September 1, 2014 | 2109 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Vetiver - vintage 1959

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 8:49:00 AM More reviews by smellthis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the vintage/pre-reformulated Guerlain Vetiver [rectangular bottle, small square green label in center, straw color juice].

Stunning. A beautiful, sunny masterpiece.

This version is less dry and acidic than the iteration in the frosted bottle (which has thankfully been discontinued but will live on forever on eBay).

It opens with a citrus blast; photorealistic lemon and bergamot followed in short order by notes of pepper, nutmeg and a wonderful grassy, earthy vetiver. It's sparkling and fresh - without use of any ozonic or artificial 'clean' notes. Longevity is great. I can easily detect it on my skin 8/9 hours later. Hearing the fragrance was inspired by the scent of a gardner is no surprise - in fact, it's perfect.

It's pure class in a bottle and even though it's been long discontinued, I've acquired a lifetime supply (TWELVE 3.4 ounce bottles and SIX 6.8 ounce all over body shampoos!) because I don't ever want to be without it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by mermaid1962

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review for L'Instant Magic...I can't seem to find it anywhere in the reviews section? I adore this! I don't care so much for the original Guerlain L'Instant so I this was a big surprise for me to enjoy this one as much as I do. Infact, I decided to make it my wedding day fragrance. Also when I've worn it, I've received lots of compliments...once a woman followed me and made me write the name of this scent down for her so she could find it. She said she could stand and breathe me in all day! :) How nice was that?!! I love that it smells a little almondy and powdery.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 4:14:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

First, this is a review of Guerlain Vetiver pour Homme Eau de Cologne, vintage around 1960. Second, I don't care what notes Fragrantica, Perfume Intelligencer, anyone puts in for this. Here is what I smell: lemon (ok, I smelled lime, but I'm not perfect with this so I'll say lemon), soft soapy musk (Egyptian type), vetiver, sandalwood, dry green herb (coriander?), oakmoss(?).

Now, the gestalt: a smellalike for L'Artisan's Santal, and that is a huge compliment. Yes, I realize this came first, which is also a very interesting factoid. I also realize that the "notes" officially listed for the vintage version of this do not include sandalwood or musk. I have a little investigating to do. My decant came from a friend and it has all manner of label stating it is Guerlain Vetiver 1960's vintage. Still, I'll go to Sephora and try the 2000 re-issue. If I can, I'll get another sourced sample to compare. And I'll do a side-by-side to make sure this isn't mislabeled L'Artisan Santal. But right now I'm sticking to this story: the decant clearly labeled Guerlain Vetiver pour Homme EDC is a complete smellalike for L'Artisan's Santal and was probably the inspiration for it, whether Santal's creator realized it or not.

It opens in a soft, elegant waft of Egyptian musk-y, soapy musk with a top of dry citric (I smelled lime but it may be the combo of green herbal and lemon), a heart of dry green herbal/oakmossy chypre not unlike #19, Vent Vert, Ma Griffe, etc's Green Gang note, and an under note of dry green vetiver (as opposed to the smoky vetiver) and sandalwood. It is medium sillage in the EDC so it must be Big Sillage in edt. The drydown opens out the dry green notes, musk, and vetiver, and midway through this begins to turn into a cousin of Ma Griffe, but does not loose the beautiful soapy musk. Stunning.

EDIT: I've checked a more modern version. While the newer Vetiver is a little more citric, my EDC is indeed vintage Guerlain Vetiver, and both vintage and new are smellalikes for the increasingly impossible to get L'Artisan Santal. Oh Frabjous Day!