October 23, 2014 | 2057 users online

Polishes - Orly - Royal Velvet

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by quoddybay

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

One of the polishes that keep going back to

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by sizza911

Interesting color. Normally, I'm not a fan of dark blue or purple polishes but I saw this color in the store and was intrigued. Still, it is a tad goth IMO-- it's very dark and looks almost black indoors. It looks great in sunlight or fluorescent light as it shifts between blue and purple. I like Orly polishes. They dry with a nice finish and last a long time. I use a base coat with dark polishes to minimize yellowing of my nail.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by bluengold2007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This color was on clearance at Ulta. I wonder why it is a great color. I love royal blue and I love purple so this is the best of both worlds. A wonderful duochrome. It took me three coats to get to the color intensity I desired and I have topped off with Seche Vite TC. I am on day two so I can not comment on chips or wear, so far so good!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by gracie114

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This color looks really different in different lighting...very pretty in all of them! I used 3 coats for completely opaque color, but my nails were very long when I wore this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by mudpie1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Orly's Royal Velvet is a shimmery dark purple polish with a very heavy blue flash/duochrome effect. In some lights it's blue and in others dark violet. There is also very slight dark pink shimmer that is hardly visible; however, what this shimmer does is add a not-so-flattering bruised look around the cuticle area on my light complexion with slight yellow undertones. This bruised effect is not visible all the time, just in certain lighting.

The application on this was, IMO, horrible. The consistency of the polish was very gloopy and sticky and remained so even after adding quite a bit of thinner. The first coat was extremely streaky and had a muddy purple tone. The second coat evened out the streaking; however, I found that if I needed to go over any area more than once, I ended up with bald patches. Three coats completely evened out this polish and it dried perfectly.

All in all, for the most part I really like this color but due to the application and formula issues and because it leans more toward blue than purple, I won't be buying this one again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 6:17:00 PM More reviews by londonhermit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great color from Orly's spring collection. At first I thought this color would have a bruised effect but it's beautiful. It's not as duo chrome as I thought it would be but more like a peacock effect. The colors it flashes are violet andpeacock blue. The application was fabulous as well; usually I hate the application of Orly nail polish. I used two coats for full coverage. The Orly spring collection is my favorite so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by PenelopePitstopKYD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think it's LOVE! From Orly's Spring 2011 Precious Collection, Royal Velvet is the quintessential blurple... With flashes of blue, purple and deep magenta, Royal Velvet is a duo-chrome that must be purchased, owned and worn to truly appreciate. Enjoy ladies. :)