October 31, 2014 | 1550 users online

Hair Color - Rainbow Research Henna - All Colors

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I tried to use this in 'black' over previously hennaed hair. I thought since it was so indigo heavy (there is some henna in there too obviously) it'd cover the red and turn black but lo, my roots remained red. My damaged lengths soaked up the black nicely but my healthy hennaed roots wouldn't take the black. Going to purchase real, quality, fresh pure indigo from henna Sooq to do a proper 2-step for hopefully pure jet black from root to tip.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by fantasea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used the product several times now on my hair and though each time its a slightly different color I have finally gotten it to where I LOVE the color. At first it was just too red but now its more of the golden light brown I wanted. The trick was to use coffee, cider vinegar and yogurt. Since its thin and short it doesn't take much and if you get the thickness right not really messy at all. Not any worse than the box stuff that fries the hair.
The 4 oz I bought lasted me months using it 4 times. Though it smells and feels like I am slathering horse poop on my head it and its hard to rinse out it really has helped my hair a lot. I will try adding the cloves and see if that doesn't help with the smell.
I was having a problem with my hair getting way too thin, Its always been fine and thin but it really got to where I could see my scalp and it wasn't growing. I did the henna first and I noticed a change in the growth the first week.
I also swim 4 to 5 times a week so I started wearing a cap, went no poo, started taking biotin and it all started with the henna. I really think its the henna that jump started my hair to growing in again. Yes I have NEW hair, thicker hair. Not to mention its sooo shiny now. Its even growing in darker, not the silvery grey as before.
I am hoping that as I use the product more it will keep growing and I will finally have a head of hair to be proud of.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by 4Sophie4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm in my mid-40s with shoulder-length, light brown very fine hair that is starting to thin out. I found this product at my local health food store and decided to give it a try. The first time, I bought the Medium Chestnut Brown for $6.99. Following the instructions, I mixed it with hot coffee, a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and some olive oil until it was the consistency of mud. I did not part my hair or go section by section when applying it, because my hair is so fine I was able to just put globs of it on my head and rub it in wearing gloves. All my hair got covered with the product and I only used half of the jar. I wrapped my head in a plastic shopping bag and left it on for an hour and a half. The application was messy, like the other reviews said, but even though I have a white sink and counter in my bathroom, no stains were left after I cleaned up with soap and water. I actually like the earthy smell of the henna. Washing it out was a long process - very gritty - but it does all eventually come out. I use Biota shampoo for thinning hair which seems to be a nice complement to the henna, with its natural botanical ingredients. I followed it with a light application of conditioner and rinsed some more. Then I blow-dried my hair. I usually allow my hair to dry naturally, but I wanted to see what the color would look like. When it was dry I noticed that my hair looked shockingly dark, and my family said so too! However, the color was rich, shiny and lovely. I noticed my hair felt a tiny bit heavy and oil/slightly stringy for 2 more days until it got back to its normal texture, and that was with washing it every day as usual. Then, after about a week, the color had relaxed to a beautiful chestnut brown that I just loved. The color stayed on my hair for 6 weeks without fading any further, and I didn't have to re-color until my roots started to show. I used the medium chestnut brown several more times and then I decided to switch to the Persian light brown. The last two times I used henna, I used a half-and-half mix of the chestnut and the light brown, and just this morning I tried the light brown straight. I absolutely love this color. It is my natural color, only richer, and it leaves my hair very shiny and soft. My hair looks as shiny and healthy as when I was in my teens. I am very careful never to heat-style or chemically treat my hair. I'm trying to take good care of it so that, despite its extreme fineness, I can keep it relatively long and in decent shape. The henna, I've heard, is supposed to plump up your hair shaft and make it thicker - or so I've read elsewhere - well, even though I was hoping this would happen for me, I haven't noticed any difference in the thickness of my hair. However, I like this product for the way it colors my hair perfectly and cheaply, and without harsh chemicals, and the brilliant shine is worth it all by itself. It is manageable and feels very well-conditioned. I recommend this product to others and I will definitely keep using it. The only reason I might switch to another brand is if I find another brand of henna that is better at thickening the hair. That is the only reason that I gave this product a 4 and not a 5.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by mandee79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this product for the first time last night and so far I am pretty happy with it. I tried the Persian Light Brown, mixed with coffee and 1 egg. It was super messy but nice not to smell the intense chemical smell of regular hair color. It was hard to apply, like thick mud, but I think next time I'll just add more liquid. I wrapped my head with plastic wrap and a towel and left it on for 1 hour. The color is very natural looking and my hair is shiny. Not red at all. Maybe the coffee helped that. We'll see how long it lasts....prob won't last long but either does regular hair color and I can color again in 4 weeks. All in all, much better than chemical hair color and a great price.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Nicole143

So after reading tons of reviews and doing tons of research, I took the plunge. I bought the persian mahogany one. I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. I bought this 2 weeks ago and its been hanging around my bathroom, just waiting to be used!! I sifted it first as I had read that it can have twigs or trash in the powder and then I mixed it up , with probably close to a 1 1/2 cups of Red Zinger tea, a tsp of coconut oil, a splash of lemon juice, covered the pasty mess with cling wrap and let it sit on my desk overnight for close to 12 hrs. ( all of those directions are not on the container itself), I found to be weird that all other hennas suggest leaving it for its color to fully oxidize, so I follow other directions and did that. When I got to it this morning I could tell a difference in the color or the mix, but have read it to be normal to turn a brown orangey tint. So I took it to kitchen heated a little bit of the red zinger tea to loosen the mix a bit, added a tbs of plain full fat yogurt and a dash of ground clove and cinnamon just for the smell factor. Then I brought the mix to my bath room laid a towel down on the floor and counter, gloved up and literally slopped it on my head all over, covered it in 2 rounds of cling wrap, a shower cap and then a towel and sat with it in my hair for a good 3 1/2 hrs. Rinising it was like washing mud out of my hair not a problem, just added some conditioner and it rinsed right out. Did a deep conditioning treatment and then blow dryed. Its quiet lovely a very deep brown with red. I am really pleased with the results and will be using it again. I am glad I found this site and read these reviews first, because it prepared me for what was too come. The clean up was easy peasy, if you want to take the plunge and go natural give it a try, don't let negative reviews discourage you, everyone nor every head of hair is the same.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by treehugger222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Besides the red henna, these other ones aren't actually henna because there's no such things as "black" or "blonde" henna. Those would be indigo or cassia. I would have been fine with that, but another problem is that this henna's quality is very poor. I tried it (the Mohagany kind) as my first henna/hair color experience before, unfortunately, I researched all of this. The directions are all wrong, too. The Rainbow directions advised just to mix it with a cup of water or tea (which is way too little and makes it doughy) and then apply it for about an hour. What you're really supposed to do is mix it with about 1-1/4 cups of tea (or coffee depending on the color you want,) about 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and a tsp. of oil. Then, you have to let the dye set for a few hours if you want it to work, which Rainbow never specified. Lastly, Rainbow said to keep it on for an hour, but you're really supposed to keep it on for at least 3! When I used the Rainbow kind, the change wasn't noticeable. I had maybe a few reddish highlights...maybe. Also, it dried my hair out and was REALLY hard to rinse out--full of twigs! I bought some henna at an Indian grocery called Mehandi, I think. It was wonderful! I followed the real directions and now have soft, RED hair :) I love it! It doesn't smell bad like Rainbow, either, and it was very easy to rinse. I'm sure the Rainbow wouldn't be so bad if you followed the proper directions, but it just didn't work for me. Plus, it was about $8, and the Mehandi was only $2.99! I definitely recommend better quality henna. You'll get a wonderful red color!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the only brand of henna I have ever tried, so I can't compare it to other brands. I have tried two colors: neutral and one of the blondes (most likely marigold blonde because of the intense gold color). The blonde one added too much yellow/gold/green to my hair so I wouldn't buy it again. The Neutral is misleading because it is NOT neutral; it is made of cassia, which is blonde/gold. It will add a bit of gold to your hair, especially if it is light.

When I make it, I mix only half the container, which is about 55 grams. The recommended amount for my hair length is probably 200 grams. I would use more but it is so expensive. You can find this at Whole Foods, or cheaper online (I can recommend a place to buy it if you message me)
I mix the cassia with warm filtered water, and then I added a bit of honey and olive oil. There are a lot of things you can add as conditioning agents or color boosters, just do an internet search for what is best for your hair color.

I let the mixture sit for about 2 hours and then left it on my hair for about 1 hour 45 minutes. My hair color is naturally a dark-medium blonde, which gets lighter in the sun. So the top layer of my hair, which sees a lot of sun, is lighter than the bottom. The cassia seems to brighten (but not lighten) the dark areas, as well as add a tad of color to the light strands to give me a more blended look. I would highly recommend the "neutral" color to anyone. It's subtle enough that it won't mess up your own color, it just gives you a boost. If you are not sure about changing your color, go for the neutral. Also, my hair came out thicker, shinier, and softer. I love the grassy smell, which lingers in my hair. I have done the cassia treatment only a handful of times in the past, but I hope to keep experimenting with it.

EDIT I am going to have to take a lippie off of this product because the powder is so grainy. When I mix it, it is like applying wet sand to my hair, and I doubt that I am getting all of the good benefits of cassia with that kind of application. Next time I will try buying a higher quality cassia to compare it to. I put a photo of the results in my profile. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Cheers7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using the med brown color for about 6 months. The trick with henna...I believe... is the mix, if you like to bake you might like using henna ;-)
So...I get a nice golden brown with reddish highlights. I use earl gray tea to mix, add 1 tea of cinnamon, and 2 tbs each ACV and grapeseed oil. IT IS A MESS...but because I love the color I created (get compliments after every freshen) I deal with the mess. The reason I gave this brand only four lippies is b/c of all the twigs and chaff...I get tired of rinsing all that junk out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like it. It's cheap and it works. I bought it in Dark Brown - it turns out more of a medium-ish brown. Not overly reddish but some red highlights (it is henna after all). But it's fine with me because that's closer to my natural hair color anyway and that's what i'm looking for - to cover grays, which it does, if not perfectly. Most importantly, it's all natural-chemical-free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

I'm surprised I haven't written a review on this yet! I'm very sensitive to, well, everything, so I turned to henna to color my hair instead of chemical dyes. I've been using the Strawberry Blonde (thanks, Whole Foods, for stopping to sell only this color) for 1 to 2 years now. Looks fantastic! Isn't any harder than an at-home "regular" hairdye mix. Yes, mix the powder with hot water, slather on (this is a tricky skill to master) and cover with a plastic shower cap, wait a while (time amounts on the label), and wash out. Honestly easy. Important NOTE - if you use this regularly, make sure you only touch up your roots if you like the color you ended up with. Somehow...I didn't think about it, so my hair now is much darker than originally, but I like it a lot. Each application will darken the color. Nice and cheap and easy - exactly the qualifications I use for my hair and it still looks a million bucks!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No