Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris

4.4

on 7/4/2014 12:42:00 PM

At last, a beautiful dry woody iris perfume with no powder. I feel it has a kinship with the Gobin-Daude perfumes because the wood is so prominent and remains dry and desert-like, with only the flower adding its heady animalic sweetness, not added sugar or powder. Though the notes blend in a creamy accord, they are stand-out: you can pick them out if you really try. I love iris perfumes and wear them often. I usually wear The Different Company's Bois d'Iris - I have been wearing it very often since 2005! However, this VC&A is the new favorite and I will probably be wearing it for years (and many bottles) to come. Sillage is moderate, it stays close. It lasts many hours on me - like 6 to 8. It starts much the way it dries down! This doesn't morph on me, it's just gorgeous from start to finish, without a long story about top, middle and basenotes.

on 2/28/2013 11:38:00 AM

A very kinky and sensual iris and amber composition, very spicy and yet sweet, perfectly suitable for both sexes. "Bois D'Iris" has it all - it is very classy, the quality is amazing and the scent is so inviting and sensual that I simply cannot keep my nose off my wrist. The silage is very close to skin, but that's how it should be - such a kinky scent shouldn't be loud, it should be noticeable only for those who get close enough.

A perfect scent for intimate gatherings or simply for days one wants to stay mysterious and alluring to others. On my wishlist it goes. One of my favorite Iris scents together with D600 by Carner Barcelona.

on 12/11/2011 7:18:00 AM

Notes: sweet notes, frankincense, iris, driftwood, vetiver, ambergris, labdanum, myrrh and vanilla.

This fragrance opens with a peppery, green iris note under which I detect a smooth, powdery base. This base slowly rises to the top and engulfs the peppery-green quality of the orris. What I see reminds me at first of Iris Bleu Gris (smooth, powdery) and Iris Silver Mist (peppery, green) combined, but once the notes have settled in my skin I see a cousin of Infusion d'Iris. There is a smooth woodsy base in the same vein, a dash of resins and balms to add elegance and polish and last but definitely not least the same silky orris note at the heart of the composition. Bois d'iris, however, is less fresh and vibrant than Infusion d'Iris, as it does not contain any citrus notes; in fact the nose has focused more on sweet and vanilla-like notes. Despite this, Bois d'Iris is not a gourmand scent like Iris Ganache. The woodsy base becomes stronger and more prominent as the fragrance progresses, as does the myrrh which I can now see as a separate entity (as opposed to a resinous harmony with labdanum, frankincense and ambergris) enveloping the woods and orris root. Having smelled my fair share of iris scents, I am now sure that Heeley's Iris de Nuit is its sibling. They are very much alike, but whilst Iris de Nuit is sparkly excitement, Bois d'Iris is smooth serenity. Lasts six hours on my skin.

on 11/2/2011 9:03:00 AM

This review must be taken with a grain of skepticism; I am not among the iris aesthetes. I wish I were. I wish I had the nose to smell all the palely loitering iris fragrances out there and distinguish minutely among them, exclaiming in cool, delicate phrases.

But alas, I am an iris peasant. My Worth Je Reviens makes me perfectly happy, even the cheapest of the modern reformulations. If I need any variation on that cool, delicate, moon-y mood, well then, SMN's musky, bright, summer iris is fine. As if that weren't heresy enough, I really think the only thing that could accurately be called "iris" is the grapey iris of Molinard's soliflore line, except you want to waft a little of their lily over it to really get the yard effect. Everything else is more properly iris ROOT, not iris flower.

If you have not yet moved off in disgust from this review, I'll say that I didn't like VCA's Bois d'Iris. I wanted to. I tried. I even ended up, somehow, with two different decants. But VCA's BdI is sweet, barely there, musk, then licorice to my nose. And I do NOT like licorice, especially when it's pretending to be an iris.

on 5/10/2011 8:53:00 AM

Divine ! Divine ! Divine !
I love this scent, it is my favourite iris perfume. A very soft and refined iris is accompanied by soft woods. Breezy like a walk on a beautiful beach. The slightly sweet note is the sun that shines.

When I wear this my mood instantly improves and I feel like being on holiday. It cannot get any better than this.

Too bad this wonderful masterpiece is rather hard to find.

on 1/19/2011 2:07:00 PM

This smells quite incensey, it really reminds me of a Nepalese type of incense that I have in my collection, which is made of a powdered mixture of different woods and "stuff".., this has been rolled up into thin paper which is then twirled into strings.When burned, this produces a dry, soft incense smell with a slight "burning-rice-paper-note". Another distinctive note in the base, is the for this brand obviously typical or probably signature vanilla, it is not a gourmand vanilla but more of a flat and waxy vanilla, which i already encountered in the Orchidee Vanille scent of this line, and which is NOT how i usually like my vanilla. However, in this scent, this type of vanilla suits probably much better than a full-bodied Guerlain type of vanilla, which would smother and overpower the soft incense. All in all, an intriguing very dry soft incense scent with a waxy vanilla base. Something that is reminiscent of iris is perceptible but not dominant, which i guess lies in the innate nature of iris..

on 10/27/2010 12:46:00 PM

It's exactly as everyone has said. The quality is fragile, light, airy, sweet, uplifting. The notes are dry and subtle: iris and woods. It's beautiful, but it's quiet and contemplative...not for showoffery. There are no off-notes, no chemical headaches, no cheapness...it is a quality experience. It's like light winds on a sandy summer island..an edge of soulfulness there too.

on 6/24/2010 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

adore that!!!!!!the best fragrance i have had so far!! i grew up in the town on the seashore on the South and this smell reminds me of my shildhood so mush! i feel cosy and calm in that! just beautiful!

on 4/17/2010 12:54:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Love, love, love Bois d'Iris. It is a wonderfully crafted high quality scent that has a casual elegance about it. At first spritz I smell soft beach wood and salt but the iris appears and brings a well balanced powdery calming component. It doesn't scream, but rather murmurs it's beauty to you throughout the day. I have had women I walk by stop me and say "You smell amazing, what are you wearing?" Also the staying power is amazing. I spray it on in the morning and can still smell it after a full work day. I love scents and it is hard for me to commit to one long term, but Bois d'Iris is one that I always want to have on my vanity table. The price tag is high, but the scent is well worth it.

on 4/16/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a beautiful, quality scent. It is indeed a woody iris, tastefully done. The quality materials are very evident. I personally prefer sweeter florals and therefore purchased the amazing Gardenia Petale from this collection (which is really awesome and one of the few actually deserving of its high price). If my finances were unlimited, I would perhaps this as well. It is very elegant and refined. It reminded me alot of some of Chanel's les exclusifs.

Popular Fragrances