November 21, 2014 | 1695 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Scarlet Ibis

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by 4patti

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you like a bright lipstick do not be afraid of this one. It's a hot as a chili pepper red shade that looks intimidating in the tube but is so very flattering on. Complimentary MAC liners I've tried are Brick and Redd (I prefer Brick with it, but then I like my liner to be slightly more pronounced/deep; Redd is a dead-on blend in match). I apply SI straight from the bullet as I do with every other lipstick, then finger pat the color in to make sure that it saturates all of my lip surface. After I wear it for a few minutes I'll double check its intensity to see if at that time it looks too heavily applied or needs a blot. Otherwise, it's good to go. There is no escaping that this is not a timid color, so I wear it best with subtler eye makeup looks. Despite being very matte I have not had any drying issues, only need to reapply after eating (and then not entirely- while it doesn't "stain" it has very good staying power) and I've already purchased a backup for the future.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by pemily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

on me, I only see red... even in the tube I really dont see orange (unlike Lady Danger). I wore this out last week and honestly couldnt get it to stay on!! I applied Redd Lipliner underneath (which I too used for the firsr time), but it just WOULD NOT hold!!

very odd for a bright colour

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by vitallies

Got talked into buying this at MAC. It's an nice reddish orange, but eye searing bright! I almost returned it, but then I mixed it with my magical mixing lipstick (Jordana Matte Lipstick in Natural, which cost me two dollars) and it toned it down enough to make it a very pretty, wearable colour, but still eyecatching.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by gingersnap250

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Put this on for the first time today and wore it around just because! It's a very striking color, definitely a bright red orange. It's probably more of a summer color, but I tend to wear lipsticks and perfumes less as a seasonal thing and more as a mood thing! I am a redhead with very pale skin and blue eyes, so I made sure to wear just a bit of eye makeup, or I think I'd look too trampy. I saw people staring at me in my black coat, sunglasses, and red lips, and while it might have been bad stares, something tells me it was actually good stares! Glad I tracked this limited edition down :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

It is my second MAC lipstick, the first one is drying and to cool for my skin tone (NC25)
I did purchase it 6 years ago and never look at a MAC lipstick afterward. But I did fall in Love with the Iris Apfel collection and read rave review on their lipstick. I went to the closest MAC PRO store from my house and they still had Scarlet Iris. A bright red-orange matt lipstick, non drying that stay 6 hours (which is a lot for me) I did a retro look with it (wing eyeliner and rosy cheeks) it really look good. Great buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Librakitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Scarlet Ibis was the first color I heard of when hearing about the Iris Apfel collection with MAC. It was the first shade of lipstick shown on the fashion shows and everyone was raving about it. Now I see why. What an unusual/unique shade of lipstick. It's an orange-red, but shows more orangey on my skin, less red. It's not a full neon orange, it's a subtle color, but so unusual. I have gotten tons of compliments on it and everyone I know went out to buy it...hence the sellout within a few hours online and in stores. This is a definite shade for the Spring/Summer. If you can get your hands on it, buy it! It's just the perfect color to have in your collection. I should have bought backups of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by sunshine23905

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Absolutely loving this color. Incredibly bright and vibrant, it adds a certain glow to the face and makes me look a lot more interesting.

definitely not for the light hearted. I am about a nc37, black hair and dark eyes.

really wish it came in some bright packaging to really represent iris apfel, but overall love the collection.

must have for spring/summer!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by thesavagefamily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Don't be afraid to try this shade if you are a fan of reds or brights. I have NC 25 skintone, dark hair, light eyes, and wore it today with only mascara, bronzer and blush. I applied this lipstick straight from the tube and it just brightened up my face. I did not need eye makeup, as the lipstick just added such a glow. I don't love the matte finishes, but I did not find it as drying as some matte lipsticks. Be sure to exfoliate your lips first because this lipstick will highlight dry lips. It did not bleed and wore off evenly. The color on me is a nice, bright red/orange and looks like a stain after blotting. This shade is so warm, that it probably wouldn't work on someone with a cooler complexion. In the swatch picture it is the second from left.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No