December 27, 2014 | 1924 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Woods - Pure Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by jennhaw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This a must in my shower used along with a Salux exfoliating cloth. I have always had yucky skin, bacne, scaly, bumpy, dry and ashy. I started using this about a year and a half ago. Within one week of using with a Salux cloth my bacne was completely banished never to return. I now occasionally get a small whitehead that I can zap within a day. But seriously, I have battled with that problem since my teens. I can't believe it was such a simple solution.

As for the rest of my body, it feels like butter (including my back). My husband will start petting me and says he can't get over how soft my skin is. One time I went for a pedi and the lady kept commenting that she'd never felt such soft skin. My sister-in-law, who was with me, finally broke down and asked to feel my leg and then wrote down the products.

On my facial exfoliation days I wash my face first with Dr. Woods to get some extra exfoliation.

One tip I picked up somewhere is to go to a beauty supply shop and get a pump lid to replace the cap that comes with the bottle.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 4:55:00 AM More reviews by jbluzb86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This a great value-all purpose facial wash, body wash and hand wash. This has very little foam when used as a facial cleanser. Earthy scent, cleans the skin rather well.

This can remove make-up as long as you wash your face twice with the cleanser. It seems to clear pores and help minimize my break-outs.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, this review is a bit premature, but I will update after I have tried it for EVERYTHING. I was in my local Giant grocery store, in the organic aisles, and was planning on picking up some Dr. Bonners Almond when to my delight I spotted this. I seriously almost squealed, (so sad, I know). I have wanted to try this and its (No. 1) much cheaper than Dr. B's (which has become my staple for household cleaning and personal care).

No. 2- I love, love, love, the smell. Its very different, herbally/ spicy but not too strong. Many say it smells like mens cologne. I don't think so, but it is NOT anywhere near the Dr. B's scents. When my Dr. B's runs out I will be converting all my homemade household cleaning recipies that call for castille soap to this.

Now I have only tried this (I bought it tonight) for face washing. Well, I should have known. I only wash my face with honey but always miss the suds. Dr. B's made my face burn, luckily Dr. Woods Black did not but I still found my face to tight feeling after washing so it is a no go for my face. I am going to try it a shampoo and body wash and am hopping it performs as well if not better (not so drying) as Dr B's- will update

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by rujteara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this black soap!!! I try to buy products without harmful ingredients, and this is the best for my skin that is oily. I am 41 and have some pigment issues due to my past tanning bed use and this soap seems to be evening out my skin tone. I do admit I wasn't fond on the scent...but it's tolerable now. It's worth it seeing how great this makes my skin look....I use it all over my body and my skin is softer than it's ever been!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This has got to be the best liquid soap I've ever purchased! It leaves my skin soft and hydrated on those hot days when I don't feel like using lotion. It's got a nice rosemary scent and its not too strong. I would recommend this to anyone who has dry itchy skin when they come out of the shower. YOU will not be DISAPPOINTED!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Motoxette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Was dying to try out this product and was not disappointed at all. I needed something to get all my makeup off and this did it. The smell was strange at first but quickly got over it and don't even notice it at all anymore. Don't know if it is drying or not because I always use moisturizer. I am also now hooked on the other Dr. woods soaps too. The peppermint I use in a foam soap dispenser in the bathroom, also use it for cleaning floors diluted with water. I love the almond soap also. I have that in a foam dispenser as well and use it diluted in a spray bottle to dust with. Smells fabulous. Love that these soaps are not chemically and the smells don't sicken me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is definitely the most purchased soap by me. I was a regular user of Dr. Bronners, but decided to give Dr. Woods soaps a try and I am glad I did. I am addicted to this soap, it does wonders for my skin. I use it as facial cleanser and body wash, it cleanses well without drying the skin. After regular use my skin gradually became clearer and brighter, the pores are tighter. Don't like it as a shampoo, but otherwise it is an excellent product. My kids like it as well. I tried the other variations as well, they are good, but the smell of the Pure Black is divine, so this one is a winner. It is very cheap at www.iherb.com (use code TOV126 for $5-$10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

I tried Dr. Bonner's soap, but found it WAY too drying. I wanted something more natural so I gave this a try when I was at my local health food grocery store. This was a very nice product and you got a lot for the price. I think a large bottle was around $13.00.

I was able to use this to shave my legs and I didn't get the drag or drying effect I did when I used Dr. Bonner's. I washed my face a few times with this and had no extra acne or any irritation. I did not continue using it as a face wash though out of fear mostly. I have very reactive skin on my face and it likes to break out in painful acne.

For anyone that has tried Dr. Bonner's and found that it wasn't right for their skin I would highly recommend trying this product out! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2012 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Ayuri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I gave in to the hype and bought this and have never regretted a purchase more. I don't have sensitive or acne prone skin, but a few days of using this as a facial cleanser gave me cysts in areas that have never, ever broken out before. When used as shampoo, it turned my hair to straw. When used as body wash, I broke out all over my back and chest, also something that has never happened before. I don't even want to use this to clean my floors, as the smell is less than pleasant. Short of dumping the whole bottle, I have no idea what to do with the rest of this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Cellove15

Ok, I wanted to give this product a go as a facial cleanser due to the great reviews on here. I thought I'd do this review in 5 steps. I wanna write a first impression and then update every week. ... I'm gonna use it religiously and really see what it can do.
Normally it's not something I'd buy being a faithful clinique 3 step user. My skin type is combination. Cheeks on the dry side. T zone can get oily. Extremely sensitive skin. Very very acne-prone when it comes to products. Right now I have a few minor breakouts due to stress and hormones, I think.I use the version without shea butter.

Day 1: So, first impression: THE PACKAGING is not very practical. It's an 32 ounce bottle. . it looks weird and out of place in my bathroom. Don't know. Some fancy department store cleanser does look nicer on the shelf... and I'm afraid I am a little shallow like that.
THE SMELL... is awful imo. Smells a bit like old men to me. Reminds me of my grandfather somehow which in a way is not bad since I loved my grandfather and he was really picky with products... but do I wanna smell like him?! Idk. Smell does linger like 2-3 hours I think. Also lingers in the bathroom.
THE RESUNLT: Takes off makeup like nothing else!! Wow!!! Even mascara without leaving any residue! Skin is neather stripped not showing any redness. I feel like I could go without moisturizer but... I just cannot do that. Being a skin care junkie it just feels wrong. At least until now it does. I might think differently next week.