September 1, 2014 | 2194 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by silverbrook

I've been using this for more than two weeks now. It went through PMS with me and I didn't know I was going through PMS; i.e., it controlled hormonal breakouts (or I didn't happen to have much trouble with hormonal breakouts this month, at the very least). My skin seems to like it, and I'm happy that it doesn't generate plastic waste. I will be repurchasing as part of my recent efforts to use more natural products in my hair and skin, and I like that I can just use this bar of soap to wash both my body and my face. Minimizing bottles and products everywhere is my goal!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by wishingoceans

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's fantastic! I got it for 3 dollars and it's a great wash to do before applying my acne meds. Interestingly, before getting this one I got ABS without the added ingredients, and that ABS left a thin film of moisture over my skin while this one does not. Not sure why that is, but I rather miss that film... Still, great product, my acne has decreased while using it and my skin has gotten much healthier.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by staci13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After constantly being frustrated with adult acne and a worthless facial routine, I did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews and thought that this was worth a try considering how cheap it is. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be readily available in my area, so I do order it from Vitamin Shoppe, but it's not a big deal considering I routinely buy from them anyways. So I gave it a try, and I'm in week 2 of my "trial". In order to properly determine if an acne product is going to work for you, you should always give a 2 to 3 week trial minimum (so long as it doesn't completely irritate your skin from the get-go) although 4 weeks is better, because it would give you a complete month with hormone fluctuation to properly assess efficacy. But anyhow, I washed my face with this product and within a few days I noticed the acne was starting to heal and nothing new was "popping up", not only that, but my skin felt smoother, blackheads and whiteheads were starting to work their way out of my pores, and the overall redness of my skin was decreasing. For the first few days however, my skin was as oily as ever, very soon after washing my face with this soap. That seemed to be an adjustment period, as my skin is now not nearly as oily as it was prior to trying this soap. That's a huge plus in my book! Not only that, but the smell is quite pleasant, like banana, but subtle. This is a soap that lathers well, and works great to remove makeup, and it's not overly drying. I use this with both a washcloth and a facial brush and I seem to get the same results either way. I would recommend this to product to anyone who has troublesome, but not severe acne and/or oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

UM, YES PLEASE!!! I bought this aagggeess ago when I was using the Shea Moisture version (which I like ok). I was really hesitant about the coconut oil since I'm extremely clog prone and have to be careful. But I decided to pull it out of the closet when my other face washes I was trying were leaving me broken out and miserable. I sort of singled out that it was salicylic acid (among other ingredients) that break me out the worst and since it is in so much I really had to change my routine. So as I said, I liked the Shea Moisture one and that had left me a tiinny bit dry and taught and while I still have some break outs no matter what I use, this helped clear me up considerably and didn't dry me at all. That alone was amazing since I am even hesitant to use moisturizers even though I should. I think another huge part is cutting out the SA, since it was hard for me to see what worked when something else I was using was causing problems. These two bars are so similar that I'm sure both are great, but I like this one just a tiny bit more.

Update: I used this consistently for about two weeks and it was helping to clear up my last mess of harsh chemicals and products, however, I still got some bumps and worst of all, deep cysts (and these odd deep whitehead type of things?? Like red bumps that weren't cystic but deeper than your average surface whitehead). This is the first time I quit SA and all the other products so I could give this a fair shot as is, but it still wasn't right for me. That's upsetting because it works for so many people and while it helped in part, I'm just crazy sensitive. It's possible nothing works actually, since I've come to think it's internal. So it's amazing for pretty much everyone I speak to, doesn't dry you out but helps even tone. I'd still say for the average person to give it a shot but for me I can't. :( For body (like many in my bar graveyard) it's fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Ayazxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

It may be a bit too early to write a review however I just can't help it.

I have never had horrible skin in fact, it's always been quiet the opposite. Starting in October of last year, my skin began to break out. I mean huge cysts would pop out of my forehead and on my cheeks. I was getting tiny flesh-coloured bumps on and around my nose, between my eyebrows and on my forehead. It was so horrifying, I literally did not know what to do.

I tried everything EXCEPT go to a doctor because I wanted that to be a last resort option for me. I tried everything. Exfoliating, different face washes, changing my moisturizers. Tea tree oil shockingly did not work for me either. I used to rely on that when I would get a period pimple every now but this time it disappointed. I was at a point where I lacked confidence and felt everyone was staring at my cysts and the scars of old ones.

I finally read about African Black Soap. I had heard about it before since I use Raw Shea Butter religiously but had never really looked into its benefits. I researched and watched YouTube reviews and I thought this could really be my skin saviour. I bought Nubian Heritage ABS immediately at my local beauty supply store for $3.99 CAD and used it the same day. The price was reasonable imo. However, apparently this isn't the real raw version of ABS but to be very frank, I do not give a damn.

I felt a change in my skin almost IMMEDIATELY. I literally could not believe it. I must admit, I've been using it now for only 4 days (I know, I know) but my skin already looks completely different. It feels soft, I'm glowing, and the pimples that were the bane of my existence are no more. My pores are noticeably smaller. My skin tone looks as if it's becoming more even too! I mean...I'm so happy to have found this product and I plan to continue with it as long as the benefits continue too.

I use the soap at least once a day, in the morning. It lathers up so well and I just rub that latter into my wet face. I then rinse off with cool water, towel dab my face then rub a thin layer of shea butter into my skin. I think once a day is enough for me because I didn't want to overdo it and dry out my skin. It smells amazing btw!

This is a long review but I just want anyone out there who is looking for something, anything to help out with skin. African Black Soap is definitely it, trust me. Try it out and find out for yourself. I will update my review in about a month. Hopefully all of this positivity continues!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Myrahotchkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not the "real thing" but love it anyway... but only for my body, as it is very drying for the face even though my skin is extremely oily.

It does balance oil, but the downside is that it leaves my face EXTREMELY dry after a few days of using it.

But enough about my face, let's talk about my body as this is what I use it for. This product is super. It reduces razor bumps along my bikini line (maybe be careful using this product...there though if you catch my drift) and minor blemishes on my back or shoulders. It lathers beautifully and smells great. As it wears down it has the potential to get a bit scratchy because of the oatmeal (I think) bits sticking out, so watch out.

Over all it's a bar of soap... I just love what it's made from! It isn't quite the real thing in terms of traditional ABS ingredients but I wouldn't switch it for the world.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by harrisonfjord

I purchased this from a local health food store because I've been suffering from embarrassing acne on my back. I have been using it consistently for going six weeks now and while I have noticed that I haven't had many new breakouts, it isn't really clearing up my skin either. After giving this soap plenty of time to try and see how it worked out for me, I'll be switching my regimen to something stronger with more ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am in love! This soap is perfect for balancing out your skin. I don't have acne but I have been using natural soaps for years to keep me from developing over oily or dry skin on my face. I use this on my body too and although it is winter, I rarely moisturize. I highly recommend and you can get it dirt cheap at iherb.com. At a fancy store I paid twice as much..it is worth it but c'mon you can get two for the price of one at the fancy stores..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by Volchitsa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

It smells too sweet to me. Like an overly sweet candy or something. It's a shame, but I can't get myself to repurchase because of the scent (I like earthy or herbal smells). The smell didn't seem to linger though, and other than that, it's a good product. It left my skin feeling moisturized and clean.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2013 6:36:00 AM More reviews by Yogal28

I like to read reviews that are usually on the negative side first now because most of the times the items that i brought, which i based on the positive reviews, seldom applies much on me, maybe one or two that someone mention in their reviews but the negative one, most of the times, i experience what they did. Ironic thing is sometimes we had different skin types but still had the same outcomes.

Alright to the negative: I don't think this soap clear up acne prone skin types. At least not on me and it also brings out new acne and whiteheads. On my chin and especially on my cheek area which i didn't have acne nor whiteheads before using this product. It didn't even out my skin either.

Positive: The nice smell which is not overpowering unlike their lotion which i had also brought based on good reviews, it work just the same as their soap but with overwhelming scent. The soap isn't drying at all on my face, i felt my face is smooth but it doesn't make my acne prone skin better but worse. This two points is the two lippies i give for.

Will finish using this on my body and never will repurchase.