November 27, 2014 | 936 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Olay Complete Ageless Skin Renewing UV Lotion SPF 20 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2012 7:39:00 AM More reviews by Enkida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this product. As a daily face moisturizer with reasonable SPF from a drug store, I'm not sure I could do much better than this product. I've been using it for about 4 (summer) months now and with daily outdoor dog walks of 1-2 hours at a time, I haven't noticed my face getting tanned as it usually does in the summertime; in fact I had to switch up foundations recently because my springtime incidental tan from outdoor activities was fading. So as a sunblock, it gets full marks for protection. It doesn't irritate my skin, and it doesn't have that over-obvious sunblock smell that a dedicated sunblock product usually does (though it isn't fragrance free, which is a minus in my book).

As a moisturizer, I suppose it's okay. Parts of my skin are a little drier than usual due to my pregnancy, and this helps keep them moisturized, but it also doesn't clog up my oily T-zone. I haven't noticed any pimples or, more problematic for me, blackheads developing with the use of this product, which is a huge plus. On the other hand, for a moisturizer it feels very heavy and sticky going on; if I didn't care about SPF protection I am absolutely sure I could do better at the drugstore.

The packaging is fantastic, in that I love opaque bottles that protect potentially light sensitive products, and I love pumps because they're hygenic and easy to use. I have had no clogging problems with the pump at all, and I use this daily.

The reason I don't give this full marks is because of the finish it leaves on my skin. As stated above, it feels a little sticky and heavy going on, less than sunblock but more than moisturizer - and the result is a slightly whitish cast to my medium-tan face, and a general glistening look as though I have been sweating. Not a dewy or sparkly or otherwise well moisturized look, just a plain old sweat-shine-without-the-redness-of-exertion look. I generally let it sit on my face for ten minutes to half an hour before applying anything else to ensure the effectivity of the sunblock, and while the sticky, heavy feeling and whitish cast does fade with time, the shine simply does not. Without at the very least a face powder to dust over this, it would be unwearable for me - I'd look like I was constantly sweating. The good news is that as a base under makeup it works well - the shine doesn't pop through either my mineral powder or my water-based liquid foundation, and the "stickiness" fades with either time or whatever you might layer on top of your moisturizer. Still, it's annoying to me that you can't simply slap this on and go, if you're not interested in wearing makeup.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend using this as a mix with any kind of concealer or foundation or whatnot before application - you're paying the relatively high drugstore price here for the sunblock in this product, not the moisturizer. Mixing any kind of sunblock with any kind of other product before you apply it to your skin (as well as not letting it absorb properly into your skin) generally reduces its effectiveness and protection, so it would be like throwing that extra money out the window.

I will finish what I have, and since I wear makeup daily, I'm not displeased with this product, but I wouldn't buy it again unless I had no other alternatives. It's an excellent sunblock, a mediocre but acceptable moisturizer, and a great choice for makeup wearers but a terrible choice for those who want to go makeup-free.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2012 7:47:00 PM More reviews by NudeBlush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my daily moisturizer/sunscreen. It's photostable, absorbs quickly and not sticky. Wish it had a higher SPF but then it might become sticky. For now, I'm happy with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 6:07:00 AM More reviews by banana77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't understand why this SPF cream is getting such bad reviews!
Personally, I love it! It goes on smoothly and even though I have oily skin, it doesn't make my skin shine. I've had no adverse reactions, the fragrance doesn't bother me, and I think it's actually helped my acne-prone skin. I've been using it for a while now, and I'm on my third bottle. It isn't that expensive either.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 1:04:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I consider myself an assertive shopper. So as always, I looked at:

(1) Ingredients aka Quality (check bottom for complete): the raved anti-oxidant niacinamide (vitamin B3) #7, panthenol (vitamin B5) #16, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea) #12, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract #13. The first 3 ingredients# are present in the highest amounts and make up the SPF part wayyy more vs the antioxidant goodies.
(2) Amount you get aka Quantity-its a opaque plastic bottle of 2.5 oz. Considering doctors recommend 1/3 tsp for face, neck & ears (dime to nickel size) this should last about 50 applications.
(3) Cost-I paid about $15 at Walgreens.
(4) Paula Begoun did rate this high as an excellent pick.

Personal experience--it claims to be best for dry skin-leaving a matte finish. I have dry skin & this gave me a shiny cast, although it doesn't feel oily to touch, I looked greasy. Its fragrant & leaves a tacky feel, which is probably why it allows makeup to cling on smoothly.IMHO, their plenty of pump sunblocks with spf 20 (if not higher) for twice the amount & half the cost at DS, topped on top of a serum with more concentrated effective antioxidants (that also commonly contain dimethicone for primer like feel) minus the fragrance. You could easily get 2 products costing about the same, that are more effective at their targeted jobs, last longer & thus giving you more value for your money.

Ingredients: Active: Octisalate (5.0%), Homosalate (5.0%), Avobenzone (3.0%), Octocrylene (2.6%), Other: Water, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Polyethylene, Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Isohexadecane, Bht, Polysorbate 60, Dimethiconol, Citric Acid, Peg-4 Laurate, Peg-4 Dilaurate, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Peg-4, Cetearyl Glucoside, Stearic Acid, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ascorbic Acid, Ammonium Polyacrylate, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium Edta, Peg-100 Stearate, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by rodelinda

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used dozens of different face moisturizers, including other Olay products, but this is the first one to cause a red, burning rash around my nose and mouth. Skin irritation aside, I also disliked the unpleasant tingling when I first applied the lotion. It seemed to do an okay job moisturizing and didn't leave my face greasy, but obviously this isn't the right product for me. Guess I'm going back to L'Oreal Revitalift Complete Day Lotion.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by marywebgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had high hopes for this, but I ended up returning it. It broke me out worse than I had in a very long time. I now have one gigantic zit on my cheek that will scar, and I had a bunch of other smaller zits that I tended to early enough that they went away without lasting effects. It also seemed to make my pores look bigger, made my skin feel rougher, and I was pretty greasy by the afternoon. I was going to give a longer shot since one of the reviews mentioned purging and letting your skin adjust, but it was doing so much harm I didn't want to risk it. Even if it had worked great I was surprised by the price ($12.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, which usually discounts these products a bit).

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by quoo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was very excited about this product because of how positive Paula Begoun was but after an hour of having it on my skin- I felt nauseous because of the scent and this eventually turned into a migraine! I will stick with the Complete Care-Sensitive skin (which has no scent).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by auras

I know this is not a moisturizing lotion, but I didn't expect something so drying. And even on freshly scrubbed skin, it still balls up, and it's the only moisturizer that did this to me. Besides, in a month of use, it didn't improve my skin in any way. It still makes a pretty decent neck & chest cream so it's not a complete waste of money. I don't think I'm gonna repurchase though, because of all the parabens it contains.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product and the Total Effects daily moisturizer are two of the pricier Olay products I've tried, and honestly I prefer their cheaper basic stuff.

I liked this while using it but don't feel inspired to buy it again. It works best if you mix your makeup with it - using them separately causes the makeup to ball up a bit if you rub too much.

It also is rather white going on, though it also seemed to mattify a bit which was nice. I'm very pale, so the whiteness didn't bother me and soaked in just fine.

The pump is nicely designed - you turn the spout to open and close it, which is nice and hygienic. And the lotion comes out cleanly and doesn't go everywhere.

Decent product, but for that price and such a small amount, it's not for me. I'm trying the Olay Complete Sensitive Skin SPF 15 now and am liking that better so far. And it's 6 oz. compared to 2.5 for about the same price.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by SweetSurrender

This product feels heavy and is very greasy. After application and makeup my face still has a greasy (not dewy) look. I've noticed since using this product that I have been breaking out: I never break out. The scent is strong but I don't mind it. The dispenser and pump is nice but that's probably the only great thing about this product.