July 30, 2014 | 1530 users online

Treatments (Face) - DERMAdoctor - Poetry In Lotion Intensive Retinol 1.0

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by pirateninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of my favorite face products ever. Like some previous reviewers,
I have tried prescription-grade retinol products in the past and have had pretty decent results
but also dryness and flaky patches. I have also tried numerous other products that claim to
even skin tone or reduce spots to no avail. I use this product mostly for the purpose for fading some stubborn acne scars. Using this has been the one thing that has made a noticeable difference in my skin. Although the results do take time, I have noticed significant lightening of
my spots as well as clearer skin in general.

Also, this product, even when used frequently, does not irritate or dry out my skin.
Yes, this is more on the expensive side, but I would repurchase this again and again ( and I have!).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by luvlost03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I decided to give this a try because its paraben free and does not test on animals. Im glad I did, I have oily combination skin thats clog prone. Im in my late 20's so my skin is not that bad, I've got large pores and some fine lines. I dont use this often but im goin to start using this 2x a week, ive had good results with this my skin always looks better after using it, I just need to becareful with how often I use this, when I first tried it I used it 3x's the first week and it was too much my skin started peeling.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been using Skinceuticals retinol and decided on a whim to try this because it was supposed to contain anti-irritants to calm skin down. After going through my second bottle of this, I am not really impressed. It does not cause my combination skin to break out nor does it irritate my skin.But I don't really notice any improvement in my skin whilst using this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Leslie29

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a strong retinol 1.0 treatment. After an initial rough start with this product, I was ready to give it up. The directions say to use every other day, which I did twice. I then developed a beaming red chemical burn, that lasted for a week. It flushed so red that total strangers were asking me if I was O.K. Not a pretty sight.

If it had not been a $75.00 product from Sephora I think I would have thrown it out on the spot.

When the burn subsided, I noticed my skin looking more even toned and glowy....so I gave it another shot. This time, I applied it once every 7 days. When it still looked O.K., I moved it up to every 6 days, etc.

I now am using every third night, and my skin looks amazing. It's
glowing, and my pores are much smaller. There is also a nice improvement in the fine lines around my eyes. My Dr. asked me what I was using on my face to make skin look so healthy!

Another point...the directions state to wait 20 min. after washing your face before you apply. This is an important step (and one I think I ignored the first time around)

So glad I gave this another try! Hg product for sure.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Rocknrobin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for 2 weeks now along with the Wrinkle Revenge 1. Not sure which product is doing this for me but for the first time in many years, the texture of my face is very smooth. I normally have breakouts on my chin when that time of the month is near. Not this time, I have no breakouts whatsoever. I have some acne scarring on my right side cheek that has always bothered me. That is disappearing. For the first couple of days, I had some drying along the sides of my nose but that disappeared. I love this stuff and can't imagine not continuing to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 10:26:00 AM More reviews by ng2die4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great ptoduct that is really working. This is my first experience with Retin-Retinol formulation of any kind and I have no irritation or flaking. I have combo skin with few wrinkles and this product really helps to even out my skin tone and smooth my laugh lines. First I notices the difference with the skin tone (almost right away) then, the fine lines on my forehead and around my mouth started to soften down. I been using it for about a month now and will repurchase. Paying $72 for the product that actually works makes sense to me. I can also recommend Dermadoctor website that has the most informative skincare articles. If you are looking for retinol product, try it by getting sample from Sephora andf make sure you wear 30+ sunscreen as this product make you skin sensative to the sun (you face will feel itchy if you dont use sun protection)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 7:20:00 AM More reviews by broberta

I have used prescription Retin-a for years and was really tired of all the flaking and redness. Decided to try this and I LOVE it. It works as well as the prescription without all of the irritation of the prescription. I try to use it everyday but typically switch back to every other day (recommended). Definitely a must try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 9:24:00 PM More reviews by ammasprajna

UPDATE 2/16/12: I have to take off a lippy because ultimately this was drying and somewhat irritating. I used it for a few months and just had too many bouts of itchy, flaky and reddish patches that I'd have to pamper for days while stopping the Poetry in Lotion. It made my skin really temperamental. I have to say though that my skin is a little sensitive, but I tolerate retinol well in other formulas (see my review of RoC Multi-Correxion Skin Renewing Serum), and I've now been using Paula's Choice Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum from their Resist line, which also contains a high concentration of retinol but is formulated with soothing anti-irritants, as well as plenty of antioxidants and other good things. I'm getting great results from it (clear skin, diminished fine lines) and can use it every night without irritation. This is still a nice product, and thankfully it's fragrance free and highly concentrated, but it's probably better suited to people with fairly resilient skin.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
LOVE this!! I had great success with RoC Multi-Correxion Skin Renewing Serum, and I was curious what a higher potency retinol product would do for me. Years ago I had a Differin prescription and it was just too much for me, so this was a test. I almost tried the Skinceuticals retinol but so many reviewers had trouble with the packaging. PTR makes a high potency retinol serum but it's in an eye-dropper and I was concerned about it destabilizing from oxygen and light. So I went with Poetry in Lotion, and I'm REALLY pleased with it. It's definitely strong stuff! I was doing fine with it every night until the weather dramatically turned colder and drier and I had to change to every other night. Now my skin has adjusted to the wintery weather and I can use it every night.

After using Poetry in Lotion for about 2 months, my skin looks more even and clear. It does help to soften fine lines around my mouth and eyes, and also helps regulate oiliness. There's a soft brightness and radiance and my skin looks great in photos. Don't use too much! Just enough to blend lightly into the trouble areas. I don't use it on the drier parts of my face.

It's worth mentioning that any retinol product needs to be paired with two things to be really effective: an exfollient (a glycolic acid peel or cleanser will do the trick, especially with a soft brush), and a daytime SPF. I have oilier skin so I love Murad Oil-Control Mattifier with SPF 15 for regular daily use and Shiseido Urban Environment SPF 35 for days where I'm outside more. If you have drier skin, try something creamier. These two things are essential for Poetry in Lotion to be really effective. Enjoy your pretty skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by WendyBC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE this product, but I don't love the packaging. I hope they redo it at some point. Why do I love it? I've been using it for two years and people say I look ten years younger. Need I say more??? When I tell people I'm 41 their mouths drop open! I started using it gradually, and my skin did feel like a sunburn for several months, but now I use it every night, and can't live without it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by Eladia

For reference, I have very oily skin with large pores that is sensitive to a lot of products. I have to be very careful with what I pur on my skin otherwise I will break out horribly. Unfortunately, I have never been able to tolerate any form of Retin-A. So I have been looking for a good retinol product for some time now. I am so glad that I recieved a free sample of this product while at Sephora. I wasn't even aware of this brand. After just two applications, I noticed the improvement in my skin. I could not believe what a difference in my skin's texture, in pore size and in general appearance (no irritation). I went back and bought the full size. Yes, it is expensive, but for me it is worth it. I use it every other night alternating with my favorite glycolic acid product. I have found that it has dried out my oily skin somewhat. I no longer wake up all oily, so that is actually a good thing for me.