October 24, 2014 | 1549 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - White Chocolate 111

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by fallenangel97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used this color a couple of times. Instead of the light blonde on the box, it turns my hair darker and greyish. I think Garnier puts a little too much ash in their cooler hair colors, because I also used Lightest Cool Blonde from their Olia line and it did the same thing. I bet it works well if your hair is darker or very brassy, but if your hair is already light and very porous like mine, I wouldn't reccomend it unless you want a darker, greyish color. I might actually use it touch up my roots, which are dark blonde/light brown naturally and always turn brassy. Hopefully it'll make my roots a light silvery blonde color, and I'll update this review if it works for that.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2014 7:45:00 AM More reviews by camilka

I wanted to go from my natural medium brown to dark ash blonde.
When dyeing my hair before it has always turned red even when using ash colors. I must have very strong red undertones in my natural hair, but they never show up until dyed.

If you want to go MEDIUM BROWN ----> DARK BLONDE I thing this will work wonderfully if you have normal hair (not alien-like red undertones). It lightened my hair to a nice dark blonde level.

My hair is a dark blonde with slight brassiness until I step into the sun: COPPER!

I do see the ashy tones here and there. I will try it again in a few weeks with a 10 VOL developer and see if the red goes away. I might add ardell red gold and try Revlon color creme 1002.
I will update!

UPDATE july 12
Used WELLA COLOR CHARM T14 silver lady. Red tones are gone. Yellow tones very prominent. Will try T18 next week. Stay tuned.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:02:00 AM More reviews by lovechop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok you guys. I have used makeupalley for years but signed up today because I used this hairdye last night and I felt like I had to obligation to let the world know! This is the best drugstore hairdye I have ever used to neutralize brassiness. I have been dying my hair since highschool and have been blonde for much of that time. I have used John Freida 9n the last few years but since they changed their formula I just wasn't getting as light as I'd like. It still looked natural and was it pretty and golden (not brassy) but it was a pretty dark blonde and several shades darker than my roots.
So, after much worrying and reading of reviews (like hours) I got white chocolate. I got two boxes in fear that it would be brassy and I'd have to tone with the second box. My roots are soft brown (that mousy brown that little girls who used to be blondey-blonde get as they get older) and I have had major trouble with brassiness with almost every single kind of box hair dye I've ever tried. Except John Freida, it just didn't lighten as much I wanted.
Last night I left on 111 for forty five minutes and just lightly pulled it through the rest of my long already-blonde hair. I got pale cool blonde! I couldn't believe it. No brassines, in fact, it's a little silvery. But, if you know blonde hair dye--having your hair lean silvery instead of orange is a miracle! Yes, my longer strands might be a teeny bit too ashy, but nothing a week or so won't work out all by itself. I just can't believe I didn't have to use a toner. I keep looking in the mirror to make sure I'm not being too optimistic and tricking myself. It really is a pretty soft light blonde. I can't believe it.
So if you're like me and afraid of trying a new drugstore box dye and you have lighter than medium brown hair, this will work! I watched it in the mirror and I could see after 45 minutes that it wasn't going to go lighter.
There are some bad reviews here but I sense that those people might not have had a lot of experience with DIY hairdye, so if you've been at it for awhile, fear not!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by mayzeemae1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is THE BEST BLONDE DYE AROUND! I totally screwed up my hair with Henna (trying to use "natural"), and have been trying to get it out. My hair was neon orange at a point...lol! This has made my hair look "normal". Like a "normal" blonde!!! YEAH!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by jembon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally dark blonde and I constantly keep it in some state of dyed/highlighted light blonde. It pulls orange VERY easily so I am constantly fighting that (Shimmer Lights purple conditioner is my savior). This hair color was surprisingly great: good price, fine packaging (nothing special but easy to use), and was probably the best single-process home hair color I've ever used in terms of not turning orange. I followed the directions exactly (10 minutes on mid to ends before applying to roots and waiting another 20 minutes) and only got the slightest brassiness at the roots. The rest of the hair was beautifully cool and beige-blonde. I used my Shimmer Lights conditioner on the roots to tone down that bit of brassiness, and it looks great! My hair felt soft and well-conditioned afterwards. Will absolutely repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2013 8:51:00 AM More reviews by kim080464

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wanted to write this review in hopes of maybe helping someone else.

I have been getting expensive highlights for years. My hair is mostly blonde (from highlighting) but I have dark roots. My hair is naturally a med. to light brown.

so here is the important part. This dye comes with a 30 vol developer. This means it will only lift or lighten your hair 3 levels. Google a hair level chart and find what level you are. Count three shades down and this is what a 30 volume will do. my level is probably a 4 medium brown. So a 30 volume will only lighten me to a 7 medium blond. btw: I am not a hair professional. I just did some research after my hair turned a yucky color of gold using this hair dye. What I didn't understand was I probably needed a 40 vol and possibly should have checked Sally's beauty first. Box dyes are very misleading!

be careful and good luck!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 6:26:00 PM More reviews by SupaMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I got the random impulse to bleach my red hair back to ash blonde, and only had this hair dye available, as I didn't have my trusty wells t18 toner on hand. I had a lot of underlying peach/ red tones close to my roots, so I had my doubts that they would be covered, as they where quite strong. However I was totally wrong! White chocolate turned them into a lovely dark ash blonde and the rest of my hair a light ash blonde. It's actually a shade close to the box, but it took two bleachings to get it this color. It's hard to find in my local drug stores so I might have to go back to Sally's, but if I ever stumble upon it again I will definitely purchase! You won't be disappointed if you use it. :)
EDIT: This color was a bit too light (almost white) for my tastes so I opted for something darker. However if thats your cup of tea go for it! lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Cookie1986

I love this hair color. My natural color is a dark blonde and always turns RED or strawberry when I lighten it at home. I loved getting highlights at the salon but they were getting expensive and I really wanted an all over blonde color! But no colorist would do an all over color on me, they said they would have to double process my hair and it would damage it too much. I didn't want to believe them and I kept trying different brands. I did several strand tests until I decided on this one!
I use the color and fruit oil included in the kit but throw out the developer and use 40 volume instead. 30 volume will lighten 3 shades while 40 lightens 4! I also add a packet of Ardell Unred (I get from Sally's)
The color has a lot of blue in it as it is, but since my hair has a lot of red in it I need to add even more blue and that is why I use the Ardell Unred. If you have dark blonde ashy hair and blue or gray eyes, you might not need to add the unred - do a strand test first.
I left the formula on for 40-45 min and rinsed (no shampoo) and applied the conditioner packet (smells so nice) I was so happy my hair did not turn strawberry or lemon colored.
My hair was dry and really golden the first day. Then I shampooed and conditioned and it toned down to a more natural golden blonde and the texture is as smooth as before I colored it. I've gotten so many compliments on this color. I love it and am so happy :) Remember to do a strand test.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I`ve been using this for years. Mostly the #111 White Chocolate, which is a cooler blonde, to minimize brassyness. I have light/medium brown hair and it is already colored blonde so I only do the roots. After L`Oreal dried my hair out multiple times, I will stick to the Garnier. I really like it, smells nice enough, the conditioner is excellent, and I especially like it when my scalp is irritated as this doesn`t burn the scalp, kinda gentle. It has a Vol 30 peroxide, that lightens 3 levels, so I got an Ion sensitive scalp Vol 40, and just pour the 30 out and swith for a 40. Perfect. I leave it on for 1 hr though! As I mentioned, I only do the roots as it on previously colored hair it might get grayish color (don`t panic if that happenes as after 3-4 washes it disappears!:-) ) Quick, easy to apply, smells nicer than most colors, doesn`t burn. My favorite drugstore brand. (For once in a while overall color I used the #100 Natural blonde shade, and it came out goldish on the roots but beautiful on the already colored lenghts. Just once in a while to refresh color, but after that for the roots I stick to the #111.)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2012 8:01:00 PM More reviews by silverose1209

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow. I am truly impressed. I have been using home hair colors for about 5 or 6 years. Every single one has turned my hair an orangey color at least the first few days. Last product I used was Feria in Starlet. It was ok...
Today I was in a store to buy Starlet and they were out... This product caught my eye. I decided to give it a try.
My natural hair color is a dark ashy blonde. I used Starlet about 5 or 6 weeks ago so had some major roots.

I used this following the instructions. After washing and drying my hair I took a look in the mirror and was truly shocked. Not a hint of orange to be seen. My hair is not as light as the box.. but it is a light to medium natural looking blonde. Perfect! I just did it today so not sure how long it will last.. but I will be repurchasing.. and stocking up!!!!!