Spearmint Tea for Acne

3.9

on 8/23/2015 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Like stinging nettle tea, spearmint tea helps to balance hormones. Both spearmint and Nettle tea contain phenols that are android adaptive. Say for instance, you have melasma or hair loss due to estrogen dominance; spearmint and Nettle tea will balance your hormones. Likewise, both spearmint and Nettle tea control excess free testosterone in both men and women. spearmint tea has the unique ability to balance your hormones in either direction depending on what your body needs.
I drink a lot of spearmint, lemon balm, stinging nettle and licorice teas. Licorice is an interesting tea, and one you must be careful with.
But spearmint? Hey, go nuts. You have nothing to lose except maybe bad skin.

on 8/15/2015 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edited again to add: As I submit this review, I have been drinking spearmint tea for 6+ months. My acne has yet to return, nor has my excessive oil production. HOWEVER this is in addition to a good skincare routine and matte make up. The spearmint tea did more for my hormones that anything topical ever will, but it does require maintenance & dedication.
----------------------------------
Edited to add: The last box I bought had to be ordered online after a local grocery store stopped selling this. I will ONLY use pure spearmint... be sure to check the ingredient lists because a lot of "spearmint teas" are actually diluted with other herbs. Most people don't seem to realize this (I got recommendations for plenty of them by people that were clueless about this.) My favorite brand for pure spearmint is Alvita.
------------
I did not fully understand acne until my early twenties. I have spent the last 4 years studying it, and at 24 I finally got rid of my volcano-like cystic acne. I could write for days on the science behind it. However I'll save that for another time & make my review into a simple version that everyone can understand.

I tried topical products for years, hoping to clear up my acne. Hubner Silica Gel actually helped decrease my pimples because it absorbed all the oil when I wore it as a mask overnight. Alpha hydroxy acids helped exfoliate the skin, leading to less pimples forming. But addressing it internally? This has helped more than any topical product.

Spearmint tea has anti-androgen effects. Meaning it messes with your hormone levels and blocks (to a certain degree) your male sex hormones (testosterone). In turn, this has an effect on your skin. Less testosterone means less oil production. Less oil production, often means less acne.

Spearmint tea is a good way to decrease acne without needing a prescription. A lot of people turn to birth control in order to combat their acne. A simple explanation for why birth control pills often helps acne is because it changes hormone levels. But if you wanted to know a deeper explanation: the most popular birth control pills for acne have antiandrogen effects. Very similar to spearmint tea.

Another popular acne medication is Spironolactone (commonly referred to as "Spiro".) I was prescribed this by a dermatologist months ago after realizing my hormones were to blame for much of my oil production. Spironolactone is actually a medication for fluid retention treatment. However studies realized early on that it has an antiandrogen effect. A lot of long time acne suffers have found relief taking it. Once again, it works very similar to Spearmint Tea. (Note: I had to get off Spiro immediately due to adverse effects.)

The biggest drawback I've found is that spearmint tea will never be as effective as birth control pills with major anti androgen properties nor high dosages of Spiro. To see results I would recommend drinking it as frequently as you can (within reason). Drinking one glass every three days is not going to do anything for you. The more spearmint tea you drink, the more antiandrogen properties you'll have in your system. Another word of advice is give it some time before throwing in the towel. Sometimes birth control pills or Sprionolactone can take up to 6 months to make an effect on oil production. And Spearmint Tea is NOT NEARLY AS POTENT. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, just moreso that you'd need a much larger amount to get the equivalent of other options. I actually had some effects while only taking spearmint tea that I got while taking Yaz - spotting in between periods. Is that good? Obviously not. However it solidifies the impact spearmint tea has on hormones.

Now that I've explained that, let me tell you all about what having slightly less oily skin has done for me. My acne has dramatically reduced, my makeup doesn't look nasty by 1PM, and I can go all day without powder touch ups. YES this still requires a proper skincare routine and matte cosmetic formulas. But spearmint tea has still greatly contributed. My dermatologists used to want to put me on Accutane. The best part of my acne clearing up has been the realization that my Rosacea isn't nearly as bad as everyone assumed. There's no doubts about whether or not I have Rosacea, I definitely do. However my acne was so inflamed and widespread that when it began to clear up, my redness decreased by at least 50%.
There are some things I'd like for everyone to consider before giving antiandrogens effects a chance. Is your skin oily or dry? If it's dry, testosterone levels most likely aren't your problem. That's not to say a hormonal imbalance is out of question. HOWEVER spearmint tea does have the ability to worsen your acne...BECAUSE it has an effect on your hormones. This could go either way for you.
Other supplements or foods that may have an impact on hormones & thus acne:
-Hormones in lactose can potentially affect your hormone levels *negatively*. I found that giving up dairy helped clear up my skin ALMOST as good as spearmint tea. But a life without cheese isn't worth living...and spearmint tea still works better.
-Zinc can help.
-Vitamin D can help.
-Vitex supplements can help regulate hormones.
-Omega 3,6,9 can have various effects on hormones/acne
Other medications that can help:
-Accutane for a (potentially) permanent effect on your oil glands.
-Spironolactone as listed above (non-permanent, just like spearmint tea.. the chemistry behind it has VERY short half lives)
-doxycycline

I listed those above because they're worth looking into for anyone else trying to internally combat acne.
Edited to add: Just to make this CRYSTAL CLEAR, spearmint tea is NOT a birth control method even though it effects hormones. If any of you are using it as a contraceptive, I fully expect to see you on The Jerry Springer show in 10 month

on 7/2/2015 8:46:00 AM

Hi everyone. I haven't found any decent reviews about this tea specifically for hormonal acne without PCOS/hirsutism, so I decided to do one! I will be updating my progress frequently. I have been prescribed Retin-A Micro (0.04% w/w) along with Biacna (clindamycin phosphate:1.2%w/w and tretinoin 0.025%w/w) to use nightly in combination with Aczone (5%w/w dapsone gel) in the mornings since January 2015. Obviously these haven't been working for me, but it did get rid of my deep cystic acne. I just need to get rid of the hormonal (worst are pre-menstrual) pustules I get seemingly every few days.

June 27/15: I purchase David's tea Organic Spearmint and plan to drink 2 strong (I put 2.5 tsp of tea) cups per day as per recommendation on various websites.

July 2/15: Not even a full week yet, and I have only had 1 tiny pimple since I've been drinking the tea religiously (2 cups/day). No adverse effects to report on. I've noticed that my skin isn't as oily, and I haven't blotted my face at all today - crazy! I decided to up my "dose" to 3 cups/day. Will continue.

July 4/15: Week 1 has gone by. I'm happy to report that I have been acne-free (other than that small one which healed fast!) for this week. No new acne to report, no side effects. Will continue to update weekly at this point.

July 5/15: Ah, it seems as though I've jinxed myself because today I woke up with about 5 new tiny pimples right along my chin and jawline... Not too happy about this :(. Alas, I will keep drinking the same "dose" as above and see what happens. I'll report any changes next on July 11.

July 12/15: Sooooo... I decided to stop the spearmint tea for now and and take contraceptives since I saw my dermatologist last week (July 8) after breaking out really badly. I did ask her about spearmint tea's effectiveness for acne and she told me that she hasn't found any real benefit from it and preferred spironolactone (spiro) over it for reducing androgens/free testosterone. If the BCP doesn't work out for me, I WILL be trying the spearmint again. I realize I only tried it for a short time, but I would be willing to try it for longer.

on 5/19/2015 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Probably the number 1 thing that helped clear my acne. As a sufferer of PCOS, I have tried many medicines but I have to say this is the best! Along with taking supplements (Zinc, B6, and Saw Palmetto) ,diet changes (No dairy, no soy, no gluten, low sugar intake) and a simple skincare routine, this tea has saved my life. Not only is my cystic acne gone but also the annoying hairs on my breasts and stomach have not grown back! If you have PCOS, acne or not, please try this tea! You will be so happy you did. :)

on 4/30/2015 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I hate tea, so when I read about this I was hesitant. But I've been inexplicably breaking out around my chin and jaw lately, and this came up as an effective treatment. What the heck. I've tried so many other products that haven't made any difference. I picked up a box of McCormick's spearmint tea at Von's for $1.89. It was the only spearmint tea in the entire wall of tea, BTW. Not complaining. It was also the cheapest. So I started drinking a cup a day for the last week, and the breakouts have stopped. I noticed it working after only 3 days, actually. I just boil water, steep a bag for a couple of minutes and drink it. No sugar or anything else. Just tea. The taste doesn't make my gag anymore, but I still do not enjoy tea. It's worth it, though. I'm going to continue drinking this until I run out, and if the breakouts return, I guess I'm now a tea-drinker.

on 11/14/2014 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've been drinking Alvita organic spearmint tea for a little over two weeks now. I have dry skin and the majority of my acne is hormonal. Topicals are too drying and only irritate my skin so I decided to give this a try. I drink one or two cups a day and have seen an improvement in my acne. I have not gotten any large painful acne cysts since I started drinking this. As an added benefit this has also helped immensely with facial hair. I typically have to have my brows and lip waxed about every two weeks. I don't know if this slowed the hair growth, but I didn't need waxed at my last trip to the salon. A box of 24 tea bags can be bought for just a few dollars and is well worth the money.

on 11/4/2014 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have to say I have tried many facial removal products, all of them a waist of time. They either didn't work, irritated my skin or just major BS. Waxing is the worse anyone can do the face... that's a no no major no no. Tweezing causes ingrown hair that can will leave marks on your face. Threading is the best but can get expensive. So finally a tea that will reduce and just get rid of facial hari. Best thing ever... As i was reading I saw that some ladies complain about headaches, stomach problems, some felt loopy. Well it's all true, but I found a way to drink it and avoid some of these symptoms. It helped me and I hope it helps anyone who is new to this and is considering drinking it.
1. Drink 1 tea cup a day for the first week instead of 2 as it's recommended, let your body get familiar with the tea.
2.Drink it after meals or while your eating it will help your stomach.
3.Make sure it's organic and only spearmint it don't matter the brand.
4.Drink it, even if you don't see results right away not every one is the same.
5.while you are drinking the tea and need to remove facial hair , thread don't wax or tweez .
I hope this helps and yes best thing ever. Just keep an open mind that not everyone is the same and for some it may work faster than others. I hope it helps and good luck to eveyone!

on 10/12/2014 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So, I'm going to start this off with the same thing everyone else says: I've never written a review, but...
I just had to do it this time. I moved 5 months ago and from then have just suffered from the most horrendous, persistent hormonal acne I have ever experienced in my life. I knew it was hormonal acne because I would always get these red, huge anthill cysts along my jawline and chin. And these were painful.
So I tried DIM which worked for a bit, then read up on Chaste Tree Berry and tried that. If I could blast Chaste Tree Berry to the furthest reaches of hell, I would. It exacerbated my hormonal acne tenfold. Now I was waking up to about 2-3 new cysts a day, every day. Needless to say, aside from having to go to work, I turned down all social events and activities. I just had to! So I tossed the chaste tree, bought some spearmint tea and licorice root supplements and it's been gravy ever since then. The cysts have stopped (of course, the scarring is still there, but that's better than new, painful cysts everyday), my skin has cleaned itself up and now even my period comes on time and my PMS symptoms have decreased drastically.
Spearmint tea is known to be an anti-androgen, as is licorice root. So if you have hormonal acne and exhibit signs of PCOS, this could very well be the cure you need. Granted, I still get little pimples every now and then, but these are tiny ones that, for the first time, don't even make me blink twice and I only get them when I've eaten poorly and/or am incredibly stressed out.
Drink about 2-3 cups of tea a day and relax.
Acne sucks and that's an understatement, but, to sound hippy-dippy, there is a cure for everyone out there so keep on keeping on!

on 9/16/2014 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is honestly the only thing that will stop my hormonal acne. I have tried creams, washes, things from my doctor, etc. and nothing works as good as cup of spearmint tea a day. It took me about a week to see changes in my skin. Once I stopped the tea, my face started getting hormonal acne again. Also, if you have sore stomach, this stuff works like a charm. It tastes pretty good and is good for you.

on 8/17/2014 7:08:00 PM

Note: I haven't tried spearmint tea yet because I have recently started taking Vitex to see if it helps with my hormonal acne (but will update when I do). The main reason is I've been on vitex for about a week and a half now and I don't want to add in anything else until I can determine if vitex is working or not. But, I have been researching spearmint tea and am planning on using it in the future.

There are scientific studies that support its anti-androgen effects and data has shown its capable of reducing free testosterone levels in blood which can help with unwanted hair and acne. My main point of writing this post now is that I've noticed many people complaining about side effects such as being tired and having headaches. Spearmint/peppermint (and all tea in general) can inhibit iron levels! This would cause you to feel much more tired because even a small deficiency can cause symptoms. A way to offset this would be to incorporate more iron rich foods (especially heme iron sources- google a list) and not drink the tea two hours before or after consuming an iron rich meal. Also, vitamin c as shown to help the body absorb more iron.

So, in conclusion I wanted to write this to hopefully help some people who found that it helped with acne but eventually quit because they were experiencing these negative side effects. Try increasing your Iron and it may help!!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products