October 25, 2014 | 1667 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Vaseline - Pure Petroleum Jelly

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

This is the only thing that will cure a severe case of chapped lips, chapped skin, wind burn, and overly dry skin for me. I always have some on hand and my prefered one is their cocoa butter one.

This is what I use for my rosacea in winter when its so bad nothing is working. This will instantly calm it down and restore the skin in a day to levels I can deal with. When my under eye area becomes overly dry in winter and begins getting raw I use this over some eye cream and the next morning it's fixed.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by alexiseptember

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'd like to preface this review by saying petroleum jelly is a ZERO ON THE COMEDOGENIC SCALE, as is MINERAL OIL. It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY you will experience a breakout from it. The only thing that poses a concern for the acne prone with Vaseline is that it's packaged in a jar, which is unhygienic and my only problem with the product.

Additionally, it is an OCCLUSIVE, not a HUMECTANT. This means it prevents water loss through the skin- it TRAPS HYDRATION, but DOESN'T ADD HYDRATION.

On to the review: best thing ever. I apply the tiniest bit post-cleansing to dry skin and bear the greasiness. It's worth the super smooth face in the morning. If my skin is extra dry, I dab it on OVER moisturizer.

I apply it nightly to my lips and haven't seen them chapped in years.

Rub some on your legs after a shave and wake up with awesome soft skin.

Open toed shoes? Vaseline + fuzzy socks + a good night's sleep = great feet.

Hard to remove makeup? A little Vaseline on a cotton pad and you're ready to cleanse. Nothing else gets off lipstain so well.

Vaseline is a huge part of my beauty routine. I always have a tub on standby!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2014 10:33:00 AM More reviews by imminentfate

I have really dry and acne-prone skin and I'm currently treating it with a BHA, benzoyl peroxide and tretinoin. My skin gets extremely dry and flaky and I was really really hoping that this would be my magic bullet. I tried it over a few days and nights and here are my pros/cons:

Pros:
- Reduced the flaking quite a bit. Didn't totally eliminate the flakiness but I did notice a considerable reduction.
- Very cheap and easily accessible

Cons:
- Jar packaging is very unhygenic, I had to use cotton bues to get the product out.
- Majorly clogged my pores! Obviously this a big deal. I got a pimple in a part of my face where i NEVER broke out and not-so-coincidentally it was the part where I'd slathered on the most vaseline. Pores were also super cloggy. In addition, I put this around my eyes to use as an eye cream and it also clogged my pores there smh. So yeah, hell no.

In sum, I don't think this is necessarily a bad product. Many people need a strong occlusive and so do I. This really isn't just the product for me. Going to try mineral oil next, wish me luck!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

Nice all purpose skin protectant and moisturizer.
I like to use this on my feet during summer time or anything actually. I put it on my elbows or any dry patches I get, and it also works as a lip balm. I have since stopped buying the smiths rosebud salve and replaced it with the new scented versions of this. Works better I think and I get a TON more for my money not to mention I have tin to fight with to get the product out

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2014 8:50:00 AM More reviews by olives5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

even though apparently this isn't the healthiest or most environmentally friendly product (it is a petroleum oil derivative) it really is useful. I use it around my ankles, knees and elbows before self tanning so those areas don't get too dark, and if you knick yourself shaving you can dab it on to stop the bleeding. I wouldn't use this as a lip balm long term however because it can cause collagen deteroration but its definitely something to have on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 12:08:00 AM More reviews by heyimsabrinaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A W E S O M E
I've been religiously using this for around 2 years now and will probably never stop using
Only product that works on my lips! I've tried all too many lip balms just to be disappointed but vaseline always does the job.
Packaging kinda sucks but im used to it by now, only semi-bad thing about this is all the weird looks I get when people see me casually take out a tub of vaseline from my purse for my lips haha but its all good. Definitely worth it! Recommend x10

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by ShailjaVashisht

Vaseline petroleumn jelly is the cheapest solution to most skin worries. It can be used to cure cracked heels and chapped lips. Also, sometimes I use it to remove makeup. I have also heard that people use it to treat mature skin as well. You can check more details here: Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Review continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've tried a myriad of lip balms but always come back to this! It's the only product that soothes my dry lips! I apply it every night before bed and have smooth lips in the morning. Love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a staple product for me. I've used it for everything for a few years now and it's great!

-i use this to remove my eye makeup, it takes off eyeshadow, liner, mascara and all! I have noticed since I started using this to remove eyemakeup that my eyelashes have been in much better condition! they've gotten a bit longer and fuller. with some makeup wipes i have to rub at my eye too much and sometimes a few lashes come out, vaseline is so much easier. i asked my doctor if it's safe to use on the eyes and he said yes!
-i also use this on my lips before bed on really cold nights. prevents them from getting chapped and dried.
-i use this on my feet and then put socks on them for bed and my feet are so soft!
-great to use right out of the shower as well, it locks in so much moisture!
-you can get vaseline literally anywhere! CVS, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens ect.
-no breakouts, no irritation, and no reactions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by staci01

Recently I moved from the rainy Pacific Northwest to the crazy cold East Coast. My skin has been going haywire with the cold weather, dry indoor heat and the well water we have to use in the shower and sink. In the past few months my skin has become so dry and I've been getting more fine lines which is scary to me. Because of this I've been slapping more moisturizers on my skin and it seems what worked on the West Coast is not working as well out here. I've tried coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, sesame oil, macadamia oil , etc. and none seem to be helping. My usual shea butter works ok but it's not enough to seal moisture into my skin. So because of this I started eyeballing the tub of Vaseline I've had laying around in my first aid supplies. I grew up with this stuff since my mother worked in the medical field and I remember going to school as a child with a little tub of this in my backpack. I dare say it was my first shiny lipgloss! After much reading I decided to use this on my face a few weeks ago. Washed my face really well, applied a toner with antibacterial ingredients (due to my skin breaking out easily) and then a thin layer of Vaseline that had be been mixed with a little water. I woke up the next morning with my skin looking plump and my fine lines GREATLY reduced and my lips looking amazing! I've been having problems with constant chapped lips since December and nothing I've applied has been working. Argan oil, my HG Sundog Naked lip balm, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild moisturizer in the tin, shea butter , etc. The Vaseline healed my lips up in TWO DAYS!!! I went from crocodile skin to baby butt smooth, and healed, skin in two days! AMAZING!
Here is my gripe though. I used petroleum jelly, Walgreen's brand, for this. Doesn't taste or smell funny. Then this weekend I bought a back up tub of Vaseline brand petroleum jelly and it was problematic. Firstly , the smell. I could detect immediately that the Vaseline had an odor and since I know petroleum jelly comes from oil refining the fact that the Vaseline had a distinct odor was a red flag. After I applied a bit to my lips I noticed immediately it had a chemical TASTE that was not pleasant. Thirdly after 10 - 15 minutes I started feeling nauseous from the smell and the taste of the Vaseline. My stomach started to flip flop a bit and I had to remove it from my lips. I find this odd and a bit freaky. I am not 100% against products that are mineral oil based cause honestly the stuff works and when you need something that works, and don't have money to toss around, then you need something that is reliable. I DO though have an issue with a product , in this case the Vaseline brand petroleum jelly, that smells and tastes funny and makes me feel unwell. So I'm a fan of Walgreens petroleum jelly/vaseline but not the Vaseline brand petroleum jelly. I call Walgreen's petroleum jelly Vaseline also cause the brand is iconic and everyone knows what you mean when you say it. So five lippies for Walgreens brand petroleum jelly/Vaseline but not Vaseline brand. Sad cause I've read that Vaseline brand is the best and the safest if you're going to buy petroleum jelly. Will stick to Walgreen's brand.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No