March 1, 2015 | 1149 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2015 1:34:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

HG Luminizer. Had been using NARS Albatross for some time but this is much softer and better as an everyday option. Doesn't break me out either! Win win win.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2015 3:53:00 PM More reviews by snoepje

How lovely of TheBalm to have branched out to Belgium! Their products have been selling out QUICK at drugstores here, and for good reason.

Mary Lou-Manizer has really become my HG highlighter. No chunks of glitter, just a nice champagne hue that catches the light in just the right amount, as long as you don't go overboard with application. I've also taken to using it in the inner corner of my eyes to brighten them up.

Price-wise, it does come in at 19 euros, which may be expensive for a drugstore product... But I can't imagine anyone ever going through more than one of these throughout their life; there is just SO much product and it is so intensely pigmented. All I do is tap a brush in the pan, knock off the excess, and it's more than enough to last me a day.

Truly worth the money, although (as with all of their products) the packaging certainly caters to a specific taste.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2015 11:42:00 PM More reviews by classicfilmbroad

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a wonderful product! I received it in a BirchBox and managed to lose the sample that I so dearly loved. It, along with NARS Albatross, has become my HG highlighter. (Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color in High Beam White is next.) The box describes it as a honey-hued luminizer, but I actually find it to be somewhat more of a champagne color. It can be used as a highlighter, shadow, or shimmer, but I mostly just use it as a highlighter for my cheeks, bride of nose, in between Cupid's Bow, and along the top of my cheekbones. It gives your skin a nice, dewy look without actually being oily. It works well with my skin and lasted as long as it could considering I was standing on the beach in July in a Maid of Honor dress, sweating like a pig. :) At any rate, I just repurchased it, and I encourage everyone to do the same! I did the bride's make-up and she LOVED this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2015 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Mimiq

Lovely packaging, a warm champagne glow, finely milled....I'm glad I spent money to buy this product. It lights up my face on dull days and I just love looking into the mirror to check out the glow it gives. A must buy for every girl.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2015 4:10:00 PM More reviews by jenntasticx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I was on the search for a good highlighter and I heard a lot of people raving about this on youtube. So naturally i decided to go buy it to try it out and OMG it gives one of the glows on your cheek bones ever! and it lasts pretty long on my oily skin which is pretty impressive as well. Plus the packaging is so cute!! and it doesn't feel cheap like some of the drugstore ones do!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2015 10:55:00 PM More reviews by StinaBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I live for this! Even on my NC42-NC44 skin (44 in the summer months).

I've read reviews complaining about this not giving off enough color and I've not wanted to buy this because of that. But then I caved when I saw this on Hautelook for 50% off. I just had to.

I've tried it on my eyes:
Awesome as a light wash of color with a little bronzer in the crease and some red lips.
Beautiful inner corner highlight. It's brighten everything up and really attracts a lot of light.
On the brow bone I prefer a matte highlight, but placed right below the highest point of my arch and I get so much more lift!

On my face:
I have combo/oily skin, so I DO NOT apply this to the bridge of my nose. But on the highest points of my cheek, with a fan brush and I get the most beautiful sheen. I don't get color, but I've learned that a highlight on my cheek isn't about color. For color use a blush.

This product is all about achieving GLOW. I feel like, when I look in the mirror (in pictures too!) I look glowy. Very J.Lo-esque. I've always felt I did a decent job on my makeup, but this highlight has definitly made my application look even more polished and "tied together."

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2015 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Aminsat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Alright, so in the past when I've disliked a product other people rave about, I try it again from time to time to see if I was doing something wrong and 90% of the time I still hate it. Well, this is not one of those times. *blush!

When I first tried Mary-Lou Manizer (luminizer - I only got the play on words a few weeks ago! :P ), I was a little new to highlighters and I'm pretty sure I applied way too much. What I didn't realize was that this powder works best when it's hardly detectable face-on. So basically, what I said it didn't do is exactly what it does do well - it gives a warm, my-skin-but-glowing effect. This is usually my last step of makeup and it's like a healthy boost. I swirl it on my cheekbones, the lower bridge of my nose, above my lip and voila! I know there is a PF product already named happy booster but that's a great name for this highlighter. It reminds my of a pinup girl's cheeks.

I think this needs to be applied with a fan brush or a delicate stippling brush and should be detectable when you shift your face or smile. It's has a warmth that really charms you up (lol) when you're dull. I would describe it as a neutral-warm champagne. It's really crept its way to being my number one highlighter (among many). Bah! I hate it when I'm wrong!

And it's been said but major kudos to the package designer/artist! Mary & Betty-Lou and the whole line are just so absolutely cheeky! I bought this at a large Rexall for approx $38 CAD. It hurt.

I've purchased many a highlighter in the last while. It's one product that makes me squee when I test it out and I have a few favourites that each perform differently. I've detailed them below the best way I can and how they compare to Mary-Lou.

~ COMPARISONS ~
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal ~ is a stunning true champagne whereas I would describe MLM as a subtle warm champagne. It comes in cream form that can be used over or under foundation and is great for cheekbones. It's rather reflective and can be pretty intense so you must blend it properly. It's not as forgivable as MLM and it's expensive.

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal Pressed ~ same colour as the cream but in powder. It's great quality and similar consistency to MLM (maybe more silky). It's neutral and a tad more shiny than MLM so it can be quite elegant (rather than sweet) and is seamless. Expensive.

Benefit High Beam ~ this one is just a fun highlight! It's a pearly pink cream that's like a light bulb for your face but less natural than MLM. I dot it on to my cheekbones and blend, blend, blend. It's dolly cutesy and doe-eyed.

MAC Soft & Gentle ~ this used to be my fave but others have surpassed it in quality. It's a chunky metallic champagne and definitely the most glittery of the group (but not so across the market). If applied heavily, it's kinda garish and "made-up" but if blended it's not bad.

Sephora MicroSmooth in Stardust or NARS Albatross (the 2 are pretty much identical) ~ this is the gilded Egyptian goddess! It's white gold and I can see it being worn to clubs or for a sexy evening look. Sexy-exotic glow not sweet-girl glow. ;)

For reference, I'm MAC NC35 NARS Stromboli.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 11:59:00 PM More reviews by joanne150406

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is by far one of my favourite items in my makeup kit and the best highlighter I have used (and I have used a few from NARS, MAC, ELF, Tarte etc). The glow you can get from this product is AMAZING and I have got compliments on my skin quite a few times - it makes you look FLAWLESS. I never used to use highlighters until a couple years ago (and I was initially sceptical of whether this would make much of a difference) and this has changed my makeup routine. I use this lightly on top of my foundation, bronzer/blush on the top of my cheekbones - and it just makes my skin pop so much more.

I find the golden creamy tone of the highlighter is so flattering and blends into my light to medium coloured skin (NC25/C3 in MAC). It is so pigmented unlike some other highlighters I have tried but there is still so much product in the pan that it lasts ages so it is so worth the buy!

I have repurchased this because I broke it accidentally when I dropped it on the ground and realised I couldn't live without it over a period of a week. This is HG status for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 8:18:00 PM More reviews by deniserocks

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is without a doubt the best highlighter ever. NOT sparkly, just glowing, and a good price too. Works great on my combination skin to give me back that glow I had in my 20's! ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2015 7:29:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

AH-MAY-ZING! I cannot believe I waited so long to buy this! For some reason I always skipped over this highlighter for something else even though I have always wanted it... I finally got it and I am very, very happy I did. This is now my HG highlighter, hands down. NO glitter, just a glow, even in the bright sunlight. Most of the highlighters I have used have been too yellow gold for my liking. This is a beautiful champagne colour and blends into my skin beautifully. Price was NZ$34 which is a fair price for this. Packaging is beautiful too.