Rainbow Research Henna - All Colors

3.6

on 6/10/2015 5:50:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've used the LUSH hennas and the Rainbow Lab hennas for about 3 years now- I recommend them both. I will say that years ago I used henna for the first time and it turned my hair into straw- it was a terrible experience. I learned later that you can NOT MIX henna with any chemical processing. I'd had my hair chemically straightened about 3 months before I tried the henna and wound up with a really unpleasant dry texture. Do one or the other, NOT BOTH. That turned me off to henna for a few years, then I tried it again.

My hair is fine in terms of each strand diameter, but has a stupid amount of volume in its texture. It's about armpit length, and the kind of hair that dries curly but slowly straightens out over the next few days. I wash once a week, no-poo or something natural and gentle. It's dry hair, so it's very absorbent, too. Natural color is a medium warm brown with a lot of gold in it, becoming almost blonde by end of summer.

Things I have learned about henna:
1) In general, anything other than pure red henna will fade to red over time. Indigo and cassia are used to color henna, which is only/always red, into different shades of brown. But they don't last as long on the hair, so even when I use a dark brown color, it will eventually fade to more of an auburn/red in a month or so. I found that the dark shades of LUSH barely stuck at all, maybe 2 weeks at the most. I use Rainbow Labs henna for darker colors.

2) Water vs coffee vs tea as your liquid definitely makes a difference. If you want deeper brown than red, go with coffee. Trader Joe's makes a liter bottle of cold-brewed coffee concentrate- it's awesome because it's stronger than what you can brew yourself and it's pre-made! I've heard people say that the texture of your henna mixture should be like melted chocolate- I prefer mine thicker so it doesn't drip as much, more like greek yogurt.

3) I don't know who these people are who get henna color to stick after 1 hour but I am NOT one of them. I leave it on for 4 hours or more, usually I aim for 6. I have slept in it overnight, but find that it didn't do anything different than leaving it on for about 6 hours anyway.

4) If you keep it warm or wrap with cling film and a towel, it will be redder. If you leave it on your head cool & unwrapped, it will be darker and more brown.

5) Use it as an opportunity for a deep conditioning treatment. I mix my henna with whatever liquid (for me, coffee and cider vinegar) plus at least 2 T of olive oil, 1 T argan oil, 1 T vitamin E oil, and 10 drops essential oil (I use rosemary for scalp health and grapefruit for shine). I think conditioning with henna is NECESSARY to get the gorgeous shine and volume and to make sure your hair comes out healthier afterwards!

6) "Cook" your henna mixture long enough to watch the dye come out. When you start, it will be green. When it's ready, it will turn brown. I mix it in a glass pyrex bowl double-boiler-style inside a bigger pan filled with water over med/low heat. I stir it with a wooden spoon about every 5 min for 30-45 min until the color changes completely. I let it cool enough to handle, then take to the bathroom and apply it hot/warm to my head and leave it uncovered.

7) If you have thick hair- SECTION IT FIRST. I'll be honest, the total henna application for me takes about 2 hours. Plus the 6 hours to leave in and about 30 min to wash out- It's a day long job. But the results are way better and last longer than if I'm lazy. It takes me a long time to section my hair, I do 1 inch sections and twist then secure in little buns with bobby pins. When I am applying the henna (with gloved hands, no brush), I undo one little bun, smush henna into the roots, then draw it towards the end, applying more to make sure the whole section is caked. I twist it back up into its bun, secure, then move to the next one.

It took me years to troubleshoot this so I hope my information is useful for at least one person! It's true you have to do trial and error to find what works for you, but don't give up! I think it's worth it :-)

on 4/8/2015 9:12:00 PM

This review is for the chestnut brown shade. I tried it once, after doing some research on henna and I mixed it then let it sit over night before using, and it didn't work very well. I did some more research and this time, I applied right after I mixed (with hot coffee and apple cider vinegar) and I generously applied all through my roots, then my ends. I used enough liquid that the henna was pretty easy to apply with a gloved hand. Left on for 1 - 1.5 hrs. Results were great! My hair, which usually is a dark ashy brown, is a dark, warm, rich brown. Not enough that many people noticed I dyed my hair, but my few fray hairs are nowhere to be found! I think the method takes some getting use to, but I'm sold. No regrets!

on 4/17/2014 1:38:00 AM

I tried to use this in 'black' over previously hennaed hair. I thought since it was so indigo heavy (there is some henna in there too obviously) it'd cover the red and turn black but lo, my roots remained red. My damaged lengths soaked up the black nicely but my healthy hennaed roots wouldn't take the black. Going to purchase real, quality, fresh pure indigo from henna Sooq to do a proper 2-step for hopefully pure jet black from root to tip.

on 8/17/2013 7:59:00 PM

I have used the product several times now on my hair and though each time its a slightly different color I have finally gotten it to where I LOVE the color. At first it was just too red but now its more of the golden light brown I wanted. The trick was to use coffee, cider vinegar and yogurt. Since its thin and short it doesn't take much and if you get the thickness right not really messy at all. Not any worse than the box stuff that fries the hair.
The 4 oz I bought lasted me months using it 4 times. Though it smells and feels like I am slathering horse poop on my head it and its hard to rinse out it really has helped my hair a lot. I will try adding the cloves and see if that doesn't help with the smell.
I was having a problem with my hair getting way too thin, Its always been fine and thin but it really got to where I could see my scalp and it wasn't growing. I did the henna first and I noticed a change in the growth the first week.
I also swim 4 to 5 times a week so I started wearing a cap, went no poo, started taking biotin and it all started with the henna. I really think its the henna that jump started my hair to growing in again. Yes I have NEW hair, thicker hair. Not to mention its sooo shiny now. Its even growing in darker, not the silvery grey as before.
I am hoping that as I use the product more it will keep growing and I will finally have a head of hair to be proud of.

on 4/6/2013 1:18:00 PM

I'm in my mid-40s with shoulder-length, light brown very fine hair that is starting to thin out. I found this product at my local health food store and decided to give it a try. The first time, I bought the Medium Chestnut Brown for $6.99. Following the instructions, I mixed it with hot coffee, a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and some olive oil until it was the consistency of mud. I did not part my hair or go section by section when applying it, because my hair is so fine I was able to just put globs of it on my head and rub it in wearing gloves. All my hair got covered with the product and I only used half of the jar. I wrapped my head in a plastic shopping bag and left it on for an hour and a half. The application was messy, like the other reviews said, but even though I have a white sink and counter in my bathroom, no stains were left after I cleaned up with soap and water. I actually like the earthy smell of the henna. Washing it out was a long process - very gritty - but it does all eventually come out. I use Biota shampoo for thinning hair which seems to be a nice complement to the henna, with its natural botanical ingredients. I followed it with a light application of conditioner and rinsed some more. Then I blow-dried my hair. I usually allow my hair to dry naturally, but I wanted to see what the color would look like. When it was dry I noticed that my hair looked shockingly dark, and my family said so too! However, the color was rich, shiny and lovely. I noticed my hair felt a tiny bit heavy and oil/slightly stringy for 2 more days until it got back to its normal texture, and that was with washing it every day as usual. Then, after about a week, the color had relaxed to a beautiful chestnut brown that I just loved. The color stayed on my hair for 6 weeks without fading any further, and I didn't have to re-color until my roots started to show. I used the medium chestnut brown several more times and then I decided to switch to the Persian light brown. The last two times I used henna, I used a half-and-half mix of the chestnut and the light brown, and just this morning I tried the light brown straight. I absolutely love this color. It is my natural color, only richer, and it leaves my hair very shiny and soft. My hair looks as shiny and healthy as when I was in my teens. I am very careful never to heat-style or chemically treat my hair. I'm trying to take good care of it so that, despite its extreme fineness, I can keep it relatively long and in decent shape. The henna, I've heard, is supposed to plump up your hair shaft and make it thicker - or so I've read elsewhere - well, even though I was hoping this would happen for me, I haven't noticed any difference in the thickness of my hair. However, I like this product for the way it colors my hair perfectly and cheaply, and without harsh chemicals, and the brilliant shine is worth it all by itself. It is manageable and feels very well-conditioned. I recommend this product to others and I will definitely keep using it. The only reason I might switch to another brand is if I find another brand of henna that is better at thickening the hair. That is the only reason that I gave this product a 4 and not a 5.

on 2/14/2013 2:44:00 PM

I used this product for the first time last night and so far I am pretty happy with it. I tried the Persian Light Brown, mixed with coffee and 1 egg. It was super messy but nice not to smell the intense chemical smell of regular hair color. It was hard to apply, like thick mud, but I think next time I'll just add more liquid. I wrapped my head with plastic wrap and a towel and left it on for 1 hour. The color is very natural looking and my hair is shiny. Not red at all. Maybe the coffee helped that. We'll see how long it lasts....prob won't last long but either does regular hair color and I can color again in 4 weeks. All in all, much better than chemical hair color and a great price.

on 11/15/2012 8:22:00 PM

So after reading tons of reviews and doing tons of research, I took the plunge. I bought the persian mahogany one. I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. I bought this 2 weeks ago and its been hanging around my bathroom, just waiting to be used!! I sifted it first as I had read that it can have twigs or trash in the powder and then I mixed it up , with probably close to a 1 1/2 cups of Red Zinger tea, a tsp of coconut oil, a splash of lemon juice, covered the pasty mess with cling wrap and let it sit on my desk overnight for close to 12 hrs. ( all of those directions are not on the container itself), I found to be weird that all other hennas suggest leaving it for its color to fully oxidize, so I follow other directions and did that. When I got to it this morning I could tell a difference in the color or the mix, but have read it to be normal to turn a brown orangey tint. So I took it to kitchen heated a little bit of the red zinger tea to loosen the mix a bit, added a tbs of plain full fat yogurt and a dash of ground clove and cinnamon just for the smell factor. Then I brought the mix to my bath room laid a towel down on the floor and counter, gloved up and literally slopped it on my head all over, covered it in 2 rounds of cling wrap, a shower cap and then a towel and sat with it in my hair for a good 3 1/2 hrs. Rinising it was like washing mud out of my hair not a problem, just added some conditioner and it rinsed right out. Did a deep conditioning treatment and then blow dryed. Its quiet lovely a very deep brown with red. I am really pleased with the results and will be using it again. I am glad I found this site and read these reviews first, because it prepared me for what was too come. The clean up was easy peasy, if you want to take the plunge and go natural give it a try, don't let negative reviews discourage you, everyone nor every head of hair is the same.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Besides the red henna, these other ones aren't actually henna because there's no such things as "black" or "blonde" henna. Those would be indigo or cassia. I would have been fine with that, but another problem is that this henna's quality is very poor. I tried it (the Mohagany kind) as my first henna/hair color experience before, unfortunately, I researched all of this. The directions are all wrong, too. The Rainbow directions advised just to mix it with a cup of water or tea (which is way too little and makes it doughy) and then apply it for about an hour. What you're really supposed to do is mix it with about 1-1/4 cups of tea (or coffee depending on the color you want,) about 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and a tsp. of oil. Then, you have to let the dye set for a few hours if you want it to work, which Rainbow never specified. Lastly, Rainbow said to keep it on for an hour, but you're really supposed to keep it on for at least 3! When I used the Rainbow kind, the change wasn't noticeable. I had maybe a few reddish highlights...maybe. Also, it dried my hair out and was REALLY hard to rinse out--full of twigs! I bought some henna at an Indian grocery called Mehandi, I think. It was wonderful! I followed the real directions and now have soft, RED hair :) I love it! It doesn't smell bad like Rainbow, either, and it was very easy to rinse. I'm sure the Rainbow wouldn't be so bad if you followed the proper directions, but it just didn't work for me. Plus, it was about $8, and the Mehandi was only $2.99! I definitely recommend better quality henna. You'll get a wonderful red color!

on 8/27/2012 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is the only brand of henna I have ever tried, so I can't compare it to other brands. I have tried two colors: neutral and one of the blondes (most likely marigold blonde because of the intense gold color). The blonde one added too much yellow/gold/green to my hair so I wouldn't buy it again. The Neutral is misleading because it is NOT neutral; it is made of cassia, which is blonde/gold. It will add a bit of gold to your hair, especially if it is light.

When I make it, I mix only half the container, which is about 55 grams. The recommended amount for my hair length is probably 200 grams. I would use more but it is so expensive. You can find this at Whole Foods, or cheaper online (I can recommend a place to buy it if you message me)
I mix the cassia with warm filtered water, and then I added a bit of honey and olive oil. There are a lot of things you can add as conditioning agents or color boosters, just do an internet search for what is best for your hair color.

I let the mixture sit for about 2 hours and then left it on my hair for about 1 hour 45 minutes. My hair color is naturally a dark-medium blonde, which gets lighter in the sun. So the top layer of my hair, which sees a lot of sun, is lighter than the bottom. The cassia seems to brighten (but not lighten) the dark areas, as well as add a tad of color to the light strands to give me a more blended look. I would highly recommend the "neutral" color to anyone. It's subtle enough that it won't mess up your own color, it just gives you a boost. If you are not sure about changing your color, go for the neutral. Also, my hair came out thicker, shinier, and softer. I love the grassy smell, which lingers in my hair. I have done the cassia treatment only a handful of times in the past, but I hope to keep experimenting with it.

EDIT I am going to have to take a lippie off of this product because the powder is so grainy. When I mix it, it is like applying wet sand to my hair, and I doubt that I am getting all of the good benefits of cassia with that kind of application. Next time I will try buying a higher quality cassia to compare it to. I put a photo of the results in my profile. continued >>

on 8/20/2012 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I've been using the med brown color for about 6 months. The trick with henna...I believe... is the mix, if you like to bake you might like using henna ;-)
So...I get a nice golden brown with reddish highlights. I use earl gray tea to mix, add 1 tea of cinnamon, and 2 tbs each ACV and grapeseed oil. IT IS A MESS...but because I love the color I created (get compliments after every freshen) I deal with the mess. The reason I gave this brand only four lippies is b/c of all the twigs and chaff...I get tired of rinsing all that junk out!