October 25, 2014 | 1437 users online

Shampoo - Kerastase - Chroma Sensitive

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by BeaP

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Although it's labeled and marketed as a shampoo, it is a conditioner. If you wash your hair with it, you need to use a lot to feel any cleaning, and your hair gets greasy the next day. It also has a thick conditioner texture (more like a masque), so it's really hard to distribute it on your head. Pros for some: silicone-free, paraben-free, sulphate-free. I use it now as a conditioner, and it works pretty well. It makes hair stronger and softer, and has a sweet, full bloom rose-smell, which is not exactly pleasant, but OK. The problem is that for this price I can find equally good or better conditioners.
If you want to try this product type, I suggest you to wash your hair with any conditioner that is everything-free and you'll see what I'm talking about. A printed label doesn't make a product something else, but in this case justifies the outrageous price. Kerastase communicates it as a novelty, but it's nothing of the kind.
I bought the bigger size, which is in tube packaging. This cream is so thick that it's hard to get it out even from the tube. Considering that Kerastase's most other treatments are in an unhygienic jar, that can be interpreted as a plus.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by MrsWesticles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this shampoo!

I colour my hair from dark brown to gingery red regularly, and have oily fine hair that I have to wash daily to avoid going flat (I've tried dry shampoo but it leaves it feeling heavy and matted - not great for a public facing job!)

This is gentle enough that I can use it for 2 days followed by 1 day of Bain vital shampoo, and it doesn't affect my colour. My hair feels clean and shiny, and my fine flyaway fringe is actually more manageable! Yes it's expensive, but so is my dye job, so would definitely use it again

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Tearbag1969

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love love love this stuff. Leaves my hair soft and shiny and doesn't strip color. But it's way too expensive

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by pr0cessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product a lot, but I have given it an "average" 3-star rating for two reasons: First, it's way too expensive; and secondly, the packaging is really awful. I wonder how many women are out there like me trying to justify this purchase? This cleansing conditioner costs $42 for less than 7 oz. My rationale was, this will make my color last longer so it's worth the price. Well, it's true that this product is one of the few I've encountered that does not strip color. This is really important for me, as I color my stubborn gray hair every 3 weeks. But there are cheaper alternatives. L'Oreal is the parent company of Kerastase and they offer a drugstore version of this. It's called Hydracharge cleansing conditioner and can be found in a small blue bottle at Target for $5.99. Honestly, the two products work equally well in terms of not fading color, so for someone like me who is on a budget, I simply can't justify spending $42 when I could spend $6 for the same thing. BUT if money is no object, this is a great cleansing conditioner. I have tried a lot of them, including Deva care, Mizani, wen, and salon grafix - this is among the best. Not a lot of lather, and it has a luxurious feel to it. I'm not wild about the smell which is similar to a lot of other Kerastase products, generic and perfumy. As I mentioned initially, this has really bad packaging. It's a pump that is very "sticky" and hard to use. The one and only Kerastase product that has so far "wow"'ed me, and which I think is actually worth its high price tag, is their Elixir Ultime.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by mladyd

I am not a fan. I got a sample of this, actually two samples, in my Birchbox and promptly tossed them into the shower. Today I decided to use them and just assumed one was a shampoo and one was a conditioner so imagine my surprise when I realized they were neither but a hybrid of the two. Now I can go without washing my hair for a day or two, I have done the"conditioner only" thing with whatever I've got sitting around, I've even just washed with water so I had a fresh head of hair to blow dry and style. I just didn't like this stuff. Using it was awkward even after I did some reading up on it. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed some more when I was done, never feeling like I got it all out, and then I let it air dry a bit before hitting it with the round brush and blow dryer. My hair is naturally wavy bordering on frizzy and it still was with this stuff. It's no softer than it is after my usual spray in conditioner and glossing oil routine, and my hair/head don't really feel that clean. I do color my hair regularly so I think I'm the target audience for this stuff but I suppose my old ways of thinking about shampoo are just too ingrained in me. I won't get a chance to judge it on it's color protecting properties since that would require me actually buying a bottle and I can't see that happening.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 12:50:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This hair cleansing balm gave my hair a lot of shine. Unfortunately, it made my hair so soft that it lost all its body. Even worse was that it greatly irritated my scalp, making it very dry and itchy.

The pump packaging is difficult to use. The product could easily have been put into a convenient to use tube or flip-top plastic bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by kiefer5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this shampoo but there is a real downside to it though. First the company recommends you use it for the first 3 shampoos after you color your hair and then alternate it with your other shampoo. So depending on length of hair you are suppose to use 5-10 pumps. This means you go through this product really fast because the amount in the bottle is 200 ml. for $42. The good thing about it is that using conditioner afterwards is optional my hair feels soft after. Seems to protect hair color as well. Kerastase is owned by L'oreal and they have a similar drugstore version called Evercreme cleansing cream. The ingredients are almost exact except that Evercreme as some added plant seed oils. I like Kerastase better because it is thicker and smells better. Kerastase has a strong smell too but does not bother me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by teddyjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If the price is not a problem this stuff is great...I went from near black hair all the way back to my natural dirty blond in 2 days...my colorist is amazing, she had me alternate between this and oribe's shampoo and conditioner for colored hair and my hair stayed soft and shiny, no breakage. When I ran out of chroma sensitive I continued with the oribe alone...after a couple months my hair got dry and frizzy tho the color stayed nicely.

The short: feels like conditioner, no lather...follow the directions and hair comes out clean and soft like baby hair...alternate with a regular shampoo/conditioner and my hair looks and feels like Im getting salon deep treatment all the time...no need for a heavy conditioning mask ever. Great if you want to be lazy about your hair care and are willing to pay for it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 11:14:00 PM More reviews by Karin1539

I am surprised I like this as much as I do and do believe I will most likely repurchase. It really does keep my hair color looking very nice, not drying but it cleans my hair well. I use it after the first coloring and then alternate with normal shampoo. By the time my next hair appt my hair color still looks great. For reference - my hair is long/fine/highlighted/prone to brassiness, frizziness and split ends. I find this stuff to be oddly non-scented.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2011 7:08:00 PM More reviews by lashjunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this shampoo a couple months ago, when I last had my hair highlighted. I only get my hair highlighted once or twice a year, so I'm hoping this product will reduce fading. Two months out, I do think my color looks better than when I wasn't using this product, so the product does what it says.

I don't use this for every shampoo, I alternate use with Bain Volumactive. I like that I don't have to use conditioner after this shampoo, which is a big time saver on rushed mornings. I don't like that I can't go 3 days between shampooing when I've used this product (or my hair looks greasy). I don't think this would adequately clean my hair after a solid workout, so I use my other shampoo on those days.

As others mention, it doesn't lather, which I understood up front and am okay with, and it's pricey, but so is highlighting your hair, so I think it's worth it.