October 30, 2014 | 1680 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts in Cherry Creme (dark auburn), 30R

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by YADAYADAYADA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally I got the colour I wanted! Last spring I had coloured my hair super dark - not quite black but it may as well have been. So in the summer I got highlights to lighten myself up a bit. Well, me and blonde do not work. No matter what the shade it just does not work. I don't know why I keep trying it. Anyway, I used an ash brown to cut the gold which actually doesn't work (duh!) Ash on gold is not a good idea. Then I added a medium golden brown to try to warm it up (I was using various different permanent dyes btw, just whatever was on sale). Then I realized I needed to add a bit of red back into my hair so I used mahogany brown by Belle. My roots came out nice but the ends were still gold. I came to my senses and went back to Clairol Natural Instincts which I've always had good results with (seriously, why do I stray!?) I got the Cherry Creme on sale at Walmart for under $6 CAD. I always apply these demi-permanents to wet towel dried hair regardless of what the instructions say (they USED to say that so I just keep doing it as I find I need two boxes when I apply to dry hair). I left it on for longer than 10 minutes because my toddler, who was supposed to be asleep, decided to make a fuss (of course, because I was busy colouring my hair and DH wasn't home - never fails). I was more like 15 mins or maybe more (oops). IME reds of any kind take forever to rinse out completely in the shower and usually end up taking one or more shampoos to stop running the red in the shower. This is no exception so use dark towels. I really like the conditioner this comes with as well but I never use that touch up packet that comes with the kit. They should really eradicate that whole idea. After drying my hair it was really dark and had a nice deep reddish/burgundy shade to it. I was going for this exact colour as I love super dark hair but I'm too old for the harshness of black hair and just need something with a bit of interest than just plain dark brown (although I also love NI's dark brown and medium ash shades). The sad thing is, they no longer have the Creme colours listed on Clairol Canada's website so I'm assuming they are discontinuing...or reformulating... not sure. I guess I'll have to switch to Rosewood (dark auburn) and hope it comes out similarly.

UPDATE: Well, the colour faded massively within a week so while I loved the initial colour, it's just too hard to keep. Went back to my natural ash brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by paulamarie

I've used this shade twice so far and I adore it. I used to dye my hair red all the time, but I like that this is more subtle: a deep, rich auburn. It took my hair color from washed-out to rich and shiny. Since it is only a demi-permanent, it does fade eventually, so I use color-protecting products including Aveda Color Conserve Daily Color Protect, which helps guard it from fading in the sun. I used to use permanent red dye, but have used NI for a long time instead, as I like that it's less damaging and doesn't give you major roots. This is one of my fave shades, a just-dark-enough tone with a nice reddish tint that looks nice against my pale NC30 skin.