!!!!! It will compromise the longevity of the polish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had gel manicures before and *loved* them. My nails just do NOT hold on to nail polish no matter what I do and with gel manicures my polishes last for well over a week. So when I saw this kit, I had to give it a try. I knew it might be a bit difficult to use and not as long lasting as the salon product but I thought it would be worth it. I love this home kit. It has everything you need and I can even layer the products with my regular nail polishes for longer wear (though not as long as gel polishes). It does take some getting used to, working with these gel polishes, but it's worth it. I just wish there was a better selection of colors. Sephora only has a few colors and they are always going out of stock.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by moee323

I am an employee of Sephora and an avid fan of their products, this is definitely one of my favorites. I got this as a Christmas present from my mom, and even my boss is in love with it. The LED is much faster than the UV like axxium. The colors are also OPI so they are tried and tested. Also, you can widen your color selection with this machine and get OPI gelcolor, their real/not sephora brand, of nail polish that works just as well. I currently have on bare to be different, and absolutely love it. The only thing that I would say is follow the directions to a tee.

The cost is 159$, and that is actually not a bad deal for many reasons. One, it is not a crappy machine. Two, it is from a great company that values their customers both opi and especially sephora. Thirdly, the company will always be there to make refills and extras, unlike some companies that make a product then disappear and you cannot get more polish or whatever it may be. Lastly, they will return it if you dont like it.

This is hands down, no pun intended, one of the best things Sephora has to offer!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by rachaelhubbard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this as a birthday present from my husband. I've had one shellac manicure in a salon - just one! - and was converted. I used to do acrylic and "gels" back in the day, but the fake look of it, cost, and time investment turned me off as I now have two small children and sneaking off to the nail salon every other week just isn't in my schedule now.

At any rate, I am still working out the kinks. What I loved about my salon shellac manicure was how thick and indestructible my nails were - they felt like they had acrylic on them, but without the damage of application, and lasted for-ev-er! This kit, so far, comes out much much thinner. It really looks and feels just like plain old nail polish. This could be a pro or a con, depending on your preference. The instructions clearly state to do THIN coats. I'm on my 2nd application now and playing devil's advocate by doing the top coats purposely thicker to help in my nails getting that nice "bullet proof" feel. We'll see if it leads to it not lasting as long though.

My first application I followed the instructions pretty closely, and on my right hand I had 2 nails crack on Day 10 to the day. Almost to the hour, too. I'm right handed, so that one gets more abuse... it was my index and middle fingers too. So, I got 10 days of manicure out of it, which is pretty good and within advertising paramters. My salon manicure lasted more than 3 weeks before I removed it though. I'm hoping I can get 2 out of this eventually.

I would say not to get this kit if you are not good at painting your own nails. I've been doing mine since middle school, and just now, at 30, am I really confident in my technique enough to attempt something like this. Of course, I didn't grow up with "nail blogs" though, so had to learn it all on my own! I think this kit is all about technique. If you can paint your nails without flooding your cuticle, 'going outside the lines,' and know how to seal the tip, you will love it.

The sealing the tip part is still tricky for me, especially since my nails are not yet grown past the tips of my fingers. Hopefully this problem corrects in a few weeks' growth, and I can get a nice sealed tip on both hands again (right hand's nails are shorter at the moment - I suspect this is why they cracked/chipped, because I couldn't get a good seal.)

I would totally buy again, and this is my new favorite beauty product for sure :) I have 2 colors now, and have a strong suspicion I might have them all soon....!

Things I didn't like: The removal setup they advise is stupid. You wrap your fingers in acetone-soaked pads with medical-like tape on them (like the Red Cross puts on your arm if you donate blood.) It's really wasteful, made my fingers go numb, and expensive. I only did it once, on one hand... wound up just soaking my other hand in a ramekin of acetone polish remover. Worked just as well, with no stupid waste and no need to buy expensive proprietary gadgetry. Definitely go to Sally's and pick up a galon, and do like the salons do.

Also, I cure mine for a long longer than advised. They claim 30 seconds after each coat will do it... I found my nails to still be tacky to the touch after that short of time. I do 60-90 seconds in between coats and a good 2-3 minutes after the final top coat. THEN I am left with a salon-like unnickable finish. :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by marchigiano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The GelShine kit is an incredible at-home manicure set. While I did find this set pricey at first, I looked into the professional one by OPI and it runs at almost $600 CDN so $189 CDN seems like nothing in comparison.

I find the manicures very easy to do, using patience and taking your time to ensure not to bleed into the cuticle is key. It took me about 20-25 minutes the first time, but I now have it down to about 11-15 minutes. I love not waiting for the polish to dry! I get easily 2 weeks per manicure and could stretch to 3 if I needed to. Removal is easy enough, and if I'm in a rush I'll just peel it off..and the integrity of my nails is always left in tact.

I hope they release more colours soon, as the current selection isn't the greatest. Metro Chic and Seeing Pink Elephants have to be my favourites!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 2:12:00 AM More reviews by motleyutube

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This kit is essentially a shellac at home nail system that comes complete with everything you need to do a full on shellac/ gelshine manicure. It includes an led lamp instead of the uv lamp salons use and cuts the lamp time to 4 30 sec dry time. It also includes removal items which takes an easy carefree bandage type system that takes 20 min to remove in the leisure of your home. No soaking in acetone like at the salon which ruins your nails, this system leaves your nails as they were before you apply the polishes which by the way are the exact same colors OPI creates with the same name, For example, Lincoln Park After Dark. Ordered that one online though. It's crazy easy crazy good and so pretty. Way better than the salon experience and way faster and healthier. My sister and I are in love with it. Tiard of your great long lasting color? Change it on minuets. You can't go wrong. Fool proof and fantastic.