August 23, 2014 | 1750 users online

Styling Products - Redken - Wool shake 08 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of the best texturizers for shorter hair. I do not spray directly onto the hair, but into my palms and then I rub it in vigorously into the roots of my hair. Adds amazing volume with a bit of grip but does not make the hair sticky or stiff.

I would like to buy another bottle of this (the smell is very pleasant indeed) provided they improve the nozzle of the spray pump - it gets sticky and blocked each time i use it which can be a bit annoying.

I am not too happy about the fact that Redken apparently tests on animals so if I do not get my hands on it again after all, I will not be sad. A hairdresser round the corner stocks it so I need to have a look if I can still buy it there. A bottle is 15 and it took me more than a Year to use it up (I still have some left, as 3-4 sprays are enough for my hair and I only wear it when my hair is shorter).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Wool Shake to help plump up my puny pixie. It works best for me when I spray it into my hands, rub them together, and apply it to my hair like a pomade/wax. It's a clay-based formula and has a firm hold, so don't expect a soft, touchable finish.

Warning! This is now discontinued and should be completely gone by the end of February, so stock up now if you can't live without it. :-(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 9:56:00 AM More reviews by haihaistoopid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best product ever.

Su'gon Sur!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by amandamg61

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As mentioned in a previous review for Redken Touch Control I have the finest, thinnest, flattest hair it is possible to have and still have hair.
    After reading about Wool Shake on Makeup Alley I decided to give it a try (always looking for that hair-holy-grail). I first use my usual blob of Touch Control on damp hair and then spray 5-6 sprays of Wool Shake (after shaking the bottle really well) onto my hand and distribute it through my hair then blow dry as usual. If I want extra texture and control I then use 1-2 sprays on my hand and ruffle up my hair for that textured bed-head look. Then fix with hairspray. I know-a big palaver but it's worth it. My family thinks it is hilarious.
    I can't tell you how delighted I am with this product. It is absolutely the best thing I have EVER used on my hair. I just came back from 3 weeks in South East Asia. Usually I would be nearly in tears after 5 minutes in the humidity with my hair dripping and plastered to my scalp. Not this time. My hair looked almost as good at the end of the day as it did after I had just styled it. It was nothing short of a miracle. I can't praise this product enough. Please, everyone with fine hair, race out and buy it. I have just bought 3 more bottles and will be stocking up on more just in case it is discontinued, as Redken has a habit of doing. When I only have a few strands of hair left and I am in my 90s and totally decrepit I will still be using it (if I remember where/what it is)!
    One caveat-if you have very fine hair don't spray it directly on you hair, put it on your palms first. It can also be a little drying so give your hair a treatment now and then-but keep using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by lizzard11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

On my second bottle, use this on damp hair, I shake it, spray it in my palm (5 squirts) mix it it up and run it all over my head, then I take a pea size amount of tigi cocky and run that thru my hair. Blow dry with a diffuser and I've got the biggest, baddest hair out there. If my hair was one length this process would be the bomb, but I'm older and my hair just doesn't grow that length anymore, so I've got a short choppy bob. Love the texture I get from this, put a few large barrel (2") curls in it with a curling iron and I'm ready to go. Love it, love it love it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Tetonia

I have a lot of hair. But it's fine, so it's hard for me to get volume. I've tried gels, mousses, thickeners -- and found a few things that work. Redken Wool Shake is one of those products. When I want thickness and volume at the crown without worrying about whether it will go flat in 2 hours -- I reach for the Wool Shake.

I look like a fool when I'm applying this, I'm sure... but I hang my head upside down, section off portions of the crown and spritz the Wool Shake about 1" from the base of the roots. I wiggle my fingers back and forth along the root area to distribute the product. Then I move to another sectioned chunk and repeat.

When I stand up -- BIG EIGHTIES HAIR! Or, give it a minute and it calms down a tad into bed-head tousled hair.

You get quite a bit of product in the bottle for the price, but for me it's definitely on the "repurchase" list.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by EB88

I love this product. I'm on my second bottle but have been using it for about 2 years, it lasts FOREVER so brilliant value for money. You must must must shake this majorly before use, and I prefer to spray onto my hands than into my hair as the product is very sticky and a little goes a long way. My hair is thin and quite dry it's naturally quite straight and doesn't hold styles well unless I have a LOT of product, it's currently styled in a long bob, but I've used this product when I had hair which sat below the centre of my chest and it worked equally as well. When my hair was long this gave beach type texture and was fine to be sprayed directly onto the hair (normally I sprayed about the last 4 incase of hair) and scrunched for a messy look, now it's short I prefer to spray onto hands and twist and scrunch the ends, it gives a messy but styled look, also works well when hair is curled to give it a slightly "undone" more relaxed look. The product smells nice, I've had compliment on the smell of my hair after use. It can clog in the spray as it's quite thick but it's easily solved I suggest wiping after use with a moist wipe. I don't suffer with greasiness after using this product, but I don't often use it at the root, I find it works well on the ends paired with a texturising powder on the roots for grease free lift

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 2:54:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a product to finish styling my layered, chin-length bob, and found that the waxes and pomades just weren't doing the trick. After reading the reviews and tips here (thank you, MUAers!), I bought two travel-sized bottles on eBay. It is a bit fussy to figure out how and how much it works best on your hair type/style, but once you do, this stuff is magic. It gives great texture *with* hold (unusual in one product) in just a few spritzes. As long as you really shake it up and hold the container about a foot or so from your hair when you spray, it works great. And you can make your style wild or tame depending on how much you use and how much you tousle your hair after applying. I think the travel-sized bottle gives more control--it's easier to handle, and the amount sprayed each time is much less than with the full sized container. The scent is nice and dissipates quickly, and I have not found that it dries my hair out or makes it greasy. Great stuff, and I will repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 6:07:00 AM More reviews by daisysteiner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For reference, my hair is pretty thin at the top of my head (genes and health issues are a bitch), but not too fine. It's oilier at the roots and drier towards the ends, and I usually wear a haircut that goes about an inch or two below my chin.

Given all these things, I need to have some products at hand that can provide some lift and volume between washes. Along with dry shampoos, I like to use Redken Woolshake, because it gives a slightly different effect: It actually seems to lift my hair a bit at the roots and makes it more texturized, as promised. The difference isn't dramatic, but it's certainly there, my hair looks thicker for a longer time.

As for the way I use it: If I need to, I put on dry shampoo as usual and brush the excess out. Then I evenly spray a small amount of Wool Shake in my palms and gently squeeze it into my roots, brushing through my hair with my fingers at the end. Using a blow dryer tends to help, but it's not that necessary and I usually skip it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by RedLipsCatEyes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Talk about texture! A little goes a long way. A few sprays give great beach waves for me. Too many makes my hair look like dreads (I learned that the hard way). I love the musky smell. It's a great alternative to beach spray. Less drying than beach spray when using the right amount.