Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have been using Retin-A since my early 20's when I began to suffer from cystic acne, and I have never really stopped using it - over 25 years. YOU MUST WEAR SUNBLOCK if you use this. I always put on sunblock, always. I wish I had been this vigilant when I was in my twenties - would have saved me some money on laser treatments.
If you are a young woman just starting to use Retin-A (or Tazorac) - and cursing your acne - trust me, you will be laughing later when you look ten years younger than your friends. Wear red lipstick, take it easy on the make-up, and be your own beautiful self.
If you are an older woman who was just prescribed this: 1) don't put it on a wet face 2) apply a moisturizer over the Retin-A - and you will want to stock up on sensitive skin moisturizers (Cerave, Eucerin) - and take it easy on your foundation if you start to peel a little. Too much make-up will just look worse. Clinique makes a good loose powder with a yellow tone that will be a big help.

on 5/9/2015 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Forget all other skincare products and claims. This is the HG of age fighters -- and this is backed up by hundreds of scientific studies.

I've been using Retin-A (tretinoin) cream off and on for about 10 years or so. It's always made me break out so bad I've had to stop (I've never stuck with it long enough to get past the much-dreaded "purge"). What's making it work this time is I mix my .025% cream with topical clindamycin (my dermo also recommended mixing in a bit of Cortizone 10, but I skip this step; you may try adding Corizone 10 if you have significant redness). Just a pea-size dab of the tretinoin is all you need. I cleanse with mild Purpose -- it's very important to ensure you wash off all traces of your makeup every single night. Every other night, I swirl tretinoin with the clin in the palm of my hand, and the clin staves off any purge that's associated with the tretinoin. I put it on my dry, clean face, and then about two hours later, I put on my moisturizer (Whole Foods 365 brand, which is non-comedogenic). I deep-clean and exfoliate with once-a-week home facials: PMD microdermabrasion, steam, mud, extractions, high-frequency wand, moisturizer. Drinking about two liters of water a day helps skin glow with hydration. This routine helps keep my acne and melasma at bay. My skin is super clear and smooth. I was once a dedicated sun worshipper (I stopped all tanning eight years ago, when I turned 30), so tretinoin is an absolute MUST to repair all the damage. Tretinoin is the only product that can repair the damage with quantifiable results; read the science! It's all over Google. (Glycolic acid also helps repair sun damage but not to the extent tretinoin does.)

Good luck. Don't go too fast with this stuff. It can burn. Patience is key! For the love of God, stay out of the sun and always wear SPF 30+.

on 5/7/2015 5:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

It broke me out badly, after a month not using this, i still got a new acnes bcos of this
At first i want to use this for anti aging, but well...didnt went well, i got acne after acne, really a regret for using this cream

on 5/5/2015 4:50:00 PM

5 stars because it works, only when I workout my face burns from sweating (real bad) . My face turns red, the whole day, & itchy. Planning to have a wet towel next time, and pat before it boils my skin

on 4/17/2015 1:51:00 AM

Im a religius retinol user, since 5 years ago (im 32 now) once i hit 30 i started to use Retin A and no more on the counter expensive retinol creams. it helped me with my acne scars from my youth and cleaned up my pores. i only used it one week straight at night then off for two weeks and then a week again. just make sure to use a very good spf in the morning and since it can be very drying i like to use it a pea size amount after my hydrating toner/lotion (i use hada laba hyaluronic lotion) let it sit for 30mnt and moisturise with Sunday Riley face oil.

on 4/14/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Got a prescription for this and am using a pea size amount all over the face at night. Can take a few months to see results so I will update you. Must wear SPF!
So far it's too irritating for me to use daily.

on 4/5/2015 12:17:00 AM

Best treatment I have tried so far for acne but also the most potent and therefore should be used correctly and carefully.

First, it will most likely dry out your skin a bit in the beginning, you will probably get some flakiness and peeling. Give it some time and peeling will eventually stop, it's part of the exfoliating process. I would highly recommend starting with lower concentration initially. And start slow, once every few days or so and slowly build up. Also remember to balance out the dryness with good oil-free mositurizer.

Second, use it only at night and follow the instructions. DO NOT put it on right after the shower, the mositure on your skin will worsen the peeling. Wait for 15 minutes, then apply the cream. DO NOT use it as a spot treatment, instead take a pea sized amount and then gently spread out on your skin. Using it as a spot treatment will also worsen the peeling. The cream is also great for fading acne scars and preventing wrinkle, so it will exfoliat your skin all around. At last wait for an hour for the cream to sink in then apply oil free moisturizer. Another option is to do all your routine first and wait for some time, then put this on right before going to bed.

Third, which is probably the most important. USE SUNSCREEN in the morning. Its not an option, its a most!!!

With some patience, this cream can give you good results. It seriously even out my skin and greatly shorten the life span of my acne. Great product that every woman should try.

on 3/27/2015 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Here are some tips to anyone looking to get good results with retin a:

-Sunscreen is very, very important. I don't care if the only sun you get is through sitting by a window or driving in your car - this is vital. Retin A chemically exfoliates the skin and leaves you very photosensitive. You can actually worsen the exact issues you are trying to undo by going sans sunscreen. Wrinkles, freckles, scars, sunspots... you better be using SPF. (Tip: If you hate oily sunscreens check out Biore Perfect Face Milk PA++++)

-Start with every three days until your skin adjusts. If you start off by using this every night, even with a small percentage, it's going to make your skin peel. Eventually your skin will be able to handle it & you'll be able to use it nightly.

-If your skin starts to peel, moisturize. Do not attempt to rip parts off. Yeah the lizzard look is ugly, however, peeling skin off before it's ready will also undo any positive effects. Very similar to TCA acid peel healing.

-I'd recommend staying away from retin a if you have rosacea, are more prone to sun damage, are going to get IPL/laser treatments done within 6 months, or are on any other drugs that will leave you more photosensitive.

Now, here's my experience with retin a. I like it, because it is insanely effective. Retin A works better than AHAs because it penetrates a deeper layer of skin. That's how it works so good. However - I can not use it. I have very sensitive skin & rosacea. I am naturally very prone to sun damage. Even SPF 50 and a heavy moisturizer can't save me from the burning of this product. I will have to stick to a lower percentage, mild AHA toner. But for everyone else out there... this is worth a shot. The science does back up the claims.

on 3/27/2015 8:34:00 AM

At 54, with fine wrinkles appearing (but not alot, I actually don't look 54, so my goal was to stay that way!), I thought I'd give Retin-A it a try. I have a very good dermatologist, who told me to do the following:
- start out at every other day for 2 weeks
- apply to face, neck, chest, and backs of hands
- only apply at night (his philosophy: repair in pm, restore in am)
- apply on skin that has been dry for 20 minutes--applying to moist skin increases burning. Wait 15 minutes and apply moisturizer (keep in mind that Retin-A has some moisturizing capabilities, so in a humid area, extra moisturizer might be an option).
- if all goes well, go on to do this every night.

I followed this regimen, and haven't looked back--it is *amazing*--and cheap! While I had to go through a getting-used-to process of slightly irritated skin on my throat and chest (some prescription cream in the morning for the irritations eased that), it was worth getting through that hump. My skin is so soft, and my throat and backs of hands, which is where the appearance of aging was occurring slightly more, is remarkably smooth looking.

And...as a prescription on my health care insurance, my co-pay is $7 a month. It can't get better than that. Coupled with my a.m. routine of alternating a DIY Vitamin C serum and Paula's Choice BHA (an a.m. treatment suggested by my derm), I've settled on an anti-aging skin-care regimen. If I find that the BHA gets too expensive, I can always just do the Retin-A/Vit C treatment for pennies. That's what I started with and it was great, so I'd be just as thrilled.

on 3/25/2015 5:33:00 PM

I wish I could use this, as it is the gold standard treatment for large pores and acne AND fine lines, but my poor skin can not take it. No matter how I space it out or apply it ( under or over lotion), my poor skin burns, flakes, peels and purges FOREVER.

Popular Treatments (Face)