November 23, 2014 | 2073 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - (line of products)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 7:43:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This review is for the DevaCurl towel, which I've been using for about a month. There is a noticeable difference in the smoothness of my hair and I plan to continue using this towel because I can see my hair is benefiting from it. I always seem to have problems with breakage so I'm trying to baby my hair any way I can. The material is super-absorbent without being rough, definitely cuts down on my drying time.
However I would not buy this product again and here is why. One, it is entirely too small. I have to pull and stretch it and use clips to hold it in place when I wrap it around my head. Two, I saw another product called Turbie Twist for sale at Walmart for $4.98 (the Deva towel costs $12!) and it is made of the SAME gentle and absorbent material and it's large enough to easily wrap up a full head of hair. Wish I'd known about it before I shelled out $12.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by seekingsolutions

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried to love this, I really did. I WANTED to love it. Because of the hype and the reviews, I thought I was all set...I bought the Lo-poo and the Devacare conditioner, along with the Arcangel gel...for a few washes, it was brilliant. It was love at first sight. I was dazzled...stars in my eyes, from my gorgeous curls. Went back to Chatters and bought the whole line. After three weeks of use, my hair began to fall out in massive handful gobs, and one day I used it after "cheating" by using other products...Like a bad ex-boyfriend on a revenge high, the minute, I swear, the very minute the Lo-poo went in, my hair literally flash-froze into dry, immobile hay. It actually frightened me. I had to immediately wash it out with another shampoo, and it has taken me a few months to get my hair back to anything near normal. Buyer beware...hype and high price does not equal quality! :p PS Many of the products stink, nay, REEK of the homeopathic medicine cabinet!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 12:12:00 PM More reviews by SusanMary

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to stop fighting my hair and let it do what it wants to do which is be wavy/curly. I have been using nothing but DevaCurl products (No Poo, Conditioner, various styling products) for over 8 months and I no longer have frizz. My hair is conditioned and healthy even though I color it every three weeks and it is past my shoulders.

I use the conditioner in a jar once a week, left on all night with a plastic cap and a ski cap to keep the heat from my head in (cute, right?). I generally mix the ArchAngel gel, styling cream and some of the shine booster together, let my hair dry naturally or use the DevaCurl hair dryer if I am in a hurry.

I get a Deva cut about every 3 months and that really helps the curls become more defined.

I have tried other curly hair products and have just not found them as effective. Whenever Ulta has 20% off of everything I stock up on Deva products.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by bek72

So, I gave in to the hype circling around these products. I have naturally curly, coarse, long, Botticelli curl. I went thru a straightened phase, but recently wanted to go back to "what God gave me". I purchased a package of 12 oz bottles of the three basics, NoPoo, One conditioner and Angel gel. I have to say, after the firs use, they products really transformed my hair back to the curls I remember I ha in my teens - shiny, separated spirals. I see that the "technique" is just a important as the products themselves. You really need to concentrate the NoPoo on the scalp and use a generous amount, in order to get it clean. This, in conjunction with the ultra-creamy conditioner leaves the hair super soft. I then wring out the excess water and wrap dripping hair in a regular towel and wait 10 minutes. I DON'T think you need their special shammy towel -the point is not to agitate the hair, so any towel will do. After, I work about 2 quarter sized dollops of Angel gel through my hair and leave it alone till it dries. Once dry, I shake my hair upside down a couple of times and viola! - shiny, separated, soft curls, without a hint of crunch or stickiness. Perfect products for seriously curly, frizzy hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by KatheK

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this line of products. But I had to learn how to use the products in a way that suited my hair and it took trial and error. Friends of mine who use DevaCurl kept recommending the product line to me but I resisted because it is pricier. At first, I was OK about it and then I went to go see a DevaCurl stylist. (Check their website, mydevacurl.com - if you're interested in seeing if there is a specialist in your area. I was stunned that Scott invited me to visit his salon at no charge just for a consultation and advice about using DevaCurl products.) One of his suggestions was using the B'Leave-In in conjunction with the Styling Cream and the Volumizing Foam. What a difference! I love my hair! I've never said that before and I'm 50 years old.. I have fine wavy/botticelli curls. What he told me is that the B'Leave-In condiitions and then the Syling Cream seals the hair cuticle. My hair was limp just using the B'Leave In. So, my "cocktail" of products is: No Poo, One Condition (rinsed out), B'Leave In, Styling Cream, Volumizing Foam, and AnGel. And I use paper towels on my hair - no cloth - and just enough so it's not dripping when I apply products. And I don't touch my hair until it has dried completely. Once it's dried, I crunch my hair, and I have these lovely soft, bouncy, defined curls. And it feels soft, too! I wash my hair once every 2 or 3 days, depending on my activities. Other days, I refresh it with water mixed with a little - very little - Re-Mister, the B-Leave In, the Styling Cream, the Foam. Mostly the products are reactivated with the water. And then a little AnGel. I have received so many compliments on my hair. For me, it was trial and error. I tried different combinations, different amounts of product, different sequence of products until I found what worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 8:20:00 AM More reviews by Imimpressions

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the towel

A towel you say? YES the most amazing hair towel ever! So amazing I want 2!
The SA at green apple told me to wrap my hair in this after the shower, to not let a Regular heavy towel around my hair because it breaks the curl. So after each shower I wrap my hair in the towel, it's small but you can do it. Then I take it out after my coffee and waiting for my moisturizers to set and I brush my hair with my aveda brush (another fab find). Then I put in the DC pumping foam and use the towel to scrunch my hair and pop, it goes from straight just brushed to cute strong curls, it's unbelievable, no hair blower at all, very natural and efficient, no frizz and lots of volume! Finishing touch of either DC spray gel or aveda hairspray and I'm done!

I am very impressed with this line and if you have any wave/curl in your hair give this stuff a chance. It is amazing!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by pmnixa

I wanted to add a review for the entire line of Devacurl products for those considering this line. I have 3a curls. I tried this routine: No Poo, One Condition, ArcAngel - also tried the Heaven In Hair and Set Me Up. After getting a devacut and learning how to use these products, reading the Curlygirl book that goes with it, I thought I was all set for some fabulous never-before-seen on me curls! I was wrong. After several weeks of use, my hair was very dry and straw-like, and the shorter layers on top stuck out. The longer curls were curlier than usual, which was the only positive, but they were still strawlike and dry feeling. I tried several things to try to remedy the situation. I used the One condition as a leave in. That didn't do much. I tried to use an Aveda product with a little oil in it on top of the arcangel - didn't help. I got the Heaven In Hair conditioner - that seemed to make things a little better, but still did not help a lot. I went back to my normal regimen and breathed a sigh of relief when my hair immediately got soft and bouncy again (Aveda Dry Remedy Shampoo and Treatment Masque, Be Curly, Confixor). So, my call on these products is a pretty big NO. I have tried Ouidad in the past - if I was going to stray into a curly hair regimen again I'd go back to that one.