Nubian Heritage African Black Soap

4.2

African black soap base, African shea butter, oats, aloe, plantain extract, vitamin E, essential oil blend, vegetable glycerin, palm ash, rosemary extract, iron oxides.

on 4/5/2015 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this soap so much. It smells so good and it makes my skin feel so clean and smooth. I don't use this on my face as it can be slightly drying for it. But I just love how it lathers and I love how it rinses black. Very detoxifying and helps with my back acne. Love

on 12/14/2014 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use this product every morning. And have seen such improvement on my combination/ acne prone skin. It is drying for me, but I just make sure to put moisterizer on.

Overall, I cant live without this stuff. And it only cost like 3$ CAN on IHerb.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Ive acne prone sensitive skin and I found it very surprising that this soap actually didnt cause any bad reaction. It has helped with my acne however I always use a moisturizer afterwards as it is slightly drying but it does certainly feel like your skin is super clean afterwards. Ive read that some people with acne prone skin have experienced breakouts after using this which could be just the detoxifying effect in the initial stages Im not sure. Im happy to stick with it for now as I have had many cleansers with irritating unnatural ingredients break me out badly so for now this works for me

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've usef this product in and off for about a year now. Just recently I got back into using it since i've brrn been having constant breakouts and I have sensitive skin. I first use my Pond's cold cream makeup remover then folloe up with my black soap and my skin has cleared dramatically; even skin tone, fading acne marks, and less blackheads. I'm definitely gonna keep using this more often.

on 10/20/2014 1:59:00 PM

I've been using this for two weeks now. I have sensitive acne prone skin and had previously been on cetaphil. This soap evened skin tone and reduced redness amazingly without overdrying UNTIL a few days ago in which I have broken out in tiny bumps on my cheeks (somewhere rare for this to happen.) This soap was the only change in my routine and although the evenness in skin tone is tempting, I will have to go back to Cetaphil and use this on my body as it is causing irritation or blocking my pores.

on 10/14/2014 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this soap after reading all the rave reviews to clear my acne. While it did help a little initially, it also clogged my pores. It made my skin dry, so if you try this a good moisturizer is a must. Because it clogged my pores, the texture of my skin was bumpy, however it wasn't active acne. It wasn't a horrible product, since it is inexpensive and you can also use it as a body soap. I guess it just wasn't for me.

on 7/26/2014 11:26:00 PM

I've been using this for more than two weeks now. It went through PMS with me and I didn't know I was going through PMS; i.e., it controlled hormonal breakouts (or I didn't happen to have much trouble with hormonal breakouts this month, at the very least). My skin seems to like it, and I'm happy that it doesn't generate plastic waste. I will be repurchasing as part of my recent efforts to use more natural products in my hair and skin, and I like that I can just use this bar of soap to wash both my body and my face. Minimizing bottles and products everywhere is my goal!

EDIT: Stopped using this on my face as it seemed to stop working after awhile. Now just using Cerave on my face. I wonder if it doesn't work as well in hard water since rinsing may generate soap scum. I still use it on my body, and there it is great for clearing up bacne. I follow up on my body with the Nubian Heritage African Black Soap Lotion and my skin feels lovely. Would recommend this for your body if it didn't work out for your face.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

It's fantastic! I got it for 3 dollars and it's a great wash to do before applying my acne meds. Interestingly, before getting this one I got ABS without the added ingredients, and that ABS left a thin film of moisture over my skin while this one does not. Not sure why that is, but I rather miss that film... Still, great product, my acne has decreased while using it and my skin has gotten much healthier.

on 6/20/2014 6:45:00 PM

After constantly being frustrated with adult acne and a worthless facial routine, I did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews and thought that this was worth a try considering how cheap it is. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be readily available in my area, so I do order it from Vitamin Shoppe, but it's not a big deal considering I routinely buy from them anyways. So I gave it a try, and I'm in week 2 of my "trial". In order to properly determine if an acne product is going to work for you, you should always give a 2 to 3 week trial minimum (so long as it doesn't completely irritate your skin from the get-go) although 4 weeks is better, because it would give you a complete month with hormone fluctuation to properly assess efficacy. But anyhow, I washed my face with this product and within a few days I noticed the acne was starting to heal and nothing new was "popping up", not only that, but my skin felt smoother, blackheads and whiteheads were starting to work their way out of my pores, and the overall redness of my skin was decreasing. For the first few days however, my skin was as oily as ever, very soon after washing my face with this soap. That seemed to be an adjustment period, as my skin is now not nearly as oily as it was prior to trying this soap. That's a huge plus in my book! Not only that, but the smell is quite pleasant, like banana, but subtle. This is a soap that lathers well, and works great to remove makeup, and it's not overly drying. I use this with both a washcloth and a facial brush and I seem to get the same results either way. I would recommend this to product to anyone who has troublesome, but not severe acne and/or oily skin.

on 5/26/2014 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

UM, YES PLEASE!!! I bought this aagggeess ago when I was using the Shea Moisture version (which I like ok). I was really hesitant about the coconut oil since I'm extremely clog prone and have to be careful. But I decided to pull it out of the closet when my other face washes I was trying were leaving me broken out and miserable. I sort of singled out that it was salicylic acid (among other ingredients) that break me out the worst and since it is in so much I really had to change my routine. So as I said, I liked the Shea Moisture one and that had left me a tiinny bit dry and taught and while I still have some break outs no matter what I use, this helped clear me up considerably and didn't dry me at all. That alone was amazing since I am even hesitant to use moisturizers even though I should. I think another huge part is cutting out the SA, since it was hard for me to see what worked when something else I was using was causing problems. These two bars are so similar that I'm sure both are great, but I like this one just a tiny bit more.

Update: I used this consistently for about two weeks and it was helping to clear up my last mess of harsh chemicals and products, however, I still got some bumps and worst of all, deep cysts (and these odd deep whitehead type of things?? Like red bumps that weren't cystic but deeper than your average surface whitehead). This is the first time I quit SA and all the other products so I could give this a fair shot as is, but it still wasn't right for me. That's upsetting because it works for so many people and while it helped in part, I'm just crazy sensitive. It's possible nothing works actually, since I've come to think it's internal. My derm confirmed this, saying that a cleanser won't help people like me. So it's amazing for pretty much everyone I speak to, doesn't dry you out but helps even tone. I'd still say for the average person to give it a shot but for me I can't. :( For body use (like many in my bar graveyard) it's fine.