Just for Men - Moustache and beard dye

4.8

on 2/17/2015 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great stuff. I have naturally thick and decently shaped eyebrows, but they are lighter than my head hair and don't show up as well. I use this stuff once a week to darken my brows. I don't even apply Vaseline around my brows or use a spoolie. I literally just mix together two equal sized small blobs with a qtip and apply it with that, making sure to dab down to the tail end of the brow. The packaging is simple but does its job, and the tiny amount needed for weekly application means it will last a long time. Why would you pay to get your brows tinted when it is so easy and cheap with this stuff?

on 2/6/2015 7:39:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this stuff! It only takes five minutes to use the dye. I apply it with a disposable mascara wand to ensure that all the hairs are covered. I wipe the dye and Vaseline off with a wet washcloth. I'm using Jamaican castor oil nightly to help my brows grow, which removes some of the color. I get about a week out of each application now, but it still saves time compared to doing my brows daily.

on 1/20/2015 12:23:00 PM

This hides the gray at my temples somewhat well. While it doesn't always take, it works about 50 percent of the time, is affordable, is easy to use, and well packaged so I can do small parts of my head.

I'm currently leaving it on for 17 minutes because it doesn't work for me at the recommended 5 minute mark. I buy a couple shades lighter and leave it on extra in order to get it to cover my gray. That said, it does leave the hair that is not gray a tad too dark. I did it this morning and can't tell so I'm guessing it fluctuates with how clean or dirty my hair is as well as how much sweat is in my hair (I do it after running and before showering).

I love the fact that you can mix up a bit and only do the errant gray hairs as opposed to everything else I've tried where you have to use it all at once. It works average well, but that is still better than any other product I tried which didn't work at all.

on 12/13/2013 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I want to thank you all for these reviews because without them I would never have tried this. You have saved me a bundle of money at the Benefit Brow bar!

I went on youtube after reading here and found a tutorial by a young lady named Samantha Reilly. If anyone wants to see it ,I just searched youtube for "Just For Men eyebrows ", and it was the first video that came up. ( I did not post the link because I am not sure if that is okay here.) I found it helpful to see this done. I am a visual learner.

I bought the Just for Men facial hair product in light brown. My hair is very dark blonde naturally and I have rather dark brows. I picked the light brown based on reviews here, and it was perfect. Normally I'd have gone darker and been wrong so , again, you saved me money. My pic is in my profile if you want to see how dark my brows are for a basis of comparison in choosing a color.

I applied this with an angled spoolie working it up , down and in, wiped off the little I got on my skin, left the product on 5 minutes, wiped it off and the 5 or 6 grey hairs I have in my brows were a perfect match to the dark ones!

This covered better than the product I used to have put on at my hair salon which then only lasted a few days and just as well as the one Benefit uses which normally last me 2 weeks. I am very happy with the result and will not mind if I have to do touchups once a week. Heck, I'd do them more often if I had to just to save money and to not have to make a special trip out to get it done. This is a money and time saver.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I have been cursed with light blonde eyebrows and lashes and it has been a PITA to try to add some color back to them and have it look natural. They are fairly thick, so when I use a pencil, the color deposits UNDER the hair on my skin, leaving me with a strange result. Powder sticks to the hair much better, but fades quickly during the day and needs reapplying, so not optimal. I have been using MUFE Aqua brow gel which is actually a really great product, but it still has to be applied, I do not wake up looking like I have brows.

I have tried dying them several times with products designed for brows (Roux...I am looking at you!) which was expensive and looked awful, even the lightest color they offer is too dark. I had it done professionally, it looked like crap, the fumes were awful ( they used regular hair color) and was also expensive....So I was resigned to using the Aqua brows and was happy to have at least some option that lasted the entire day. I was watching TV and one of the commercials for Just For Men came on and it struck me like a lightning bolt...Just for Men is designed to be used on the face...and beard hair has to be thicker and harder to dye than my brows...why not try it? So I picked up the Light Brown gel formula at a local drug store.

It was super easy to mix, you just place an equal line of each of the two tubes and mix with the brush they include in the plastic tray. Then apply. Application is fairly easy since it is a thick gel, not runny (Roux...again I am looking at you! what a bad product that is!), I used the brush they included for most of the work, then used a small spoolie brush to pull it through the finer hairs. I use a q-tip to wipe off any color that makes it onto my skin. 5 minutes later, I wipe it off with a damp cotton pad and I have eyebrows again! It is a little dark at first, I would not suggest doing this the day before a big event, do it a few days before so the color can settle, but this is a fantastic product! It is inexpensive, easy to use, easy to get a hold of at most drug stores or even Walmart, does not have strong fumes, has a good selection of colors (certainly more than any makeup brand out there has for eyebrows!!) and works like a charm. I can do my brows 10-12 times with a single box! Does the color last for months? Nope. I have to do this every 3 weeks or so, more often (2 weeks) in summer when I swim and am in the sun...but I have freakin EYEBROWS when I am in the pool, and when I wake up...and all other times too! So that 10 minutes I spend mixing and applying this product is the best 10 minutes I devote to my beauty routine, our brows make a significant difference in how we look and I am thrilled to have found something that works this well for such a great price. HG product!

I have not tried on lashes, I am too chicken for that after a misguided attempt to color my lashes with the Roux stuff...disaster! But with this product, I may CAREFULLY give it a try someday and will update if I do!

on 9/28/2012 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

If there is one thing that I hate about my face, it would be my brows. They're sparser and thinner than I'd really like. So, brow filling is a part of my every day makeup routine. I won't say that I never leave the house without my brows, but I DO hate to do so! Anyway, I've been looking for a product to perk up my brows. My stylist recommended that I use regular hair dye for my brows. No success there :(. Then, I had read on various forums and our lovely MU board recommending this product. I tried it for the first time, and YES! My brows actually did take the color. I did mess up on the application (don't use the given applicator in the box. You would think that it's a no-brainer for me LOL). I will reapply tomorrow and will update on the results.

I picked the shade "Real Black" for my black-brown hair with red tints. It looks okay, but I will probably get "Darkest Brown" as I prefer something less blue toned.

UPDATE: Darkest Brown is a WAY better match for my hair. Unfortunately, I've realized that a dye job doesn't last more than a week for me (not as permanent as I had hoped). The price is reasonable for that minor issue, though.

on 8/12/2012 10:42:00 AM

Read about this in an Allure article. HG for sure. Have pesky white hairs in my increasingly sparse brows, which are very hard to cover up with powder, pencil, or any cosmetic product, at least for me and my modest skills. Had been having my colorist use hair dye when I go the salon, which makes a terrible mess and gets dye on your skin, is irritating, etc. This stuff mixes up in a pinch, takes only 5 minutes, doesn't drip and works like a charm. You get multiple applications from a single kit. Why did it take me so long to discover this? I think brow salons charge upwards of $30 for dye jobs! I got my box for $9, and you can leave it open for three months....

on 1/23/2012 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I decided to try this product based soley on the MUA reviews and I'm so glad I did! Due to aging, my eyebrows have gotten very light and I spend quite a bit of time getting them darkened and filled in every morning. I colored them with Just For Men in medium brown and they are perfect. The next darker color would have been too dark and I would have looked like Groucho Marx. Didn't have to spend any time on my brows this morning. I thought the product was going to stain my skin but I got it off with some hair color remover that I got from Sally's but I think it's just alcohol. You only mix a little at a time so a box of color should last a long time, as you use very very little to just do your brows. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. Ladies, be careful putting it over your eyes, you don't want any drips! The only problem that I could see was it colored all the little stray hairs that I couldn't see before so I had more plucking to do. Highly recommend!

I, too, have been using this to dye my brows with great success. You see, I have this weird issue: my brows naturally look thin up close and virtually non-existent from afar. When dyed, they magically look the way they should (much thicker and more noticeable, but never unnatural). Hooray! JFM not only takes less time than conventional dye, but it doesn't fade as quickly. I use both black and dark brown mixed together to create a custom shade to match my hair and I always apply it with an old mascara wand. Works like a charm every time!

MES

on 7/23/2011 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use this on my brows, well actually just one brow and it is AMAZING! One of my brows is naturally brown, the other is and always has been platinum blonde. Lucky for me I came of age in the 90s when thin brows were in so I just shaved them both off and drew them on. I kept that look up for years and decided it was too harsh.

First I tried Roux lash and brow tin, it was a total waste of money. The color didn't take on my super light hair, and it was too runny to be practical. Then I tried old fashioned brow powder and wax. It looked nice, but it was a PITA to have to apply everyday. Used regular hair dye for a while, but it takes forever to process and the last few times would end up fading within a couple weeks.

I found myself reading an interview with pin-up model Dita Von Teese who is a natural blonde but is famous as a brunette. Her secret to having visible brows that actually match her hair is Just for Men Mustache and Beard dye. makes sense seeing how brows are also facial hair.

It's super easy to mix, there is a little tray in the box along with a tube of color, a tube of developer and an applicator. You add equal amounts from each of the tubes, mix, apply, and in five minutes you are done. You don't even have to measure anything. The secret is its a deposit only color, since no lift is needed it speeds up the process. If you have light or white brows like me, then lift isn't even necessary.