Dr. Woods Pure Black Soap

4.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Saponified Coconut, Hemp & Olive Oils with retained Glycerin, Black Soap Concentrate, Vitamin E Oil, (Tocopheryl Acetate), Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract.

I've been using Dr. Woods as a nightly cleanser for over a year now and I love it. I use the Dr. Woods Naturals Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser with black soap and shea butter. Excellent stuff! Less than $10 a bottle at Vitacost.com. A bit more at Whole Foods (at their stores).

I use this product, MyChelle and Acure exfoliating scub on my face to brighten.

MyChelle and Dr. Woods are at Vitacost and Whole Foods - Approx. $10
Acure exfoliating scrub - Target $8.99

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Two may enter and only one will leave Dr Woods vs Dr Bronners! I've been using Dr B's for almost a decade and it honestly stopped me from turning into an actual side show attraction with my dry skin issues, but as it were I guess my skin started getting used to it because the dryness came back. Also with everyone's mom and their dog hearing about Dr B, the popularity rose and so did the price, so I went for something cheaper. Hearing about it here, I faved it and came back when my tea tree began to ran out to see where I could purchase it and google led me to the vitamin shoppe. $10 for a 32oz bottle? Get. Out. I bought that with some other items and been using it for the past 4 days now as of writing this. Packaging: No frills and no amusing new agey stuff written all over the bottle - nothing to read while I'm in the shower? Aw. Anyway, consistency: this soap reminded me of genuine maple syrup i.e light golden in color and consistency (if that makes sense) but less sticky obviously. Lather: I used my beloved Salux bath towel expecting an explosion of it, but the minute I got to scrubbing, it dissipated. :'( I assumed it was the hard water, but Dr B's never had that issue - it's because Dr W's has shea butter in it which is an emollient which will come into play later in this review. Before I forget, because of it's less moisturizing nature, I still saved the little bit of Dr B's for my more erm..'delicate areas' because I like those to feel clean obviously, not to say they wouldn't, I can't explain it lol. Anyway... Scent: At first, something I was not happy with, or maybe I'm not used to? It's spicy and earthy, almost masculine. Not "masculine" like tabacco and leather thank gods. I'm still getting used to it. It does linger awhile, so be prepared. Post shower: I feel softer; with Dr B's I immediately had to run to my coconut oil before my skin dried or else that was a wrap. Thing is, you know how with moisturizing soaps you put on even more moisturizer and that's an overkill? If anything, coconut oil and this soap pair well and I am softer than butter and fully moisturized without feeling greasy or gummy. A day later, I pass my finger nail across my arm, nope, still good - no ashiness. Conclusion: Not much lather, but the after effects of the moisturizing shea butter ingredients are a trade off. Strong scent that takes some getting used to, so if you're not used to that, you may want to pass it up. The price point is amazeballs though! Like a burgeoning relationship, me and Dr Woods are showing some promise and I'm liking the outlook so far. I'll keep you guys posted...

Update: Used it on my face, breaking out like CRAZY. Total no go there. Still working wonders on my skin elsewhere. Very pleased there :)

on 12/5/2014 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This a must in my shower used along with a Salux exfoliating cloth. I have always had yucky skin, bacne, scaly, bumpy, dry and ashy. I started using this about a year and a half ago. Within one week of using with a Salux cloth my bacne was completely banished never to return. I now occasionally get a small whitehead that I can zap within a day. But seriously, I have battled with that problem since my teens. I can't believe it was such a simple solution.

As for the rest of my body, it feels like butter (including my back). My husband will start petting me and says he can't get over how soft my skin is. One time I went for a pedi and the lady kept commenting that she'd never felt such soft skin. My sister-in-law, who was with me, finally broke down and asked to feel my leg and then wrote down the products.

On my facial exfoliation days I wash my face first with Dr. Woods to get some extra exfoliation.

One tip I picked up somewhere is to go to a beauty supply shop and get a pump lid to replace the cap that comes with the bottle.

on 8/25/2014 4:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This a great value-all purpose facial wash, body wash and hand wash. This has very little foam when used as a facial cleanser. Earthy scent, cleans the skin rather well.

This can remove make-up as long as you wash your face twice with the cleanser. It seems to clear pores and help minimize my break-outs.

on 12/3/2013 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Okay, this review is a bit premature, but I will update after I have tried it for EVERYTHING. I was in my local Giant grocery store, in the organic aisles, and was planning on picking up some Dr. Bonners Almond when to my delight I spotted this. I seriously almost squealed, (so sad, I know). I have wanted to try this and its (No. 1) much cheaper than Dr. B's (which has become my staple for household cleaning and personal care).

No. 2- I love, love, love, the smell. Its very different, herbally/ spicy but not too strong. Many say it smells like mens cologne. I don't think so, but it is NOT anywhere near the Dr. B's scents. When my Dr. B's runs out I will be converting all my homemade household cleaning recipies that call for castille soap to this.

Now I have only tried this (I bought it tonight) for face washing. Well, I should have known. I only wash my face with honey but always miss the suds. Dr. B's made my face burn, luckily Dr. Woods Black did not but I still found my face to tight feeling after washing so it is a no go for my face. I am going to try it a shampoo and body wash and am hopping it performs as well if not better (not so drying) as Dr B's- will update

on 11/9/2013 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this black soap!!! I try to buy products without harmful ingredients, and this is the best for my skin that is oily. I am 41 and have some pigment issues due to my past tanning bed use and this soap seems to be evening out my skin tone. I do admit I wasn't fond on the scent...but it's tolerable now. It's worth it seeing how great this makes my skin look....I use it all over my body and my skin is softer than it's ever been!

on 5/29/2013 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This has got to be the best liquid soap I've ever purchased! It leaves my skin soft and hydrated on those hot days when I don't feel like using lotion. It's got a nice rosemary scent and its not too strong. I would recommend this to anyone who has dry itchy skin when they come out of the shower. YOU will not be DISAPPOINTED!!

on 4/28/2013 4:24:00 PM

Was dying to try out this product and was not disappointed at all. I needed something to get all my makeup off and this did it. The smell was strange at first but quickly got over it and don't even notice it at all anymore. Don't know if it is drying or not because I always use moisturizer. I am also now hooked on the other Dr. woods soaps too. The peppermint I use in a foam soap dispenser in the bathroom, also use it for cleaning floors diluted with water. I love the almond soap also. I have that in a foam dispenser as well and use it diluted in a spray bottle to dust with. Smells fabulous. Love that these soaps are not chemically and the smells don't sicken me.

on 1/18/2013 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is definitely the most purchased soap by me. I was a regular user of Dr. Bronners, but decided to give Dr. Woods soaps a try and I am glad I did. I am addicted to this soap, it does wonders for my skin. I use it as facial cleanser and body wash, it cleanses well without drying the skin. After regular use my skin gradually became clearer and brighter, the pores are tighter. Don't like it as a shampoo, but otherwise it is an excellent product. My kids like it as well. I tried the other variations as well, they are good, but the smell of the Pure Black is divine, so this one is a winner. It is very cheap at www.iherb.com (use code TOV126 for $5-$10 discount).

on 12/8/2012 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried Dr. Bonner's soap, but found it WAY too drying. I wanted something more natural so I gave this a try when I was at my local health food grocery store. This was a very nice product and you got a lot for the price. I think a large bottle was around $13.00.

I was able to use this to shave my legs and I didn't get the drag or drying effect I did when I used Dr. Bonner's. I washed my face a few times with this and had no extra acne or any irritation. I did not continue using it as a face wash though out of fear mostly. I have very reactive skin on my face and it likes to break out in painful acne.

For anyone that has tried Dr. Bonner's and found that it wasn't right for their skin I would highly recommend trying this product out! :)

Top Rated Dr. Woods Products