October 23, 2014 | 933 users online

Fragrances - Parfums Weil - Eau de Fraicheur

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 1:44:00 AM More reviews by elfriede

When I searched online for the notes of Eau de Fraicheur, I learned that it has been reformulated, "upgraded with a hint of fruity green." I am certain that the bottle I purchased contains the older formula--I don't detect any orange, mandarin, or neroli, and it is decidedly not fruity. The box I purchased is quite retro with clashing seventies-style colors--navy, turquoise, and sage green on a white background.

(I have seen the new bottles online--the new boxes are purplish blue.)

The original version of Eau de Fraicheur (first released in 1961) seems very "old-school" and unlikely to appeal to modern tastes. It's not a fresh citrus on top; it's dry and green, with a hint of bitter-clean aldehyde. The floral heart is powdery, clean, and neither sweet nor feminine (this is marketed as a unisex scent). The base has soft, dry vetiver and a slightly fizzy white musk. Each stage of the fragrance is very dry and abstract--this is not a "natural" scent--and evokes whiteness, from the starched laundry on top, to the powdery white floral heart, to the white musk in the base.

I quite enjoy this version, although I don't wear it often. I usually want something fresher or sweeter. But it's a great change of pace--and there's something about this that makes me want to dress smarter and sit up straighter. Assuming I found another bottle as inexpensive as this one, I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase either version.

Part of me is sorry to see the old version go--there aren't many fragrances like it out there anymore. Part of me suspects I'd like the new one better!

Reformulated version:
Fruity green top: bergamot, neroli, lemon, coriander, orange, mandarin, marjolaine [marjoram]
Floral heart: orange blossom, muguet, rose, jasmine
Woody base: cedar, vetiver, musk