November 29, 2014 | 1171 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics in Flax

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by larabr

I'm so disappointed with this product... I actually swatched it Sephora several times before deciding to purchase it because it is a bit pricey, and until then I was so in love with it. I started using this instead of my NARS eye primer and the more I used it, the less I liked it. This does nothing to keep my eyeshadow in place, and my lids are not usually very oily. But for some reason this just does not work well as a primer! I'm so disappointed because I wanted to love this and I thought it would be great...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by hippodeem

this eyeshadow base stays very put and in place. the color choices are great for different skin tone. i am pale asian and flax color suits me very well. the eyeshadow and liner go on very smooth and stay still. it is quite different to get it off though i must say. easier with waterproof / cleansing oil eye makeup remover. this is better than too faced or urban decay IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by pensivern

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried several primers including MAC paint pots and UD primer potion. I've found this to be my favorite by far; it goes on smoothly, dries quickly, neutralizes my reddish lids and dries completely crease free. It leaves my lids silky smooth with no crepey texture and looks simple and classy with a touch of liner and mascara for a fresh clean polished look. MAC paint pots are faster in terms of application but they always came off as chalky on me and I never understood the popularity of UD pp.- a messy annoying applicator with a product not easily visible.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by beautifulthings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love it. However, I don't like the tube as it's impossible to get the applicator to the bottom and scrape it clean when the product runs low, and for this reason would prefer it if it came in a pot.

It does do a great job at priming the lids and ensuring that eye shadow stays put. Definitely staying in my make up bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by BazookaBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was recommended to me by a local pro who did my best friend's makeup for her wedding when I asked her what she used as eye primer for her clients. She was nice enough to let me try it that day and it worked fantastically for me. The next week when I was at Sephora I snapped up one of my own and I love it.

It is very creamy and I don't find that it takes too very long to dry. I use this under every eyeshadow I use, from light neutrals to the crazy bright colors I wear on weekends. It is a bit on the expensive side, but the amount that comes in the tube will last for an extremely long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by CristiK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A friend recommended this as a primer, but it hasn't worked well for me. I find that it goes on very liquid-y and slides around my lid. It also takes a while to dry and I am not that patient. It isn't bad as a neutral eye shadow on its' own-but it doesn't improve the performance and staying power of eye shadow in my opinion.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by MyNameIsHoney

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Bought this initially to use on my under eye area so that my Tarte corrector/concealer did a better job concealing the dark circles when layered on top of the LM. However, on stepping out into the daylight I realized it would gray out my under eye area rather than providing a more natural skintone base. In any case, I kept it to use as a primer underneath eyeshadow (its original purpose). It creases like crazy on me, and I did a hand test by swatching MAC paint (sublime nature) and this, then sweeping a multi-dimensional shadow (MAC Club) over both. The LM needed several layers of the shadow to show up true to colour, whereas the MAC only needed one swipe. For these reasons (creasing and difficulty showing up colours), plus the cost of it, I won't be repurchasing. I agree that it looks great on its own with a sweep of mascara, but I can easily find that with other slightly shimmery shadows that are similar to my skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by hopflower

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Flax is one of my favourite Laura Mercier Eye Basics. It is a light pearly beige, and adds a subtle sheen and polish to an otherwise unmade up eye. You don't need much else except for mascara and a touch of liner if you like it. I tend to have oily eyelids, and it is the best at staying on a long time without creasing and as a base for other shadows if needed.

The Eye Basics last a longtime, too. I have had one of them for over a year and still have a lot left.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by tagg

Love this! The newer colour formulation is really pretty, with just a bit of pearlescence. It's great under shadow, but really pretty on its own for a "no makeup" look. It makes you look somehow finished and polished all on its own.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by ckapp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is by far my favorite eye primer. The eye basics in flax has a really pretty pearlescent tint and provides the perfect canvas for other eye makeup applications. It dries quickly to a matte finish, applies beautifully and I love how it evens out the slight discolorations I have on my lids. I sometimes wear it alone when I'm in a jiffy. Your eye make-up will last all day long and no creasing whatsoever. My eyes are pretty sensitive and I experience no adverse side effects from this primer. I LOVE this product!

Edit: I now prefer using MAC paintpot in painterly only because it seems to handle my oily eyelids a tad better than eye basics in flax. I still love the color and works wonders on those with normal/dry eyelids.