October 25, 2014 | 896 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Stippling Brush

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2014 5:08:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yes its cheaper than MAC but this brush not dense enough. Too thin and floppy which creates too much "give" and poor control. I can't get the air brushed finish with the Real Techniques I can get with the MAC 130/187/188 brushes.

I can work with a floppy brush but what is unforgivable in my book is the sharp hairs. People rave about its softness, which it mostly is, but mine has about 4 or 5 prickly sharp hairs which are painful. When I first tested it and found it painfully prickly all over I inspected it up close and noticed some of the thick black guard hairs were longer than the rest and thought that was the problem, so I spent ages carefully snipping them down to size to match the others (this is super hard to do without removing any white hairs but I managed it with help) and this helped with 80% of the problem. But I'm still getting a few hairs prickling painfully so I never use this horrible brush.

Why am I complaining about prickling?? Its not only unpleasant but actually causes micro tears in the skin and blood vessels, leading to increasing redness and skin damage over time. Even if you don't have sensitive skin I sure bet you want to look beautiful not red and damaged broken capillaries in your cheeks.

I have other brushes that are 100% soft from the Real Techniques I love (Buffing Brush, Blush Blush - I have several of each). So I believed in them and thought the prickling was a one off dud. I then ordered a second single brush plus a third that came in a kit. But sadly ALL THREE brushes have the same PRICKLY hairs amongst soft ones. I'm stuck with 3 useless brushes. I think this particular brush has poor quality control and do NOT recommend, I suggest if you have sensitive skin try something else.

One example to rival the MAC 130, is the ELF "SMALL Stippling brush". Its firm but is the smaller one so not so great for foundation but does cream blushes and cream highlighters beautifully. I actually found it better than MAC because the MAC shed on me, and the ELF didn't, plus it only cost $3!! Way cheaper than both MAC and Real Techniques. I do say with the E.L.F. you will get a dud every now and again with the heads coming loose but they are so cheap so it pays to buy a couple and at least one will last you the test of time. BUT I only recommend getting the "SMALL" ELF Stippling brush not the "Regular" larger one, as the regular one is its floppy like the Real Techniques, ie not that great and you it will probably end up sitting in a drawer.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2014 7:18:00 AM More reviews by uxi

Most people probably use it for foundation, but I actually use it for applying and blending in blush. Although I don't wear blush often, when I do, it must look like a natural flush and not a baboon's derriere. This is the perfect tool for grabbing a "just enough" amount of blush and then gently depositing it on your cheek. Plus, it is a far cleaner approach then applying cream blush with your fingers. If you are in Australia, you can get it online for less than half the retail price instores.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2014 1:36:00 AM More reviews by shmilez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This brush is perfect for applying liquid foundation. I have dry skin so I have dry patches on my skin and I have some redness. This brush prevents the clinging to dry patches and eliminates the redness. It's a really good price too. I have used it with both mid-end and drugstore foundations and it gives me wonderful results.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 2:46:00 PM More reviews by theginger11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am in love with this brush. I was my first real techniques purchase and I couldn't be happier.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 7:28:00 AM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

This is such a great brush! And the fact that it's pink makes it perfect to me. Stipple on the product and buff it in. Gives a flawless finish without looking cakey at all. Super dense, but with a soft touch.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Drod5551

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this brush, I use it to apply mineral blusher and really love the effect it gives , I prefer this to my mac 116.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/14/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by dellajaz24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This brush is ok but it always leaves feathery lines on my face not sure if I'm using it wrong or what? ?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 2:09:00 PM More reviews by CandiceLee

When I first tried a stippling brush, I bought the elf one just in case I ended up hating them. I never could get that flawless finish everyone raves about no matter which foundation I used. They did however work pretty well with my bronzers I bought the real techniques one, planning on using it for bronzer, then used it for my foundation because I coudn't find my sponge and it was clean. I think the angels may have sang, my foundation looked fabulous. Yesterday I used it to apply a super runny BB cream. Just as amazing. This may send that sponge packing for the time being. I don't think it would work well with the thicker foundations like the whipped or cream ones. Those seem to just cause a nasy mess no matter which brush I use and waste product. But with liquids this brush just made it's way into my every day routine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by missmelodya

this stippling brush is perfect for applying both liquid and powder cosmetics. i am able to use this with my laura mercier mineral powder foundation, mac studiofix powder foundation, and all liquid foundations with ease. this brush creates a flawless airbrushed look with very little time or financial investment. despite the affordable price tag the brush is constructed well - i've washed it numerous times over the past year and it has not shed a single hair, it continues to perform above my expectations. even though it is labelled as a stippling brush i find it also works well as a kabuki brush, blending and buffing powders in to the skin without causing the slightest bit of irritation ( a huge selling point for people with sensitive reactive skin.) i've purchased a few for friends and every single one of them loves this brush, some of them went out and purchased other brushes from the line and rave about them to this day.

these brushes are easy to find both in stores and online, are competitvely priced, perform beautifully, are easy to wash, and travel well without breaking. above all, in my case, they do not irritate delicate skin. this is a huge deal for me as i find many brushes, especially over time and with repeated washings, become harsh on my face - this brush does not!

i'd say i'd buy again, and i absolutely will, but given the durability of this brush i probably won't need to repurchase for a long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by paine724

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my least favorite brush by the RT line. The stippling brush always gives me uneven results when used with cream blush or cream bronzer. I reach for my $3 elf stippling brush more than this brush