Spearmint Tea for Acne

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/2/2015 8:46:00 AM

Hi everyone. I haven't found any decent reviews about this tea specifically for hormonal acne without PCOS/hirsutism, so I decided to do one! I will be updating my progress frequently. I have been prescribed Retin-A Micro (0.04% w/w) along with Biacna (clindamycin phosphate:1.2%w/w and tretinoin 0.025%w/w) to use nightly in combination with Aczone (5%w/w dapsone gel) in the mornings since January 2015. Obviously these haven't been working for me, but it did get rid of my deep cystic acne. I just need to get rid of the hormonal (worst are pre-menstrual) pustules I get seemingly every few days.

June 27/15: I purchase David's tea Organic Spearmint and plan to drink 2 strong (I put 2.5 tsp of tea) cups per day as per recommendation on various websites.

July 2/15: Not even a full week yet, and I have only had 1 tiny pimple since I've been drinking the tea religiously (2 cups/day). No adverse effects to report on. I've noticed that my skin isn't as oily, and I haven't blotted my face at all today - crazy! I decided to up my "dose" to 3 cups/day. Will continue.

July 4/15: Week 1 has gone by. I'm happy to report that I have been acne-free (other than that small one which healed fast!) for this week. No new acne to report, no side effects. Will continue to update weekly at this point.

July 5/15: Ah, it seems as though I've jinxed myself because today I woke up with about 5 new tiny pimples right along my chin and jawline... Not too happy about this :(. Alas, I will keep drinking the same "dose" as above and see what happens. I'll report any changes next on July 11.

July 12/15: Sooooo... I decided to stop the spearmint tea for now and and take contraceptives since I saw my dermatologist last week (July 8) after breaking out really badly. I did ask her about spearmint tea's effectiveness for acne and she told me that she hasn't found any real benefit from it and preferred spironolactone (spiro) over it for reducing androgens/free testosterone. If the BCP doesn't work out for me, I WILL be trying the spearmint again. I realize I only tried it for a short time, but I would be willing to try it for longer.

on 5/19/2015 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Probably the number 1 thing that helped clear my acne. As a sufferer of PCOS, I have tried many medicines but I have to say this is the best! Along with taking supplements (Zinc, B6, and Saw Palmetto) ,diet changes (No dairy, no soy, no gluten, low sugar intake) and a simple skincare routine, this tea has saved my life. Not only is my cystic acne gone but also the annoying hairs on my breasts and stomach have not grown back! If you have PCOS, acne or not, please try this tea! You will be so happy you did. :)

on 4/30/2015 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I hate tea, so when I read about this I was hesitant. But I've been inexplicably breaking out around my chin and jaw lately, and this came up as an effective treatment. What the heck. I've tried so many other products that haven't made any difference. I picked up a box of McCormick's spearmint tea at Von's for $1.89. It was the only spearmint tea in the entire wall of tea, BTW. Not complaining. It was also the cheapest. So I started drinking a cup a day for the last week, and the breakouts have stopped. I noticed it working after only 3 days, actually. I just boil water, steep a bag for a couple of minutes and drink it. No sugar or anything else. Just tea. The taste doesn't make my gag anymore, but I still do not enjoy tea. It's worth it, though. I'm going to continue drinking this until I run out, and if the breakouts return, I guess I'm now a tea-drinker.

on 11/14/2014 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've been drinking Alvita organic spearmint tea for a little over two weeks now. I have dry skin and the majority of my acne is hormonal. Topicals are too drying and only irritate my skin so I decided to give this a try. I drink one or two cups a day and have seen an improvement in my acne. I have not gotten any large painful acne cysts since I started drinking this. As an added benefit this has also helped immensely with facial hair. I typically have to have my brows and lip waxed about every two weeks. I don't know if this slowed the hair growth, but I didn't need waxed at my last trip to the salon. A box of 24 tea bags can be bought for just a few dollars and is well worth the money.

on 11/4/2014 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have to say I have tried many facial removal products, all of them a waist of time. They either didn't work, irritated my skin or just major BS. Waxing is the worse anyone can do the face... that's a no no major no no. Tweezing causes ingrown hair that can will leave marks on your face. Threading is the best but can get expensive. So finally a tea that will reduce and just get rid of facial hari. Best thing ever... As i was reading I saw that some ladies complain about headaches, stomach problems, some felt loopy. Well it's all true, but I found a way to drink it and avoid some of these symptoms. It helped me and I hope it helps anyone who is new to this and is considering drinking it.
1. Drink 1 tea cup a day for the first week instead of 2 as it's recommended, let your body get familiar with the tea.
2.Drink it after meals or while your eating it will help your stomach.
3.Make sure it's organic and only spearmint it don't matter the brand.
4.Drink it, even if you don't see results right away not every one is the same.
5.while you are drinking the tea and need to remove facial hair , thread don't wax or tweez .
I hope this helps and yes best thing ever. Just keep an open mind that not everyone is the same and for some it may work faster than others. I hope it helps and good luck to eveyone!

on 10/12/2014 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So, I'm going to start this off with the same thing everyone else says: I've never written a review, but...
I just had to do it this time. I moved 5 months ago and from then have just suffered from the most horrendous, persistent hormonal acne I have ever experienced in my life. I knew it was hormonal acne because I would always get these red, huge anthill cysts along my jawline and chin. And these were painful.
So I tried DIM which worked for a bit, then read up on Chaste Tree Berry and tried that. If I could blast Chaste Tree Berry to the furthest reaches of hell, I would. It exacerbated my hormonal acne tenfold. Now I was waking up to about 2-3 new cysts a day, every day. Needless to say, aside from having to go to work, I turned down all social events and activities. I just had to! So I tossed the chaste tree, bought some spearmint tea and licorice root supplements and it's been gravy ever since then. The cysts have stopped (of course, the scarring is still there, but that's better than new, painful cysts everyday), my skin has cleaned itself up and now even my period comes on time and my PMS symptoms have decreased drastically.
Spearmint tea is known to be an anti-androgen, as is licorice root. So if you have hormonal acne and exhibit signs of PCOS, this could very well be the cure you need. Granted, I still get little pimples every now and then, but these are tiny ones that, for the first time, don't even make me blink twice and I only get them when I've eaten poorly and/or am incredibly stressed out.
Drink about 2-3 cups of tea a day and relax.
Acne sucks and that's an understatement, but, to sound hippy-dippy, there is a cure for everyone out there so keep on keeping on!

on 9/16/2014 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is honestly the only thing that will stop my hormonal acne. I have tried creams, washes, things from my doctor, etc. and nothing works as good as cup of spearmint tea a day. It took me about a week to see changes in my skin. Once I stopped the tea, my face started getting hormonal acne again. Also, if you have sore stomach, this stuff works like a charm. It tastes pretty good and is good for you.

on 8/17/2014 7:08:00 PM

Note: I haven't tried spearmint tea yet because I have recently started taking Vitex to see if it helps with my hormonal acne (but will update when I do). The main reason is I've been on vitex for about a week and a half now and I don't want to add in anything else until I can determine if vitex is working or not. But, I have been researching spearmint tea and am planning on using it in the future.

There are scientific studies that support its anti-androgen effects and data has shown its capable of reducing free testosterone levels in blood which can help with unwanted hair and acne. My main point of writing this post now is that I've noticed many people complaining about side effects such as being tired and having headaches. Spearmint/peppermint (and all tea in general) can inhibit iron levels! This would cause you to feel much more tired because even a small deficiency can cause symptoms. A way to offset this would be to incorporate more iron rich foods (especially heme iron sources- google a list) and not drink the tea two hours before or after consuming an iron rich meal. Also, vitamin c as shown to help the body absorb more iron.

So, in conclusion I wanted to write this to hopefully help some people who found that it helped with acne but eventually quit because they were experiencing these negative side effects. Try increasing your Iron and it may help!!

on 6/23/2014 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a super easy cheap way to keep hormones, oil, and acne in check. I try to drink a cup a day. Or at least every couple days.

on 3/24/2014 1:00:00 AM

So I was diagnosed with PCOS just over a year ago. After coming off the pill almost two years ago, my period has been all over the place. I have started drinking two cups of this everyday and I am pretty sure this is the reason why my period has come right on 28 days for the past 4 months now. Some may think it is coincidence but after trying everything from Vitex, to evening primrose oil, apple cider vinegar, to other natural alternatives this was the best thing to have worked for me.

I am from Australia so I have just brought lose leaf spearmint tea from a local health shop and used it with a tea strainer.

As a natural product, you have nothing to lose if you try it. I don't know if it has helped a great deal with hormonal acne- but for period regulation this is a god send.. Hoping it works for you all also!

Popular Treatments (Face)