Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte - Ultimate Beige #003

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I was initially attracted to these lipsticks by their pretty packaging. It looks really beautiful, ornamental and unique. So while my overall rating for this product is low, it's definitely not due to the packaging. But in the end, what counts are the contents and that's where this falls short.
- Very strong, unpleasant smell, somewhat similar to Estée Lauder's chemical fig scent
- Greasy formula
- Very poor longevity on my lips
- Pigment is very sheer
All in all, these lipsticks performed more like a lip balm, but that's not what they are marketed as and not what I was looking for. I'm aware that scents are highly personal, some may even like it, but for me the strong scent of these lipsticks is a deal breaker, therefore I recommend applying this lipstick before making the investment. The shades swatched better on the back of my hand, but obviously that doesn't help much because that's not where lipstick is supposed to be worn. On my lips, the pretty shades came out too sheer for my liking.
It is a pity, because the stunning packaging would make these a pleasure to carry around if the lipstick formula lived up to the expectations that the pretty tube created.

Boy, I really do not get the buzz about these YSL lipsticks. Yes, the packaging is pretty..luxurious, feminine, pretty!! But to me, all frills and no performance, no thank you.

First off, I notice a really odd scent and taste with these. Taste? Yes, when a lipstick is on your lips, you can't help but taste it, especially one that has an odd taste. I can't explain it, maybe a chemical taste..? But to me, there is no place in a lip product in the year 2016 for odd taste or smell, especially when you factor in the price.

This does not dry my lips, which I can appreciate with the terrible drying matte lip trend. However, while it is not drying, it actually feels greasy and slippery on my lips. And again, for the price, why..?

To me this is just a poor performing product with bad attributes that do not merit the hefty price tag, not when you can find similar shades out there, that look and feel and perform better, even though they do not come with the pretty packaging.

Lastly, I just did not care for this shade on my lips. It looks pretty in the tube, totally like a MLBB (my lips but better) shade, but for whatever reason, on my lips, it pulls a weird surprising shade of orange tinge to it. And again, for the price, why does it not look like it should..? I don't like bringing up the price over and over, but for the price tag, I just find this performs very poorly, is not a pretty shade on me once it is on (for reference, I am NC20) and the odd taste and smell are the final turn-offs for me. It also turns an even more bizarre, unflattering garish shade on me as the day wears on. Also, I only get about an hour or so wear-time out of this.

I would recommend swatching and testing these on your lips (not the back of your hand) to see how these truly look and feel on you, and how they wear on you, before plunking down the $$ for these. I did swatch a couple other shades at Sephora, to give the product another chance, and the shades all pull bizarre, unflattering colors on me.

I am jealous of those whom this looks gorgeous and natural on. I wish it looked as pretty on me. But I won't re-purchase any of these. Disappointed. :(

This lipstick is my everyday holy grail at the moment, because the shade is exactly what I've been looking for! I actually randomly picked this shade up at Sephora without trying it on my lips, but turns out I love it! It is a warm red-brown nude that fades into a perfect MLBB colour throughout the day. For one thing, I've never thought of purchasing a nude lipstick before, because I have very pale lips due to constant eczema as a child. I thought nude lipsticks would look horrible and washed-out on me. This colour is a total exception! It makes my lips look as though I have a flush of beautiful natural pigment without wearing anything.

Pros:
- Beautiful shade! Looks like MAC's velvet teddy - a mauvy, warm red-brown nude perfect for everyday natural wear
- Pigmented, but very smooth and silky without drying out my lips (do moisturize with a lip balm beforehand though!). This is by far the smoothest lipstick I've ever tried, mainly because my lips are super sensitive and get dry really easily, so I'm very picky when it comes to such products.
- Smells like yummy fruit (and the scent fades off very quickly as well, if you're not a fan)
- Long-lasting
- No glitter particles (I hate those!)
- No harmful ingredients such as lead

Cons:
- Very pricey

I keep coming back to this shade from this particular brand. Yves saint laurent Rouge volupte formula is water weight, yet pigment packed lipstick that amuses me every application time. I love the scent too as it relaxes me!

This is a pretty nude, but slightly darker than the pinky nude that is so popular right now. It's kind of boring on me, doesn't really perk up my N/NW10-15 face or unpigmented lips. Has a strange smell that doesn't seem to linger. It's glossy, so the wear time is poor. I've had it for a long time, but I don't use it that often because I have so many prettier lip colors. At this price point ($35), I would rather have one of the NARS Audacious lipsticks.

I do really love the colour of this on my complexion! A silky smooth nude colour! I love wearing this on top of Mac Mehr with my favourite lip pencil - Clarins bay rose. Rouge Volupte lipsticks make my lips feel amazing and prevent them from drying out!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ordered this online thinking it would be a perfect your lips but better shade... was wrong. SUPER brown. At least when I was at my lightest. I think this is more for women of color. Not for lighter skin girls! I really wish this was pinker. :( I had such high hopes, as I really like almost all YSL products. But not all colors are meant for everyone! Returned it as soon as I got it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This lipstick is beautiful! So elegant and luxurious. It's very creamy and it lasts a decent amount of time. I've seen some negative reviews about it being cheap feeling and not lasting at all but I think they tried the Rouge Volupte SHINE version.
The packaging is oh, so beautiful, like a jewel.
The downside is that is really expensive (here at around 35 euro) so I am not sure if I will ever buy another one, it's upsetting that the prettiest shades were limited edition, those in the permanent one are pretty generic and you can find dupes for them in the drugstore. Like for example for number 11 (rose cult) a great dupe is revlon's "Cherries in the snow" where you have a 35 euro vs a 10 euro similar product so why would you spend those 25 extra?
Honestly though, if I ever have extra money to spend I would purchase another just because it's so luxurious!

If you are nc30-35 then this is a perfect soft nude on our skin tone. I am so in love with this beautiful formula. Goes on like a dream and the color is very opaque. Its definitely MLBB yet noticeable. It lasts about 4 to 5 hours on my lips and keeps them very soft and hydrated. Ysl did an amazing job with these lippies aknd i am looking forward to including some more of these gems in my collection.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wear this for work and it is just a bit darker and less red than my natural lip but looks great, very 'my lips but better' so I don't worry about extreme fading or having a ring of colour around the edge of my lips and nowhere else. I have yellow-toned/olive skin, NC30ish in MAC terms and this was what the YSL SA recommended and I've been wearing this colour for probably over a year.

Pigment is amazing, great colour payoff. Staying power isn't amazing, but not horrid either, at work I will reapply every 3-4 hours.

Overall - beautiful shade, non-drying on my lips and looks great for daily wear. Cons for me are the price, formula is slightly greasy and may sink into lines around the mouth, and the heavy and slightly ridiculous packaging. I swear this is the heaviest lipstick tube I have ever held. It must weigh like a pound. It's pretty, sure - but it's like my lipstick is wearing more gold bling than my entire workplace put together.

Recommended for Medium Skin